TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-31-2013, 09:23 PM   #1
David D

Question New Roamio on the way! Can I transfer existing Premiere recordings to new Roamio?

Like the title says, I've got a new Roamio Plus on the way. The Roamio will be replacing an existing Premiere that has a number of shows that I'd like to transfer to the Roamio when it arrives. Can I do that? If so, how?
David D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:16 AM   #2
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

1. Setup new tivo, copy shows from old tivo to new tivo by choosing shows you want to copy and picking 'transfer this recording'. Use tivo website to copy season passes *(if working and you can deal with the speed of the site) Or manually re-setup

2. Use tivo desktop to copy shows off of old tivo to computer, then back onto new tivo. Use tivo website to copy season passes* or manually re-set up.

3. Use kttmg to copy shows and season passes. See many threads about using kttmg....
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:18 AM   #3
laria
Librocubicularist

It can take a long time, depending on how many shows you are doing, but just leave your old TiVo on the network and once your new Roamio is all set up and properly activated and stuff, you should be able to see the old TiVo at the bottom of the My Shows list. Navigate into it, and select the shows you want to transfer, and select Transfer Recording. You can queue them up, too... you don't have to wait until the first one is done.

It's very tedious to select all of them if you have a lot of shows, but it works fine. I just transferred 151 shows off of two S3's over the course of about 3 days.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:07 AM   #4
ADG
Allan

Transfers between Premiers and Roamios are VERY fast.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:09 AM   #5
gweempose

You should be fine, unless you happen to have Time Warner Cable. They've been known to set the CCI flag on all the channels to "Copy Once". If this is the case, you will not be able to move any shows from one box to the other.
(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:35 AM   #6
David D

Thanks for all the replies! Does my Premiere still need to subscribe to TiVo in order to make the transfers? The new Roamio is replacing the Premiere, so I will be transferring service from the Premiere.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:51 AM   #7
David Platt
Have an A-1 Day!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by David D View Post
Thanks for all the replies! Does my Premiere still need to subscribe to TiVo in order to make the transfers? The new Roamio is replacing the Premiere, so I will be transferring service from the Premiere.
Yes it does. Both boxes need to have a subscription to make transfers.
David Platt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 01:27 PM   #8
snoopdogg1

Found this out the hard way. Can't transfer 98% of my shows .
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post
You should be fine, unless you happen to have Time Warner Cable. They've been known to set the CCI flag on all the channels to "Copy Once". If this is the case, you will not be able to move any shows from one box to the other.

HDXL
Series 2 (dead)
snoopdogg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 01:38 PM   #9
laria
Librocubicularist

Wow, that stinks.

I guess Comcast doesn't set that bit. Quite a few of the shows that I transferred from our S3's had already been transferred from one S3 to the other over the course of the fall season, since one of them had a 1 TB hard drive while the other only had 500 GB.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:08 PM   #10
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
Wow, that stinks.

I guess Comcast doesn't set that bit. Quite a few of the shows that I transferred from our S3's had already been transferred from one S3 to the other over the course of the fall season, since one of them had a 1 TB hard drive while the other only had 500 GB.
Comcast only uses that bit for HBO etc, and most of that stuff I can get using OD, or wish list, or the program is being repeated with the next two weeks. I just upgraded my wife TiVo (TP) to the Roamio + and moved a large amount of recordings, but it only took overnight as the speed is over 70Mb/s

Old 01-01-2014, 07:43 PM   #11
David D

Thanks again for the replies. Guess I'll keep the subscription on both until I can transfer everything. I'm on FIOS so hopefully I won't have any problems.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:02 PM   #12
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
I'm on FIOS so hopefully I won't have any problems.
I am pretty sure that it just goes directly to the device over your internal network. But both of your TiVos need to have made recent contact with the TiVo servers so that you are authorized to transfer to/from them.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:58 PM   #13
RusRus

Quote:
I am pretty sure that it just goes directly to the device over your internal network. But both of your TiVos need to have made recent contact with the TiVo servers so that you are authorized to transfer to/from them.
You must have learned what a Librocubicularist was while you were reading in bed. LOL

RusRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:52 AM   #14
bfwk122

Transfers

Quote:
Thanks again for the replies. Guess I'll keep the subscription on both until I can transfer everything. I'm on FIOS so hopefully I won't have any problems.
I just purchases the Roamio Pro and I also have the Tivo HDXL which I was able to transfer all the programs I wanted from one to another.. The only issue I had was with getting HBO and Cinemax with the cable card activation with Verizon Fios..The activation was great except I had to call to get those channels activated..Good luck..Bob..
Play Station 3
Play Station 4
bfwk122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:12 AM   #15
gweempose

Quote:

I'm on FIOS so hopefully I won't have any problems.
The nice thing about FIOS is that you should be able to freely transfer all your shows, even the ones recorded on the premium channels.
(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:15 AM   #16
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post
The nice thing about FIOS is that you should be able to freely transfer all your shows, even the ones recorded on the premium channels.
Oh, woops, for some reason despite the previous discussion about the content flag, I read the original send as hopefully he wouldn't have trouble transferring things due to the network speed.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:28 PM   #17
bfwk122

speed

Quote:
Oh, woops, for some reason despite the previous discussion about the content flag, I read the original send as hopefully he wouldn't have trouble transferring things due to the network speed.
Speed wasn't an issue at all, and I didn't have any problems transferring any of the programs that were recorded on the premium channels...Bob..
Play Station 3
Play Station 4
bfwk122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 04:45 PM   #18
David D

Quote:
Speed should not be an issue. All hard wired Ethernet in house and 50/35 Internet speeds. More worried about potential cable card issues, although I haven't really had any cable card problems since installation.

Checked UPS tracking and it looks like my new Roamio will be here Tuesday! Woohoo!
Old 01-09-2014, 06:16 PM   #19
David D

New Roamio arrived and installed! Called FIOS right away and got the card transferred from my Premiere to the Roamio. They had me remove the cable card from the Premiere, install it in the Roamio, and give them the numbers from the TiVo cable card menu. Went very smooth, just took a little while as the Roamio downloaded and installed an update as soon as it was set up.

Called TiVo about transferring service to the Roamio and inquired about moving my season passes and recorded shows to the new box. The customer service rep suggested subscribing the Premiere, moving things over, then canceling the Premiere subscription before the 30 day money back guarantee was up. I might call back and see if they'll offer the $99 lifetime deal. Right now, all my season passes are transferred and my recorded shows are being transferred as I type.

So far, the Roamio is impressive. It's faster, the menus look nicer, and the picture quality is SIGNIFICANTLY better. I'm praying that this box is more reliable than my Premiere has been. So far, I'm a very happy camper!
Old 01-10-2014, 07:36 AM   #20
unitron

Quote:
New Roamio arrived and installed! Called FIOS right away and got the card transferred from my Premiere to the Roamio. They had me remove the cable card from the Premiere, install it in the Roamio, and give them the numbers from the TiVo cable card menu. Went very smooth, just took a little while as the Roamio downloaded and installed an update as soon as it was set up.

Called TiVo about transferring service to the Roamio and inquired about moving my season passes and recorded shows to the new box. The customer service rep suggested subscribing the Premiere, moving things over, then canceling the Premiere subscription before the 30 day money back guarantee was up. I might call back and see if they'll offer the $99 lifetime deal. Right now, all my season passes are transferred and my recorded shows are being transferred as I type.

So far, the Roamio is impressive. It's faster, the menus look nicer, and the picture quality is SIGNIFICANTLY better. I'm praying that this box is more reliable than my Premiere has been. So far, I'm a very happy camper!

For future readers, probably better to negotiate that $99 lifetime on the old TiVo while you're still dangling the prospect of selling you a new one in front of the TiVo CSR than hoping to still have some leverage with them after the 30 day return for refund period on the new TiVo has expired.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:37 AM   #21
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by RusRus View Post
You must have learned what a Librocubicularist was while you were reading in bed. LOL

A word which is one letter longer than its definition.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:56 PM   #22
lynn02

Is it possible to get shows from my Series 2 stand alone to my Roamio Plus? If so, can someone walk me through step-by-step? Hopefully, I'll have the Roamio set up this weekend.
lynn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:27 PM   #23
jonglee

Quote:
It can take a long time, depending on how many shows you are doing, but just leave your old TiVo on the network and once your new Roamio is all set up and properly activated and stuff, you should be able to see the old TiVo at the bottom of the My Shows list. Navigate into it, and select the shows you want to transfer, and select Transfer Recording. You can queue them up, too... you don't have to wait until the first one is done.
I have the same exact situation (old Premiere and a new Roamio) and have a clarification. Will the transfer work even if the old TiVo doesn't have an M-Card?

The reason is because I only have one TV and want to transfer the shows then give the old TiVo away. They both have lifetime subscription. So if I understand the posts correctly, I just need to have the old TiVo on the network, then set up the new Roamio and do the transfer from the new Roamio?

Would appreciate any other tips!

Thanks in advance!
jonglee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:02 PM   #24
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonglee View Post
I have the same exact situation (old Premiere and a new Roamio) and have a clarification. Will the transfer work even if the old TiVo doesn't have an M-Card?

The reason is because I only have one TV and want to transfer the shows then give the old TiVo away. They both have lifetime subscription. So if I understand the posts correctly, I just need to have the old TiVo on the network, then set up the new Roamio and do the transfer from the new Roamio?

Would appreciate any other tips!

Thanks in advance!
Yes, it's got nothing to do with your cablecard... it just goes over your home network.

We were transferring from S3's that had single stream cards.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:02 PM   #25
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn02 View Post
Is it possible to get shows from my Series 2 stand alone to my Roamio Plus? If so, can someone walk me through step-by-step? Hopefully, I'll have the Roamio set up this weekend.
Yes.

1) hook Roamio & Series 2 up to the same network.. both have to be subscribed and have the same MAK (i.e. Tivo knows they're on the same account)
2) on Roamio, 'go into' the Series 2, which will be at the bottom of Now Playing
3) for EACH SHOW, you enter it and 'transfer this recording'.

Depending on how many shows you have, it's VERY tedious.

Seriously, it may be easier to transfer them to a COMPUTER with kmttg, then one by one (as you watch them) to the other Tivo by running pyTivo on the computer..
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:07 PM   #26
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Seriously, it may be easier to transfer them to a COMPUTER with kmttg, then one by one (as you watch them) to the other Tivo by running pyTivo on the computer..
If you already have those things set up, yes, it is, but they are not the most intuitive to set up if you are not technical.

Personally, I did not want to lose the metadata with the show, so even though it was extremely tedious, I just did it through the built in way.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:47 AM   #27
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn02 View Post
On a Series 2 it's better to transfer to your computer with TiVo Desktop or kmttg. Direct MRV transfers from S2s lose a lot of the metadata. They're also slow as hell even with a hard-wired connection. I just finished copying everything from my stack of four S2DTs with 500GB drives and it took more than a week with two computers copying 24/7.

Once they're on your computer you can transfer them back with Desktop or pyTivo.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:55 AM   #28
rlcarr

What about wishlists?

Speaking of transferring things to new Roamios...

The tivo.com Season Pass Manager only shows Season Passes. Does that mean it can only be used to transfer Season Passes? Does that mean I'm going to have to re-enter in all my wish lists (auto-recording and non-auto-recording) by hand on the Roamio?

Also, when working with a Roamio will the iOS app let you create wishlists? And if so, will it let you use the iOS virtual keyboard to type things in? Or will have have to do that damned "move the cursor on the TiVo screen with arrows" thing? If the latter, any alternatives for the Roamio other than plunking down the $50 for a Roamio slide remote? (I assume (?) the slide remote will let you directly type things -- correct me if I'm wrong!)

-------
And of course now I see that TiVo is out of stock of Roamio slide remotes. So wait an unknown amount of time or pay $30 over face value to get one from Weaknees. Grrr.
rlcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:14 AM   #29
TiVoJimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlcarr View Post
Speaking of transferring things to new Roamios...

The tivo.com Season Pass Manager only shows Season Passes. Does that mean it can only be used to transfer Season Passes? Does that mean I'm going to have to re-enter in all my wish lists (auto-recording and non-auto-recording) by hand on the Roamio?

Also, when working with a Roamio will the iOS app let you create wishlists? And if so, will it let you use the iOS virtual keyboard to type things in? Or will have have to do that damned "move the cursor on the TiVo screen with arrows" thing? If the latter, any alternatives for the Roamio other than plunking down the $50 for a Roamio slide remote? (I assume (?) the slide remote will let you directly type things -- correct me if I'm wrong!)

-------
And of course now I see that TiVo is out of stock of Roamio slide remotes. So wait an unknown amount of time or pay $30 over face value to get one from Weaknees. Grrr.
I just went through this. You need to recreated your Wishlists manually. You can use the iOS keyboard to enter text in the text boxes, just navigate with remote for everything else.

Also, don't try to copy all SPs via the website at once. It doesn't copy them in order. I had to manually move them back in order on the Roamio, either via the TV or the app.
TiVoJimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:34 AM   #30
rlcarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoJimmy View Post
Also, don't try to copy all SPs via the website at once. It doesn't copy them in order. I had to manually move them back in order on the Roamio, either via the TV or the app.
Great.

But can you use the tivo.com Pass Manager to reorder them once they're copied to the Roamio? Or is it easier/better to do that from the iOS app?
rlcarr is offline   Reply With Quote