TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-04-2014, 04:21 AM   #1
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

How to control a Roamio and an older Tivo with only the Roamio remote.

You would need to have all the Tivos' remote address in System Information set to a different address for this to work, 0 is just an address that uses all 1-9 addresses. The Roamio needs the remote address set also.

It is best to use a remote with a 1-2 switch to set beforehand.

If instructions are needed, go to:

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/...mote%20address

Be sure you are out of the System Information screen on both Tivos, or they might get changed.

Now, on to setting the Roamio remote.

Press and hold Tivo + C to switch to IR mode. Set the remote using Tivo + Pause (from above) to set the address of the other TiVo. Remote should blink red on button presses. Done. You can now control the other Tivo under this mode.

To get back to controlling the Roamio, Press and hold TiVo + D. Remote blinks yellow under RF mode remote use.

The end result is roamio is under RF control (TiVo + D) and the other is on IR (TiVo + C) and you can just switch between the two.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:10 AM   #2
ADG
Allan

So you'd need to switch between IR and RF to control one or the other. I prefer using a remote with a 1/2 switch (which is what I do for the two units in the bedroom).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:51 AM   #3
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Switching between IR/RF is actually a clever way to address this issue.

I was bummed when TiVo moved away from the remotes with the DVR switch since it was so useful for controlling the three TiVos we have used for years. I just got a six tuner Roamio to replace all of them, so hopefully the current remote will do the job until six tuners turns out to be insufficient.
"You know, ground beef is a real winner nowadays" -- Faster Guy
sbourgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:21 AM   #4
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbourgeo View Post
Switching between IR/RF is actually a clever way to address this issue.

I was bummed when TiVo moved away from the remotes with the DVR switch since it was so useful for controlling the three TiVos we have used for years. I just got a six tuner Roamio to replace all of them, so hopefully the current remote will do the job until six tuners turns out to be insufficient.
Just use a Harmony remote. At one time I had half a dozen TiVos programmed into a Harmony One, all with a different remote code.

But if you want to like to use the TiVo remote, and only have two to deal with at the same location. I think the easiest solution is just to use two separate TiVo remotes. At least this is what i do in my main setup since I want to use a Slide Pro with my Roamio Pro and also use a Slide Pro with my Roamio BAsic in the same room.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote