TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 71 votes, 4.96 average.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:47 PM   #31
tim1724

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I'm still hoping that HTML5 support will open up the platform to more services. Amazon may not see <1 million subscribers as enough to dedicate resources to a special Adobe Air app, but HTML5 if universal and should run on any platform with a proper browser, so hopefully they will transition their app to HTML5 and then open it up to all platforms that support HTML5 like Netflix is doing.
I'm really hoping this is the case. And it does make sense. Why update the old app when a better development environment is coming soon?
tim1724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 06:07 PM   #32
CloudAtlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhinners View Post
I like Dan203's explanation. That's the only plausible reason I can come up with that Amazon would be happy with Roku but not with Tivo.
Amazon Prime on Roku is not HTML5 based. Roku's < 3 lack the hardware to handle the HTML5 client. It's also the reason why currently the latest Netflix app only runs on Roku3.

But Dan's right that with Series 4 & 5 having HTML5 runtimes companies have very little reason to NOT support TiVo with their HTML5 based apps.

But like Netflix companies need to rewrite their current Flash, SilverLight, or platform specific SDK (i.e Roku SDK) based apps as HTML5 apps. That will take time.

Just don't get your hopes up and you won't be disappointed.

Last edited by CloudAtlas : 12-11-2013 at 06:09 PM. Reason: grammar :)
CloudAtlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 06:22 PM   #33
Dan203
Super Moderator

The industry as a whole seems to be shifting toward HTML5 just because of it's cross platform nature and broad support. But it is taking time. I'm not sure Amazon even has an HTML5 based app yet. AFAIK all of their current apps are running on Flash based clients or native code. So we'll likely have to wait for them to deploy an HTML5 based app before we see it on TiVo.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:21 PM   #34
mattack

BTW, it's not on the $35 Google video thing either, right? If it were, that would be one thing to get me to get that..
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:52 PM   #35
CloudAtlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
BTW, it's not on the $35 Google video thing either, right? If it were, that would be one thing to get me to get that..
Google has it's own competing Play store for movies and will never allow Amazon Instant video on Chromecast. Apple iTunes is the reason why Amazon isn't on Apple TV.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:21 AM   #36
DigitalDawn

Personally, I would love to see VUDU support, as well.
DigitalDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:21 AM   #37
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Just FYI, if you're really seriously craving Amazon Prime videos (and Hulu, and many other goodies) on your Tivo, you can do it right now with PlayOn, pyTivo, and the pyTivo plugin for PlayOn:
http://pytivo.sourceforge.net/forum/...gin-t2460.html
The only cost is the PlayOn subscription and they have a 30 day return policy. A lifetime sub costs less than one year of Amazon Prime and there are other plans.
Couple of caveats:
1. No HD, but mpeg2 videos at 4.2 Mbps which isn't too bad.
2. Best to have a quad-core CPU in the PC running PlayOn and pytivo.
PlayOn now has an HD extra-cost option, but it doesn't allow the pyTivo plugin to do HD -- the limitation is intrinsic to the PlayOn plugin.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:29 PM   #38
b_scott
TiVo Fan

Message From Customer Service
Hello,

You can purchase and download, but not stream, Amazon Instant Video titles to your TiVo. Because streaming is not supported at this time, you can't stream Prime Instant Video titles on your TiVo.

We are working to expand our Prime Instant Video service to a broader selection of devices in the future.

Also, I’ve taken your concern about making the Prime Instant Video content compatible with "TiVo" as a feedback and forwarded your comments on to our Amazon Instant Video Development Team to consider as soon as possible.

Thank you for letting us know what you want from our digital video service. It is always important for us to hear how customers react to all aspects. Your valuable feedback will help us to improve the selection and service we provide.

The Amazon Instant Video Development Team will carefully review your suggestion.

Thanks for your patience and helping us to increase the compatible devices available for Prime Instant Video content. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Best regards,
Amithvikram A
b_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:29 PM   #39
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenanSR View Post
I don't even know why it's in the TiVo software, the app in it's current form is garbage, remove it and use the HDD and menu space for something useful.
TiVo is my go to box for watching Amazon content I rent or purchase since it is typically downloaded in 1080P24. For Prime streaming I use my Roku. But I rarely use Prime streaming since Netflix is what I primarily use for streaming. And the TiVo Roamio/Mini is also my primary Netflix viewer.

Amazon streaming only accounts for 1/20th the bandwidth that netflix streaming does. Amazon streaming is still very small compared to Netflix so I guess it's not a priority. Of course it would be nice to have it on the TiVo, but I'm not going to hold my breath.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:31 PM   #40
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Just FYI, if you're really seriously craving Amazon Prime videos (and Hulu, and many other goodies) on your Tivo, you can do it right now with PlayOn, pyTivo, and the pyTivo plugin for PlayOn:
http://pytivo.sourceforge.net/forum/...gin-t2460.html
The only cost is the PlayOn subscription and they have a 30 day return policy. A lifetime sub costs less than one year of Amazon Prime and there are other plans.
Couple of caveats:
1. No HD, but mpeg2 videos at 4.2 Mbps which isn't too bad.
2. Best to have a quad-core CPU in the PC running PlayOn and pytivo.
PlayOn now has an HD extra-cost option, but it doesn't allow the pyTivo plugin to do HD -- the limitation is intrinsic to the PlayOn plugin.
Didn't PlayOn recently start HD streaming? I I thought I read about it on Zatz? I've had PlayOn for a while but never really used it because it was only SD in the past.

