Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-21-2013, 11:24 PM   #31
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Zoidberg View Post
When I purchased Lifetime for my XL4, they allowed me to get Lifetime for my HD for $99.
I'll bet that the devil in the details is that the HD had been on a monthly plan, and had been so for at least a couple years. They wanted that HD to remain a subscription they could count in their quarterly reports, rather than risk it being discontinued and put in a closet.

Sometimes it actually DOES pay to be a monthly subscriber.

Timing is everything, though. It's hard to predict the best course, when you don't know what they are or aren't going to offer and when.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:16 AM   #32
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNJpage1 View Post
DCIFTHS, because of a date in the programing of Tivo Desktop, it caused a problem where you couldn't transfer programs from your Tivo to the computer. Every one had to go in and edit a file in the software.
I think it was actually a hard date coded into the TiVo software, because although they issued a patch for Desktop that apparently did the same thing as the workaround invented here, they had to issue updates for S2 and S3 software, and didn't issue an updated version of Desktop.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:59 AM   #33
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNJpage1 View Post
DCIFTHS, because of a date in the programing of Tivo Desktop, it caused a problem where you couldn't transfer programs from your Tivo to the computer. Every one had to go in and edit a file in the software.
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
I think it was actually a hard date coded into the TiVo software, because although they issued a patch for Desktop that apparently did the same thing as the workaround invented here, they had to issue updates for S2 and S3 software, and didn't issue an updated version of Desktop.
Thanks for the info.
DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 06:22 PM   #34
jlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigaguy View Post
Yay, for us newbies wanting Premiere deals. New Roamio purchasers can now lifetime their Premieres for $99 or $199 to sell them off.
...now to find a lifetimed 4 tuner...
Is that for sure? I'd definitely buy a Lifetime Roamio just to get $99 Lifetime on my Premier.
jlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:36 PM   #35
midlomuncher

My Premiere (2TB) on a $99 annual sub was up in September. I called to cancel the service.

The rep asked if I wanted to transfer it with the sub to someone. I said no and that I was going to stick it in the closet.

They came back with a $199 Lifetime offer. I said no and then asked for $99 Lifetime. The rep had to ask the supervisor. They approved the $99 Lifetime. I agreed and then sold it on ebay for $375 minus fees.

I had already purchased a Roamio Pro with Lifetime and I'm a long time TiVo subscriber.
midlomuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:55 AM   #36
overFEDEXed

Mixed offers on my Tivo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
I'll bet that the devil in the details is that the HD had been on a monthly plan, and had been so for at least a couple years. They wanted that HD to remain a subscription they could count in their quarterly reports, rather than risk it being discontinued and put in a closet.

Sometimes it actually DOES pay to be a monthly subscriber.

Timing is everything, though. It's hard to predict the best course, when you don't know what they are or aren't going to offer and when.
On my Premiere;

I have a two-tuner, that has been on its plan ($6.95) for years. The rep told me that I could sell it and transfer the plan with the box, then another rep said no.

Another rep said that I could transfer the $6.95 plan to an Elite, then the next rep said no. They said that the plan stays with the box???

On another call the rep said that they could offer me the $199 Lifetime, not the $99, because the box had not been on it's plan for at least three years???
Yes it has.

When I asked the rep about doing the $199 lifetime, could I transfer the $6.95 plan to a brand new, never activated two-tuner Premiere, they said no. It could only transfer to a active or recently deactivated box, not a new one.

On the HD's;

Way back when, I called Tivo to buy an Elite. They had already put the $150/$99 LT on my HD's for me. The rep said that I should buy some more HD's, put the $99 lifetime on them, then sell to cover the cost of a four tuner Elite. The "TOP" box, at that time. They did put the $99 LT on many more boxes. I don't even remember how many all together.

I have purchased over a dozen Tivo's, but on some of these $99 LT requests, I bought nothing from them. I guess that over the years, they made their money off of me. Who knows.

