TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:13 PM   #31
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobleHeretic View Post
Update from a post in the Official TiVo forums - http://forums.tivo.com/pe/action/for...ostID=11167893
One person who has all the same issues attempted a solution by replacing both the TiVo Roamio and his router. To this point it has had no impact on solving the issue.
Sounds to me then like TiVo thinks the iOS client side doesn't support encrypted HLS for some reason... The theory about back-end setting may still be the case, but if user replaced Roamio/Stream and still has the problem then that is less likely.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:10 PM   #32
mrizzo80

Quote:
Update from a post in the Official TiVo forums - http://forums.tivo.com/pe/action/for...ostID=11167893
One person who has all the same issues attempted a solution by replacing both the TiVo Roamio and his router. To this point it has had no impact on solving the issue.
Your sig indicates you have S3 units too. Can you transfer shows between your S3 units and your Roamio?

You may need to check 1 or both of the boxes on this screen for your Roamio... though I have no idea whether or not these checkboxes factor into streaming to iOS clients though:

https://tivo.com/tivo-mma/dvrpref.do

I think you are wasting your time troubleshooting this. I'd get on the phone with TiVo and ask them what does "Service Level: A" indicate in the Roamio's System Info screen. If they can't answer that then ask to speak to a supervisor who can figure that out.

Sounds like the box is in a state that doesn't allow value-added services (iOS streaming/Netflix/etc).
mrizzo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:57 PM   #33
NobleHeretic

mrrizzo80,

I can transfer (bi-diectionally), but not stream content between the TiVo HD boxes and the Roamio. Streaming in not supported except with Premiere and Elite series.

The DVR preferences have been checked and unchecked and the Roamio box has been forced to connect to the Tivo service in both states. This does not seem to toggle an activation state on the internal Stream.

I am still holding to the theory that something in the back-end of the TiVo system is not indicating to the internal Stream device that it is authorized to stream content.

And FYI, all of us have been on the phone MANY times with TiVo and reported the issue and asked why it is in Service Level A. Still no joy!
Roamio Plus (CableCard and Gigabit Ethernet)
NobleHeretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:00 AM   #34
mburnno

Quote:
mrrizzo80,

I can transfer (bi-diectionally), but not stream content between the TiVo HD boxes and the Roamio. Streaming in not supported except with Premiere and Elite series.

The DVR preferences have been checked and unchecked and the Roamio box has been forced to connect to the Tivo service in both states. This does not seem to toggle an activation state on the internal Stream.

I am still holding to the theory that something in the back-end of the TiVo system is not indicating to the internal Stream device that it is authorized to stream content.

And FYI, all of us have been on the phone MANY times with TiVo and reported the issue and asked why it is in Service Level A. Still no joy!
I tend to agree with you on the back end for streaming. Something is differently with the Roamio's in how they talk on the back end compared to the past Tivo's. I have experienced too many problems from day one compared to the past Tivo's I have owned. I have heard that the new Roamio's are more sensitive then the past hardware was, but why? What makes the new Tivo's that much different then the previous generation?
mburnno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:02 AM   #35
kbmb

It seems clear that no one is going to get support from Tivo support on this issue (not really a surprise).

Has anyone tried emailing Margret at Tivo?

-Kevin
kbmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:36 AM   #36
NobleHeretic

I have attempted to get Margret's attention in the following ways:

PM'd her account here on TCF
Tweeted her links to this forum and the official tivo forum
Emailed her directly

That having been said, I am giving her the benefit of the doubt, because she may be on holidays through last week. She has not tweeted since dec 27. Holding out hope she will reply soon.

Still constantly updating my open ticket with TS on any relevant information that comes along, but haven't heard from them since Friday.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:05 AM   #37
NobleHeretic

I have just received a rather cryptic message in My Support at TiVo, but it seems at least promising. It just has the title "ERT - PR - <MY Name>" and has a status of "Researching" with a new Ticket Number. It is also interesting that the <My Name> in the ticket is actually My Name and not my wife's name who the account is under. So maybe this has come through another channel, perhaps my email to Margret?

We shall see!

Last edited by NobleHeretic : 01-06-2014 at 11:13 AM.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:16 AM   #38
Aero 1

Disable IGMP proxy on your fios router. Verizon hid the menu but you can access it with this link:

192.168.1.1/index.cgi?active_page=6059

try it, i bet (hopefully) it works. that fixed a lot of my streaming issues.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv -
Aero 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:46 PM   #39
NobleHeretic

Aero 1,

I actually saw a previous thread with that suggestion and managed to find the checkbox for IGMP and unchecked it. It did not have any effect on this issue. Same held true for Curtis.

Thanks for the idea.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:49 PM   #40
CurtisG

Quote:
Aero 1,

I actually saw a previous thread with that suggestion and managed to find the checkbox for IGMP and unchecked it. It did not have any effect on this issue. Same held true for Curtis.

Thanks for the idea.
Correct - I disabled IGMP on my router and it did not make a difference.
I have since renabled it.
CurtisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:37 PM   #41
JPnet

I posted to CurtisG's original Tivo forum thread. Like a number of folks, I too, was having the exact same issues. I couldn't get past step one, PreconditionFailed, and no NetFlix. I also tried bypassing my HP 1410-16G "Green" switch as a troubleshooting step. Like others, nothing I did made a difference. I called Tivo, hoping that they would give me some insight, but only suggested that I return the unit as it was received as a Christmas gift.

When I got home last night with the new Roamio, I plugged in the replacement unit (which had a lower serial number) and activated the unit. I did a quick Tivo connection, power cycled the box, and much to my surprise, the streaming setup worked perfectly! NOTHING in my network has changed from the last / original Roamio Plus from a few days ago. The million dollar question is, "Was it hardware or did the backend provisioning work better with this activation?"

John
JPnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:09 AM   #42
NobleHeretic

Damn you John for making it work with a replacement! We have one person who has tried the replacement and NOT succeeded and one who has tried replacement and succeeded. I just hate that kind of maybe it does/maybe it doesn't troubleshooting success. Worst part is replacing my unit is the solution I really don't want to do. I have already shifted my TiVo life around with transferred content and season passes! Not to mention the fun of getting my CC's properly paired for copy protected content one more time. Although, I think I have that part down to an art now.

And congratulations on having a properly functioning Roamio!

Last edited by NobleHeretic : 01-07-2014 at 06:25 AM.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:07 AM   #43
CuriousMark
Forum Denizen

Here is a thought for teasing out if it might be a back end provisioning issue. This is something we used to do with Series 3 units when their certificates got out of synch and network related stuff wouldn't work on them.
  1. Go to the TiVo website, Change the name and disable all network related services for the TiVo DVR.
  2. Wait about 3 hours for the website changes to filter out to the TiVo Server farm
  3. Force a connection from the TiVo DVR to download the changes
  4. Once the service connection is complete verify that the name is new and that TiVo ToGo = i,i,i. I think Roamios might have four 'i"s now. So check whatever makes sense to show that anything Network related is now turned off.
  5. If the changes didn't take, wait a while longer and force another connection. Once the changes are confirmed to be on the TiVo DVR continue to the next step.
  6. Go to the TiVo website, enable all network related features for the subject DVR.
  7. Again wait however long you needed to the first time to allow the website settings to filter out to the server farm
  8. Force a connection from your TiVo to download the changes
  9. After the connection is complete verify that the TiVo has the new name, TiVoToGo is a,a,a or whatever the Roamio "a" count is, and that all the network features that were disabled are now back on.
  10. Restart the DVR
  11. Try what was broken and see if it starts working now. This may involve setting the iOS app from scratch at this point.

You may need to do something similar with the stream if it is listed separately on the website. You can do both at the same time if that is the case. When all is done you may also need to force one extra connection for each device so that they can download the new certificates generated for the the TiVo that was "two-stepped" per the above sequence.

I have no idea if this two step dance will work, but given you have tried everything else and there is a question about how things are set up on the TiVo service end of things, it is worth a try by someone to see if it helps or is a waste of "a lot of" time.
CuriousMark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:09 AM   #44
NobleHeretic

Mark,

Thanks for the input. I have basically done this, although not with the name change and the verifying i,i,i,i and a,a,a,a step. It is worth a shot, will try it this evening. I have been gathering ANY information that I think is useful and passing it on to TiVo. It is nice there is now a "researching" ticket open with Tech Support. It gives me a bit more faith that maybe someone who can use this information is working on it. I know, always the optimist.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:57 PM   #45
NobleHeretic

The plot thickens! [BEWARE: UberGeekiness kicking in]

I have been having some back and forth with TiVO TS on clearing up any routing issues. So, using nmap I ran a port scan for TCP and UDP ports between 37 and 31339 (the bottom and top of the range of potentially necessary TiVo ports) across my LAN from a laptop over the wireless connection (what iOS devices would use) to the GigE connected TiVo on both the IP for the internal Stream and the Roamio. Here is what that returned:

Stream IP Address
PORT STATUS SERVICE
80/tcp open http
443/tcp open ssl/https
2190/tcp open tcpwrapped
2191/tcp open tvbus
5223/tcp closed hpvirtgrp

Roamio IP Address
PORT STATUS SERVICE
80/tcp open http
443/tcp open ssl/http
1390/tcp open iclpv-sc
1393/tcp open ssl/iclpv-nls
1400/tcp open cadkey-tablet
1410/tcp open hiq
1413/tcp open ssl/innosys-acl
2190/tcp open tcpwrapped
2191/tcp open tvbus
8430/tcp open unknown
9080/tcp closed glrpc
31339/tcp open unknown

I did some research on 5223 and 9080. It seems both are used by Apple with 5223 identified for "Apple Push Notification Service" and 9080 for "Quicktime Streaming Server". Now the fact that they were closed to incoming traffic may not be significant as they may require an outbound request to open or may be only for outbound traffic, but interesting anyhow.

I sent this information on to TS and they wrote back and said please open these closed ports. I replied these are closed ports on YOUR device not mine. I should have said, sure just give me the keys to the Roamio and I will gladly take care of that for you!
Old 01-07-2014, 04:54 PM   #46
CurtisG

Big Grin

Quote:
The plot thickens! [BEWARE: UberGeekiness kicking in]

I have been having some back and forth with TiVO TS on clearing up any routing issues. So, using nmap I ran a port scan for TCP and UDP ports between 37 and 31339 (the bottom and top of the range of potentially necessary TiVo ports) across my LAN from a laptop over the wireless connection (what iOS devices would use) to the GigE connected TiVo on both the IP for the internal Stream and the Roamio. Here is what that returned:
Noble - you're right - UberGeek indeed. But thanks for all your work on trying to get to the bottom of this.

I'm still dead in the water as far as streaming to my mobile devices
Old 01-07-2014, 04:57 PM   #47
10YearCustwi

Same problem

I am having the same issue. New Romio plus, mini and iPad air. Everything but streaming is working. Same service level A and precondition fail message. Spent 6 hours with support over last four days with no progress. Today they indicated that has been escalated to engineering group. Hopefully someone will get this sorted ASAP.

Appreciate any updates
10YearCustwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:05 PM   #48
CurtisG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10YearCustwi View Post
I am having the same issue. New Romio plus, mini and iPad air. Everything but streaming is working. Same service level A and precondition fail message. Spent 6 hours with support over last four days with no progress. Today they indicated that has been escalated to engineering group. Hopefully someone will get this sorted ASAP.

Appreciate any updates
Thanks 10Year!

Everyone else having this issue, please make sure to contact TiVo Support. Nothing else but sheer number of open tickets and many complaints seem to get them to move on addressing this issue.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:07 PM   #49
NobleHeretic

Hi all,

I just received a new ticket with the official word "Elevated to Level 2". I actually have 2 separate tickets open at the moment. One that I can only imagine was opened by direct request of Margaret Schmidt and another that was an escalation of Level 1 TS that failed to find a solution despite my best effort to feed them continuous and potentially critical information. When this is resolved I will write a full summary of the experience. It has been both frustrating and entertaining. I give them an A for effort and a somewhat reduced grade for knowing when to escalate. I have been relentless in my pursuit of a solution and vow to not wain until it is figured out.

Stay tuned.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:16 AM   #50
JPnet

Quote:
Damn you John for making it work with a replacement! We have one person who has tried the replacement and NOT succeeded and one who has tried replacement and succeeded. I just hate that kind of maybe it does/maybe it doesn't troubleshooting success. Worst part is replacing my unit is the solution I really don't want to do. I have already shifted my TiVo life around with transferred content and season passes! Not to mention the fun of getting my CC's properly paired for copy protected content one more time. Although, I think I have that part down to an art now.

And congratulations on having a properly functioning Roamio!
Not sure I am out of the woods yet. While the streaming setup completes successfully, I am only able to stream on my network, not Out-Of-Home. This could be me (I am a complete noob when it comes to Tivo as this is my first ever box) and I just need to learn the system better and read more of the posts here.

John
Old 01-08-2014, 09:26 AM   #51
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPnet View Post
Not sure I am out of the woods yet. While the streaming setup completes successfully, I am only able to stream on my network, not Out-Of-Home. This could be me (I am a complete noob when it comes to Tivo as this is my first ever box) and I just need to learn the system better and read more of the posts here.

John
Just remember that streaming only currently works on a WiFi network. It does not work using a cellular connection. Other then that, streaming functionality is identical IH and OOH.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:21 AM   #52
JPnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
Just remember that streaming only currently works on a WiFi network. It does not work using a cellular connection. Other then that, streaming functionality is identical IH and OOH.
Thanks for the reply. I am on WiFi (too cheap to pay for cellular on my iPad). When I launch the app OOH, it asks me to login with my Tivo acct and password (which I did). On "My Shows" I click on something that was recorded, it attempts to setup the stream and returns an error "Problem with streaming device" "There was a problem connecting to your streaming device." I am going to try a service call and reboot from the app when I am home later.

I'll continue to poke around here and see what I can find.

John
Old 01-08-2014, 10:33 AM   #53
kbmb

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I am on WiFi (too cheap to pay for cellular on my iPad). When I launch the app OOH, it asks me to login with my Tivo acct and password (which I did). On "My Shows" I click on something that was recorded, it attempts to setup the stream and returns an error "Problem with streaming device" "There was a problem connecting to your streaming device." I am going to try a service call and reboot from the app when I am home later.

I'll continue to poke around here and see what I can find.

John
Just to chime in......I've never had the problem during setup. In fact, when Tivo released the OOH streaming, I was able to setup fine, and stream OOH with no problems.

However, it doesn't work for me today. Note that I never use it, so I haven't tested since it first launched.

I have a Roamio Plus and a Basic both connected via Ethernet. Airport Extreme (4th gen).

Just now I connected my iPad to my iPhone's Hotspot to trick it into having a wireless connection (that's how I tested before).

Sure enough....I get the same thing as you John......"Problem with streaming device"

So I don't think it's you or your network....I think it's Tivo.

BTW.....streaming in house is fine.

-Kevin
Old 01-08-2014, 06:09 PM   #54
JPnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
Just to chime in......I've never had the problem during setup. In fact, when Tivo released the OOH streaming, I was able to setup fine, and stream OOH with no problems.

However, it doesn't work for me today. Note that I never use it, so I haven't tested since it first launched.

I have a Roamio Plus and a Basic both connected via Ethernet. Airport Extreme (4th gen).

Just now I connected my iPad to my iPhone's Hotspot to trick it into having a wireless connection (that's how I tested before).

Sure enough....I get the same thing as you John......"Problem with streaming device"

So I don't think it's you or your network....I think it's Tivo.

BTW.....streaming in house is fine.

-Kevin
Kevin,

I tried the OOH stream before I left work and it worked!

This is my first ever Tivo device and I have to ask, are they always this buggy? In all honesty, this is NOT what I was expecting. I have heard nothing but positive about Tivo devices and want to go all in with their technology. But with this entire experience and all the inconsistencies, I am not sure if this is the best move.

I certainly hope the folks that are having problems with this get it fixed soon.

Good luck, folks.

John
Old 01-08-2014, 06:14 PM   #55
kbmb

Quote:
Kevin,

I tried the OOH stream before I left work and it worked!

This is my first ever Tivo device and I have to ask, are they always this buggy? In all honesty, this is NOT what I was expecting. I have heard nothing but positive about Tivo devices and want to go all in with their technology. But with this entire experience and all the inconsistencies, I am not sure if this is the best move.

I certainly hope the folks that are having problems with this get it fixed soon.

Good luck, folks.

John
That's great that it worked. While Tivo's are not new....the OOH streaming is brand new tech for Tivo. I'm guessing that they will continue to refine their process and get things working more consistently in the future.

-Kevin
Old 01-09-2014, 06:49 PM   #56
moyekj

According to this post, your router uPNP needs to be enabled for TiVo Stream to work properly. Kind of head scratcher if that's indeed the case since TiVo is going through a proxy currently I thought so as to avoid needing uPNP or manual port forwarding... In any case, for those in this thread having trouble I guess that's something else to check - if uPNP is enabled in your router settings.

Also, I get the impression that many having trouble are with FIOS which perhaps is a common factor here.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:00 PM   #57
kbmb

Tonight my OOH streaming was working fine again.....no changes on my network.

-Kevin
Old 01-10-2014, 09:20 PM   #58
smbaker

Quote:
The launch of the Premiere was a disaster and took six months to a year to get straightened out. One would have hope they learned a few things.

Oh, and it appears I seem to be suffering from the 'precondition failed' bug too.

I wonder if I can just plug my old stream back in and use that instead of the Roamio's stream?
smbaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:15 AM   #59
NobleHeretic

Well, my escalated and perhaps Margret inspired TS tickets have failed to contact me or even reply to my messages in the tickets this entire week! Amazing fail at TiVo tech Support. I really cannot believe the complete lack of customer service.

Complete tease just when you think you are getting somewhere. I now have to make the choice on my own of whether to return my Roamio and try again with a fresh one, thereby negating all the back and forth and testing I have done with the level of TS that could not hope to learn anything from it. The clock is ticking down to a few days left for Best Buy to honor a return. I obviously have no faith, at this point, that TiVo will do right by me and if it is determined to be a hardware issue, offer me a replacement unit.

Boy would I love to release a long string of expletives in their direction!
Old 01-11-2014, 11:57 AM   #60
moyekj

NobleHeretic, did you look into uPNP setting on your router? As I posted above one user claimed it fixed his problem after enabling uPNP.