Now that I've setup a new, lower power, TiVo Desktop PC, I guess it's time I revisit PlayOn if I can get HD streaming from it.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:07 PM   #41
keenanSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
TiVo is my go to box for watching Amazon content I rent or purchase since it is typically downloaded in 1080P24. For Prime streaming I use my Roku. But I rarely use Prime streaming since Netflix is what I primarily use for streaming. And the TiVo Roamio/Mini is also my primary Netflix viewer.

Amazon streaming only accounts for 1/20th the bandwidth that netflix streaming does. Amazon streaming is still very small compared to Netflix so I guess it's not a priority. Of course it would be nice to have it on the TiVo, but I'm not going to hold my breath.
Yes, I suppose it is useful for that, I hadn't considered that as I don't currently have a 1080p/24 display, something I hope to rectify come Feb/Mar when the prices drop in front of the new models being released.
keenanSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:14 PM   #42
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Didn't PlayOn recently start HD streaming? I I thought I read about it on Zatz? I've had PlayOn for a while but never really used it because it was only SD in the past.

Now that I've setup a new, lower power, TiVo Desktop PC, I guess it's time I revisit PlayOn if I can get HD streaming from it.
Yes PlayOn now offers HD options, at extra cost, for both PlayOn and PlayLater. Cost depends on what subscription terms you have but if you buy a lifetime sub to PO and PL, the cost for HD is $14.99. Max res is 720p.

Unfortunately there are limitations intrinsic to the pyTivo PlayOn plugin that limit it to SD quality -- 16:9 aspect ratio but not HD. I don't see this changing soon or ever.

If you're interested in PlayOn HD in general you should look at this thread on the PlayOn forum:
http://www.playon.tv/forum/general/g...onplaylater-hd
where the question of what video sources can provide HD via PlayOn is discussed. So far the sources identified are Amazon, Netflix and Hulu Plus. At this time the Netflix HD streams are not working with PlayOn HD but they are working on the problem. Unless other HD sources are identified, the current ones may not impress the many people who already have ways to stream them. However PlayLater HD does provide a way to record them in HD for later playback (but not on your Tivo).

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 07:37 PM   #43
jk5598224

I want to download but not stream in my case since my Comcast Internet Service sucks.

It appears the Tivo Amazon App does not recognize the Amazon Prime Account? Does sending the ''Prime Eligible' movie to a Tivo Device work without charges?

Amazon's movies search in Amazon.com is not the easiest to use.
jk5598224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:03 PM   #44
Marc
Now Legally Married

TC CLUB MEMBER
Amazon's Prime streaming is available only via streaming. If you want to download content, even if it's available for Prime to stream, you have to pay to rent or buy it. Since TiVo doesn't include any streaming support, it doesn't work with the Prime streaming benefit.

Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:03 PM   #45
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudAtlas View Post
Google has it's own competing Play store for movies and will never allow Amazon Instant video on Chromecast. Apple iTunes is the reason why Amazon isn't on Apple TV.
Google already supports HBO Go, Hulu Plus, and Netflix (all paid video services). The reason it is not on the Chromecast is not because of Google. Amazon has never added their Amazon Prime Video app to Android (except on their own App Store). The reason is because of Amazon not Google.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 12:42 AM   #46
Hot4Bo
Finally an Avatar!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I wish I could stream the first season of Chicago Fire in HD. My brother hasn't seen it and I'd love to show it to him but I don't really want to pay to do it. The second season is available on nbc.com. I have no idea why they don't have them all but I wish Amazon had it.

Hot4Bo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 05:20 PM   #47
etherknight

Just wanted to chime in here to say that the absence of Prime streaming on TiVo is not due to audience size or the age of your TiVo hardware.

I have a Vizio TV with embedded VIA "Internet Apps". These TV's are awesome but never really took off (hasn't been a new app developed for over a year). The user based for this app-enabled TV is likely well below TiVo's. Yet, one of the apps available is from Amazon and it allows Prime streaming.

I also have an XBox360 purchased in 2007 that offers Amazon Prime streaming. Incidentally, it also allows Comcast On-Demand -- not really sure how it does that since no CableCard is involved.

And it doesn't help that Amazon continues to imply that the TiVo does offer Prime streaming. This image (attached) is a screenshot of the Amazon app on my Android phone. Oddly, it only mentions TiVo on the HD version of this screen. If you click 'Standard Definition' the TiVo reference disappears completely.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tivo_prime.JPG (40.1 KB, 81 views)
etherknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 05:57 PM   #48
Dan203
Super Moderator

The Vizio TVs use the Yahoo! apps platform, which is used by several other devices as well. So the market is likely bigger then you think.

