TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-20-2013, 10:11 PM   #31
fletchoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
So you're CALLING TIVO and/or REPORTING THIS ON THEIR FORUMS, right?

Otherwise, you are effectively talking to a wall. Tivo does not follow these forums! To get ACTUAL HELP from someone who can help, you need to contact them.
I'm doing both... And I am logging my issues here in this forum so others can see the solution I have achieved.
fletchoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:34 AM   #32
fletchoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by fletchoman View Post
I'm doing both... And I am logging my issues here in this forum so others can see the solution I have achieved.
OK... The incompetence at TiVo has been staggering and frustrating.

I was promised a call back from Connor to confirm that they would ship me a new TiVo to replace the one that defective, unfortunately I never got a call back.

When I called TiVo again I was charged full price for a new system in order to get it shipped out before sending back the defective unit.

Today I called because they had disconnected the service from my current Roamio, I was told this is standard practice and I would have to pay 12.99 to get a one-month extension extension on my current unit.

Wow... They knew I was continuing to use my old unit ...and they knew my new one would not arrive for sometime... But they seem to only know one procedure.

I was finally able to get a supervisor to fix things by returning my previous license back to my old unit... But now when I get my new Roamio, I won't be able to transfer between the two because TiVo doesn't have a way to have two active lifetime subscriptions on two different units... They want me to actually pay for a month subscription...

I must be the first and only one to ever have a problem with my TIVO...;-).
Old 12-24-2013, 01:48 PM   #33
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
....don't they know I have been using Tivo for years...with 2 lifetime subscriptions???
Why should they care about you? You're not adding anything to their monthly bottom line with lifetime subs...

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 05:06 PM   #34
fletchoman

So the second Roamio has now failed in the same exact way that the first one did... More details later
Old 12-30-2013, 05:56 PM   #35
fletchoman

I have now tried two different Cisco cable cards, two different TiVo Roamios.

Today I missed the college football game that was supposed to record, again with only one scheduled recording. Tuner two was the failed tuner again...

I called TiVo and went through all of the diagnostic information, they said I was experiencing the problem with too many tuners... Then they recommended that I use a Motorola cable card

I called Comcast to ask but they indicated that I was not eligible to use a Motorola cable card.

I can't believe that nobody else is having this problem...
Old 12-31-2013, 07:20 AM   #36
HazelW

Quote:

Today I missed the college football game that was supposed to record, again with only one scheduled recording. Tuner two was the failed tuner again...

I called TiVo and went through all of the diagnostic information, they said I was experiencing the problem with too many tuners... Then they recommended that I use a Motorola cable card

I called Comcast to ask but they indicated that I was not eligible to use a Motorola cable card.

A lot of us are. See the thread on tuners 5 and 6 not working.
HazelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:19 AM   #37
jntc

Quote:

Are you able to see what tuner is failing? If so, how? And how did they go through the diags? When I've called them, they simply shrug me off with "This is a known issue with Comcast not supporting six tuners - you need to get an updated firmware from them" - Comcast (at least in my area) does not arbitrarily 'give' you an updated firmware. It's a system wide push done when all of their testing is done and they are ready to push it out. Comcast tells me they can't push out to a single user.
jntc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:25 PM   #38
fletchoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jntc View Post
Are you able to see what tuner is failing? If so, how? And how did they go through the diags? When I've called them, they simply shrug me off with "This is a known issue with Comcast not supporting six tuners - you need to get an updated firmware from them" - Comcast (at least in my area) does not arbitrarily 'give' you an updated firmware. It's a system wide push done when all of their testing is done and they are ready to push it out. Comcast tells me they can't push out to a single user.
Look under DVR diagnostics for the details of each tuner; Look back at my first post to see the pictures of each screen...the pictures form yesterday are too blurry to post unfortunately.

NOTE: I am able to start 6 simultaneous recordings manually...so I don't believe this issue is related to the unauthorized tuner issue.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:46 PM   #39
jntc

Quote:
Look under DVR diagnostics for the details of each tuner; Look back at my first post to see the pictures of each screen...the pictures form yesterday are too blurry to post unfortunately.

NOTE: I am able to start 6 simultaneous recordings manually...so I don't believe this issue is related to the unauthorized tuner issue.
Okay, that's what I did as well. I am also able to set 6 simultaneous recordings with no issues. But am still plagued with the v58 screen of 'angry family'!
jntc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 06:39 PM   #40
fletchoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
So you're CALLING TIVO and/or REPORTING THIS ON THEIR FORUMS, right?

Otherwise, you are effectively talking to a wall. Tivo does not follow these forums! To get ACTUAL HELP from someone who can help, you need to contact them.
I have called and reported the problem to TIVO, I also called Comcast and reported the problem to them. Comcast blamed TiVo for the problem, and TiVo blamed Comcast...

The TiVo technical support person recommended that I turn off two of the tuners... When I told them that I can record six channels at the same time manually, they didn't know what to say...
Old 01-01-2014, 01:31 AM   #41
CloudAtlas

Quote:
Why should they care about you? You're not adding anything to their monthly bottom line with lifetime subs...
I don't really think a level 1 support person making $8 hour is thinking that. If anything they are thinking what did I do in previous lifetime that I now have to take support calls on product where asking the customer to uninstall program, reboot, and reinstall does not work.
CloudAtlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:07 PM   #42
fletchoman

Yesterday I missed a recording that was 2nd in a series of three season passes on the same channel. No other recordings were scheduled. I'm really finding it difficult to understand how I am the only one seeing this problem???
Old 01-07-2014, 09:02 PM   #43
dtivouser

TC CLUB MEMBER
I don't think you are the only one. There are entire threads on that behavior.
dtivouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:04 PM   #44
HarperVision

And both my son and I remember recording Bonnie and Clyde on History a few weeks back and they mysteriously aren't there anymore. Everyone swears they didn't delete them and its not even close to being full so it wouldn't auto delete to make room either.

Could this be the same bug?
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:23 PM   #45
fletchoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
And both my son and I remember recording Bonnie and Clyde on History a few weeks back and they mysteriously aren't there anymore. Everyone swears they didn't delete them and its not even close to being full so it wouldn't auto delete to make room either.

Could this be the same bug?
In my case no, you can discover this problem if you look at your history and find that a recording did not occur because of a loss of signal.

If you were lucky enough to catch the event in progress, then you'll see one of the tuners, typically 2, will be unavailable.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:25 PM   #46
HarperVision

Ok thanks. The mystery continues!
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 01:04 PM   #47
tim1724

Quote:
I have called and reported the problem to TIVO, I also called Comcast and reported the problem to them. Comcast blamed TiVo for the problem, and TiVo blamed Comcast...

The TiVo technical support person recommended that I turn off two of the tuners... When I told them that I can record six channels at the same time manually, they didn't know what to say...
This is normal behavior when you have an older firmware on a Cisco/Scientific Atlanta cablecard.

It will sometimes record 6 things simultaneously without any problem, but sometimes the cablecard will fail to authorize a tuner.

Try setting your TiVo to use only 5 tuners and then force a reboot. I bet it fixes the problem. (With some firmware versions you may have to go down to 4, but 5 works on most versions.)

The ONLY way to successfully use all six tuners on a consistent basis is to have the latest firmware from Cisco. And yes, it is very frustrating that most cable companies are not rolling it out yet. (I have Charter, which is still using firmware from 2009!)
tim1724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:37 PM   #48
fletchoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim1724 View Post
This is normal behavior when you have an older firmware on a Cisco/Scientific Atlanta cablecard.

It will sometimes record 6 things simultaneously without any problem, but sometimes the cablecard will fail to authorize a tuner.

Try setting your TiVo to use only 5 tuners and then force a reboot. I bet it fixes the problem. (With some firmware versions you may have to go down to 4, but 5 works on most versions.)

The ONLY way to successfully use all six tuners on a consistent basis is to have the latest firmware from Cisco. And yes, it is very frustrating that most cable companies are not rolling it out yet. (I have Charter, which is still using firmware from 2009!)

Sorry, been there done that. If you look at my original post you'll see that tuner five was turned off when my failures occurred. Originally I thought maybe that was the issue that I was seeing but now I think it's something different.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:04 PM   #49
DocNo

Arrow

Quote:
I am on my second cable card.
Unfortunately, after reading that other thread, if your cable company isn't pushing new firmware to the cards a new card with the same old, buggy firmware isn't going to help you
Tivo HD - On the way out the door
DocNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:58 PM   #50
fletchoman

I am now convinced that there is more than one problem. I have tested with six tuners enabled and five tuners enabled and now with four tuners enabled. All have failed in various ways. With four tuners enabled I got a new error message... Channel unavailable. I also saw a repeat of the no signal error. I have had TiVo suggestions on and off in all configurations, all experienced failures.

My failure today showed two tuners in the bad state... Again with only one scheduled recording.