TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-31-2013, 12:27 PM   #1
kirk1701

Gateway not found

Hey all, kind of continued:
Code:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=512541
The above was mainly "weak signal" and I got that fixed; averaging a 85% signal strength now since I named the 5GHz SSID different then the 2.4GHz SSID.

Started last night, TiVo rebooted itself and couldn't get it back connected, rebooted router and Tivo didn't do any good so I was able to connect to the 5GHz band with a 40% signal so left it there till today.

Anyone know there are two network adapters in the roamio?
1 for the 5GHz and one for the 2.4GHz
I found this out because there are two different MAC addresses for each.

Spent some time today trying to get it back reconnected to the 2.4GHz signal and going through the network setup I keep getting N02 error No gateway

So, I tried assigning a static IP address, and adding the Tivo to the router to connect to that IP, no go, still can't find gateway when I try to connect to the Tivo service but the network page shows it connected to my router and 80% signal strength but can't find gateway??

Finally removed the static IP from the router and Tivo, rebooted both and got it connected back again and downloaded from the TiVo service but don't know for how long.

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance
kirk1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 02:49 PM   #2
Time_Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk1701 View Post
Hey all, kind of continued:

Anyone know there are two network adapters in the roamio?
1 for the 5GHz and one for the 2.4GHz
I found this out because there are two different MAC addresses for each.

Spent some time today trying to get it back reconnected to the 2.4GHz signal and going through the network setup I keep getting N02 error No gateway

First the TiVo Roamio has two MAC addresses not for the wireless adapter but rather one for the TiVo and one for the built in Stream (Numerically the lower MAC address is the TiVo)

Can help you with your signal strength but with network addressing I can probably help you out. You probably assigned a static address in the 192.168.1.x range and specified a network mask of 255.255.255.0, what did you assign as your default gateway? This will be the IP address of your router, in most environments this is commonly set to be the first address in the network, eg 192.168.1.1, without listing the gateway address you won't be able to get very far.

-TL
Time_Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 04:14 PM   #3
kirk1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time_Lord View Post
First the TiVo Roamio has two MAC addresses not for the wireless adapter but rather one for the TiVo and one for the built in Stream (Numerically the lower MAC address is the TiVo)

Can help you with your signal strength but with network addressing I can probably help you out. You probably assigned a static address in the 192.168.1.x range and specified a network mask of 255.255.255.0, what did you assign as your default gateway? This will be the IP address of your router, in most environments this is commonly set to be the first address in the network, eg 192.168.1.1, without listing the gateway address you won't be able to get very far.

-TL
Thanks Time_Lord
Yes, 192.168.1.1 as the gateway and it also asked for subnet mask 255.0 which was correct.

DNS I pointed to the router.

Might add I'm Microsoft Certified, been a while but the knowledge is still there and comes in handy
Old 12-31-2013, 06:13 PM   #4
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

I had the DNS and gateway servers set to my router's IP on my Series 3, but found it already set in my Roamio's wireless settings.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:56 PM   #5
kirk1701

Already disconnected by this evening

Don't understand what happened, was going great for a week then the TiVo rebooted last night and all hell broke lose

I had to connect to the 5GHz again tonight, goes through the network set up and connects with no issues on it but on the 2.4GHz it says gateway not found.

Think I'll try changing the channel on the 2.4 tomorrow
Old 01-01-2014, 01:22 PM   #6
snoopdogg1

I've had similar problems. Can't get the Roamio to connect to wifi any longer. Probably will return it. Never had so many connection problems with prior tivo devices
HDXL
Series 2 (dead)
snoopdogg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 02:56 PM   #7
kirk1701

Ok good news

I changed the channel on the 2.4GHz to #11 and for the first time when I went through the wireless set up I went all the way through with no error messages and got the "Tivo will start using the new settings" message.

Connected to the Tivo service with no errors afterwards.

Now, give it a couple a days lets see what happens.
Old 01-01-2014, 03:58 PM   #8
kirk1701

10 minutes later and the famous C130 error
No Internet connection

Run through the network setup again and I'm back to the error message during setup saying

"DHCP Client ID
Do you need to use DHCP client ID on your network? Some ISP's require this"

Select no and it thinks about in a minute then get this is a problem with your router N02
Old 01-01-2014, 09:49 PM   #9
snoopdogg1

Quote:
10 minutes later and the famous C130 error
No Internet connection

Run through the network setup again and I'm back to the error message during setup saying

"DHCP Client ID
Do you need to use DHCP client ID on your network? Some ISP's require this"

Select no and it thinks about in a minute then get this is a problem with your router N02
EXACT same problem in my Roamio Pro. I plan to call support tomorrow for a replacement.
HDXL
Series 2 (dead)
Old 01-01-2014, 10:09 PM   #10
kirk1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopdogg1 View Post
EXACT same problem in my Roamio Pro. I plan to call support tomorrow for a replacement.
Mine is getting fun now
If you see the end of the thread I posted the link to in my first post to this thread above, we'll I was having a weak signal. Ok, thought it was due to my new router so I put my 10 year old Linksys back on the network.

Long story short I couldn't get more then 20% signal strength on the 5GHz side. Now, since the Tivo rebooted itself the other night which looking back must have been due to some service update and was when the problem started and DHCP client error with N02 errors on the 2.4GHz side.

Now, I'm getting a 50% signal strength on the 5GHz side but at least its connecting

I'd much rather be connected to the 2.4GHz side with a 85% signal strength though.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:11 AM   #11
jcthorne

The sooner you give up on a wifi connection for the TiVo and go to a wired Ethernet connection or moca, the sooner you will quit fighting network issues on your TiVo. Put up with the headaches as long as you want and then do it right. Network issues mostly go away once hard wired and using a router the Tivo gets along with. (Never could get an Asus router to work but my current Linksys and previous netgear work fine.)

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:22 AM   #12
kirk1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
The sooner you give up on a wifi connection for the TiVo and go to a wired Ethernet connection or moca, the sooner you will quit fighting network issues on your TiVo. Put up with the headaches as long as you want and then do it right. Network issues mostly go away once hard wired and using a router the Tivo gets along with. (Never could get an Asus router to work but my current Linksys and previous netgear work fine.)
I'm not ready to give up
Right now I'm thinking it's Tivo software and just a matter of time.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:18 AM   #13
snoopdogg1

From what I understand, to get MoCa, you need a wired connection near the TV/Roamio. My internet cable modem is upstairs, and my TV/Roamio is downstairs, no Ethernet or MoCa is not an option for me. I don't want to go through the hassle and cost of having the cable co install an internet connection near my TV.
HDXL
Series 2 (dead)
Old 01-02-2014, 08:22 AM   #14
kirk1701

Quote:
From what I understand, to get MoCa, you need a wired connection near the TV/Roamio. My internet cable modem is upstairs, and my TV/Roamio is downstairs, no Ethernet or MoCa is not an option for me. I don't want to go through the hassle and cost of having the cable co install an internet connection near my TV.
I think it goes right on your TV cable
You have to have a TV cable to connect the Tivo to in order to get Cable TV

But your right
Why go through paying more for a MoCa when you got what you need it just needs to work like it is designed.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:27 AM   #15
tatergator1

Quote:
There is no difference between "an internet connection" and the coax outlet your Roamio is currently connected to for cable TV. With your current setup, you could get MoCA to the Roamio with a single MoCA ethernet adapter upstairs at your cable modem. There are other configurations too, but for ~$50, you'd solve your problem. You might also consider asking Tivo to send you a free MoCA adapter in lieu of a new box.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:34 AM   #16
kirk1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
There is no difference between "an internet connection" and the coax outlet your Roamio is currently connected to for cable TV. With your current setup, you could get MoCA to the Roamio with a single MoCA ethernet adapter upstairs at your cable modem. There are other configurations too, but for ~$50, you'd solve your problem. You might also consider asking Tivo to send you a free MoCA adapter in lieu of a new box.
Free MoCa is a dam good idea

But I thought the MoCa connects to the Coax cable, not the cable modem?
Old 01-02-2014, 09:11 AM   #17
tatergator1

Quote:
Free MoCa is a dam good idea

But I thought the MoCa connects to the Coax cable, not the cable modem?
The MoCA adapter would be installed in-line to the cable modem.
Coax outlet -> coax to "In" port on MoCA adapter -> coax from "out" port on MoCA adapter -> cable modem. You'd then run an Ethernet cable from the port on the MoCA adapter to an open port on your router. That's it. The Roamio will connect via the coax connection it already has for cable TV.

More detailed info here: Tivo MoCA Help

You'll also want a POE filter for where your cable service enters your home, which Tivo also sells (or thrown in with adapter if you can work that angle).
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:04 AM   #18
kirk1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
The MoCA adapter would be installed in-line to the cable modem.
Coax outlet -> coax to "In" port on MoCA adapter -> coax from "out" port on MoCA adapter -> cable modem. You'd then run an Ethernet cable from the port on the MoCA adapter to an open port on your router. That's it. The Roamio will connect via the coax connection it already has for cable TV.

More detailed info here: Tivo MoCA Help

You'll also want a POE filter for where your cable service enters your home, which Tivo also sells (or thrown in with adapter if you can work that angle).
Sounds like a bigger hassle then the way it is now.

Anyways, this was before the reboot; just found this pic. 90% signal and was staying connected, no issues. After that reboot was when crap hit the fan so Tivo had some update that required a reboot I just happen to be watching the evening news when it decided to reboot otherwise I wouldn't have known.

Old 01-03-2014, 07:25 PM   #19
snoopdogg1

Weird thing-- I got home from work today, and my Roamio Pro was able to connect! Weird. I guess I'll see how it goes from here on...

Another weird thing is the RF remote occasionally has long pauses between when I press the button and when the TiVo responds. I can see the TiVo turn orange on the machine, so it received the signal, but it takes from seconds to minutes to respond sometimes! Other times, it works right away.
HDXL
Series 2 (dead)
Old 01-04-2014, 08:44 AM   #20
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Weird thing-- I got home from work today, and my Roamio Pro was able to connect! Weird. I guess I'll see how it goes from here on...

Another weird thing is the RF remote occasionally has long pauses between when I press the button and when the TiVo responds. I can see the TiVo turn orange on the machine, so it received the signal, but it takes from seconds to minutes to respond sometimes! Other times, it works right away.
Is it possible that you have some major source of interference nearby? If so, that could cause both your wireless and RF remote problems.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:49 AM   #21
kirk1701

Quote:

My Premiere XL was that way, I hated it.
Haven't experienced that with the roamio and heck, 50% signal now on the 5GHz and staying connected three days now. I'm ok with that
Old 01-04-2014, 01:12 PM   #22
snoopdogg1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
Is it possible that you have some major source of interference nearby? If so, that could cause both your wireless and RF remote problems.
I don't think so. All of my other wireless devices have always connected just fine. It is really nice that Roamio is connecting now, though! I was THIS close to returning it.
HDXL
Series 2 (dead)
Old 01-04-2014, 07:18 PM   #23
c133roamioerrors

I get communication errors on my roamio pro. Signal strength was in the thirties.
I put an extender on my router and connected my roamio to it. I've been getting a signal strength from the 40s to 60s. My PC shows the same signal strength for the old and the extender. Shouldn't have made any difference. One option with the extender is to connect it directly to the Ethernet connection instead of wireless. I need to buy an Ethernet cable and an extension cord to try that. I also ordered a Tivo wireless N adaptor which is also suppose to plug into the Ethernet on the roamio. Pretty soon I'll have four different ways to connect. Maybe one of them will be stable. I had none of these issues with my xl4.
c133roamioerrors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:05 PM   #24
kirk1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by c133roamioerrors View Post
I get communication errors on my roamio pro. Signal strength was in the thirties.
I put an extender on my router and connected my roamio to it. I've been getting a signal strength from the 40s to 60s. My PC shows the same signal strength for the old and the extender. Shouldn't have made any difference. One option with the extender is to connect it directly to the Ethernet connection instead of wireless. I need to buy an Ethernet cable and an extension cord to try that. I also ordered a Tivo wireless N adaptor which is also suppose to plug into the Ethernet on the roamio. Pretty soon I'll have four different ways to connect. Maybe one of them will be stable. I had none of these issues with my xl4.
I've about narrowed it down here and here I go again, 3 days and like clockwork disconnected and getting a 169.x.x.x IP which is a Windows default un routable IP address.

Got to thinking about this a second and hmmm 3 days?

DHCP renews and releases every 72 hours
Code:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_Host_Configuration_Protocol
Quote:
dynamic allocation: A network administrator assigns a range of IP addresses to DHCP, and each client computer on the LAN is configured to request an IP address from the DHCP server during network initialization. The request-and-grant process uses a lease concept with a controllable time period, allowing the DHCP server to reclaim (and then reallocate) IP addresses that are not renewed.
What I think is going on is the Tivo don't want to give up the IP address once it's got ahold of it
Old 01-05-2014, 01:47 AM   #25
DocNo

Arrow

Quote:
Sounds like a bigger hassle then the way it is now.
Not at all. Wireless for streaming video really is a bad idea - moca is better than nothing and well worth getting the adapter and taking 5 minutes to install it behind your cable modem.
Tivo HD - On the way out the door
DocNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:48 AM   #26
DocNo

Arrow

Quote:
IWhat I think is going on is the Tivo don't want to give up the IP address once it's got ahold of it
Just enter a reservation for your Tivo in your DHCP servers configuration. Be sure to get the MAC address for the Tivo and the Stream - I think I saw both of them listed in the system information screens somewhere...
Old 01-05-2014, 07:58 AM   #27
kirk1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo View Post
Just enter a reservation for your Tivo in your DHCP servers configuration. Be sure to get the MAC address for the Tivo and the Stream - I think I saw both of them listed in the system information screens somewhere...
I might reset the router to defaults today, reset it up and go from there.

Still getting the "Gateway not found" this morning even though it shows its connected and a 75% signal

How can you be connected to SSID and "Gateway not found"

Might call support to.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:01 AM   #28
kirk1701

Ok, back connected again
Run a CAT5 and got the SOB connected and downloaded programming then tried connecting wirelessly again. Three errors all in three different attempts with a 75% signal strength

Service not found
Gateway not found
No DHCP

Finally found the 5GHz SSID and was able to connect to it so added that to the router's static route

We'll see
Next I'm calling support with all the TS I've done, this is on their end and should get a free MOCA
Old 01-06-2014, 12:21 PM   #29
kirk1701

So far so good
No lost connection but I'll give it 3 days that's when I'm losing the connection 3 days apart.

One more thing
Moved the router yesterday so it's not near the cordless phone just in case
But if the connection was being lost because of the phone I'd also be losing it on my laptop so.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:16 AM   #30
DocNo

Arrow

Quote:
Ok, back connected again
Run a CAT5 and got the SOB connected and downloaded programming then tried connecting wirelessly again. Three errors all in three different attempts with a 75% signal strength
Just because you get a strong signal, it doesn't mean it's a useful signal. On the Mac I like to use NetSpotApp to do a wifi site survey - look to see who is in my area, what bands they are using. There are free wifi survey tools for Windows too, I can dig up a couple if you need them. You may need to change channels depending on what's going on in your environment and using one of the free tools and 10 minutes of your time to run and look at it is the fastest way to resolve what might be your fundamental issue.

Quote:
Next I'm calling support with all the TS I've done, this is on their end and should get a free MOCA
Good luck with that. Since wifi is highly dependent on conditions in your physical location, I fail to see how it's Tivo's problem in the slightest nor why you think you should get anything for free. Wired is always better - I understand the pressure on Tivo to include it in their devices, but I really wish they would have the balls to tell people it's really a piss poor choice for video in particular.