TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 204 votes, 4.99 average.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:40 PM   #781
BobCamp1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jntc View Post
Yes, and to top it off, I even removed -everything- except the roamio, and still had v58 errors on many channels. It's random too. I can 're-tune' the channel and it will work (occasionally, it's hit or miss really)

This is my second roamio too, the first was having the same issues, and more. This is driving me nuts, and Tivo says it's a comcast problem with the firmware.
You've already tried another Tivo. Have you changed the CableCard too?

If you've tried both another Tivo and another CableCard (or two, or three) and still have problems, it's probably a Tivo bug. It doesn't sound like the typical behavior that was being discussed in this thread.
BobCamp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 01:57 PM   #782
jntc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCamp1 View Post
You've already tried another Tivo. Have you changed the CableCard too?

If you've tried both another Tivo and another CableCard (or two, or three) and still have problems, it's probably a Tivo bug. It doesn't sound like the typical behavior that was being discussed in this thread.
Yes, this is the second TIVO, and the third cablecard.

I'm trying to find out if others who have 'fixed' their issues with 4 or 5 tuner limits were able to watch channels on all six tuners as well, or not.
jntc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 03:05 PM   #783
pshivers
Retired!

It is the Firmware release you are on, end of story.

All current problem with 6 tuner TiVo's will go Away when the cable companies upgrade to Firmware release 153.1101....

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Charter CableCard Firmware Updated to PKEY_1.5.3_F.p.1101 All 6 tuners are now Active and Working!
Tivo Roamio
Tivo Mini (x3)

pshivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 03:13 PM   #784
jntc

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshivers View Post
It is the Firmware release you are on, end of story.

All current problem with 6 tuner TiVo's will go Away when the cable companies upgrade to Firmware release 153.1101....

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Thanks, that's what I wanted to confirm. Comcast claims this is coming Mid-Jan
Old 12-30-2013, 05:13 PM   #785
pshivers
Retired!

At least you got a commitment date from Comcast, Charter just shrugs their shoulders. .. :-(
Charter CableCard Firmware Updated to PKEY_1.5.3_F.p.1101 All 6 tuners are now Active and Working!
Tivo Roamio
Tivo Mini (x3)

pshivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:03 PM   #786
jntc

Quote:
At least you got a commitment date from Comcast, Charter just shrugs their shoulders. .. :-(
I won't be holding my breath.....
Old 12-31-2013, 12:35 AM   #787
HDRyder9

Quote:
Thanks, that's what I wanted to confirm. Comcast claims this is coming Mid-Jan
Comcast can push it sooner if you pester them. I suggest pestering since they seldom hit their timetables.
HDRyder9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 02:41 AM   #788
HarperVision

Quote:
It is the Firmware release you are on, end of story. All current problem with 6 tuner TiVo's will go Away when the cable companies upgrade to Firmware release 153.1101.... Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Then how do you explain why, with the exact same Cablecard and TA, that when I used them with the ceton InfiniTV6 pcie card, it would tune all 6 channels 100% reliably once they upgraded THEIR tuner firmware (not the Cablecard or TA's)?
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:24 AM   #789
HazelW

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
Then how do you explain why, with the exact same Cablecard and TA, that when I used them with the ceton InfiniTV6 pcie card, it would tune all 6 channels 100% reliably once they upgraded THEIR tuner firmware (not the Cablecard or TA's)?
I'm beginning to think this a tivo problem also. I have gone to 4 tuners and still get V58 errors. Same cablecard in an XL4 never had a problem in two years.
HazelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:13 AM   #790
jntc

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazelW View Post
I'm beginning to think this a tivo problem also. I have gone to 4 tuners and still get V58 errors. Same cablecard in an XL4 never had a problem in two years.
I'm pretty sure it's a TIVO issue now. I took the card and paired in my friends HTPC with a Ceton, and it's been working perfectly since yesterday on all six tuners as well, no tuning issues whatsoever.

I tried his card in my Roamio, and, boom, v58 errors.

The cards are the same except the date, his is 2009 and mine is a 2011 although the HW is the same (1.2F) with the same firmware 1.5.2_3001

Now the question is it a combination of the Roamios and the Mini's? Or is it simply the Roamio software.

I've reported this to TIVO, but they point the finger at Comcast.

I'm guessing it's really a combination of the Cablecard firmware and the Roamio software as it appears that newer CC firmware has been reported to work fine.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:21 AM   #791
jntc

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRyder9 View Post
Comcast can push it sooner if you pester them. I suggest pestering since they seldom hit their timetables.
Comcast tells me they can't push a firmware update to a single user. It's system wide pushes, and can't be done until they test and confirm with their systems in our area - this 'new' firmware requires they change a number of their 'head end equipment' and 'this takes time'

The Comcast service reps say that all of their cards in this area support six tuners. They also have an 8 tuner card, but it's only available for their X1 DVR's (PKM809 model I think)
Old 12-31-2013, 01:31 PM   #792
BobCamp1

Quote:
I'm pretty sure it's a TIVO issue now. I took the card and paired in my friends HTPC with a Ceton, and it's been working perfectly since yesterday on all six tuners as well, no tuning issues whatsoever.

I tried his card in my Roamio, and, boom, v58 errors.

The cards are the same except the date, his is 2009 and mine is a 2011 although the HW is the same (1.2F) with the same firmware 1.5.2_3001

Now the question is it a combination of the Roamios and the Mini's? Or is it simply the Roamio software.

I've reported this to TIVO, but they point the finger at Comcast.

I'm guessing it's really a combination of the Cablecard firmware and the Roamio software as it appears that newer CC firmware has been reported to work fine.
So this sounds like a similar but separate issue where reducing the number of tuners doesn't help. It sounds like an incompatibility between the Roamio and the Cablecard, which the Ceton doesn't have because it does things differently.

Most cable companies push all their Cablecard firmware at the same time, because the head end firmware usually needs to be updated simultaneously. You can try to get on a developmental list of some kind, but that's dependent on your local cable company's policies.

I think you'll have to live with it for now or return the Roamio. Tivo doesn't want to address it on their end, and the cable company is going to rollout that firmware cautiously.
BobCamp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:02 PM   #793
HDRyder9

Quote:
Comcast tells me they can't push a firmware update to a single user. It's system wide pushes, and can't be done until they test and confirm with their systems in our area - this 'new' firmware requires they change a number of their 'head end equipment' and 'this takes time'

The Comcast service reps say that all of their cards in this area support six tuners. They also have an 8 tuner card, but it's only available for their X1 DVR's (PKM809 model I think)
Comcast is lying. They pushed firmware to my cable card upon request. It was NOT a general upgrade since my other cable cards still have previous firmware.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:43 PM   #794
jntc

Well this blows

- comcast says no they can't deploy separately.
- the family won't live with the inability to tune to a channel (very frequently)

Who should I contact at Comcast other than their generic outsourced call center folks?
Old 12-31-2013, 06:29 PM   #795
HDRyder9

Quote:
Well this blows

- comcast says no they can't deploy separately.
- the family won't live with the inability to tune to a channel (very frequently)

Who should I contact at Comcast other than their generic outsourced call center folks?
Email Comcast at: We_Can_Help@cable.comcast.com Keep pestering them until they help you. Don't give up.

In the mean time, see post #40 in this thread and reduce the number of tuners until all your tuners are working. Good luck.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:57 PM   #796
DeltaOne
Mount Airy, MD

Quote:
Well this blows - comcast says no they can't deploy separately. - the family won't live with the inability to tune to a channel (very frequently) Who should I contact at Comcast other than their generic outsourced call center folks?
You may get help on the Comcast Xfinity support forum -- there are a few Comcast reps that answer questions and help users. I think I'd try the second forum, Xfinity TV, then the TV and Equipment section.

http://forums.comcast.com
DeltaOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:28 PM   #797
jntc

Quote:
Email Comcast at: We_Can_Help@cable.comcast.com Keep pestering them until they help you. Don't give up.

In the mean time, see post #40 in this thread and reduce the number of tuners until all your tuners are working. Good luck.
Reducing the tuners has not helped. [ I am able to tune/record on all six ] Even with three, four, or five tuners active, still getting the v58's

Thanks though! I just fired off an e-mail to that address.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:12 PM   #798
HDRyder9

Quote:
Reducing the tuners has not helped. [ I am able to tune/record on all six ] Even with three, four, or five tuners active, still getting the v58's

Thanks though! I just fired off an e-mail to that address.
If you can tune six tuners when less the six tuners are active I'd suggest something else is amiss. Did you reboot after entering the reduced tuner code?
Old 12-31-2013, 09:20 PM   #799
PaperFriend

Question Need Advice!!

I just purchased a Roamio Pro and started to get V58 errors. After reading on this forum I figured out that I am only getting 5 tuners. I disabled 1 tuner and I have not run into another V58 yet.

I have Comcast service in Houston with a Cisco 800 card with OS pkwy 1.5.2_F.p.3001

I called TiVo today and they told me to get a different cable card.

What are your thoughts and how do I fix this?
PaperFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:40 PM   #800
jntc

Quote:
If you can tune six tuners when less the six tuners are active I'd suggest something else is amiss. Did you reboot after entering the reduced tuner code?
I meant that when 6-tuners are active, I can tune separate channels on each. This indicates that the 6-tuners are available.

When I decrease the number of available tuners, (and reboot), I still get v58 errors. It doesn't matter if I reduce them to three, four, or five.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:28 PM   #801
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Quote:

I was having problems getting my cable package upgraded after multiple tries with the Comcast overseas CSRs and emailed Comcastcares_support@comcast.com last Thursday with a description of my problem and the name, phone #, and address on my account. I got a call from a local Comcast rep the following day and he set me up with a good deal on a TV/HSI promo package good for the next 12 months.

Of course, I tried calling the 877 cable card number today to move the cable card from my TiVo HD to my new Roamio and gave up after being on hold for an hour.
"You know, ground beef is a real winner nowadays" -- Faster Guy
sbourgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 03:04 PM   #802
PaperFriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperFriend View Post
I just purchased a Roamio Pro and started to get V58 errors. After reading on this forum I figured out that I am only getting 5 tuners. I disabled 1 tuner and I have not run into another V58 yet.

I have Comcast service in Houston with a Cisco 800 card with OS pkwy 1.5.2_F.p.3001

I called TiVo today and they told me to get a different cable card.

What are your thoughts and how do I fix this?
I just exchanged my 800 cable card for the 801 and it has the same OS. Got it paired and I am once again getting V58 errors on one of the tuners. Any advice? Only time I don't have that error is if I disable one of the tuners.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:18 PM   #803
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperFriend View Post
I just exchanged my 800 cable card for the 801 and it has the same OS. Got it paired and I am once again getting V58 errors on one of the tuners. Any advice? Only time I don't have that error is if I disable one of the tuners.
Your case is pretty well documented. 1.5.2_F.p.3001 is usually only reliable for 5 tuners. Until Comcast upgrades the CableCard firmware in your geographic region, limiting your Pro to 5 tuners is you best bet for a V58-free experience.

Some have been able to work themselves high-enough in the Comcast hierarchy, or manage to get in touch with local top-level technicians who were willing to upgrade the firmware for that individual user. This is a big YMMV situation.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 03:19 PM   #804
PaperFriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
Your case is pretty well documented. 1.5.2_F.p.3001 is usually only reliable for 5 tuners. Until Comcast upgrades the CableCard firmware in your geographic region, limiting your Pro to 5 tuners is you best bet for a V58-free experience.

Some have been able to work themselves high-enough in the Comcast hierarchy, or manage to get in touch with local top-level technicians who were willing to upgrade the firmware for that individual user. This is a big YMMV situation.
What is the new version name so I can ask for it?
Old 01-02-2014, 03:27 PM   #805
KevinG

Quote:
Your case is pretty well documented. 1.5.2_F.p.3001 is usually only reliable for 5 tuners.
"usually"

Is there any consensus on how often, or where geographically, it turns out that this firmware works %100?

I only ask because I have that firmware on Comcast in the Philly suburbs, and I've been on 6 tuners without a single error for about a month now. [I've probably caused a million problems for myself by just mentioning that. :-) ]
KevinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 04:02 PM   #806
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinG View Post
"usually"

Is there any consensus on how often, or where geographically, it turns out that this firmware works %100?

I only ask because I have that firmware on Comcast in the Philly suburbs, and I've been on 6 tuners without a single error for about a month now. [I've probably caused a million problems for myself by just mentioning that. :-) ]
Not that I'm aware of. If you look back far enough in this thread, you'll find a post by TivoMargret discussing the various past firmware builds and what you can expect. Initially, it was thought that PKEY 1.5.2_F.2801 or higher was enough for 6 tuners. However, through reviewing logs of customers with problems, PKEY 1.5.2_F.2801 and PKEY 1.5.2_F.3001 could still be found to cause issues with getting all 6 tuners.

The best bet is PKEY 1.5.3_F.1101, the most current firmware with a build date in June 2013. There was also one other build, PKEY 1.5.3_F.0601 that works in all but a few very rare instances, IIRC.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 04:05 PM   #807
HazelW

Quote:

I got V58 with 5 tuners, although it worked for a few weeks. I'm now on 4 tuners
HazelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:52 PM   #808
jntc

I've got till tomorrow to return/cancel my tivo's. I'm going to be doing so, as I can't take the errors anymore. I've set my roamio down to three tuners and am still getting v58 errors. I've swapped cards, swapped tivo's, swapped mini's and bought a bunch of other stuff, new HDMI cables, splitters, terminators, a POE, barrel connectors, and still am being plagued.

My neighbor has a Ceton HTPC and has -my- cablecard in it (I have his at the moment) and I am getting v58's on his. He is tuned in to all six tuners on mine, and has had zero errors for the last two days, while I've had a large number of v58's on his card in my Tivo.

Yesterday, I started getting v52 and v53 errors as well, according to Tivo, all my signals are good to go. Now they tell me to put in another splitter between the tivo and wall.

These, among other problems (mini's dropping audio and video sporadically) have put a very sour taste in my mouth and my family is just plain fed up.

I really did want this to work, but I guess I'm just not that lucky.

Good luck to all of you!
Old 01-02-2014, 07:21 PM   #809
jntc

Just had another 'chat' with Tivo support.

His solution to the v58 'temporary errors' to 'power cycle the roamio and mini's' did not help

Oh, and he -as with all the others I've spoken to - have not heard of these issues or the cablecard firmware issue. I guess TivoMagret doesn't share with them?

This was the first this tech ever heard of a 'v58' error.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:41 PM   #810
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Just had another 'chat' with Tivo support.

His solution to the v58 'temporary errors' to 'power cycle the roamio and mini's' did not help

Oh, and he -as with all the others I've spoken to - have not heard of these issues or the cablecard firmware issue. I guess TivoMagret doesn't share with them?

This was the first this tech ever heard of a 'v58' error.
TiVo's outsourced support center is a separate entity contracted to provide support. As we have all either observed, or read about, TiVoMargret appears to be a true TiVo employee of the real TiVo company, privy to many things that apparently the call center is not made privy to.

She often actively admits there are problems, while the call center is telling everybody that there is no known problem with an issue.

Example: The recent TiVo service outages that the CSRs denied any knowledge of, while TiVoMargret was tweeting and posting it was a known issue, on their end, and it was being worked-on. The CSRs just kept on denying anything was wrong (and blaming the customer and/or customer equipment, such as routers and switches).

TiVo needs to get their "support" provider "in the loop". At minimum, they should all be required to have, and use, the product. It is clear to me that many of the CSRs know nothing about the product they are supporting, beyond what their scripted "system" tells them what to ask, and what to say.

TiVo makes themselves look bad, when the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. While TiVoMargret has been a godsend for many of us, she's also exposed that the call center is only repeating canned answers that they are given, and often these canned answers are far from reality, or are woefully unhelpful.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote