TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.50 average.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:02 AM   #241
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

The new client is still Javascript, etc, just running in a pared down, purpose-optimized "browser" of Netflix's design.

I just had my first crash while playing a title in the Netflix client on my Roamio basic. It happened while I was recording from one tuner (sadly I have a two piece recording with a 3-4 minute gap ).

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill

Last edited by mikeyts : 01-04-2014 at 04:45 PM.
mikeyts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:33 AM   #242
pautler

dumb question: how do you access the profiles?

When I log into my netflix account via the web I see my profile and my wife's profile, and can switch back and forth between them. When I log in via my TiVo Roamio it puts me into my profile, and I can't seem to figure out how to access my wife's profile. It seems like it should be under the 'settings' section in the menu, but there isn't much there. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

-Joe
pautler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 04:43 PM   #243
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Profiles worked for a short while after the new Netflix player appeared on Roamio (like a single day or so) and then stopped working, all signs of them disappearing (I can't remember whether they were working with the HTML5 player that shipped on Roamio). There's been no explanation why. Profiles have worked on Premiere since I finally got the new Netflix player on it.

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
Old 01-04-2014, 05:12 PM   #244
pautler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyts View Post
Profiles worked for a short while after the new Netflix player appeared on Roamio (like a single day or so) and then stopped working, all signs of them disappearing (I can't remember whether they were working with the HTML5 player that shipped on Roamio). There's been no explanation why. Profiles have worked on Premiere since I finally got the new Netflix player on it.
Aaaaahhh, ok. That explains it. Thanks!

I was starting to think I was missing something really simple because I saw earlier posts in this thread saying that profiles were now supported, but I guess I didn't read far enough through the thread to see that they were later pulled back from the Roamio for some reason.

Thanks again.

-Joe
pautler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 05:22 PM   #245
ustavio

Quote:
Originally Posted by pautler View Post
When I log into my netflix account via the web I see my profile and my wife's profile, and can switch back and forth between them. When I log in via my TiVo Roamio it puts me into my profile, and I can't seem to figure out how to access my wife's profile. It seems like it should be under the 'settings' section in the menu, but there isn't much there. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

-Joe
Try signing out of your profile on the Roamio then switching the profile to your wife's... on the computer. When you sign back in on the TiVo, your wife's should be the one that appears.Switch back to your profile the same way. It seems that this is the only way to switch profiles (although it doesn't work for everyone).
ustavio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 12:21 PM   #246
JC Fedorczyk

Any word on the supposed update to stop reboots?
JC Fedorczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:39 PM   #247
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Fedorczyk View Post
Any word on the supposed update to stop reboots?
When recording anything on my TiVo I will not, in the future, watch Netflix on the TiVo as it re-booted last night when 3 things were recording, I was not pressing any buttons just watching when the picture stopped and TiVo Roamio + rebooted, lost about 5 minutes of each program, a PITA. (I can also watch Netflix on my Smart HDTV)

Old 01-06-2014, 06:39 PM   #248
Woodburner

Count me as another one with the netflix reboot. At least the Roamio boots up alot faster than my series 3.
Woodburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:28 PM   #249
pgoelz

FWIW, we are watching Netflix right now and there are massive issues between Comcast and other non-Comcast destinations in the last 30-45 minutes. I get 55Mb/S from me to Comcast Detroit (using their speed test) and about 1Mb/S to Comcast Chicago (also using the Comcast speed test app). Using Speakeasy Speed Test to Los Angeles, I get 0.22 Mb/S. Netflix is frequently freezing and re-buffering and flipping between HD and very low resolution. So far (knock on wood) no reboots. So simple network issues are not what would seem to trigger a reboot.

Paul
pgoelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:09 PM   #250
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgoelz View Post
FWIW, we are watching Netflix right now and there are massive issues between Comcast and other non-Comcast destinations in the last 30-45 minutes. I get 55Mb/S from me to Comcast Detroit (using their speed test) and about 1Mb/S to Comcast Chicago (also using the Comcast speed test app). Using Speakeasy Speed Test to Los Angeles, I get 0.22 Mb/S. Netflix is frequently freezing and re-buffering and flipping between HD and very low resolution. So far (knock on wood) no reboots. So simple network issues are not what would seem to trigger a reboot.

Paul
Change in speed is not the same as the network going down altogether, but I don't know for sure what causes the random TiVo/Netflix re-boot.

Old 01-07-2014, 12:09 AM   #251
ustavio

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
I don't know for sure what causes the random TiVo/Netflix re-boot.
Neither, apparently does TiVo and/or Netflix.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:25 PM   #252
rainwater

Looks like profiles are back on the Netflix app. Not sure when this update hit but I noticed it today.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 04:41 PM   #253
kbmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
Looks like profiles are back on the Netflix app. Not sure when this update hit but I noticed it today.
I'm seeing the same thing here.....profile support on my Roamio.

-Kevin
kbmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:41 PM   #254
ustavio

I've noticed profiles as well Netflix UI is up one from previous. HD bitrate is still 3850 kbps, so no SuperHD at the moment (although it's spotty at best anyway). Fingers are crossed.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:20 PM   #255
ustavio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ustavio View Post
I've noticed profiles as well Netflix UI is up one from previous. HD bitrate is still 3850 kbps, so no SuperHD at the moment (although it's spotty at best anyway). Fingers are crossed.
Update: Been wondering why subtitles are no longer yellow (got used to them) and haphazard sizes. After logging into my Netflix account to see what's what, I noticed that one can now choose the style and color of subtitles for each account. My wife can use BIG WHITE subtitles and I can use the smaller yellow subtitles I prefer.

Last edited by ustavio : 01-09-2014 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Clarity.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:06 PM   #256
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

I discovered that a couple of weeks ago and started a thread on AVS Forum about it: "News Flash--You Can Set Netflix Subtitle Appearance!".

It has multiple uses. If you use a service like Unblock-US.com to view titles from the Netflix catalogs of other regions you'll find that sometimes there are forced subtitles on English language content in some regions (almost always in some). For example, in the Brazil and Mexico regions you almost always have to have subtitles in either Spanish or Brazilian Portuguese; there is no option for "no subtitles". Using the subtitle appearance setting you can display those subtitles as small black text on a black background which will show up as tiny little black bars, much less distracting than text in a language that you can't read; if the film is in scope AR it will likely get "displayed" in the letterboxing bars .

"
" -- hookbill
Old 01-07-2014, 08:28 PM   #257
PaperFriend

Profiles on my Roamio also
PaperFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:04 PM   #258
mckingsley

Hallelujah. I can finally get the kids back on the Tivo and not have to have them switch to the PS3 to watch netflix.
mckingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:21 PM   #259
HarperVision

I'm sure this is in preparation for CES. Gotta look good for the press!
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:01 AM   #260
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
I doubt that is the reason. I hardly think TiVo or Netflix will be making a big deal about them adding this feature back.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:42 AM   #261
CloudAtlas

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
I doubt that is the reason. I hardly think TiVo or Netflix will be making a big deal about them adding this feature back.
The only timing is that it's the first full week back since the holidays when most staff took off. What company is going to push out software around the holidays? The Premiere boxes got this release before the holidays.

What is the the version of the Netflix w/ Profiles?
CloudAtlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 01:08 AM   #262
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudAtlas View Post
When you go to the player's menu and select the cog ("Version account information or sign out") you can look at Device Information, which gets you these version numbers:
Quote:
Software Version
20.3.8-USA-6-846/2013.2.1

Netflix Version
nrdapp 2013.2.1 / nrdlib 2013.2.1 / mdxlib 2013.2 / mdxjs 2.1.2-r51 / sdk 4.0.2-release-1933284 / nrdjs

UI Build
release-42-p
I just happened to have recorded those numbers for the player on my Roamio Basic on the 23rd of last month (a cell phone pic); the only thing which has changed is that "UI Build" is now "release-45-p". I'd check the player on my Premiere, but it's not currently hooked up; my guess is that it's the same and has been at that UI release since it became available on Premiere.

The beauty of their architecture is that, being Javascript based, they can make patches to the UI code whenever you start the player without any device firmware update required. They've added very significant new features to the old HTML5/Webkit player that way, including the Netflix Kids UI and Profiles. Just run the player and new stuff is suddenly there.

EDIT: Strange thing is that I have a picture of that information for my Premiere from the 23rd which is identical (release-42-p) but I didn't get the new UI on Premiere until the 31st (you could get the information on the old player with UP UP DOWN DOWN LEFT RIGHT LEFT RIGHT UP UP UP UP, an homage to a famous old Konami video game cheat code). I have an image of that information from the old "Flash" player from 8/3 and the format of the screen and the information on it was entirely different.

On 10/28 my Roamio was running "release-589-p" (everything else the same except for "mdxjs" was "2.0.6-r47"); on 11/18 it was running "release-20-p" (everything else the same as now).

EDIT EDIT: I recall that I was running the new Netflix player on my Premiere before I "officially" got it on the 31st by kicking it off using ktmmg. That would explain the version information that I got on the Premiere on 12/23.

"
" -- hookbill

Last edited by mikeyts : 01-10-2014 at 05:14 PM.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:09 AM   #263
AdamNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudAtlas View Post
The only timing is that it's the first full week back since the holidays when most staff took off. What company is going to push out software around the holidays? The Premiere boxes got this release before the holidays.

There are a lot of numbers I don't feel like typing under netflix version, but software version says: 20.3.8-usa-6-840/2013.2.1

Ui build:release-45-p

on Cablevision Raritan Valley system (Central NJ)
w/ Cisco PKM803 CableCARD on firmware 1.5.3.1101

*** 2013 newbie to Tivo ***
AdamNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:08 AM   #264
the block

Profiles are working on my Roamio & Mini as of last night as well. Finally.
the block is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:31 AM   #265
anthonymoody

Quote:
... My wife can have BIG WHITE ones and I can little yellow ones.....
Thank god for context.
anthonymoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:54 PM   #266
steinbch

Happy that profiles are working, but is anyone having trouble getting HD to stream? I'm getting the highest bit rate using my appleTV, but the Roamio won't budge past 480p bitrates.
steinbch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:27 PM   #267
bbrown9

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinbch View Post
Happy that profiles are working, but is anyone having trouble getting HD to stream? I'm getting the highest bit rate using my appleTV, but the Roamio won't budge past 480p bitrates.
How are you determining what your bitrates are?
bbrown9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:38 PM   #268
ustavio

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post
Thank god for context.
Thanks for pointing this out. I make changes in the wording of my post to insure that context was no longer necessary to fully comprehend content.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:55 PM   #269
ustavio

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrown9 View Post
How are you determining what your bitrates are?

Netflix has a odd though entertaining short (11 minute) test video called "Example Short 23.976" which will provide information on SD (480p) or HD (1920 x1080p) and bitrates3.8. Regular HD comes in at @ 3.8 mbps and SuperHD is @ 5.7. I think it's the difference between 60 fps and 24 fps. I'm not real sure. Someone with more background could probably expand on this. It will also test audio with various live sounds although just annoying tones if you have Dolby enabled.

With the new UI, I have been seeing fairly consistent 1080p at 3.8ish but every now and then SuperHD makes a visit. I can get most of the information if I display information using my Blu-ray but not as much if I hit info on the Roamio.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:30 PM   #270
steinbch

Quote:
Netflix has a odd though entertaining short (11 minute) test video called "Example Short 23.976" which will provide information on SD (480p) or HD (1920 x1080p) and bitrates3.8.
This is how I'm doing it. Strange, but also seeing the low bitrates from my TV (Panasonic VT60). The only device able to get HD is the AppleTV. All devices are hard wired except for the TV. All devices were getting HD signals until at least mid December. Time of day doesn't seem to have an impact either.
steinbch is offline   Reply With Quote