Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-31-2013, 01:20 PM   #121
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigK View Post
Sorry, BBC America. Just the first two episodes popped up so it's on the very end of the To Do list window. Your TiVo guide data probably doesn't go that far yet. Next update will probably do it.
So I check my Wish List for Orphan Black. No episodes show up.

I then go to channel info under setting up a recording. It does list Orphan Black on 1/12. I create a season pass for it. It creates it, but shows no shows recording. I go back to the channel listing and select view up coming shows and it lists no shows even though it does show up under BBC America.

Anyway I check to see when my TiVo made its last connection and it was a bit after 1 PM so I suspect it is still compiling the new data or whatever it does.

I'm sure it will be right tomorrow.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up!
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 01:37 PM   #122
gweempose

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigK View Post

Sorry, BBC America. Just the first two episodes popped up so it's on the very end of the To Do list window. Your TiVo guide data probably doesn't go that far yet. Next update will probably do it.
I just connected to the mothership, and the guide does now show the first two episodes. Just set up a Season Pass. Thanks for the heads-up!
By the way, how exactly does the search function work? I'm assuming the results must be based on popularity. I was shocked when Orphan Black came up after only typing in the letter "O".
(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 06:46 PM   #123
Zevida
witless and unarmed

In my view the two types of reality shows are competition and non-competition.

The competition shows (Survivor, Big Brother, American Idol) are filmed and manipulated and edited for maximum entertainment value, but aren't "fixed" so that their outcome is known in advance.

The non-completion shows (Pawn Stars, Real Housewives, Swamp People) are staged and scripted almost as much as a fiction show. Some more than others. These are not documentaries or news stories. They are fixed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- billypritchard
Zevida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:48 PM   #124
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevida View Post

The competition shows (Survivor, Big Brother, American Idol) are filmed and manipulated and edited for maximum entertainment value, but aren't "fixed" so that their outcome is known in advance.

The non-completion shows (Pawn Stars, Real Housewives, Swamp People) are staged and scripted almost as much as a fiction show. Some more than others. These are not documentaries or news stories. They are fixed.
I concur with this, although on both I'd add that they very likely cast for "big personalities," and in some cases, very *specific* personalities that they know are more than likely to produce the results they're looking for.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:00 PM   #125
mr.unnatural

Quote:

I'd agree, but I'm still suspect about whether some of the competition shows are "fixed" or not. I wouldn't put it past any of the studio execs to try and sway the outcome one way or another. I don't watch any of them so I have no way of knowing.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:22 PM   #126
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
I'd agree, but I'm still suspect about whether some of the competition shows are "fixed" or not. I wouldn't put it past any of the studio execs to try and sway the outcome one way or another. I don't watch any of them so I have no way of knowing.
Competition shows, reality or not, fall under the category of game shows, and they have to be extremely careful *not* to sway the results, due to federal law. They can edit the show however they feel, as long as the results shown are accurately portrayed.

(Admittedly, whether the "quiz show" laws apply to reality-based competition shows is a matter of some debate. However, the fact that there IS some debate causes the producers of these shows to often assume that they do apply, playing on the side of caution.)

Last edited by LoadStar : 12-31-2013 at 11:30 PM.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:34 AM   #127
Zevida
witless and unarmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
Sway, absolutely. But actually decide who wins? I don't think so. The producers don't cast the votes at Tribal Council. But they probably talk to the contestants. And shows like American Idol can certainly heavily influence who America votes for through editing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- billypritchard
Old 01-01-2014, 09:55 AM   #128
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
Aren't competitions game shows and isn't it illegal to rig game shows?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110932/
Turtleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:56 AM   #129
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
It's interesting how people who don't watch "reality" shows can't distinguish between Survivor and Real Housewives of Atlanta.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:04 AM   #130
Jstkiddn

Quote:
In my view the two types of reality shows are competition and non-competition. The competition shows (Survivor, Big Brother, American Idol) are filmed and manipulated and edited for maximum entertainment value, but aren't "fixed" so that their outcome is known in advance. The non-completion shows (Pawn Stars, Real Housewives, Swamp People) are staged and scripted almost as much as a fiction show. Some more than others. These are not documentaries or news stories. They are fixed.
This exactly. I do think the producers try to sway some things here and there (especially on Big Brother) but at the end of the day, they aren't the ones casting the votes. I also think they may put up certain physical competitions that may be better suited to one contestant over another, but as in any competition anything can happen and the results are never guaranteed.
Jstkiddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:07 AM   #131
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleboy View Post
It's interesting how people who don't watch "reality" shows can't distinguish between Survivor and Real Housewives of Atlanta.
There's a difference???
In reality they don't even exist for me. That's the characteristic that makes them the same for me.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:01 PM   #132
Adam1115
20,000!!!

I shouldn't have said Survivor, that was a mistake. I should've said Big Brother, Real World, 16 & Pregnant, Kardashians, Real Housewives, etc.

The distinction in my mind is that one set is about fake drama and arguments, the other is about 'something' - rebuilding classic cars, reselling real estate, driving a truck on an ice road, selling stuff in a pawn shop. Yes I know there are a lot of scripted elements to those as well, but there is still a big difference in the content of the show.
Adam1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 04:26 PM   #133
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam1115 View Post
I shouldn't have said Survivor, that was a mistake. I should've said Big Brother, Real World, 16 & Pregnant, Kardashians, Real Housewives, etc.

The distinction in my mind is that one set is about fake drama and arguments, the other is about 'something' - rebuilding classic cars, reselling real estate, driving a truck on an ice road, selling stuff in a pawn shop. Yes I know there are a lot of scripted elements to those as well, but there is still a big difference in the content of the show.
Big Brother is a competition.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:30 PM   #134
Zevida
witless and unarmed

Quote:

I think the only distinction in the way you are grouping shows is that some are about topics that interest you and some are about topics that do not interest you.

- billypritchard
Old 01-01-2014, 05:22 PM   #135
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
I think the only distinction in the way you are grouping shows is that some are about topics that interest you and some are about topics that do not interest you.
So you don't think there is a difference between Pawn Stars and Survivor?
Old 01-01-2014, 05:45 PM   #136
Zevida
witless and unarmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post
So you don't think there is a difference between Pawn Stars and Survivor?
Of course I do:

Quote:

What I was commenting on is that Adam is attempting to divide the non-compeition shows into "real" topics (Pawn Stars) and "not-real" topics (Housewives) and my assertion is the only difference between those is that he is interested in one and not the other. I think they are equally as scripted and fake.

- billypritchard
Old 01-01-2014, 07:02 PM   #137
Adam1115
20,000!!!

Quote:
No. While Pawn Stars might have some elements that are scripted, it's a real pawn shop and the show is about that pawn shop.

Big Brother is a show about nothing except trapping a bunch of people in a house to see what they do. Real Housewives is about a bunch of rich snobby bitches who like to talk **** about each other.

I'm setting a minimum expectation that reality shows I am interested in be about SOMETHING real. The other group is just about fake drama.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:26 PM   #138
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
But one is a competition, in which there are rules and one is not a competition.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:54 AM   #139
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:

Well said. And, like so many other conspiracy theories there's always going to be someone saying it's fixed, and some website will pick up on it.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:02 AM   #140
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
No. While Pawn Stars might have some elements that are scripted, it's a real pawn shop and the show is about that pawn shop.

Big Brother is a show about nothing except trapping a bunch of people in a house to see what they do. Real Housewives is about a bunch of rich snobby bitches who like to talk **** about each other.

I'm setting a minimum expectation that reality shows I am interested in be about SOMETHING real. The other group is just about fake drama.
If you want "real" you're better off watching documentaries instead of "reality" shows. I have totally different expectations of either. I don't watch any of those "story" reality shows, where there's supposed real people doing their real jobs, living in their real neighborhoods or whatever. Those just don't interest me. I don't find them interesting, I know that they are performing for the camera, and I couldn't care less about them. That's different than a competition show. Sure Big Brother and that ilk have a lot of the same elements that the "story" shows have, and the players are manipulated sometimes into confrontation, but there'a s rooting interest there, and a winner at the end. Do you root for a Pawn Star to sell something? Or a Real Housewife to be the biggest b**ch?
Old 01-02-2014, 08:55 AM   #141
waynomo
My One Time

And if you want documentaries Independent Lens on PBS is a great source.
Set up a season pass for it and just watch/record the ones you're interested in.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:23 AM   #142
Adam1115
20,000!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleboy View Post
But one is a competition, in which there are rules and one is not a competition.
Ok you're right. Big Brother is a competition to see who can put up with listening to Courtney Stodden talk the longest.

It's still trying to attract viewers who like to watch drama vs. a show about something. I get that most of them have some sort of fake drama to spice things up, making less of a distinction between the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
If you want "real" you're better off watching documentaries instead of "reality" shows. I have totally different expectations of either.
I do! My favorite channel is the Smithsonian channel. BTW, documentaries are scripted. Sometimes even exaggerated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
Do you root for a Pawn Star to sell something? Or a Real Housewife to be the biggest b**ch?
No I just like to watch cool old stuff and how much it sells for. I also like to watch cool classic cars doing burnouts. That's it.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:59 AM   #143
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post
And if you want documentaries Independent Lens on PBS is a great source.
Set up a season pass for it and just watch/record the ones you're interested in.
I love American Experience. Sometimes American Masters. More real than any reality show
Old 01-02-2014, 02:20 PM   #144
daveak
Series 3 Novice

Reality TV. Where the cameras are recording as many as 6-7 days a week and for usually most of the day - and you only see an hour or two of the recorded material they want you to see. So you will believe the story they want to tell - the storyline they believe will give them the best ratings. Cynical, a little. I am sure there are some directors and producers that want to tell the real story, but money (and ratings) are sure to be a corrupting influence. And money and ratings will keep you employed and the money flowing.

The true story? If it is a good one that means money and ratings... It would be fun to see a reality show during filming and production and then see it on TV, even if I had to sign a NDA. I really would love to see the process.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:29 AM   #145
Adam1115
20,000!!!

Sons of Anarchy-
The Wire-
Better of Ted- It's ok, not THAT funny...
Farscape- Woa. Weird. I might watch a couple more.
The Shield- But wife hates this show. I love it.
Sons of Anarchy-
Justified-
Fringe-
House of Cards on Netflix- We both love this!

I'm surprised nobody mentioned True Detective, but I didn't like it...

Old 03-25-2014, 12:04 PM   #146
waynomo
My One Time

I'm surprised there aren't more vote for Game of Thrones. I haven't watched an episode, but surprisingly my wife said she was interested so I started recording yesterday. They are running 3 episodes a night till I guess the runup to season 4.

I did see a couple of mentions of Orphan Black. My son recommended this to me. They just started rebroadcasting season 1 getting ready for season 2. I haven't seen any, but I'm actually pretty excited about watching this for some reason. Also my son has never led me wrong with a TV recommendation with the exception of Squidbillies.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:15 PM   #147
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

Quote:
Sons of Anarchy-
The Wire-
Better of Ted- It's ok, not THAT funny...
Farscape- Woa. Weird. I might watch a couple more.
The Shield- But wife hates this show. I love it.
Sons of Anarchy-
Justified-
Fringe-
House of Cards on Netflix- We both love this!

I guess you didn't like Sons twice!!!!

Oh, and your choices show a distinct lack of taste!
Old 03-25-2014, 01:20 PM   #148
markymark_ctown

Started watching season 1 "The Americans" a couple of weeks ago. We're hooked and now caught up in season 2. Great TV...
markymark_ctown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:22 PM   #149
Zevida
witless and unarmed

Quote:
Justified-
Curious how many episodes you gave each show before deciding on them. Justified definitely gets better, especially towards the end of season 1 and is dynamite in season 2. (But then I loved it from the start.)

Quote:
It hadn't started airing before the last post prior to this one.

- billypritchard
Old 03-26-2014, 07:04 AM   #150
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Curious how many episodes you gave each show before deciding on them. Justified definitely gets better, especially towards the end of season 1 and is dynamite in season 2. (But then I loved it from the start.)
What's the norm that you should give a show you don't like before giving up on it? I go no more than 5, and usually less. I gave Justified 3 before I decided it's not for me.

Quote:
It hadn't started airing before the last post prior to this one.
Then I'll add it:

True Detective

I would also change Fringe to a - but I think you have to like that sort of show going in.