TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-31-2013, 09:46 AM   #1
innocentfreak

Static in menus on Roamio Pro?

I only found one other thread that mentioned it, but it was in relation to Xfinity on demand. http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=507890

Is anyone else getting occasional continuous static in the menus? The only way to stop it once it starts appears to be to switch to live TV or turn on the video window. It never seems to happen if the video window is on though so if you leave the preview window up you wouldn't see it except unless you were in settings. I have had it happen while creating wishlists, creating season passes, and when I selected another TiVo to browse.

I am directly connected to my TV via HDMI with no receiver and previously had a Roku hooked up without issue. I have tried both PCM and Dolby with the same results. It seems to happen instead of a sound effect and then doesn't quit until a video starts playing. I haven't read any reports of it so I am wondering if maybe there is a problem with my Roamio.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:25 AM   #2
generaltso

That happened to me randomly last night. That was the first time it's happened, and I wasn't able to figure out how to reproduce it. My Roamio Pro is connected through an Onkyo receiver via HDMI.
generaltso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:28 PM   #3
MScottC

We had this happen while my wife was playing Wordsmith.
MScottC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:10 PM   #4
innocentfreak

It seems like it might be related to the speed you move through the menus. I don't think I have seen it when going slow. It seems to happen most when I am going quick and not waiting for the TiVo for example when spelling out a word in find TV shows.

Old 08-31-2013, 02:42 PM   #5
BigJimOutlaw

I've had this happen 2 or 3 times. I was in Search each time.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:02 PM   #6
Crrink

Set up my Roamio Pro last night, today I was quickly going through the menu to name it, and had this happen. Haven't come across any solutions yet - if I do I'll post.
Crrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:28 PM   #7
mrizzo80

Sounds like this. Fix should be coming this fall.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...95#post9814795
mrizzo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:16 PM   #8
innocentfreak

The trick I found is just to go slightly slower. Also if you notice a missed sound effect slow down since if you continue it might cause the static.

I have always been extremely quick going through menus but on the Premiere and older TiVos this was only as quick as the UI can render. Now that the HDUI is so much faster you can actually go as quick in real time.

Old 01-03-2014, 06:49 PM   #9
harristl

Menu Sounds

It has happened to me several times. When the television sound returns, the Tivo's menu sounds are usually unavailable until I power cycle the television / speaker bar. I assume that's an HDMI synch issue of some sort. I've also seen the TiVo reboot when it happens. Glad to hear a fix is coming.

I've owned almost every iteration of TiVo box and I'm pretty happy with this one (other than the poor Amazon Video app). It's certainly much better than the Premier was!
harristl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:09 PM   #10
AdamNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by harristl View Post
It has happened to me several times. When the television sound returns, the Tivo's menu sounds are usually unavailable until I power cycle the television / speaker bar. I assume that's an HDMI synch issue of some sort. I've also seen the TiVo reboot when it happens. Glad to hear a fix is coming.

I've owned almost every iteration of TiVo box and I'm pretty happy with this one (other than the poor Amazon Video app). It's certainly much better than the Premier was!
This thread is about a loud static noise, not loss of TiVo beeps and boots, which you seem to be describing. The static noise fix is already in the current software.

on Cablevision Raritan Valley system (Central NJ)
w/ Cisco PKM803 CableCARD on firmware 1.5.3.1101

*** 2013 newbie to Tivo ***
AdamNJ is offline   Reply With Quote