TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-31-2013, 05:16 PM   #1
Johncv

Why do you have DriectTV?

My brother and I are looking into changing from Cox to DriectTV. Yes, this will mean I will lose the use of my TiVo. My brother has friends who use DriectTV and he states the picture quality is so much better than what Cox provides. Is this true and can anyone verify this?

If we do change, how good/bad is the Genie box/UI? (I know it NOT a TiVo)

How is DriectTV VOD service? My brother was playing with it at his friends house and it seem offer more stuff than Netflix. Is this true?

What bundle package do any of you use? Because I am in a wheelchair I want the movie channels (HBO, Showtime, etc.)

Is DriectTV really cheaper then Cox? We will need to keep the Cox internet service, so can I keep the MoCa hook up? Now I have it hook-up to the TiVo and the Playstation3.

Any info regarding DriectTV will be welcome. What should/can we negotiate for?

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:22 PM   #2
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
Every local cable company is different regarding pricing, channels and quality. You can't just compare to "Cox". Which is cheaper depends on which channels you want and the packages offered.

Where I live, DirecTV is price-competitive with Comcast (the only cable provider) and has more of the channels I want to watch. I also happen to dislike the way Comcast is run as a company.

The DirecTV DVRs, especially the Genie models, are fine. But if you really like the TiVo UI, you can get the THR22. You'll miss out on some features such as whole-home streaming and 3D, and will pay a $5/mo premium, but it works. We have both a THR22 and an HR44 Genie.

DirecTV has a LOT of VOD. I find it works quite well on the HR44. The THR22, while it supposedly can do VOD, never succeeds at a download.

I believe you'll need to separate the cable runs from Cox.

DirecTV, like all the providers, has great package deals for new customers.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:59 AM   #3
joed32

Newer stuff than Netflix but not more.
joed32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 07:38 AM   #4
ninjagator

I have been a directv customer for 15 years. It's a good service but I am switching to comcast and getting a tivo...

I have been a tivo fan since the very first one and I waited at best buy to get the very first directv tivo come off the truck. But sadly with the crummy boxes they have come out with I am switching to cable.

I think it's less about programming from the provider and the box that makes it all great or bad. I think the tivo makes it a better experience.
ninjagator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:18 AM   #5
Davelnlr_

As the first poster pointed out, each cable location, even from the same company, has different quality. I have both DirecTv and Comcast. Both offer equal picture quality here. Comcast has several channels DirecTv does not, and DirecTv has some sports channels Comcast only has in SD at the moment here.

Using the DirecTv boxes (Genie, H24, HR24) are slow compared with the comcast boxes I use (Tivo Premier 4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD). I much prefer the Tivos, and unless I am specifically watching something on DirecTv that isnt available on Comcast, I pretty much stick with the Tivos.

Dont do any Streaming from either one, I use Amazon and Netflix.

DirecTvs Ultimate package includes some movie channels, but only their highest priced package includes HBO. You can add movie channels to any package though.
Davelnlr_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:41 AM   #6
LBCABob

Arrow Refer-a-Friend $10 x 10 months Credit

If you do decide to go ahead with DirecTV, be sure to get the account info from your friends (or someone here) to get the $100 Refer-a-Friend promotion. It should be a $10/month savings on top of the other new customer savings (and the friend gets the same discount). Also look to other sources for the best new customer deal (e.g. CostCo, AAA). Of course, once the promotions expire, your bill can easily double and you will be under contract for X more months.
LBCABob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 04:53 PM   #7
Johncv

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBCABob View Post
If you do decide to go ahead with DirecTV, be sure to get the account info from your friends (or someone here) to get the $100 Refer-a-Friend promotion. It should be a $10/month savings on top of the other new customer savings (and the friend gets the same discount). Also look to other sources for the best new customer deal (e.g. CostCo, AAA). Of course, once the promotions expire, your bill can easily double and you will be under contract for X more months.
That what my brother did at CostCo and a discount to friend. The only thing don't like about the deal is that to get the Genie at no cost, you have add another device, in the case the streamer device. We do have another TV, but don't want view TV on 40 inch screen when I have a 65 inch TV. The advantage I get out of all of this is that my brother will pay for the DreictTV service.

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:02 AM   #8
the_Skywise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjagator View Post
I have been a directv customer for 15 years. It's a good service but I am switching to comcast and getting a tivo...

I have been a tivo fan since the very first one and I waited at best buy to get the very first directv tivo come off the truck. But sadly with the crummy boxes they have come out with I am switching to cable.

I think it's less about programming from the provider and the box that makes it all great or bad. I think the tivo makes it a better experience.
Did you not like the THR22 (Directv's new Tivo?)
the_Skywise is offline   Reply With Quote