TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-29-2013, 06:05 AM   #1021
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalfreak View Post
Is there any place that lists the usenet providers that are basically the same company? I don't want to end up with an unlimited account and a block account from the same place that is redundant.

Thanks
Here ya go:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
There are only a handful of usenet backbones now, Highwinds, Astraweb, Giganews, Readnews and some European providers. Here's a map

With so few, it is fairly easy to send DCMA takedown requests. It's not nearly as easy with torrents.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 09:59 AM   #1022
GoPackGo

Quote:
Is there any place that lists the usenet providers that are basically the same company?
Here's another one:

GoPackGo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 02:21 PM   #1023
Malcontent
Aka: Smiling Bob

If anyone is interested in an alternative to Sickbeard, take a look at 'NzbDrone'.

http://www.nzbdrone.com/

NZBDrone v2.0.0.740

NZBDrone is a PVR for newsgroup users. It can monitor multiple RSS feeds for new episodes of your favourite shows and will grab, sorts and renames them. It can also be configured to automatically upgrade the quality of files already downloaded if a better quality format becomes available.

Major Features Include:

Support for major platforms: Windows, Linux

Automatically detects new episodes

can scan your existing library and then download any old seasons that are missing

can watch for better versions and upgrade your existing episodes. eg. from DVD to Blu-Ray

fully configurable episode renaming

full integration with SABNzbd

full integration with XBMC (notification, library update, metadata)

full support for specials and multi-episode releases

beautiful UI
Malcontent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 06:17 AM   #1024
bengalfreak

Is anyone having any trouble successfully d/l current tv shows via usenet? I'm getting ready to cut the cord and want to make sure I can continue to use Usenet as a backup source if I happen to miss online eps.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:34 AM   #1025
GoPackGo

No trouble whatsoever. One of my friends is having issues, but that's because he refuses to automate with Sickbeard, and kicks off a download whenever he pleases. Because of that, by the time he goes to download a lot of things, they've been pulled.
Old 12-28-2013, 04:46 PM   #1026
bengalfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPackGo View Post
No trouble whatsoever. One of my friends is having issues, but that's because he refuses to automate with Sickbeard, and kicks off a download whenever he pleases. Because of that, by the time he goes to download a lot of things, they've been pulled.
Why in the world would you not let Sickbeard do all of the searching for you?
Old 12-28-2013, 04:48 PM   #1027
bengalfreak

Has anyone found a way to automate the search and d/l of subtitles for programs. Mac has a program that does it, but so far I have come up empty on Windows.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:29 PM   #1028
BradJW

Quote:
Has anyone found a way to automate the search and d/l of subtitles for programs. Mac has a program that does it, but so far I have come up empty on Windows.
I've never used this feature, but FileBot is free and says in the description it'll do it:

FileBot
The ultimate TV and Movie Renamer / Subtitle Downloader
BradJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 03:26 AM   #1029
bengalfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradJW View Post
I've never used this feature, but FileBot is free and says in the description it'll do it:

FileBot
The ultimate TV and Movie Renamer / Subtitle Downloader
Not really. It does a good job of finding the subtitles, d/l them, and changing the name to match your video file, but it doesn't do any of it automatically, you still have to drag your video files to file bot to get it going. I'd like a completely automated solution. Don't know if its because I'm super busy or super lazy.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:27 PM   #1030
etsolow
Don't Try

Quote:
Not really. It does a good job of finding the subtitles, d/l them, and changing the name to match your video file, but it doesn't do any of it automatically, you still have to drag your video files to file bot to get it going. I'd like a completely automated solution. Don't know if its because I'm super busy or super lazy.
FileBot can be automated, if you are so inclined!

http://www.filebot.net/cli.html
etsolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 05:04 PM   #1031
Malcontent

Quote:
Or NzbDrone (Windows, Linux). Mac version is in the works. It's looking more polished than Sickbeard lately.

Last edited by Malcontent : 01-01-2014 at 05:26 PM.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:09 PM   #1032
GoPackGo

Quote:
I don't know, as I said, it's my friend. Myself, I have SB and CP download EVERYTHING, but I have an enormous file server to populate, he doesn't.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:41 PM   #1033
BradJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcontent View Post
Or NzbDrone (Windows, Linux). Mac version is in the works. It's looking more polished than Sickbeard lately.
Is there really any reason to switch from Sickbeard to NzbDrone?

The only time I have to go to sickbeard is to add a show, and that takes only a couple of clicks. Once the show is added, everything else is automated.

(rarely I may have to go directly to dognzb if sickbeard doesn't find a certain show, but that's rare, and when it does happen it seems to be the same 2 or 3 shows)
BradJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 02:43 PM   #1034
MikeMar
Go Pats

Quote:

The only time I have to go to sickbeard is to add a show, and that takes only a couple of clicks. Once the show is added, everything else is automated.

