TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-08-2014, 02:45 PM   #1
Keen

Do non-Netflix apps crash Roamios?

I see that there are still issues with the Netflix app crashing Roamios. Since I bought a Tivo to be a reliable tool for recording TV shows, this means I can't use the Netflix app. I'm curious if the crashes occur with the other Roamio applications. Especially Spotify's and Amazon's apps.
Keen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 02:54 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

I've only had Netflix crash my Roamio once and I use it all the time. I'm not sure why some people have problems and some don't, but I wouldn't just assume you'll have a problem just because there are people on this forum who do.

As for the other apps... Amazon can't crash the TiVo as it's an HME app, which means the actual app runs on a server and just sends the UI elements to the TiVo. (kind of like a remote desktop session on a PC) Spotify is a Flash based app so I guess it could. I don't know I've never used it myself.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 03:20 PM   #3
moyekj

Agreed, not everyone has Netflix issues. I've used Netflix a crazy amount last few weeks with my Roamio Pro and get SuperHD 1080p/24 quality every time and no reboots. There are people in these forums reporting quality and reboot issues, but I wouldn't assume that you will too based on that. I don't think there is any conclusive cause for the reported Netflix reboots either. I've heard network glitches may cause issues but I even tried pulling network cable while streaming Netflix and wasn't able to cause a reboot, so good luck to TiVo/Netflix people in charge of trying to fix reported issues since it doesn't sound like an easy thing to reproduce on the fly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 03:36 PM   #4
JosephB

I would think that intermittent problems and constant packet loss would probably be more likely to cause a crash than simply losing the network link entirely all at once.

Former: S1, S2 TiVos, UltimateTV, SD DirecTiVo (x3), SA 8300HD w/Passport Echo, DirecTV HR-24 (x2) , DISH 722k, DirecTV Genie + 2 mini
JosephB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 03:39 PM   #5
Keen

I'm not looking to discuss the Netflix crashes, there's plenty of threads you can discuss them in. I'm looking to learn if other apps can also cause Roamios to crash.
Keen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:00 PM   #6
Dan203
Super Moderator

I don't think I've ever seen a report of another app causing the entire TiVo to crash. I believe Netflix is unique in that ability.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:40 PM   #7
kbmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I don't think I've ever seen a report of another app causing the entire TiVo to crash. I believe Netflix is unique in that ability.
Pandora was causing reboots:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=507984

There was a fix in an update.

I'm a little shocked that Tivo hasn't been able to code the Roamio to protect itself from bad apps. I mean c'mon....it's 2014, when's the last time an app brought down an entire OS?

-Kevin
kbmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:53 PM   #8
Dan203
Super Moderator

My iPad rebooted the other day for no apparent reason. It's a brand new iPad Air running the latest iOS7.

Most of the apps on TiVo are being converted to HTML5 which will then run inside the Opera browser, so they should not be capable of crashing the entire machine. But right now there is still a mix of really old HME apps, the AdobeAir apps and the new HTML5 apps. The Netflix app is unique in that it doesn't appear to be AdobeAir nor is it HTML5. It's apparently a native app with low level access to the system, which is why it's able to crash the entire OS.

Although like I said I've only ever seen it do that once and I use the Netflix app a LOT.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:59 PM   #9
kbmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
My iPad rebooted the other day for no apparent reason. It's a brand new iPad Air running the latest iOS7.
That's a half-assed OS bringing itself down

Trust me, I've had plenty iOS7 reboots....but mostly they are springboard restarts, not the whole OS.

I really hope Tivo can re-code to make the core DVR functionality and core OS stand up to these apps......another app shouldn't ever bring down an entire OS.

-Kevin
kbmb is offline   Reply With Quote