On the Roamio;

No deals that I have heard about, on plans. I did ask about transferring my $6.95 plan to a Basic. They said "Not yet, they are too new"

The Tivo reps say they put notes on your account when you call. My advice is if they make an offer, jump on it then and there, unless you like playing "The CSR roulette"
overFEDEXed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 08:51 PM   #37
BaileySVU2001

Before the Roamio's were released, I picked up a new XL4 at a steep discount on Amazon to replace an old Premiere. I called to cancel the Premiere and every time they gave me a free month to think about it. Finally it was due to bill again (at $19.99) and I called and said I wanted to cancel and they offered me $199 lifetime or a free moca adapter. Instead of canceling, the CSR gave me ANOTHER free month to think about it. I called back the next month to do the lifetime and the new CSR said that offer was no longer available and that I had been comp'd 7 of the last 12 months (very true). He also said the notes indicated that I had asked for a free moca adapter. So, I ended up canceling.

Talked to tech support tonight and they asked me how my free moca adapter was working out.
BaileySVU2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:41 AM   #38
gigaguy

I have a used Premiere basic I got 3 months ago in the box w/ slide remote, on the $15 month rate. Yesterday I got an insane CL deal for a New in the box XL4 w/lifetime and 3yr warr.

When I called TiVO to transfer over the XL4 I asked if there was any deal on my basic Premiere and they said yes, you can Lifetime it for $99. I was surprised...and paid it! Did they do that because I added the 'used' XL4? seems crazy to me. Everytime this used XL4 is sold Tivo will offer discounts to Tivos a buyer already has. How are they making money doing that? not complaining but...

Last edited by gigaguy : 12-12-2013 at 12:46 AM.
gigaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:17 AM   #39
BaileySVU2001

Very nice. I wonder how much leeway the CSR's have. Seems like there's different offers based on the CSR's mood.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:50 AM   #40
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigaguy View Post
I have a used Premiere basic I got 3 months ago in the box w/ slide remote, on the $15 month rate. Yesterday I got an insane CL deal for a New in the box XL4 w/lifetime and 3yr warr.

When I called TiVO to transfer over the XL4 I asked if there was any deal on my basic Premiere and they said yes, you can Lifetime it for $99. I was surprised...and paid it! Did they do that because I added the 'used' XL4? seems crazy to me. Everytime this used XL4 is sold Tivo will offer discounts to Tivos a buyer already has. How are they making money doing that? not complaining but...
CL?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:28 AM   #41
BaileySVU2001

I think that means Craigslist.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:20 PM   #42
gigaguy

yes Craiglist, the seller never used the XL4, but it was on his acct and transferred to my acct fine. Apparently he has 5-6 Tivos, including new Roamios. My older used Premiere must have been in service 3 years before me, but a few weeks ago when I called TiVo they said they could only lifetime it for $199 and that was only if I was buying a new Roamio. I guess it passed the 3 yr mark. They must do the $99 Lifetime on older Premieres if you also have an XL4 or a Roamio? I think they did mention the XL4 had been bought at full price.
I like how TiVo credits 2nd owners like they were the orig full price buyer, can't complain..

Last edited by gigaguy : 12-12-2013 at 08:32 PM.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:14 AM   #43
bobdole888

So what happens if I buy a Romio and get them to give me a $99 lifetime for my Premiere. If I later return the Romio, what happens to the Premiere that has been converted to lifetime?
bobdole888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 09:18 PM   #44
gigaguy

I think it stays lifetimed. but I wouldn't return the Roamio to Tivo, I would sell it 3rd party. The main effect on your Premiere, I think, is that you could not use it to leverage other discounts later on on other boxes you add to your acct. No multi-box discount off of it or other deals.

I considered this too, but I wouldn't return the Roamio, I'd sell it to someone.
Roamio has the 1 yr commitment, so if someone stops paying the monthly fee before 12 months, they will be charged the $75 early termination fee.

Last edited by gigaguy : 12-13-2013 at 09:23 PM.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:08 PM   #45
BaileySVU2001

I just talked to Tivo again about an old Premiere. They said since it's been deactivated for over 30 days it does not qualify for discounted lifetime. The best they can do is the multi-service discount (since I have a current XL4) of $12.95/month.

Was hoping to get it up and running again or the basement, but not at $12.95/month. Looks like it's back to the closet. Is there something I'm not doing right when I'm talking to tivo? Seems like discounted lifetime subscriptions are pretty easily obtained from reading the boards.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:42 PM   #46
gigaguy

I'm guessing that if you activate it for a couple of months TiVo might be more agreeable to offer lifetime discount on it. or jut keep calling and asking.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:45 PM   #47
davezatz
Funkadelic

I'd think TiVo would love having additional boxes to report on their quarterly call... no idea why they're not activating these old ones for cheap. I've got a 2-tuner Premiere that hasn't been powered up in like 10 or 12 months. And it'll never be powered up again unless they float me a $99 offer.
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 02:34 PM   #48
MeInDallas

I keep hoping that maybe that email will come thru like it did last year, at the end of 2012 for the $49 lifetime on deactivated boxes. I know some of us got them and some didnt. I've got several just sitting in the closet that will just sit there for years to come.
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:15 AM   #49
NJChris
Moogs!

I called to cancel my premiere since I got a roamio. The rep asked what I was going to do with it and I said "I don't know". He recommended selling it and he will flag it for the $99 lifetime if I sell it to someone within 3 months and gave me a credit on my bill for that. He said the person can call to transfer the Tivo to them and get the $99 lifetime when they do it.
NJChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:30 AM   #50
buscuitboy

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJChris View Post
I called to cancel my premiere since I got a roamio. The rep asked what I was going to do with it and I said "I don't know". He recommended selling it and he will flag it for the $99 lifetime if I sell it to someone within 3 months and gave me a credit on my bill for that. He said the person can call to transfer the Tivo to them and get the $99 lifetime when they do it.
I posted a Series 3 I have on Craigslist. It currently doesn't have any kind of subscription to it. I posted in the ad how its eligible for the $99 lifetime offer. I got someone interested.

They actually want to get the $99 lifetime offer on it, but says they don't have a TiVo account and were therefore told they can't get this offer. Says it can only be done for current subscribers. In turn, they want me to get it lifetimed and will then pay me the extra $100. I told them I will look into and I am not sure I want to mess with all that.

I know I was able to get this $99 offer in the past on another Series 3 when I initially subscribed (& made it the 4th TiVo on my account), but then "changed my mind" less than 30 days. They then basically offered me the $99 lifetime offer and then also credited the initial $9.99 from the first month.

Now, if I can maybe get TiVo to "flag" it for the $99 lifetime offer as mentioned here, this seems like a better & easier option. Of course, after lifetiming it, being able to sell it on ebay for slightly more then might be an even better option too.
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:34 AM   #51
gigaguy

Nor sure why you would assume a new subscriber could get a $99 deal. some longterm users with multiple active TiVos can't always get it.
I'm cautious I guess, but I would not pay for a used 'lifetimed' TiVo unless the unit is currently certified lifetime by TiVo.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:36 AM   #52
troasti

I just upgraded to roamio + mini and they are being shipped. I have two premieres. One I paid monthly sub for 3 years and they let me put lifetime on it for 99$. My question is the second premiere will have been on a monthly sub for 2 years at the end of the month. Will they offer lifetime for 199$ on it? Should I wait until it has been exactly 2 years to call?
troasti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 04:41 PM   #53
gigaguy

What would it hurt to call now? You never know. I assume it will be $199 to lifetime it if it's less than 3 years activation. at the least they can set it up to automatically process the $199 cc charge when it qualifies. The details will show up in your online tivo acct.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:01 PM   #54
bobdole888

Quote:
Originally Posted by troasti View Post
I just upgraded to roamio + mini and they are being shipped. I have two premieres. One I paid monthly sub for 3 years and they let me put lifetime on it for 99$. My question is the second premiere will have been on a monthly sub for 2 years at the end of the month. Will they offer lifetime for 199$ on it? Should I wait until it has been exactly 2 years to call?
I called to today to ask about a premier that I have for almost 1 year.
They gave me the $199 deal and scheduled for it switch over as soon as 1 year is up.
I asked for $99 deal, but the guy said only 3 year old unit qualify.
I didn't ask if they make exceptions. Anyway $199 was good enough for me.
Most likely I would have had to buy roamio to get $99, but I don't really need a roamio.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:27 AM   #55
Brighton Line

I purchased a Roamio Pro with the past Amazon deal and call Tivo to activate it with lifetime with the multi-discount. I have a Premier at $14.99 a month 1 year commitment and an Premier XL on a $99 a year.

I was told the standard Premier was only 2 years old and not eligible for $99 lifetime. The XL was eligible for $99 lifetime but the Customer Service rep did not want to give it to me since it just renewed $99 for the year in November.

I pleaded with her, saying I understand that I just paid, can you please give me the lifetime on it. She refused.

Then I said I was giving it as a gift it didn't matter I wanted to give it with lifetime. She relented and said she would do it. Gave the CC number and everything.

Two days latter, still the XL did not update to status 5 Lifetime, still at status 3 Good Standing but my Roamio did update to lifetime.

Called back and this is reflected online, she put in the $99 lifetime as the NEXT PLAN when my annual expires in November 2014.

So there is no way I can see to sell this box with lifetime as I can't take a screen shot of the info, I have an email saying my next service plain is lifetime but the email does not identify the TSN or anything that shows what box it is referring to.

I think the best bet for me is come 2/1/14 when my standard Premier comes off its annual commitment is to cancel service on that box. I don't need three boxes in Ten tuners with only two TV's. Both the Roamio Pro and XL have larger HD's.

Maybe when i cancel they might offer the $199 for that box, could still sell it at a profit.

Just don't know what to do...
Brighton Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 03:36 PM   #56
troasti

Quote:
Originally Posted by troasti View Post
I called to "cancel" the other premiere which I have paid a monthly sub for 2 years. They offered me a free month and to discount it to a monthly 9.99$/sub or 199$ lifetime. I asked about getting another 99$ sub and she said it had to be monthly for 3 years. I guess it would be a wash as it will be 3 years in 10 months. So 99$/month X 10 = 100$ Then it will be eligible for 99$ lifetime = 199$ lifetime sub. Anyways I guess I could keep calling and ask for a manager or something to try to get a lifetime for 99$.
troasti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 02:14 PM   #57
chef616

I have a lifetime premiere elite and a 2 tuner premiere that is on a monthly plan ($12.95). I called and told them that I was considering replacing the 2 tuner premiere with a mini, but wanted to see what type of deal I could get to add lifetime. They offered me the $99 lifetime sub and I took it. Call took about 5 minutes.
chef616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 05:01 PM   #58
bobdole888

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef616 View Post
I have a lifetime premiere elite and a 2 tuner premiere that is on a monthly plan ($12.95). I called and told them that I was considering replacing the 2 tuner premiere with a mini, but wanted to see what type of deal I could get to add lifetime. They offered me the $99 lifetime sub and I took it. Call took about 5 minutes.
Is your premier more than 3yr old?
Old 01-19-2014, 02:54 PM   #59
bacevedo

I have a Premiere that I got back in January 2011 that was set to auto renew tomorrow (1/20/2014) for the annual plan at $129. I called today and asked them if I could get a better deal, like $99, on lifetime because I was thinking of canceling my service. I wasn't lying, I have been thinking of canceling because we do almost all of our viewing through Roku and streaming.

The woman was very friendly and said that they are doing deals for premieres but it depends on how old it is. She said since mine is 3 years old, she could do lifetime for $99. There is no other device on my account, so this isn't tied to the purchase of a Roamio. I have had the annual plan on it since I owned it. I used to have two premieres, but sold the other one about 3 months ago.

So others might be able to call and get lifetime for $99 if your premiere is at least 3 years old. She seemed to imply that was the only requirement.

I was very happy with paying one final $99 fee to keep this premiere for recording some live OTA TV. We rarely use it, but it's nice to have for things that we can't stream.
bacevedo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 03:22 PM   #60
lujan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacevedo View Post

So others might be able to call and get lifetime for $99 if your premiere is at least 3 years old. She seemed to imply that was the only requirement.

I think she meant paying on it for at least 3 years right? I have a Premiere but I have never activated it and it should be around 3 years. Would I qualify if I've never used it? Also, I have 2 other Premiers with lifetime already so this would be the 3rd.
6 DVD
lujan is offline   Reply With Quote