TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-05-2014, 10:18 AM   #1
MattP333

Selecting Input on TV with TiVo Remote

In order to change inputs on my Westinghouse TV I choose "input," scroll to the desired source, then select "enter."

My problem is that my standard TiVo remote does not seem to have an "enter" button for the TV. I can choose "input" and scroll to the different sources, but cannot select any of those inputs.

Any thoughts/advice?

Matt
MattP333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:58 AM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattP333 View Post
In order to change inputs on my Westinghouse TV I choose "input," scroll to the desired source, then select "enter."

My problem is that my standard TiVo remote does not seem to have an "enter" button for the TV. I can choose "input" and scroll to the different sources, but cannot select any of those inputs.

Any thoughts/advice?

Matt
Find the "restart the TiVo" setting in the menu, select it, hit thumbs down 3 times and then right after you hit enter, pull the TiVo's power cord.

Then try every button on the TiVo remote on the TV until you find one that does what you want or you confirm that none of them do.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:43 AM   #3
jntc

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Find the "restart the TiVo" setting in the menu, select it, hit thumbs down 3 times and then right after you hit enter, pull the TiVo's power cord.

Then try every button on the TiVo remote on the TV until you find one that does what you want or you confirm that none of them do.
None of them are going to work, the 'input', 'power' and 'volume' are the only ones that are 'settable' if you will...

The Tivo remote will not work for what he needs to do, which is select 'input' then scroll to the desired input, then enter. 'scroll (direction pad)' and 'enter' are only set to control the Tivo.
jntc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:35 PM   #4
poppagene
User

Quote:

Any thoughts/advice?

Matt
When you get to the input you want try volume up (or down) that works on my samsung tv. I don't have a westinghouse tv to try it out on so it may work differentyly on your tv.
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:11 PM   #5
MattP333

Thanks for the responses. Poppagene - the up/down volume didn't work. I think jntc is right, which is very disappointing. I thought TiVo would help me simplify my life, but in reality its just a glorified DVR.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:40 PM   #6
Edmund
Remote Czar

See if you can Directv/Tivo remote, instead of having pvr1/pvr2, it has sat/tv switch.
Edmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 02:45 PM   #7
Tivogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppagene View Post
When you get to the input you want try volume up (or down) that works on my samsung tv. I don't have a westinghouse tv to try it out on so it may work differentyly on your tv.
This is also what works for me.
Samsung 72", 56", 4 x 32" HDTV
Sony 40" HDTV
iRule + iTach Remotes
Tivogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 03:17 PM   #8
steve614
what ru lookin at?

My Samsung TV, upon highlighting an input, will automatically switch to that input if left alone. Does the Westinghouse TV not do this? Strange.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 03:21 PM   #9
MattP333

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
My Samsung TV, upon highlighting an input, will automatically switch to that input if left alone. Does the Westinghouse TV not do this? Strange.
No, my TV doesn't work like that.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:01 PM   #10
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
but in reality its just a glorified DVR.
I don't think Tivo has claimed their boxes to be anything else, so I don't get how you can complain that something is only what it's supposed to be.
And it's funny that you blame the Tivo when it's your tv that doesn't operate the same way that the vast majority of other tv's operate.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:03 PM   #11
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Oh, if you're switching inputs, you must be changing to a different device, so you'd need to put down the tivo remote and use another remote. use the remote you'll be using anyway to change the input.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:18 PM   #12
MattP333

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
Oh, if you're switching inputs, you must be changing to a different device, so you'd need to put down the tivo remote and use another remote. use the remote you'll be using anyway to change the input.
I'm switching devices because TiVo doesn't support Amazon Prime... But I'm not really blaming TiVo. You're right that my TV is primitive. Its just frustrating, that is all.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:53 AM   #13
HerronScott

I believe my Onkyo receiver had 2 methods for moving between inputs. One similar to what you describe on your TV and a second that would just cycle through them with each press of the input button on the TiVo remote. I just had to find the right button on the receiver remote that cycled and have the Glo remote learn that one for the input.

You might see if your TV has something similar.

Scott
  4. S1 Phillips - 120GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
  5. S1 Sony - 30GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
HerronScott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:40 AM   #14
poppagene
User

Quote:
Thanks for the responses. Poppagene - the up/down volume didn't work. I think jntc is right, which is very disappointing. I thought TiVo would help me simplify my life, but in reality its just a glorified DVR.
In order to "scroll" to the next input on my samsung tv, I need to repeatedly press the input button until it gets to the desireed input. Once it is "on" the desired input, the volume button "selects" that source for me.
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:18 AM   #15
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppagene View Post
In order to "scroll" to the next input on my samsung tv, I need to repeatedly press the input button until it gets to the desireed input. Once it is "on" the desired input, the volume button "selects" that source for me.

He said that didn't work, telling him a second time isn't going to magically change anything.