TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-01-2014, 05:31 PM   #1
rgr

Search function

Saw an ad for new show "Bitten" and did a search for it. Typed it in and while I did find it, it was several pages down the list. Even though the title is Bitten, doing a search on bitten puts a LOT of other shows above it, Like "Cujo" where Bitten is in the description.

Is there any way to restrict a search to the TITLE and ignore description, actor names, etc?

And is there any way to save search options or have them be persistent from use to use?

Search used to be a useful function on the series 3, this is almost completely useless.

Or am I missing something?

[edit: Looks like the Bitten I found isn't in the guide yet (so I'm not even sure why it was findable). The show is on the 13th so is within the 2 week window. I'd just thought that looking for a show called Bitten would be top of the list on "best match" not several pages down.]

Last edited by rgr : 01-01-2014 at 06:04 PM. Reason: further clarification
rgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:48 AM   #2
kbmb

I see this same behavior. So first off.....no I don't know a way to restrict it during a search. The Tivo search is "supposed" to be smart enough and match correctly....which for my it does most of the time.

I do notice that with newer shows, and shows that are far out in the guide, sometimes the search doesn't do a good job. It's almost like Tivo's backend isn't indexing it yet.

1/13 is definitely within the 2 week window and it does appear in my guide if I go to that day.

I notice that a Wishlist search picks it up, but that also matches a bunch of other stuff.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.....but figured I'd let you know you aren't doing anything wrong....I see the same here.

-Kevin
kbmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:09 PM   #3
tatergator1

On the search page, there should be options shown for the colored buttons. The default is "best match" or something like that. I believe the "b" button will change that option. Tivo seems to employ a ranking system for searching to make it easier to find "popular content". Since Bitten is new, the ranking data is likely limited, therefore pushing it down the list.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:13 PM   #4
kbmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
On the search page, there should be options shown for the colored buttons. The default is "best match" or something like that. I believe the "b" button will change that option. Tivo seems to employ a ranking system for searching to make it easier to find "popular content". Since Bitten is new, the ranking data is likely limited, therefore pushing it down the list.
Yeah, I think you can toggle between Best Match and Name? But that's for sorting only I believe, not the actual search.

Once Tivo has good data, usually they are right. So searching for Bitten will eventually have it at the top because the title of the show probably is given more weight than say a show title, or an actors name.

I think you are right in that the data is limited because it's a new show.

-Kevin
kbmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:19 PM   #5
tatergator1

As a general rule of thumb, I've found that while Tivo advertises 14-days of guide data, search and other functionality are usually only fully reliable for a 10-12 day window. I attribute it to how it internally indexes the Guide.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:32 PM   #6
rainwater

Yeah, for TiVo Search (which is cloud based, not based on your actual guide data), you will be unlikely to find good results for anything more than 10 days out. And for new shows, I've seen TiVo not properly index shows until even later. Although that could be a Tribune guide data issue and not a TiVo one.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 03:15 PM   #7
Fred C Dobbs

I would like to restrict the search to channels I receive, rather than anything available from the various streaming services.

I'm coming from a series 3, and prefer how that box simply listed things alphabetically based on what I typed, rather than trying to predict what I want.

FCD
Fred C Dobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:05 PM   #8
rgr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred C Dobbs View Post
I would like to restrict the search to channels I receive, rather than anything available from the various streaming services.

I'm coming from a series 3, and prefer how that box simply listed things alphabetically based on what I typed, rather than trying to predict what I want.

FCD
Exactly my situation. My old series 3 didn't get all the cloud crap and restricted the search for a show to (shockingly) the name of the actual show. No actor searches, no pay-for searches, etc. etc. Maybe if the new search had options that could be set and stayed persistent, this would be fine. But as it stands now the search is too global and therefore almost unusable. Yet another example where adding features reduces functionality.
rgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:07 AM   #9
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
As a general rule of thumb, I've found that while Tivo advertises 14-days of guide data, search and other functionality are usually only fully reliable for a 10-12 day window. I attribute it to how it internally indexes the Guide.
Yes, the TiVo is inconsistent around the edges. I've never seen a 10 day window though, only not being able to go more than 10 days in the future (remembering that the window includes a couple of days of guide data in the past)
Old 01-04-2014, 01:58 PM   #10
caughey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred C Dobbs View Post

If you go to search, you can push the yellow A button to select Record Only as the Source as well as select sort order and other options.

I like some things about the Series 3 TiVo search better too, even if it is still only in beta...
caughey is offline   Reply With Quote