TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:56 PM   #1
NobleHeretic

Angry Stream "Precondition Failed" on Roamio Plus

I have a new Roamio Plus and am having some issues with getting the Stream device in the Roamio to fire up properly. When I try and set-up my iOS devices it detects the Roamio Stream on the network and gives me the options to Set-up In Home and OOH streaming but fails on Step 1 or when it hits Step 2 (hard to tell). When I go into System Information either on the app or directly to http://<Stream IP>:49152/sysinfo, it show "Precondition Failed" under Streaming State. Further under the Service tab it shows Service Level A and Service Streaming Disabled.

I have done ALL of the following things in a myriad of orders:
  • Make Service Call
  • Restart Streaming Device
  • Reboot Tivo
  • Reboot ANY/ALL Network Devices
  • Force a TiVo Service Call
  • Uninstall/Re-Install the iOS client (on multiple devices)
  • Simplify my home network to just the Roamio and my Verizon Router
  • Try installing just in Home
  • Try authorizing with the MAK and/or TiVo Account info

When I call TiVo Tech Support it is always back to could you Force a Service Call, reboot your TiVo, reboot your router... I can't even get them to listen to the errors I am seeing, just take me down the script! Frustrated beyond belief!

Anyone?

Thanks
Roamio Plus (CableCard and Gigabit Ethernet)
NobleHeretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 04:42 PM   #2
CurtisG

Having the EXACT same issue here. Have spent hours with customer support to no avail.

I've posted on the TiVo Forum but no solution identified.

http://forums.tivo.com/pe/action/for...ostID=11167402
CurtisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:15 PM   #3
kbmb

I'd send a tweet to @tivodesign and see if Margret can assist. Sounds like maybe a Tivo side config error or maybe bad hardware? Has it ever worked?

-Kevin
kbmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:22 PM   #4
mrizzo80

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtisG View Post
Having the EXACT same issue here. Have spent hours with customer support to no avail.

I've posted on the TiVo Forum but no solution identified.

http://forums.tivo.com/pe/action/for...ostID=11167402
Do you have Service Level: A in your TiVo System Info screen like the other poster? There are sporadic reports of this (going back years) causing plenty of problems if you google for it... I didn't see any obvious solutions though. Seems like CSR's should know how to handle Service Level issues - or at least know who to refer it to for resolution.
mrizzo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:33 PM   #5
CurtisG

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
I'd send a tweet to @tivodesign and see if Margret can assist. Sounds like maybe a Tivo side config error or maybe bad hardware? Has it ever worked?

-Kevin
It's a brand new unit which I got for Christmas.
Build date of 22-November-2913

So no, it's never worked
Old 01-02-2014, 05:36 PM   #6
CurtisG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrizzo80 View Post
Do you have Service Level: A in your TiVo System Info screen like the other poster? There are sporadic reports of this (going back years) causing plenty of problems if you google for it... I didn't see any obvious solutions though. Seems like CSR's should know how to handle Service Level issues - or at least know who to refer it to for resolution.
No, I get a 'Precondition Failed' error
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TIVO #1.jpg (48.7 KB, 59 views)
Old 01-02-2014, 06:19 PM   #7
kbmb

Quote:
No, I get a 'Precondition Failed' error
I think you need to click on Full System Information and then on that click on the Service button.

-Kevin
kbmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:05 PM   #8
CurtisG

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
I think you need to click on Full System Information and then on that click on the Service button.

-Kevin
Kevin - Yes, I do get the "Service Level: A" message there
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TiVo #3.jpg (24.9 KB, 52 views)
Old 01-02-2014, 07:25 PM   #9
moyekj

Looks to me like the problem is "Secure HLS Data=Not Available" from that screenshot. What iOS version (and device) are you trying to run this on?
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:32 PM   #10
jrtroo
User

How new is your box? Sometimes it takes a day or two for all of the dots to be connected through the various systems for the transfers to work correctly.

Some have reported that a few reboots/connections to Tivo can accelerate that process. Thus, the scripts for the CSRs have merit. However, others have just taken a day or two, especially over weekends.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:33 PM   #11
CurtisG

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Looks to me like the problem is "Secure HLS Data=Not Available" from that screenshot. What iOS version (and device) are you trying to run this on?
IOS 7.0.4 on iPad Air running latest version of TiVo app
Same errors gotten when tried on an iPad 2 and iPad 3
Old 01-02-2014, 07:38 PM   #12
moyekj

Quote:
IOS 7.0.4 on iPad Air running latest version of TiVo app
Same errors gotten when tried on an iPad 2 and iPad 3
And this is using built in Stream for a Roamio Plus right? How is the Roamio connected to your network?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:43 PM   #13
CurtisG

Quote:
And this is using built in Stream for a Roamio Plus right? How is the Roamio connected to your network?
Yes - built-in Stream in a Roamio Plus unit

Roamio is connected via MoCa to Verizion FIOS Actiontec router
Old 01-02-2014, 07:57 PM   #14
moyekj

Quote:
Yes - built-in Stream in a Roamio Plus unit

Roamio is connected via MoCa to Verizion FIOS Actiontec router
Sounds OK - wireless would have been a red flag. It's a long shot, but if possible perhaps run a long ethernet cable if you have one from Roamio to your router just to see if that makes any difference. i.e. Take MoCA out of equation temporarily just to be sure. It's unlikely to be the problem but worth a shot...

I have a similar setup with a Stream built into Roamio Pro, latest iOS and iPad Air and I'm connecting my Roamio directly to Gigabit router on my LAN.

Old 01-02-2014, 08:07 PM   #15
CurtisG

Quote:
Sounds OK - wireless would have been a red flag. It's a long shot, but if possible perhaps run a long ethernet cable if you have one from Roamio to your router just to see if that makes any difference. i.e. Take MoCA out of equation temporarily just to be sure. It's unlikely to be the problem but worth a shot...

I have a similar setup with a Stream built into Roamio Pro, latest iOS and iPad Air and I'm connecting my Roamio directly to Gigabit router on my LAN.
Tried the hardwired ethernet connection, and that didn't fix things.
TiVo Customer Support suggested I tried a static IP (instead of the DHCP Dynamic addresses current set-up), but that didn't fix it either.

Also rebooted the whole network, TiVo boxes, etc.. too to no avail.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:07 PM   #16
CurtisG

What are possible causes for the "Secure HLS Data=Not Available" condition?
Did several searches but didn't really find anything about this
Old 01-02-2014, 10:06 PM   #17
NobleHeretic

All the same issues as CurtisG. One other issue we have in common is the Netflix App when launched reports "App Temporarily Unavailable" Error Code (V301). Attached is a screen shot showing the same Service Level issue and Secure HLS Data error. I believe after quite a bit of back and forth with Curtis that no amount of forcing connections and rebooting of the TiVo has any effect on the issue of the Stream Device not understanding that it should be activated. My device has been up and online through a wired Ethernet connection since 12/26.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TiVo Roamio Stream Error Shot.jpg (16.8 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by NobleHeretic : 01-02-2014 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Cropped Image
Old 01-02-2014, 10:29 PM   #18
NobleHeretic

I just dropped a PM to Margret on this forum giving her a link to this thread and the similar one in the official TiVo Forums.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:16 PM   #19
moyekj

The Netflix not launching issue is an account specific back-end issue, so perhaps the Stream also has back-end account setting that is messed up. These back-end issues have been the cause of numerous strange problems, for example not being able to get Minis activated/paired. I wish TiVo was more transparent about the back-end settings and gave us a way to view them. Problem is getting hold of a competent CSR that knows about back-end settings and how to check them.

The Stream web page at times displays extra things (almost like a debug mode) depending on browser you use, and I could swear at some point I saw different debug type options on 1 page like disabling HLS. So I think there are some back end settings related to HLS which maybe have to be set for things to work.

EDIT: Using Internet Explorer and entering http://<stream ip>:49152/sysinfo for me gives an "Advanced" button which when you click on it shows HLS related booleans such as "Encrypted HLS", "Rotate HLS Keys", "Secure HLS", "Secure HLS Developer Override"
(With Firefox I don't see the Advanced Page, so it's probably a TiVo javascript bug not working right with IE).
So there are certainly several settings related to HLS. Don't know if any of this helps...

Last edited by moyekj : 01-02-2014 at 11:22 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:18 AM   #20
NobleHeretic

Moyekj,

I am a mac guy so no option for IE, but I did try Safari, Chrome, Opera and Firefox. With Opera I was able to get to the Advanced tab as the Javascript broke on load and the dialogue Opera popped up let me catch it before the advance option disappeared. Attached is a screenshot of the current state of the Advanced tab. I have not tried tweaking anything yet, but will be playing with it today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Roamio Stream Advanced Options Page.jpg (31.0 KB, 43 views)
Old 01-03-2014, 09:31 AM   #21
moyekj

Unfortunately, I don't believe you'll be able to actually change any of those settings since I think the Stream has to be in test/develop mode, but you can certainly try. If by some miracle you can actually change settings then I would try turning off Secure HLS.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:17 AM   #22
CurtisG

I am starting to believe this is a bad hardware batch.

My serial number is: 84800019035F3C8 with a build date of 22-November-2913 bought from Best Buy in mid-December

I think I'm going to return this unit

Just sadly disappointed with the lack of help from TiVo Support. Really disappointed.

--curtis

Quote:[quote]
Originally Posted by schwed View the original post
My serial number: 84800019035F434

I'm starting to believe this is a defective batch.
[\QUOTE]
Old 01-04-2014, 08:18 AM   #23
CurtisG

I am starting to believe this is a bad hardware batch.

My serial number is: 84800019035F3C8 with a build date of 22-November-2913 bought from Best Buy in mid-December

I think I'm going to return this unit

Just sadly disappointed with the lack of help from TiVo Support. Really disappointed.

--curtis

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwed View Post
Originally Posted by schwed View the original post
My serial number: 84800019035F434

I'm starting to believe this is a defective batch.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:42 AM   #24
NCC2893

I have a similar issue. Roamio Plus connected via coax to Fios Actiontec Router. In home streaming works perfectly. I cannot get out of home streaming to set up on an iPad Air or iPhone 5S.

I turned off IGMP on my router, as recommended in some other threads.

When connected on my home network the streaming state is "ready" in the full system information screen in the app. When I try to set up streaming outside of my home network, I get the attached error. (Interestingly, only the TSN and name show up in the system information screen. Everything else is "unknown."

Any ideas?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0163.jpg (64.5 KB, 26 views)
NCC2893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:04 PM   #25
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC2893 View Post
I have a similar issue. Roamio Plus connected via coax to Fios Actiontec Router. In home streaming works perfectly. I cannot get out of home streaming to set up on an iPad Air or iPhone 5S.

I turned off IGMP on my router, as recommended in some other threads.

When connected on my home network the streaming state is "ready" in the full system information screen in the app. When I try to set up streaming outside of my home network, I get the attached error. (Interestingly, only the TSN and name show up in the system information screen. Everything else is "unknown."

Any ideas?
That's a different issue than being discussed in this thread. You have to make sure you go through Stream setup while on your home network and enable OOH option before OOH streaming will work.

Old 01-04-2014, 01:09 PM   #26
NCC2893

Apologies if it appeared that I was trying to hijack this thread. I'll repost elsewhere.

I did, however, complete the setup on my home network, so that is not the issue. (I don't believe the setup screen as I described appears until after the in home setup has been completed.)
NCC2893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 05:42 PM   #27
NobleHeretic

So I tried emailing TiVo support with a laundry list of the things that had been attempted and they came back with try Static IP addresses on your Roamio AND internal Stream. Well lo and behold there is no way I can find to set a Static IP address on the internal Stream. So I did all this:
  • - Set a Static IP on the Roamio
  • - Rebooted the Roamio (still DHCP on the Stream)
  • - Re-started the Stream device via http://<STREAM IP>:49152/sysinfo (still DHCP on the Stream)
  • - Configured the Verizon Router (Actiontec MI424-WR Rev. D,F/W Version: 4.0.16.1.56.0.10.14.4) to not intervene in any connection between the WAN and the specific Static IP of the Roamio and the Dynamically assigned IP of the Stream (all ports and protocols)
  • - Forced a successful TiVo service connection on the Roamio
  • - Forced a "make a service call" on the Stream via the iOS application
  • - Power down re-boot of the TiVo Roamio
  • - NO CHANGES
  • - Put the Stream device IP in a DMZ on the router and repeated the above steps
  • - NO CHANGE
  • - Plugged the TiVO into an Airport Extreme router in Bridge Mode to the Verizon Router that has the DHCP server enabled and is the connection to the Verizon FIOs service
  • - Created a separate WiFi network on the Airport Extreme Router so any connection between the iOS devices linked to that WiFi network had a direct connection through that router to the Wired Ethernet port on the TiVo (The Airport Extreme was not doing ANY kind of firewalling whatsoever)

Then returned them an email with the above and the following questions:
  • - What is causing the Precondition Failed status?
  • - Why is the Service Level on the Stream "A"?
  • - Why is the Secure HLS Data "Not Available"?
  • - Why is the Streaming Service "Disabled"?
  • - Why is it that all the other people who are experiencing this issue are also experiencing the NetFlix "Application Temporarily Unavailable (V301)" error as soon as they attempt to launch the NetFlix App?

I also sent an email directly to Margret Schmidt asking for someone (preferably an engineer) to give me a call so I could collaboratively troubleshoot this issue.

Ain't we got FUN!
Old 01-04-2014, 06:59 PM   #28
CurtisG

I tried the STATIC IP address thing myself a few days ago - didn't do anything to fix this issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobleHeretic View Post
So I tried emailing TiVo support with a laundry list of the things that had been attempted and they came back with try Static IP addresses on your Roamio AND internal Stream. Well lo and behold there is no way I can find to set a Static IP address on the internal Stream. So I did all this:
  • - Set a Static IP on the Roamio
  • - Rebooted the Roamio (still DHCP on the Stream)
  • - Re-started the Stream device via http://<STREAM IP>:49152/sysinfo (still DHCP on the Stream)
  • - Configured the Verizon Router (Actiontec MI424-WR Rev. D,F/W Version: 4.0.16.1.56.0.10.14.4) to not intervene in any connection between the WAN and the specific Static IP of the Roamio and the Dynamically assigned IP of the Stream (all ports and protocols)
  • - Forced a successful TiVo service connection on the Roamio
  • - Forced a "make a service call" on the Stream via the iOS application
  • - Power down re-boot of the TiVo Roamio
  • - NO CHANGES
  • - Put the Stream device IP in a DMZ on the router and repeated the above steps
  • - NO CHANGE
  • - Plugged the TiVO into an Airport Extreme router in Bridge Mode to the Verizon Router that has the DHCP server enabled and is the connection to the Verizon FIOs service
  • - Created a separate WiFi network on the Airport Extreme Router so any connection between the iOS devices linked to that WiFi network had a direct connection through that router to the Wired Ethernet port on the TiVo (The Airport Extreme was not doing ANY kind of firewalling whatsoever)

Then returned them an email with the above and the following questions:
  • - What is causing the Precondition Failed status?
  • - Why is the Service Level on the Stream "A"?
  • - Why is the Secure HLS Data "Not Available"?
  • - Why is the Streaming Service "Disabled"?
  • - Why is it that all the other people who are experiencing this issue are also experiencing the NetFlix "Application Temporarily Unavailable (V301)" error as soon as they attempt to launch the NetFlix App?

I also sent an email directly to Margret Schmidt asking for someone (preferably an engineer) to give me a call so I could collaboratively troubleshoot this issue.

Ain't we got FUN!

Old 01-04-2014, 10:19 PM   #29
CurtisG

Are there are internal diagnostic or other tests that one can run to check on the internal STREAM's condition?
Old 01-05-2014, 11:28 AM   #30
NobleHeretic

Update from a post in the Official TiVo forums - http://forums.tivo.com/pe/action/for...ostID=11167893
One person who has all the same issues attempted a solution by replacing both the TiVo Roamio and his router. To this point it has had no impact on solving the issue.