TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-03-2014, 11:12 AM   #1
the_Skywise

Adanced DVR-Lifetime fee

My HR10-250 is definitely on its last legs so I'm thinking of either upgrading to the new THR22 or possibly switch to Comcast. I bought the HR10-250 on my own and got the lifetime service with it which was grandfathered in when Directv took over the Tivo handling)

A few years back there was some screwiness with my billing where they kept charging me HD even though I specifically couldn't get HD channels and that finally got resolved after much back and forth.

While checking the bill today to see the price difference between Directv and comcast I noticed that my DVR service is activated ($10 fee) along with my waived Tivo fee. However, I don't get charged that $10 fee. My bill only shows my channel package and "Advanced Receiver-DVR Lifetime" which is $0.00 (and the sports fee and tax).

Does the $10 DVR fee go along with the lifetime service or is this a billing error in my favor (possibly caused by that back and forth in the past)

I know if I upgrade to the THR22 that I'll get the $10 HD fee but I'm trying to figure out if I'll get the $10 DVR fee added back in too. ($20 more per month plus the lease fee?! Hullo Comcast...)
the_Skywise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 03:40 PM   #2
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
You should not be paying for DVR service. Also, if you get the THR22, you can avoid the $5 TiVo fee. The HR10 doesn't get charged the TiVo fee.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:58 PM   #3
the_Skywise

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel View Post
You should not be paying for DVR service. Also, if you get the THR22, you can avoid the $5 TiVo fee. The HR10 doesn't get charged the TiVo fee.
But the HR10 was (still is actually) a Tivo so wouldn't it have been charged the TiVo fee (if it weren't under lifetime)?
Old 01-03-2014, 04:21 PM   #4
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

No. The Hr10-250 did not have a TiVo fee. It was introduced with the THR22.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:47 PM   #5
the_Skywise

Cool - So I'll just get the $10 HD fee added on then...

(Why am I happy about that?!)
Old 01-07-2014, 06:54 PM   #6
jsharper
rebmeM weN

To expand on this question a little.. I'm in a similar situation in that I'm still using three old directivo units (series one DSR6000R's in fact..). I bought "lifetime tivo" service from directv ages ago. My bill also lists "Advanced Receiver-DVR Lifetime 0.00" ... Now, i'm considering adding HD service and getting a Genie receiver and one of the Genie mini things to replace two of the directivos. Does anyone know if the "Advanced Receiver-DVR Lifetime" will cover all fees associated with the Genie and the mini other than the normal $6 additional receiver fees (which won't increase because I'll have the same number of total receivers when I am done)? I'm hoping I'd only pick up a monthly $10 HD fee but not any other DVR or advanced whole home bla bla fees.. anyone here with any first hand experience before I go get lied to by a CSR?

When I login to directv.com and go to My Services, it lists "Whole-Home DVR $3.00/mo" as "Not Eligible", lists "DVR $10.00/mo" as "Currently Activated" (but I have no corresponding $10/mo fee on my bill) and "TiVo Service - Free Lifetime" as "Currently Activated"
jsharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:51 PM   #7
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
Well, you have no whole-home capable DVRs, so that's why it says not eligible. My understanding is that lifetime service gets you out of paying DVR fees, so you would not incur the $10 DVR charge if you switched to a Genie. I think your bill would go up $13 for HD and whole-home (whether or not you have two DVRs.)
Old 01-07-2014, 09:47 PM   #8
jsharper
rebmeM weN

Thanks Steve. So, I'm guessing from what you said that you have no $10/mo DVR fee on your bill given that you have both a THR22 and a Genie (and lifetime dtivo service IIRC from your posts years ago)?
jsharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:40 AM   #9
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
I don't have lifetime service.