(rarely I may have to go directly to dognzb if sickbeard doesn't find a certain show, but that's rare, and when it does happen it seems to be the same 2 or 3 shows)
+1 for me, just seems sickbeard can have a problem with 1 or 2 shows, but when I search, it's usually a weird naming convention.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeMar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 02:56 PM   #1035
Malcontent

Quote:
If your happy with Sickbeard then no. Nzbdrone is just an alternative. I thought I would mention it for the benefit of others who might be interested in automating their downloads.

I do believe Drone is being more actively developed than Sickbeard. The developer is more responsive with users suggestions. The GUI is prettier and it runs faster. Integrates with usenet clients easier. Post processing of files is much easier without the use of scripts.

Last edited by Malcontent : 01-13-2014 at 07:24 PM.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:57 PM   #1036
danterner
Not it!

I'm happy with Sickbeard, but just checked out NZBDrone and it looks pretty slick. Not sure if it's worth switching, but the UI is definitely a step up.
| Twitter:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 03:02 PM   #1037
DUDE_NJX

Is there a Mac build of NZBDrone?
DUDE_NJX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 03:04 PM   #1038
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUDE_NJX View Post
Is there a Mac build of NZBDrone?
It's being developed. The developer has it working on a Mac and is testing it and working out the kinks. No ETA on when it will be released.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:45 PM   #1039
brettatk
If I Only Knew

Can you import all your shows from Sickbeard into NZBDrone? If so I'd think about switching but I don't want to set up all my shows again. At least there is an alternative if ever need be.
brettatk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 03:57 PM   #1040
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettatk View Post
Can you import all your shows from Sickbeard into NZBDrone? If so I'd think about switching but I don't want to set up all my shows again. At least there is an alternative if ever need be.
No option that I'm aware of at the moment.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:35 PM   #1041
Win Joy Jr

Well, the Credit Card I am using for frugelusenet has expired. Before I go and make the changes on PayPal, any suggestions for a provider? I have been having issues getting complete posts recently...
Old 01-02-2014, 06:51 PM   #1042
Ment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win Joy Jr View Post
Well, the Credit Card I am using for frugelusenet has expired. Before I go and make the changes on PayPal, any suggestions for a provider? I have been having issues getting complete posts recently...
Try Tweaknews trial on your incompletes. Anything more than a few days out you'll probably not get but its worth a shot. I use it as my block backup to Blocknews/frugal. It used to be when you let the trial run out they'd send you a coupon code but don't know if thats in effect anymore.
Ment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:00 PM   #1043
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win Joy Jr View Post
+1 Ment

I would keep Frugal and buy a block from Tweaknews (use as backup server) which is what I've done. The block should last a good while because it won't be used unless parts are missing from Frugal. A pretty cheap and effective combo. No provider(s) is 100% bullet proof.

BTW, are you having completion issues downloading new or old stuff?

Best thing is to automate as much of your downloading as possible with programs like Sickbeard/Nzbdrone and Couchpotato.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:28 PM   #1044
Win Joy Jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcontent View Post
+1 Ment

I would keep Frugal and buy a block from Tweaknews (use as backup server) which is what I've done. The block should last a good while because it won't be used unless parts are missing from Frugal. A pretty cheap and effective combo. No provider(s) is 100% bullet proof.

BTW, are you having completion issues downloading new or old stuff?

Best thing is to automate as much of your downloading as possible with programs like Sickbeard/Nzbdrone and Couchpotato.
Yeah, I know I need to automate. Its a combination of new and old that I am having issues with.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:48 PM   #1045
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettatk View Post
Yes
| Twitter:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:16 AM   #1046
bengalfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by etsolow View Post
FileBot can be automated, if you are so inclined!

http://www.filebot.net/cli.html
I was unaware of this. Thanks a million.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:21 AM   #1047
The Spud
Nick Danger, 3rd Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
I'm happy with Sickbeard, but just checked out NZBDrone and it looks pretty slick. Not sure if it's worth switching, but the UI is definitely a step up.
I spent some time playing with NZBDrone yesterday and I think it so much more elegant than Sickbeard. It took me a while to get everything configured correctly, probably because I was making it more complicated than necessary. The true test will come on Tuesday when 2 shows should be automatically downloaded. Assuming NZBDrone passes the test, I will be switching for good.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:59 AM   #1048
Malcontent

One of the features of Nzbdrone I like is if a download fails, it will try and download a different release of the episode. Drone blacklists the failed release so that it won't attempt to download the same release again. This currently only works if your using Sabnzbd.
Old 01-05-2014, 01:02 PM   #1049
MikeMar
Go Pats

uhhh I could not for the life of me get NzbDrone to see my NAS at all. And I get so lost in that it runs as a service, I dislike that you can't easily turn it off like SickBeard

Looks really slick and great features, but I'll probably never use it now, oh well

MikeMar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:06 PM   #1050
vertigo235

I'm running sickbeard on my synology Nas, doesn't look like an option w nzbdrone.

vertigo235 is offline   Reply With Quote