TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 12-24-2013, 07:30 AM   #1
chrispitude

What irritations have you noticed in the Roamio's UI?

Edit: before I begin, let me say that the Roamio's UI is TiVo's best UI yet and I applaud their development effort for it. For me, it wouldn't take much to make it perfect for needs, and that's why I started this thread.

I'll start off.

1. In the Premiere's SD UI, when I had multiple episodes of a show, I was able to use "Channel Up" and "Channel Down" in the episode description page to move between them. I was able to quickly see all description information update (episode number, airing date, duration, etc.) as I moved through the shows.

The Roamio UI shows most of the information in the truncated summary on the right (which is clever design!), but not all of it. When I select a show to see the full description in the UI, I wish I could still use "Channel Up" and "Channel Down" to move between them.

2. Although the Roamio menus are impressively fast compared to the Premiere HD menus, there is still some lag before it completely renders all menu items. I noticed that if I move the selection cursor before the menu is finished rendering, it will force the cursor back to the original item when the menu render completes.

To see this, go to My Shows, then find a list of episodes for a show. Go to the detailed information page for the first show. If you press "left" to to back to the episode list and immediately press "up" or "down" to move to another show, the cursor will be forced back to the original show if you beat the menu.

Strangely, some shows redraw their menu very quickly and some do not.

Last edited by chrispitude : 12-24-2013 at 07:40 AM.
chrispitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 08:09 AM   #2
ADG
Allan

If you look hard enough, you can find fault with anything.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 08:31 AM   #3
chrispitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADG View Post
This is why I'm a good engineer. However, these aren't things that I went looking for; they are things I noticed in normal operation.
Old 12-24-2013, 08:55 AM   #4
jeffosoft

Thumbs up Thanks

Thank you chrispitude

This was exactly what i was looking for. The Tivo HD and Premiere .. was bad at times and near awful others.

I appreciate you writing this.

ADG - I appreciate you comment as well. But Honestly Its way past time to stop babying Tivo over there systems. They have issues that should have been worked out years ago

No more excuses Tivo, I mean my premiere when I got it, the remote didnt work, They sent a new one right away (luckily I used my old remote from the tivo HD)

About 8 months after I got it all the numbers and symbols wore off, the sad part is I rarely if ever use the numbers.. yet they were store worn off.

My Past 4 tivo remotes, perfect no issues.

So yea they have had quality issues in the past, hopefully though this is starting to be behind them.
jeffosoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:30 AM   #5
richbrew
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispitude View Post

1. In the Premiere's SD UI, when I had multiple episodes of a show, I was able to use "Channel Up" and "Channel Down" in the episode description page to move between them. I was able to quickly see all description information update (episode number, airing date, duration, etc.) as I moved through the shows.

The Roamio UI shows most of the information in the truncated summary on the right (which is clever design!), but not all of it. When I select a show to see the full description in the UI, I wish I could still use "Channel Up" and "Channel Down" to move between them.
This happens in the Premiere's HD UI also, and it drives me nuts. I often have a folder of episodes of a show where I have watched a few, and my wife hasn't. I would select one and use page up/down to flip through looking at episode numbers/descriptions to figure out where I left off. I hate having to go the long way around to get from one to the next. I love the advances made to the HD UI, but it was attention to those minor details that gave the original TiVo's such a fantastic user experience and put TiVo so far above other DVR's, so it sucks to see them being overlooked in the transition.
richbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 06:59 PM   #6
ltxi

none worth mentioning
ltxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 07:20 PM   #7
Zu Nim
Registerer Used

The time stamps on the left and right side of the progress bar aren't vertically centered.

The Dolby indicator is yellow when looking at program info, but if you choose a stereo track it becomes a blue speaker icon. Inconsistent.

When you're in the guide, the NEW and HD graphics aren't vertically aligned with the second line of the description of the currently selected program.

Hardly anyone probably notices these things but they irritate me.

Oh, and ads. So many pointless, unpleasant, redundant ads.
Zu Nim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:20 PM   #8
moyekj

HDUI Wishlist screens issues

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 05:26 AM   #9
pautler

Quote:

Totally agree. I used to use that feature all the time on my old DirecTiVo, and really miss it on the Roamio.

-Joe
pautler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 03:52 PM   #10
pgoelz

Quote:
The Roamio UI shows most of the information in the truncated summary on the right (which is clever design!), but not all of it.
Related to this..... I find it irritating that with all the new screen real estate available in the HD UI, the program descriptions are STILL truncated when they show in the sidebar. To see the whole description you have to click through to the program itself. And then click back out to click to the next program.

I know there are good design reasons for this, but it would be nice to be able to enable or disable things like the thumbnails at the top to leave more space for descriptions. Or allow the description area to move up (providing more space under it) if you disable the live view thumbnail in the "What To Watch Now" screen.

Paul
pgoelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 05:32 PM   #11
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

I wish TiVo would change the menu animations. They are now the one thing slowing down the UI- having to wait for the fancy transition animation with each menu pick. I would want it turned off or swapped out for something at least twice as fast.

Have made this suggestion to them several times now. It is the most irritating thing about the Roamio UI, to me, and it should be really easy to fix.
Old 12-27-2013, 06:04 PM   #12
Sixto

TC CLUB MEMBER
Bothers me that there's a slight sound cutout when entering TiVo Central. Don't have it with the Guide.

Sixto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 03:32 AM   #13
mjcxp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixto View Post
Bothers me that there's a slight sound cutout when entering TiVo Central. Don't have it with the Guide.
Yep, this is extremely annoying.
mjcxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 06:33 PM   #14
chrispitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjcxp View Post
Yep, this is extremely annoying.
My wife actually asked why our Roamio does this. ("Good question, honey.")
Old 12-30-2013, 06:39 PM   #15
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
I don't notice or care about that.

But I get a 3/4 second sound dropout EVERY TIME I start to play a video (even after every pause/resume), which I very much notice. (I am using optical/toslink AC3). Don't remember that happening on my HD nor Premiere.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:03 PM   #16
dtivouser
Tivoless

TC CLUB MEMBER
This may simply be a personal problem, but when I'm watching a recorded show and press the Tivo button to do something, I'm not sure how to get back full screen to the program I was watching. The "live TV" button doesn't seem right to go back to a recorded show, but it seems to work. So that's my UI irritation.
dtivouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:18 PM   #17
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtivouser View Post
This may simply be a personal problem, but when I'm watching a recorded show and press the Tivo button to do something, I'm not sure how to get back full screen to the program I was watching. The "live TV" button doesn't seem right to go back to a recorded show, but it seems to work. So that's my UI irritation.
The "Zoom" button will always take the video in the preview window back to full screen, whether Live or recorded.
tatergator1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:51 PM   #18
jwbelcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
The "Zoom" button will always take the video in the preview window back to full screen, whether Live or recorded.
I'd like if Clear button still worked from the main Tivo Central menu. It seems Clear is now just a Delete shortcut.
jwbelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:55 PM   #19
jwbelcher

Quote:
I also occasionally see video pauses when entering in Tivo Central. Again, don't have that prob with Guide. preview should be seamless
jwbelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:58 AM   #20
ADG
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbelcher View Post
I also occasionally see video pauses when entering in Tivo Central. Again, don't have that prob with Guide. preview should be seamless
This is not a Roamio specific anomaly. My Premier Elite and two S3's display the same behavior.

ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:14 PM   #21
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
I'd like if Clear button still worked from the main Tivo Central menu. It seems Clear is now just a Delete shortcut.
I'm confused. What should Clear do when in TiVo Central? I always thought it was to clear any on-screen displays, and as a quick-delete in most places where a delete can be performed.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 04:10 PM   #22
DeltaOne
Mount Airy, MD

Quote:
It seems Clear is now just a Delete shortcut.
While I do use Clear to delete individual programs and groups of recordings, I use it mostly when I mis-type a number when changing channels.
DeltaOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 04:34 PM   #23
laria
Librocubicularist

Something I noticed the other day... I have always hit the FF button a 4th time to make it stop (and same with Rewind), but on the Roamio, it doesn't seem to do anything. I've retrained my brain to hit Play instead about 3/4 of the time now, so I'm sure it won't be long before I do it all the time. Just that screwed me up a bunch initially as I would FF past about 10 min of show trying to figure out why I couldn't stop it.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:04 PM   #24
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
Something I noticed the other day... I have always hit the FF button a 4th time to make it stop (and same with Rewind), but on the Roamio, it doesn't seem to do anything. I've retrained my brain to hit Play instead about 3/4 of the time now, so I'm sure it won't be long before I do it all the time. Just that screwed me up a bunch initially as I would FF past about 10 min of show trying to figure out why I couldn't stop it.
SPS88S backdoor entered while playing back a recording will give you old behavior if you really like it. (Like most other SPS codes it needs to be re-entered upon each reboot).

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 05:27 PM   #25
laria
Librocubicularist

That's good to know... but I'd probably forget to re-enter it so I'll just finish retraining my brain.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:49 PM   #26
videobruce
OTA is still alive

Quote:
Absolutely nothing wrong with that!
Mediocrity is not a good thing.
videobruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 05:50 PM   #27
tombot

This is my first tivo, that I've had for less than a month.

The preview window that shows in the "grid guide" view, is distracting. The 8 rows of channel listings are harder to read because they've been compressed to accommodate the preview window. Preview windows should always be "an option" during the time you're trying to read text, because they usually end up looking like distracting strobe lights as the images change so quickly. So distracting that I find I am always hitting the pause button after going into the channel guide. I suppose I could set up a macro on my new universal remote to cause the pause to happen, but -- does anyone know of a code to turn off that preview window?
tombot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 05:53 PM   #28
laria
Librocubicularist

There is a setting in the settings menu. I can't remember where and I'm not at my TV right now, but there was an option to have the preview window on or off. And you can always turn it off manually by hitting the Slow-Mo button... and maybe Zoom someone mentioned in here?

Edit: Never mind, Zoom was to take you back to full screen. So, just the Slow-Mo button to close the preview window manually.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:27 PM   #29
HVYCHVY

I just bought my Roamio after my S3 died. I noticed when in the Settings & Messages, only the Help page is in HD, The others look like crappy SD with the large print and kinda fuzzy looking.
HVYCHVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 02:11 AM   #30
CloudAtlas

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
Absolutely nothing wrong with that!
Mediocrity is not a good thing.
Not putting something under a microscope in no way implies mediocrity. These threads just scream for OCD types and nit pickers to find things that would be given such low-priority that no engineer in his right mind would ever risk time looking into. Software nowadays has become large and complex with a never ending list of enhancements and new development.

But maybe TiVo will divert the streaming team or android team for a couple of months to fix the brief sound cut-out or video pause when entering TiVo Central. Be careful what you wish for. :-)
CloudAtlas is offline   Reply With Quote