TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-04-2014, 08:20 PM   #1
wackymann

Problem with 2 consecutive shows, same channel

I have a season pass for all NFL games, and I have them record an extra hour. When there are 2 consecutive games on the same channel, the 2nd one is scheduled to record if you look before the 1st one ends, but it never records! The first show extends by 1 hour like it's supposed to, but the recording stops and then the next game doesn't record. This only started happening after I switched to the HD menus a few weeks ago. I had always used the SD menus, and it worked fine. I have the 4-tuner, 2 TB premiere elite. Anybody else have this problem?? It seems like a major bug.
wackymann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:25 AM   #2
dlvgolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by wackymann View Post
I have a season pass for all NFL games, and I have them record an extra hour. When there are 2 consecutive games on the same channel, the 2nd one is scheduled to record if you look before the 1st one ends, but it never records! The first show extends by 1 hour like it's supposed to, but the recording stops and then the next game doesn't record. This only started happening after I switched to the HD menus a few weeks ago. I had always used the SD menus, and it worked fine. I have the 4-tuner, 2 TB premiere elite. Anybody else have this problem?? It seems like a major bug.
I just had something like this happen with the football playoff games yesterday. A tough way to find out you didn't get the 2nd game. I came here searching for answers. I scheduled both to record, with extra time for each in case they ran over. The second game didn't record, with a note in the history section saying failed to record - no longer in guide. Any answers on how to prevent this would be greatly appreciated.
dlvgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:31 AM   #3
WO312

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlvgolf View Post
I just had something like this happen with the football playoff games yesterday. A tough way to find out you didn't get the 2nd game. I came here searching for answers. I scheduled both to record, with extra time for each in case they ran over. The second game didn't record, with a note in the history section saying failed to record - no longer in guide. Any answers on how to prevent this would be greatly appreciated.
As the OP mentioned. I'm assuming it is an HD interface thing. I use the SD interface because of glitches with the HD.

If you must use HD, I would suggest doing a long manual recording on the channel to make sure you get both games, until there is a fix.
WO312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:08 PM   #4
dbattaglia001

I am on the latest software update and padded both nbc playoff games and both recorded flawlessly. I didn't start watching either game until the 2nd one was over, so maybe the issue arises if you delete the first game before the 2nd game finishes completely?
dbattaglia001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:15 PM   #5
wackymann

I was watching the 1st game (delayed) when the 2nd one started. But I did NOT delete it. Luckily this had happened to me once before, so I was on the lookout for it. I manually started recording the 2nd game after the first one stopped. I can't believe there aren't more complaints about this... What a horrible bug!
Old 01-05-2014, 01:43 PM   #6
PedjaR

Just to confirm that it happens on Roamio as well:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...99#post9946499
PedjaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:58 PM   #7
WO312

Out of curiosity, if both games are on the same channel, why pad the first one?? In case you want to save it separately??
WO312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 03:00 PM   #8
cherry ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by WO312 View Post
Out of curiosity, if both games are on the same channel, why pad the first one?? In case you want to save it separately??

Both games were on NBC yesterday. Normally NBC only has the Sunday night game.
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 03:35 PM   #9
HiRoller

In the olden days, the Tivo would assign a second tuner for the second broadcast. Now it keeps the one tuner going and assigns the stream to both. In a way it's better as it doesn't tie up a second tuner. However, it doesn't show the second program in the Now Playing list, or even showing as recording, until the first one completes. This confused the heck out of me until I saw it happen. At least in my case, as long as I waited long enough, everything showed up correctly eventually.
HiRoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:12 PM   #10
wackymann

Quote:
Originally Posted by WO312 View Post
Because it's a season pass, not a manual recording. I would be fine if one if them got clipped, but having it not record at all is a real bummer!
Old 01-05-2014, 09:05 PM   #11
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiRoller View Post
In the olden days, the Tivo would assign a second tuner for the second broadcast. Now it keeps the one tuner going and assigns the stream to both. In a way it's better as it doesn't tie up a second tuner. However, it doesn't show the second program in the Now Playing list, or even showing as recording, until the first one completes. This confused the heck out of me until I saw it happen. At least in my case, as long as I waited long enough, everything showed up correctly eventually.
Not exactly. If the padding on the first show exceeds the original time slot of the second, the second is not recorded. It shows a "No longer in Guide" error. It's not a killer bug, as the 2nd show is now on the tail end of your first recording, but it still ain't right.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:21 AM   #12
wackymann

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Not exactly. If the padding on the first show exceeds the original time slot of the second, the second is not recorded. It shows a "No longer in Guide" error. It's not a killer bug, as the 2nd show is now on the tail end of your first recording, but it still ain't right.
Not true in my case - the games are way longer (3-4 hours) than the padding time (1 hour), but the second game does not record. If you look in the recording history after the fact, the 2nd game is not even mentioned, even though it was clearly scheduled to record before the error happens.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:38 AM   #13
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbattaglia001 View Post
I am on the latest software update and padded both nbc playoff games and both recorded flawlessly. I didn't start watching either game until the 2nd one was over, so maybe the issue arises if you delete the first game before the 2nd game finishes completely?
Same here. I have "NFL Football" auto record wishlist with 1 hour end padding, and both back to back Saturday NBC games recorded without issue as 2 separate recordings for me. So looks to me like 20.3.8 software fixed this problem, as I think TiVoMargret mentioned it should.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:52 AM   #14
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Same here. I have "NFL Football" auto record wishlist with 1 hour end padding, and both back to back Saturday NBC games recorded without issue as 2 separate recordings for me. So looks to me like 20.3.8 software fixed this problem, as I think TiVoMargret mentioned it should.
I have 20.3.8 on my R-Pro, and the 2nd recording (the overlapped one) failed.

Honestly, there is such a mish-mash of problems that it's hard to tell what may be causing what. You have the "No signal" problem (V53, I think), the "No longer in Guide" problem, the overlapping recording problem, yada yada. TiVo really needs to clean up this latest software before hard-core fanboys like me walk away. If I had a house fire, I'd grab my TiVo before anything else, but only if I know I can count on it to record my shows.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:03 AM   #15
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I have 20.3.8 on my R-Pro, and the 2nd recording (the overlapped one) failed.

Honestly, there is such a mish-mash of problems that it's hard to tell what may be causing what. You have the "No signal" problem (V53, I think), the "No longer in Guide" problem, the overlapping recording problem, yada yada. TiVo really needs to clean up this latest software before hard-core fanboys like me walk away. If I had a house fire, I'd grab my TiVo before anything else, but only if I know I can count on it to record my shows.
Well, I'll put myself in the "lucky" category, since I have not had any of those issues. In fact my Roamio Pro has been flawless so far when it comes to pure DVR functionality, but now I'm jinxed for sure...

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:36 PM   #16
wackymann

I'll check my TiVo software version number tonight - no clue what version I have.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:03 PM   #17
christheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiRoller View Post
I am an SD user who often runs into this with movie channels, where two consecutive movies show on the same channel. I pad all the programs by 5-10 minutes on each side. Two tuners work just fine in my case. Maybe they could revise that and split it in the NPL automatically, or at least put an indication in the NPL or put in a warning during the scheduling.
christheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:15 PM   #18
wackymann

My software version is 20.3.8-01-2-758
Old 01-23-2014, 01:17 PM   #19
dahnb2000

Tivo tried to blame my hardware for their software problems

I've reported this to Tivo several times. Broken 2 months now & the response is "they are aware of it & working on it" which is better than their previous support trying to blame the problem on my tivos. Since I have 2 boxes doing the exact same thing their troubleshooting steps are (were) less than worthless.

Why does it take them 2 months to fix what they broke in one update?
dahnb2000 is offline   Reply With Quote