The comcast app on the XBox is different then the one TiVo uses. The system TiVo uses actually contacts the VOD servers over the internet, but the actual video playback happens via a tuner just like a real cable box. The app on the XBox is pure IP meaning the video is streamed over the internet just like Netflix. However the XBox version onyl has access to a subset of the VOD content available via TiVo or a real cable box, so it's not as robust.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:09 PM   #49
TivoQueensDad

Interestingly, my response from Amazon put the lack of Prime videos totally in Tivo's camp:

I understand that you would like to stream Prime Instant Videos on " TiVo Roamio boxes".

Device manufacturers has exclusive rights to the hardware and software that would make it possible for Amazon.com to provide Amazon Prime Instant Videos for these devices.

Because of these restrictions, we are unable to offer compatible video content at this time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Toshiba RS-TX20 (Retired after Tivo abandoned software updates)

Tivo Roamio Pro (lifetime)
Tivo Mini (lifetime)
TivoQueensDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:13 PM   #50
djwilso

Quote:
Originally Posted by TivoQueensDad View Post
Interestingly, my response from Amazon put the lack of Prime videos totally in Tivo's camp:

I understand that you would like to stream Prime Instant Videos on " TiVo Roamio boxes".

Device manufacturers has exclusive rights to the hardware and software that would make it possible for Amazon.com to provide Amazon Prime Instant Videos for these devices.

Because of these restrictions, we are unable to offer compatible video content at this time.
Perhaps if they continue to point the finger back and forth at each other, Roku will have one of their boxes in every TiVo household eventually.
djwilso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:16 PM   #51
CloudAtlas

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by TivoQueensDad View Post

Might want to reply back and ask "Amazon" how it is that Netflix has no problem with these "restrictions"! Or Hulu Plus. Or YouTube.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:28 PM   #52
bradleys
It'll be fine....

CES starts next week. Rumor has it we may hear something about a new Amazon streaming app!

Time will tell!
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:02 PM   #53
gweempose

It sure would be nice if I could access ALL my streaming and on demand via a single device. As it stands, I have a TiVo, Roku, Apple TV and cable box all hooked up to the main TV in my home theater. I bought the Roku primarily for Amazon Prime and Vudu, and the Apple TV primarily for HBO GO. The cable box is used almost exclusively for Showtime VOD.
(3) Minis

gweempose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:33 AM   #54
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwilso View Post

Perhaps if they continue to point the finger back and forth at each other, Roku will have one of their boxes in every TiVo household eventually.
Not likely. I think you mean Apple. Roku has fewer boxes in the home than Apple has Apple TV boxes. In one year Apple sold more ATV boxes than Roku has in their entire existence. Not that I'm a fan of apple, quite the opposite, but there really aren't a ton of roku boxes out there. Roku is nowhere close to having boxes in every household.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:21 PM   #55
b_scott
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by etherknight View Post

I also have an XBox360 purchased in 2007 that offers Amazon Prime streaming. Incidentally, it also allows Comcast On-Demand -- not really sure how it does that since no CableCard is involved.
You login into your account in a browser and confirm the code.
b_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 01:25 PM   #56
Dan203
Super Moderator

The Comcast On-Demand via XBox is not the same as you'd get through a regular cable box or a TiVo. It is pure IP, meaning everything comes in over the internet, and it only offers a subset of the content available via real VOD.

Although eventually we'll probably see it come to parity with real VOD and eventually we'll see the entire VOD system shift to an IP based solution like this.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:36 PM   #57
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
The Comcast On-Demand via XBox is not the same as you'd get through a regular cable box or a TiVo. It is pure IP, meaning everything comes in over the internet, and it only offers a subset of the content available via real VOD.

Although eventually we'll probably see it come to parity with real VOD and eventually we'll see the entire VOD system shift to an IP based solution like this.
I just wish Verizon FiOS would offer VOD on XBOX. instead they offer live streaming of a bunch of channels so people can watch Tv similar to forty years ago. With no way to pause, rew, ff, etc.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:49 PM   #58
Dan203
Super Moderator

Most of what they can and can not offer depends on deals they make with the content providers. Unfortunately the content providers have complete control over their content and can micro manage how the providers use it.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:04 AM   #59
jcthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
CES starts next week. Rumor has it we may hear something about a new Amazon streaming app!

Time will tell!
We are running out of CES it Tivo is going to announce much of anything.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:29 AM   #60
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
We are running out of CES it Tivo is going to announce much of anything.
Yep...

Looks like TiVo kept all the real information behind closed doors and only had a booth for this silly TV Binge.

Business as usual for TiVo. They do not want to promise anything, because then they would have to commit to a delivery calendar. It doesn't mean it isn't coming, it just means TiVo isn't talking.

harumph...
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote