TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
View Poll Results: What should Redbeard25 do?
Upgrade to the Roamio 6 23.08%
Upgrade to the Roamio Plus 18 69.23%
Keep the Premiere XL 2 7.69%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump

Old 12-30-2013, 12:41 PM   #1
redbeard25

Arrow Dear Tivo Abby: please help me decide - Roamio or Roamio Plus

My situation:
  • Comcast subscriber
  • Not all that thrilled with what I'm paying for... might consider cord cutting at some point in the future
  • Premiere XL w/1 TB expander and lifetime
  • Spare 3TB hard drive sitting around
  • Two TVs connected to the Premiere XL, one in one room on Component and one in the other room on HDMI
  • IR remote in the same room as the Premiere, Original Tivo Slide in the next room
  • Have Tivo stream
  • Have two Tivo lifetime minis
  • Have HDCP compliant HDMI splitter if I need to use it.

If I were to upgrade to the Roamio, I would get the flexibility of OTA and save $150.

If I were to upgrade to the Plus, I would get two more tuners and the remote finder.

With both, I would get new fonts.

I think with all my other toys, it would be a wash.

Questions:
  1. Do I need to upgrade at all? Someone talk me in or out of it.
  2. Are there any other advantages to either box I'm missing?

Thanks!

Former:
Premiere Elite LT + 1TB exp
TivoHD (upg to 1TB) LT
Stock TivoHD M2M
S2ST LT
S2DT 200GB
S2ST 200GB
Philips S1 (original 14hr version)
redbeard25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 01:24 PM   #2
jrtroo
User

Seems like the forecast of how you may look to eventually cut the cord is a necessary piece of the puzzle. I would research how that works and how it would work for your family before deciding to upgrade.

You have been without the use of a OTA unit for a while, considering you have an Elite, so I would guess that the OTA possibility is minimal in the short run and that you would especially appreciate the speed of the Roamio. My understanding is that it is even faster than the mini...
Old 12-30-2013, 01:31 PM   #3
dtivouser
Tivoless

TC CLUB MEMBER
On the other hand, it sounds to me like you'll enjoy the additional storage and tuners of the Plus more than the ability to maybe cut the cord in the future.
dtivouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 01:44 PM   #4
redbeard25

Thumbs up

Hence the complexity of my decision... the storage isn't an issue - the 3TB drive is ready to drop in to either box.

Former:
TivoHD (upg to 1TB) LT
Stock TivoHD M2M
S2ST LT
S2DT 200GB
S2ST 200GB
Old 12-30-2013, 01:53 PM   #5
StevesWeb
Grumpy Old Geek

Buy the basic Roamio (I bought two) because this will embolden you to cast off Comcast and save big $$. The Netflix experience is good, the DVR performance without CableCARD or TA is virtually perfect, and 4 tuners OTA actually does work out very well.

If you might have both Minis online at the same time maybe buy two Roamio?

It's verra nice.
StevesWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:43 PM   #6
tamathat

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevesWeb View Post
Buy the basic Roamio (I bought two) because this will embolden you to cast off Comcast and save big $$. The Netflix experience is good, the DVR performance without CableCARD or TA is virtually perfect, and 4 tuners OTA actually does work out very well.

If you might have both Minis online at the same time maybe buy two Roamio?

It's verra nice.
I second Steve.. start with one ota roamio basic with your 3tb drop in.. if you find you need more tuners get a second roamio basic with stock memory just to drive the minis. It will still be cheaper in the longrun than cable and/or pro given that you already have the 3tb sitting around.
tamathat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:53 PM   #7
redbeard25

Thumbs up You sold me.

I'm in for a basic from Amazon Warehouse Deals for ~$140

Thanks!

Former:
TivoHD (upg to 1TB) LT
Stock TivoHD M2M
S2ST LT
S2DT 200GB
S2ST 200GB
Old 12-30-2013, 05:29 PM   #8
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbeard25 View Post
Premiere XL w/1 TB expander and lifetime
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
You have been without the use of a OTA unit for a while, considering you have an Elite, so I would guess that the OTA possibility is minimal in the short run and that you would especially appreciate the speed of the Roamio. My understanding is that it is even faster than the mini...
You are confusing between the Premiere 4XL/Elite (4 tuner) vs. the Premiere XL (2 tuner) which he has noted in his post.

Redbeard25, if you were to choose either the Roamio Plus, or Pro, you would not be able to use OTA, because they are digital cable only, with 6 tuners. Only the 4 tuner Roamio will work with OTA.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:00 PM   #9
dtivouser
Tivoless

TC CLUB MEMBER
I'm not convinced it's really "cutting the cord" when you are still paying a monthly fee to Tivo. But I do hope you enjoy the box!
dtivouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:53 AM   #10
jcthorne

No one said anything about TiVo monthly subscription. That is a money loosing proposition long term. Just figure the lifetime sub as part of the initial investment and move on. Its been discussed at length. If you are going to use TiVo long term, monthly is not cost effective. Break even for most tivos is only about 1 year.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 02:25 PM   #11
snoopdogg1

Actually, break even is about 2 1/2 years ($399 lifetime divided by $12.99/month= just over 30 months. )Still worth it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
No one said anything about TiVo monthly subscription. That is a money loosing proposition long term. Just figure the lifetime sub as part of the initial investment and move on. Its been discussed at length. If you are going to use TiVo long term, monthly is not cost effective. Break even for most tivos is only about 1 year.

HDXL
Series 2 (dead)
snoopdogg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 03:06 PM   #12
Tivogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopdogg1 View Post
Actually, break even is about 2 1/2 years ($399 lifetime divided by $12.99/month= just over 30 months. )Still worth it though.
Even this math is flawed. It doesn't account for the huge boost in resale value for the lifetime Tivo when you next upgrade. You can recoup almost ALL of the cost of the lifetime service when you sell the old Tivo.
Samsung 72", 56", 4 x 32" HDTV
Sony 40" HDTV
iRule + iTach Remotes
Tivogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:50 PM   #13
snoopdogg1

Really?! This would be great if true, but I think I read lifetime service is not transferable.
HDXL
Series 2 (dead)
snoopdogg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 11:05 PM   #14
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Really?! This would be great if true, but I think I read lifetime service is not transferable.
It is only transferable from owner to another owner, it is not transferable from Tivo box to another Tivo.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:31 AM   #15
leiff

I see you have a stream so that's another reason you don't need the more expensive Romeos.
however one drawback of basic Romeo is no component video. even the break away cable is for composite video only, so if you mirror multiple tvs you'll have to do it with HDMI splitter/switches.
I like my basic Romeo. its small form factor appeals to me. it fits better on my desk. the internal was loud for me so I permanently removed the top lid and disabled the fan. even with no fan the tivo runs cooler since the top lid is off. With lid on it was always hot to the touch.
leiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:27 AM   #16
vurbano

Quote:
its not. You sell the box and lifetime together. I sold 3 2 tuner tivo premieres with lifetime on ebay for around $1300 bucks. I bought Romaio plus (did a 3tb upgrade), lifetime + 2 minis with lifetime for around $1500 bucks
Old 01-02-2014, 07:58 AM   #17
jcthorne

Quote:
Every time this comes up someone says this and it simply is not true. The break even point calculation has to include the residual value of the unit. Approx 250 more for the lifetime unit than a unit without. Net cost for the LT sub is only about 150. just over a year break even point assuming buying the hardware with sub new.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote