TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-05-2014, 12:59 PM   #1
Lord_Vader

New Tivo on FIOS?

Hello, I am on FIOS and looking to get a Tivo solution to replace my DVR. I have a few questions and would appreciate your feedback.

1) I've read that FIOS has high signal. Do I need to put an inline attenuator?

2) I am looking at a Roamio Pro and 2 Tivo minis. I will probably add one more mini soon, and then one when I finish my basement. Is this viable, or should I look at something like a discounted premiere instead of a mini?

3) I see that the mini has a basic remote. Should I get the slide remote?

4) Any tips/suggestion for how to buy the Tivos? Could I get some sort of a package deal if I call instead of order online?

Thanks
Lord_Vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:56 PM   #2
khidr

my thoughts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Vader View Post
Hello, I am on FIOS and looking to get a Tivo solution to replace my DVR. I have a few questions and would appreciate your feedback.

I was using one when using an hdhomerun prime - since moving to tivo I decided to test without first and it's been fine, but they are unbelievably cheap, so have one around in case it turns out that you do.

2) I am looking at a Roamio Pro and 2 Tivo minis. I will probably add one more mini soon, and then one when I finish my basement. Is this viable, or should I look at something like a discounted premiere instead of a mini?

The minis share the roamio's tuners, so if you can live with only 4 tuners for recording/watching tv on your roamio while the two minis are in use, then that is fine. If you can't spare any of the 6 tuners, then the premiere is the way to go.

Mini seems to work fine - and the slide has been discontinued. My recommendation is if, like me, you're new to tivo - try the basic remote first, it's free with the mini, so decide whether it's good enough, and if not, check out your options.

4) Any tips/suggestion for how to buy the Tivos? Could I get some sort of a package deal if I call instead of order online?

no clue, I just walked into a bestbuy and paid retail like a chump.

Good luck!

Thanks

khidr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 02:04 PM   #3
dahacker

Quote:

I have had Verizon FIOS for 4+ years. I just replaced a Tivo HD XL, Tivo HD, and a Tivo SVR-3000 with a Roamio Pro and three minis. I never used an attenuator anywhere before or after.

Quote:
Don't get a premiere. The minis are very fast.

Quote:
Personal preference. Depends on how you use your Tivo. Get what you want.

Quote:
If you have a friend/family member who has Tivo, you might be able to get them to get the Roamio Pro for $900 including lifetime and then transfer it to you. I was unable to find a deal on the minis other than $86 at Amazon without tax for my state and then eating the $150 lifetime on each.
dahacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 03:43 PM   #4
Sixto

TC CLUB MEMBER
Interesting to see another DirecTV person here. Just replied in another similar thread. My signature has my experiences.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sixto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:15 PM   #5
russg
UID=0

I switched from DirecTv + DirecTivo to FiOS with Tivo. I ordered my Plus and mini directly from Tivo with lifetime and boy it is expensive up front. You may discover some deal in the thread here about deals.

I had FiOS installed and no attenuator was installed. I have wired networking and haven't seen any issues with FiOS, Tivo, mini, or network hiccups.
russg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:32 PM   #6
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixto View Post
Interesting to see another DirecTV person here.
i left directv after 6 years for tivo + comcast, and i'm still pleased with the decision. after negative experiences in three cities over many years, i had sworn off comcast. without tivo, comcast wouldn't have had a chance to get me back.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:00 PM   #7
WRX09MD

Quote:

Thanks
1. I have 2 Roamio Pros and 2 Minis with Fios and have not had any issues with signal.
2. It really depends on how many tv's will be going at the same time because you will you use up more tuners. Also you will be recording everything from everyone on the same Roamio. I got 2 Roamios for this reason. Kids and wifey on one and I am on the other. There are great deals with upgraded hard drives and warranties at www.weaknees.com. Take a look.
3. The remotes are not the same as Romio to mini. The slides are nice because they can learn other the functions and the basic remotes cant.
4. Try weaknees and you can get codes to get discounts on the lifetime service.

Have fun I love mine
Slide x 2
Slide Pro x 2
Verizon Fios
WRX09MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 06:11 PM   #8
aristoBrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX09MD View Post
3. The remotes are not the same as Romio to mini.
That drives me bonkers -- I wish they were the same!
Series 3 OLED (x2)
DirecTiVo (x3)
Series 1
aristoBrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:12 PM   #9
socrplyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristoBrat View Post
That drives me bonkers -- I wish they were the same!
If it is important to you, you can buy a spare remote and use it so the remotes are the same. The Mini came out before the Roamio, so it has a premeire remote. However in IR mode either remote works. They are $30 on Tivos website.
socrplyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:19 PM   #10
Sixto

TC CLUB MEMBER
I got the Slider for the Roamio, ordered it with the RF dongle, and then used the dongle for the Roamio remote with the Mini. Love it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sixto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:52 PM   #11
aristoBrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrplyr View Post
If it is important to you, you can buy a spare remote and use it so the remotes are the same. The Mini came out before the Roamio, so it has a premeire remote. However in IR mode either remote works. They are $30 on Tivos website.
At $40.79 shipped to me, it's not that important. Still annoys me though.
Series 3 OLED (x2)
DirecTiVo (x3)
Series 1
aristoBrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:45 AM   #12
Lord_Vader

Thanks everyone.
Lord_Vader is offline   Reply With Quote