Old 03-20-2013, 07:30 PM   #1
MNoelH
McGruber

TC CLUB MEMBER
Top of the Lake - Full Miniseries Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance Channel
About Top of the Lake

Twelve years old and five months pregnant, Tui Mitcham suddenly disappears from her remote mountain town. Detective Robin Griffin returns home to investigate, but every step closer to solving the case unearths a dangerous truth about her past. Written and directed by Academy Award® winner Jane Campion.
Two of the three episodes have already aired (and are continuing to air on Sundance). The third will air beginning March 25th. I think it's seven episodes, but I'm not certain.

Starring Elisabeth Moss, Holly Hunter, Matt Mitcham, Al Parker, and Thomas M. Wright.

The scenery is breathtakingly beautiful. The mystery is intriguing. So far, I'm enjoying the ride and looking forward to the conclusion.

Is anyone else watching? Enjoying?

Last edited by MNoelH : 03-20-2013 at 07:38 PM.
MNoelH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:39 PM   #2
WhiskeyTango

I just found out about this show yesterday. I think they are replaying the first two episodes tomorrow night so it's not too late to jump in. Unfortunately I don't have Sundance in HD.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:41 PM   #3
sharkster

Yes, 7 episodes. I haven't watched yet but am looking forward to it. Hoping to get to the first 2 eps tonight.

I love Holly Hunter in anything and have yet to see Elizabeth Moss in anything aside from Mad Men.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:45 AM   #4
ADG
Allan

Got through about 15 minutes of the first episode and moved on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:29 AM   #5
tiams

I have it in my Netflix que
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:15 AM   #6
NJ_HB
TiVo/MCE/PSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
I have it in my Netflix que
I could'nt find it in my Netflix. I'll have to set a Season Pass on TiVo and catch them there.
NJ_HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:50 AM   #7
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY

TC CLUB MEMBER
Sounds like Twin Peaks. The show, not the restaurant.

Come join us <dates TBD>!
martinp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:14 PM   #8
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_HB View Post
I could'nt find it in my Netflix. I'll have to set a Season Pass on TiVo and catch them there.
It is still in my "Saved" section.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:35 PM   #9
etexlady

I watched the first two episodes this afternoon. Interesting. Dark. Mysterious. I'll keep watching.
etexlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:03 AM   #10
sharkster

I've also watched E01 and E02 so far. I'm going to continue watching but seriously, this is really REALLY weird! I watch stuff like Walking Dead and Dexter, not really considering them weird, but this one is pretty bizarro world. I'm intrigued, though.

I'm not sure if I would keep watching if it were more than seven episodes, though.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:05 AM   #11
sharkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
I just found out about this show yesterday. I think they are replaying the first two episodes tomorrow night so it's not too late to jump in. Unfortunately I don't have Sundance in HD.
Yeah, that's the one bummer. No HD Sundance here either.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:32 PM   #12
cherry ghost

Really enjoying it so far, but boy it sure is a strange show
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:21 AM   #13
dbranco

I enjoyed the series very much, up until the last episode (2nd half of the season finale). Absolutely HATED the way this finale played out. Usually I agree with Alan Sepinwall's TV episode reviews, but I can't disagree more with his review of this finale.

1. Huhh??? Whassup with Al (police chief) being a child molester??!! Sepinwall says:
That [Al drugging the kids etc] fits with everything Tui had said about not knowing how she got pregnant, and doesn't feel like a cheat because Al had always been presented as a man with questionable motives (what really happened that night Robin wound up in his bed, for instance?).
Until Al brought Matt onto the boat without telling Robin he was doing so, I NEVER had an inkling that he was anything but a "good cop". IMHO, that came so far out of left field that it completely ruined the conclusion of this story.

2. The ladies in the field. This (to me) was just filler. What was the purpose of this part of the storyline? I found it a distraction. Sepinwall says:
Though the scenes at Paradise with GJ and her flock at first felt like they belonged in a different show, and didn't factor into the mystery part of things, I thought they ultimately worked. Some of it is the charge of the Holly Hunter/Jane Campion reunion, and just seeing Hunter give this weird, still performance. Some of it is the way the setting allowed Campion to explore her usual areas of interest about power, gender politics, feminism, etc., but in an unconventional way.
Sorry, I don't buy this explanation. Ok, MAYBE they contributed to the strangeness of the town, but ultimately I think they served no purpose except to distract me from the story.

Am I glad I watched it? On the fence, but leaning towards "yes" because I was nicely entertained for some number of hours. I just wish they had concluded the story in a more satisfying manner.
dbranco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:04 AM   #14
sharkster

Yeah, this one just got strangerer and strangerer. Extremely poor use of the massively talented Holly Hunter, IMO.

Agree about the whole Paradise part - It didn't contribute a thing to the show.

I'm glad it's over. Anybody going to watch their next series - Rectify?

I also see that 'Push Girls' is coming back in June. I feel like I might be the only one who watched this show, but I enjoyed it very much. Glad there will be a Season two.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:46 PM   #15
Idearat

I enjoyed it. Seeing Elizabeth Moss in this show while she's also playing her 1960's role on Mad Men showed off her talents. ( with this one showing her body as well )

I was pretty sure that the Al was either the father or involved about 1/2 way through the series, he was a bit too creepy with all the kids he was "helping", and too abrupt with them at the coffee shop. The meeting with Matt in the middle of the lake to accept a bundle that looked like money made him look like he was dirty. The roofies that Jamie had and Robin's mysterious blackout at Al's house hinted why Tui didn't know who the father was.

I liked the women at Paradise, I just took them to be another of the odd group of characters in this isolated community. They were there to help Robin's mom, Tui when she ran away and and Robin when she showed up drunk and depressed.

My only confusion was how an Australian police detective who's on vacation in N.Z could just start working there. I could see her helping out as consultant in the first episode, but she ended up working there for months. She even got fired and re-hired by the locals.
Idearat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:48 PM   #16
DLiquid
Progressive User

I watched this on Netflix and thought it was fantastic. While the story was good, the main highlights for me were the acting, the cinematography, and the breathtaking scenery. It was terrible that the boy fell off a cliff to his death, but that scene was shot just beautifully. I loved how we see it from Johnno's perspective, the pursuer's perspective, and then Robin's perspective.

I wasn't bothered by the ending at all. In fact, I thought it was rather clever, and tied in with the events much better than if Matt had been the father. Tui had no idea how she had become pregnant or who the father was, hence "no one." Brilliant. Of course, with 30 minutes left in the final episode, it became predictable that David was involved, but I really didn't suspect him strongly up until then.

What was more strange to me is how both Robin's and Johnno's fathers "changed" toward the end, with that odd moment there when they were siblings and Robin seemed to want some forbidden love. That was just... odd.

Holly Hunter and her clan were definitely weird too. They seemed like something out of a Tom Robbins novel, only without the humor.

I hope Jane Campion does something else like this in the future.
DLiquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:07 PM   #17
DLiquid
Progressive User

One thing that bugged me at first, but I grew to appreciate as the story went on, is how we are dropped into this world with very little backstory about the characters or their relationships. As the series progresses, we learn more, but there is no attempt to explain everything.

Another strange thing was that this seemed like a long movie, with the episodes ending at random points of the story. All of a sudden the credits screen would just pop up, with no real "ending" to the episode. Since I watched this on Netflix, this was no big deal, since I could just move on to the next episode, but I wonder if this is how it was originally intended to air.
DLiquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:21 PM   #18
Cainebj

I just finished the mini-series in a marathon viewing.

Elisabeth Moss was brilliant.
Jane Campion doing a mini-series was fantastic.

It did recall Twin Peaks and The Killing in having a story play out with the underlying plot being a missing girl.

The 30 minute ending made perfect sense to me -
Something was up with Al from the beginning - his turning a blind eye to what Matt was doing made it clear he was a dirty cop - owning a 2 million dollar mansion - ignoring the death of the pedofile - tipping off Matt to do things to get rid of evidence and problems.

Holly Hunter and the crazy commune ladies in Paradise.
Did seem like another show but OK.

Did we ever find out if Matt was Elisabeth Moss' biological father? Al tells the BF that Matt is not his father but they seemed to deliberately leave out her results.

Great mini-series.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:55 PM   #19
Marco
Yes, Mr. Tony

Just finished Netflixing this.

1. If Mat was Robin's father and thought he was Johno's father, why would he let them go to prom together? We see him being fiercely protective of his kids at other times.

2. I get the possibility that Tui was actually roofied and raped by unknown men, including maybe Al. But if so, why did she shoot her own dad when she got the chance? For that matter, why did Tui run away at all?

3. If Robin thinks Johno set her up to be gang-raped on prom night, why would she want to get within 50 miles of him ever again?

Last edited by Marco : 05-28-2013 at 06:06 PM.
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:46 PM   #20
Idearat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco View Post
Just finished Netflixing this.

1. If Mat was Robin's father and thought he was Johno's father, why would he let them go to prom together? We see him being fiercely protective of his kids at other times.

2. I get the possibility that Tui was actually roofied and raped by unknown men, including maybe Al. But if so, why did she shoot her own dad when she got the chance? For that matter, why did Tui run away at all?

3. If Robin thinks Johno set her up to be gang-raped on prom night, why would she want to get within 50 miles of him ever again?
Here's my take on it.

1: Matt wasn't Robin's father. He made that up to mess with her head.

2: Tui shot her dad since he wanted to kill her baby. She wasn't all that fond of her dad to begin with, so it wasn't a hard choice. She ran off since her dad wouldn't have let her have it.

3: Robin didn't know what was up with Johnno when she was being raped. When he revealed more information she started questioning everything, but likely never was convinced he was responsible.
Idearat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 09:10 AM   #21
kcarl75

Just finished watching over the Christmas break. Great series. Highly recommend.

Not sure about Johnno's ultimate role in the rape. I'm going with him not being involved, and not being able to stop it has caused his tremendous guilt through the years.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:55 PM   #22
zalusky

Just finished binging last night. I like that it was only 7 episodes and they didn't completely wander like Twin Peaks.

The bit with them telling Johnno he wasn't Matt's son seemed like it was thrown in at the last moment to remove the eww factor of him and Robin and to allow for continuing their relationship even to go so far as adopting the child. IE redemption for the one she gave away.

While I think the Paradise camp was over written I do see this as a womens story all the way and that place was essentially a place for them to run to as a recluse.

All the characters Tui, Robin, her mother went there as an escape. It's not clear to me though that the incarnation they gave to Holly Hunter really did all that much for the story though.

As mentioned I am still wondering if Johnno was in on the Robin rape. He never did answer the question. All he had to do was say "No" as Robin said and he didn't.