TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-05-2014, 07:15 PM   #1
sinanju

Wishlists gone mad. Multiple instances of movies in to-do

I discovered multiple instances of No Country For Old Men and several other films on my To Do List even though the wishlists that caused them to be scheduled are set up for New And Repeats and not All.

It's the first time I've seen the issue in the month that this new box has been in service.

Advice welcome.
sinanju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:36 AM   #2
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinanju View Post
I discovered multiple instances of No Country For Old Men and several other films on my To Do List even though the wishlists that caused them to be scheduled are set up for New And Repeats and not All.

It's the first time I've seen the issue in the month that this new box has been in service.

Advice welcome.
Maybe switch to just using "New"? Seems like to me, the "and repeats" would be what is making the multiple instances show up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:05 AM   #3
sinanju

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Maybe switch to just using "New"? Seems like to me, the "and repeats" would be what is making the multiple instances show up.
With repeats, you'd get one instance of each episode. All gets all instances
Old 01-06-2014, 01:13 PM   #4
jdhutton

I have noticed this with some shows that are have "New" next to them. it might record multiple times if that "New" moniker is still applied.

JD
jdhutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:51 PM   #5
Jonathan_S

Even with 'Repeats' turned on the TiVo shouldn't be trying to record the same program twice in to ToDo list.

Unless they've changed things, a repeat is defined as:
1) A program already recorded within the last 28 days
2) A program already scheduled to record
3) A program whose scheduled recording was manually canceled within the last 28 days
4) A program in the Now Playing list (no matter how old)

I guess it's possible that the guide data is screwed up and the different airing aren't tagged with the same guide id value; that would keep the TiVo from 'realizing' that they are the same movie. But it seem pretty unusualy to have several films simultaniously having the same guide data glitch...
Old 01-06-2014, 03:11 PM   #6
jrtroo
User

That "new" flag does not match what Tivo logic uses as "new" for season passes. Nobody has been able to explain how that flag actually works...
Old 01-06-2014, 04:21 PM   #7
socrplyr

The generally accepted thought is Tivo considers something new if it is within a certain amount of time of its original air date. (I have heard that it is 14 days.) This is not to be confused with the 28 day rule (Tivo won't record something that has been in your now playing list within the last 28 days, unless you state to record all.)
socrplyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 04:43 PM   #8
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrplyr View Post
The generally accepted thought is Tivo considers something new if it is within a certain amount of time of its original air date. (I have heard that it is 14 days.) This is not to be confused with the 28 day rule (Tivo won't record something that has been in your now playing list within the last 28 days, unless you state to record all.)
Way back when I tested that out and found that the 'new' length is also 28 days.

I found a particular new episode of something or other on the Disney channel that aired almost daily for over a month (go, go, excessive repeats!), set a first run only season pass and then forced conflicting recordings to bump it, day after day, until the TiVo finally stopped trying to reschedule the recording for that episode.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:55 PM   #9
socrplyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_S View Post
Way back when I tested that out and found that the 'new' length is also 28 days.

I found a particular new episode of something or other on the Disney channel that aired almost daily for over a month (go, go, excessive repeats!), set a first run only season pass and then forced conflicting recordings to bump it, day after day, until the TiVo finally stopped trying to reschedule the recording for that episode.
Good to know.
socrplyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 04:58 PM   #10
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

for movie wishlists, set "keep at most" to 1, and keep until you delete.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:03 PM   #11
Dan203
Super Moderator

My wife had a problem like this too. Turns out it was caused by a WL I had copied from her old TiVo using kmttg. Something about it caused it to freak out and create like 20 WL groups for the same show every time it recorded a new episode. I found that if I deleted the episodes and then restored them it would only have one group, but as soon as it recorded a new one it was back to having a ton. We ended up deleting the WL and creating a new one and now it seems to work fine.

I have no idea if the fact that it was copied using kmttg has any effect, or if it just glitched. It was the only one, out of a dozen or so, that had this problem.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:23 PM   #12
sinanju

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I have no idea if the fact that it was copied using kmttg has any effect, or if it just glitched. It was the only one, out of a dozen or so, that had this problem.
These wishlists were recreated by hand when I got the new TiVo.

I cleaned the To Do list up and no other instances of this problem have popped up. I'm going to agree it was some sort of data hygiene issue and hope it doesn't happen again.

As for the "New" flag vs the 28-day rule, I'm 99% sure the flag is based on TMS's determination of a new episode as it would appear in their Zap2It guide. They seem to know when something is a first-run in your geography even though it may have run some time ago somewhere else. Hence, the confusion over all those BBCA and SyFy shows that aired in Canada and the UK first, screwing up the guide data and the 28-day rule for folks in the US who are just getting the show some time afterward.

I'd love TiVo to allow us to use either that flag or the 28 day rule for "new"... it would solve a lot of problems for those sorts of shows.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:34 AM   #13
dmaneyapanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinanju View Post
As for the "New" flag vs the 28-day rule, I'm 99% sure the flag is based on TMS's determination of a new episode as it would appear in their Zap2It guide. They seem to know when something is a first-run in your geography even though it may have run some time ago somewhere else. Hence, the confusion over all those BBCA and SyFy shows that aired in Canada and the UK first, screwing up the guide data and the 28-day rule for folks in the US who are just getting the show some time afterward.
I'm not quite sure what you're saying. The fact that our TiVos did not record those BBCA shows (in my case, it was Luther) that aired elsewhere first seems to indicate that our TiVos do not use a magic TMS new flag that knows when something is first-run in your geography. Rather, it seemed to straightforwardly use the 28-day rule based on the OAD listed in the show's info to mis-determine that the showings were not new.
dmaneyapanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:37 PM   #14
sinanju

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaneyapanda View Post
I'm not quite sure what you're saying. The fact that our TiVos did not record those BBCA shows (in my case, it was Luther) that aired elsewhere first seems to indicate that our TiVos do not use a magic TMS new flag that knows when something is first-run in your geography. Rather, it seemed to straightforwardly use the 28-day rule based on the OAD listed in the show's info to mis-determine that the showings were not new.
That's exactly what I am saying. And it would be wonderful to be able to use the the flag as a work around in that instance. Sadly, though TiVo started displaying the flag (taunting us?), they don't let us actually use it.