Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-30-2013, 12:57 PM   #61
skid71

Quote:
Originally Posted by mburnno View Post
...snip/
I am actually surprised that Comcast is still rolling out On Demand for Tivo since they launch their X1 platform. /snip...
A bit off topic, but I thought Comcast agreed to add VOD to TiVo, in exchange, TiVo would not sue Comcast over patent issues.
skid71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:33 PM   #62
CloudAtlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristoBrat View Post
IIRC, Comcast lost 129M TV subscribers last quarter, and 117M TV subscribers the quarter before that. If other cable companies are seeing similar results, I wonder if they'll start changing their tune and actually start supporting tech that isn't theirs but keeps people around and subscribing to their TV service.
I think you meant 129K (129,000) lost subscribers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Times

The biggest part of the sprawling company, Comcast Cable, reported a 5.2 percent uptick in revenue by signing up more broadband Internet users and by squeezing about $10 more a month from its average television subscriber. Thus, Comcast came out ahead, even though it lost 129,000 of its 21.6 million TV subscribers in the quarter, slightly more than it lost in the period last year.

These trends — increases on the broadband side and decreases on the television side — have been evident in Comcast’s earnings for years amid stiff competition from Verizon and AT&T’s TV services and changes in consumer behavior. Many of Comcast’s customers pay the company for an all-inclusive package of TV, broadband and phone. But the company is rapidly approaching the point where it will have more broadband subscribers than TV subscribers.

Three years ago, Comcast had about 23 million TV subscribers and almost 17 million broadband subscribers; now, it has 21.6 million on the TV side and 20.3 million on the broadband side.

That’s partly why the company’s newest promotion, which it calls Internet Plus, is aimed at persuading people to sign up for broadband plus entry-level TV service. The package, $50 a month for the first 12 months, emphasizes on-demand TV by including HBO and its HBO GO streaming service as well as Comcast’s own Streampix, but it also includes broadcast television channels and a set-top box. The package gained press attention last week because it eschews the typical channel bundle and comes close to selling HBO via the Internet without any other TV service. But Comcast executives played down the significance of the move, saying that it was intended to hook new subscribers.

CloudAtlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:54 PM   #63
aristoBrat

I did. Thank you.
Series 3 OLED (x2)
DirecTiVo (x3)
Series 1
aristoBrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:55 AM   #64
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudAtlas View Post

I think you meant 129K (129,000) lost subscribers.
Maybe now they'll start embracing an "a la carte' " type programming package, since so many are going to similar models such as Netflix, Hulu and other "cord cutting" techniques?
HarperVision is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 04:08 AM   #65
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
Maybe now they'll start embracing an "a la carte' " type programming package, since so many are going to similar models such as Netflix, Hulu and other "cord cutting" techniques?
As much as I'd love to see that with any provider, it's a threat to their bottom line, unless they find a way to still make equal money, and then some.

It's really not a TiVo matter. They've done their part with the Opera Store. What you suggest is almost entirely non-relevant to the thread topic. I do agree with you, though.

I'll admit the Roamio is the best TiVo yet.... But, it still seems like it's the product the Premiere was touted as, and as things get trickled-down to the Premiere, other than the menu coloring, and speed, the two are hard to tell you are using something so many years newer, and the best they have to offer. It's taken a lot of years to make what I feel they should have in the previous product (if you take away the extra hardware-provided functions, like MoCA, wireless, mobile streaming, etc.)

As long as TiVo doesn't let it stagnate, and keeps rolling new things that just can't work on the Premiere's limited resources, the Roamio line seems to have a bright future. I'll even give kudos to TiVo for adding more things to the Premiere, rather than just halting further updates for the platform.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 06:15 AM   #66
mburnno

Quote:
Originally Posted by skid71 View Post
A bit off topic, but I thought Comcast agreed to add VOD to TiVo, in exchange, TiVo would not sue Comcast over patent issues.
Perhaps, but somehow companies have a way of dragging their feet on doing what they promise. I know in Maryland only select regions can use the VOD service and where I live it is not one of them. I don't know if this is because of a technical reason or if it cost money to implement it.
mburnno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:18 AM   #67
laria
Librocubicularist

I am glad it is available in my market... I gotta call and pair my cards, though, so I can use it.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:00 AM   #68
davezatz
Funkadelic

The premise of the thread is interesting... I agree most forum chatter surrounds issues, yet on the other hand TiVo had 1.7 million retail customers in 2007 and as of October 2013 has something like 960k. The majority of users still served by TiVo probably ARE happy. Many/most of the unhappy or disinterested have probably moved on. And of course there are many shades of grey... For example, I'm mostly happy with TiVo (Reliability, UI, Mini, remote), but there are some things that disappoint (Android, Amazon, Pause Menu ads).

It'll be interesting to see how Roamio holiday sales went. I feel like they need to lower prices a bit more to get more newcomers in the fold and I'm not sure why they don't offer super cheap Lifetime on older S3 and S4 hardware to increase their footprint.

Last edited by davezatz : 12-31-2013 at 10:12 AM.
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 10:50 AM   #69
dahacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz View Post
The premise of the thread is interesting... I agree most forum chatter surrounds issues, yet on the other hand TiVo had 1.7 million retail customers in 2007 and as of October 2013 has something like 960k. The majority of users still served by TiVo probably ARE happy. Many/most of the unhappy or disinterested have probably moved on. And of course there are many shades of grey... For example, I'm mostly happy with TiVo (Reliability, UI, Mini, remote), but there are some things that disappoint (Android, Amazon, Pause Menu ads).

It'll be interesting to see how Roamio holiday sales went. I feel like they need to lower prices a bit more to get more newcomers in the fold and I'm not sure why they don't offer super cheap Lifetime on older S3 and S4 hardware to increase their footprint.
I think the problem is simple. People can get a DVR from their cable company at ~$20/month. To most people a DVR is a commodity and all are equal. Then on top of that, 90% of Americans can't determine the total lifetime cost of anything. So even though Tivos with lifetime are cheaper after 3 or 4 years (not including residual value), it just doesn't compute.

This pervades itself in mobile phones with Americans also. Verizon pulled this game over on everyone last year (2012). They moved from $70 a month unlimited plans to $100/month 2GB plans and said that you can stay on your $70/month plan if you buy your phone up front. But if you get a subsidized phone for $200, then you have to change to a $100/month plan. I'm pretty sure I'm the only one in the US who buys their phone up front, kept their unlimited plan and my break even point is 12 months everytime I get a new phone. Everyone I talk to is now shelling out $100+/month to Verizon, can't change their phones for about 24 months, and now is stuffed with data caps.

Last edited by dahacker : 12-31-2013 at 11:10 AM.
dahacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:50 AM   #70
Chris Gerhard

Quote:

I visited today to check if cheap lifetime on TiVoHD was being offered without any luck. I am definitely among the long term happy TiVo users, starting in Oct. 2000 with the DirecTV TiVo. I dropped DirecTV and added two TiVoHDs with lifetime in 2009. With three lifetime purchases, I have been using TiVo for over 13 years so it has been cost effective and reliable for me, never paying a monthly fee.

I can't say a cheap lifetime service for my unsubscribed TiVoHD would be a good business decision for TiVo but I can say that is all I am interested in buying now. TiVo sends me promotional offers on the newer models but after considering the offers, I always decide to stand pat.
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 02:18 PM   #71
lessd

If I don't post on this Thread will people think I am unhappy ?? I think this Thread would more useful as a poll like
Happy that TiVo ever came into being doing DVRs
Cable co does the DVR job, we don't need TiVo
Tried both Like the TiVo better
Tried both Like the cable co DVR system better

Old 01-01-2014, 03:26 PM   #72
dcpmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
After this many years, I can't believe that you still can't pair your own cable cards on a web interface. Comcast at least has a website where one can activate the cable cards. Now just let us type in our own pairing information, guys...
I'm pretty sure Fios allows you to activate a CC online. I seem to remember doing this recently.
dcpmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 03:39 PM   #73
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcpmark View Post
I'm pretty sure Fios allows you to activate a CC online. I seem to remember doing this recently.
Can you actually pair it though?

We did activate our Comcast card online last week... but we haven't paired them yet, so we cannot watch HBO or use the Xfinity VOD app. We need to call and do that part.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:06 PM   #74
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Can you actually pair it though?

We did activate our Comcast card online last week... but we haven't paired them yet, so we cannot watch HBO or use the Xfinity VOD app. We need to call and do that part.
I've never gotten it to work online, but I have gotten it to work with the automated phone line repeatedly, so I recommend the phone process since you're in control and can enter the digits properly, which appears to be an issue when you talk to a CSR.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:21 PM   #75
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
I've never gotten it to work online, but I have gotten it to work with the automated phone line repeatedly, so I recommend the phone process since you're in control and can enter the digits properly, which appears to be an issue when you talk to a CSR.
There's an automated phone line? I only know the cable card phone line at 877-405-2298, but in the past when I've called that there's just a person.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:32 PM   #76
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
There's an automated phone line? I only know the cable card phone line at 877-405-2298, but in the past when I've called that there's just a person.
Verizon has an automated "activation line" but it also accepts the pairing info from the Host ID, and it's worked about 90% of the time for me. and yes, sorry I'm mixing providers without being clear, my bad there...
Old 01-01-2014, 09:39 PM   #77
laria
Librocubicularist

Ahh ok... bummer, I was going to be all over an automated pairing phone line.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:52 AM   #78
CloudAtlas

Quote:
The premise of the thread is interesting... I agree most forum chatter surrounds issues, yet on the other hand TiVo had 1.7 million retail customers in 2007 and as of October 2013 has something like 960k. The majority of users still served by TiVo probably ARE happy. Many/most of the unhappy or disinterested have probably moved on. And of course there are many
TiVo subscriptions rose to approximately 3.9 million in total, a 32% increase year-over-year; driven by a strong quarter of close to 300,000 MSO additions, our strongest cable distribution results to date as well as best subscription growth in several years. In fact the best quarter for TiVo subscription growth since TiVo began mass distribution of its technology and services in the cable DVR market. [Results for the Third Quarter Ended October 31, 2013]

The downside of TiVo signing up more MSO's (Cable Companies) is that from a numbers perspective they will lose some retail customers. Why buy a TiVo retail when you can rent it cheap or free from your CableCo? And a TiVo from your CableCo is installed and supported by them. Hard drive just crashed in your out of warranty TiVo? Just call for a free no hassle replacement. For your troubles accept an all new Roamio T6 in place of the broken Premiere Q4.

Made by TiVo. Supported by CableCo.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:08 PM   #79
lessd

Quote:
The downside of TiVo signing up more MSO's (Cable Companies) is that from a numbers perspective they will lose some retail customers. Why buy a TiVo retail when you can rent it cheap or free from your CableCo? And a TiVo from your CableCo is installed and supported by them. Hard drive just crashed in your out of warranty TiVo? Just call for a free no hassle replacement. For your troubles accept an all new Roamio T6 in place of the broken Premiere Q4.
Made by TiVo. Supported by CableCo.
This has been TiVos main problem with retail sales, I think TiVo will get much more volume with the MSO. Using the MSO the one thing I don't know is how is the guide data is delivered to the MSO TiVo, by the internet as it is for the retail customer or does TiVo add something inside the MSO TiVo so they can get the guide data from the cable itself as the normal MSO DVRs do ?

Old 01-02-2014, 03:48 PM   #80
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
TiVo subscriptions rose to approximately 3.9 million in total, a 32% increase year-over-year; driven by a strong quarter of close to 300,000 MSO additions, our strongest cable distribution results to date as well as best subscription growth in several years. In fact the best quarter for TiVo subscription growth since TiVo began mass distribution of its technology and services in the cable DVR market. [Results for the Third Quarter Ended October 31, 2013]

The downside of TiVo signing up more MSO's (Cable Companies) is that from a numbers perspective they will lose some retail customers. Why buy a TiVo retail when you can rent it cheap or free from your CableCo?
TiVo's largest "cable" deployment is Virgin Media in the UK. (1.8 million as of 11/13) and they're only seeking out 2nd and 3rd tier US operators. I'd gladly work thru Verizon or Comcast, but they'll never offer TiVo. Not to mention they'd be unlikely to offer Netflix or Amazon, negating some of TiVo's theoretical one box benefits. Related, I think we'll see US operators neuter Roamio stream capabilities due to potential licensing complexities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
I don't know is how is the guide data is delivered to the MSO TiVo, by the internet as it is for the retail customer or does TiVo add something inside the MSO TiVo so they can get the guide data from the cable itself as the normal MSO DVRs do ?
In the US, TiVo primarily handles the network backend stuff like that (and you'll see RCN's product guy periodically complaining on Twitter when TiVo's services go down), whereas the overseas operators stand up and/or integrate their own TiVo backend.
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 04:21 PM   #81
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahacker View Post
I think the problem is simple. People can get a DVR from their cable company at ~$20/month. To most people a DVR is a commodity and all are equal. Then on top of that, 90% of Americans can't determine the total lifetime cost of anything. So even though Tivos with lifetime are cheaper after 3 or 4 years (not including residual value), it just doesn't compute.

This pervades itself in mobile phones with Americans also. Verizon pulled this game over on everyone last year (2012). They moved from $70 a month unlimited plans to $100/month 2GB plans and said that you can stay on your $70/month plan if you buy your phone up front. But if you get a subsidized phone for $200, then you have to change to a $100/month plan. I'm pretty sure I'm the only one in the US who buys their phone up front, kept their unlimited plan and my break even point is 12 months everytime I get a new phone. Everyone I talk to is now shelling out $100+/month to Verizon, can't change their phones for about 24 months, and now is stuffed with data caps.
You aren't the only one. A few months ago I bought a used Droid DNA phone for under $300(verizon wanted $650 brand new) so I could keep my unlimited plan. Over two years I would pay more than $1200 more if I were put on the new limited plans. So even with paying under $300 for the phone, I will still pay at least $900 less over two years.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 04:22 PM   #82
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post
I visited today to check if cheap lifetime on TiVoHD was being offered without any luck. I am definitely among the long term happy TiVo users, starting in Oct. 2000 with the DirecTV TiVo. I dropped DirecTV and added two TiVoHDs with lifetime in 2009. With three lifetime purchases, I have been using TiVo for over 13 years so it has been cost effective and reliable for me, never paying a monthly fee.

I can't say a cheap lifetime service for my unsubscribed TiVoHD would be a good business decision for TiVo but I can say that is all I am interested in buying now. TiVo sends me promotional offers on the newer models but after considering the offers, I always decide to stand pat.
They made me happy last month. They switched my $6.95 rate from my Premiere to a Roamio Basic. And they also gave me cheap lifetime on my Premiere. It was only $99.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 04:21 AM   #83
CloudAtlas

Quote:
they're only seeking out 2nd and 3rd tier US operators. I'd gladly work thru Verizon or Comcast, but they'll never offer TiVo. Not to mention they'd be unlikely to offer Netflix or Amazon, negating some of TiVo's theoretical one box benefits.
Looks like you may be switching to Comcast. :-)

Comcast customers rejoice!

Only TiVo offers you all your entertainment from TV, the web and XFINITY® On Demand in one box.

XFINITY On Demand comes together with the best stuff on the web—like Netflix, Hulu Plus, YouTube and more—all on a TiVo DVR. XFINITY On Demand works on TiVo Roamio and Premiere DVRs

Why switch to a TiVo DVR?
  • Replaces your cable box (CableCARD required)
  • Up to 75, 150 or 450 hours of recording capacity
  • Records up to 4 or 6 shows at once
  • Searches TV and the web simultaneously
  • Access XFINITY On Demand and Streampix
  • Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Instant Video and YouTube
  • Comcast can assist with set up of your TiVo DVR

Last edited by CloudAtlas : 01-03-2014 at 04:27 AM.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:30 AM   #84
aristoBrat

Did you notice the bottom on that TiVo page?

Quote:
Cable companies offering TiVo Premiere DVRs

The following service providers offer TiVo Premiere DVRs directly to their customers:
Neither Comcast or Verizon are on that list.
Series 3 OLED (x2)
DirecTiVo (x3)
Series 1
aristoBrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:34 AM   #85
rrm998

This is my first Tivo. I'm using OTA only. It's the first time in my adult life that I've not had a pay TV service. OTA plus a few purchases on Amazon.com is providing me with all the TV I need.

I'm very happy with the new Tivo. I'm glad that this company may survive after years of predictions of it's demise.
rrm998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:45 PM   #86
CloudAtlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristoBrat View Post
Did you notice the bottom on that TiVo page?
Neither Comcast or Verizon are on that list.
So you're saying it's BYOT (Bring Your own TiVo)?! That Comcast Xfinity does not offer TiVo as an option?

Either way on Comcast Xfinity a TiVo Premiere or Roamio supports both Xfinity On Demand (VOD) along with video apps Netflix, Hulu+, Amazon and YouTube.

What US Cable vendor even supports Netflix alongside their own VOD service? I know my RCN TiVo has VOD but no Netflix, Hulu+, Amazon apps.