TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-27-2013, 12:16 PM   #1
JonM in MN

Roamio Plus, Mini, and MoCa

Hey all --- was a loyal Tivo user ten years ago, but left when I went HDTV. Defended Comcast's service and hardware for years online, finally gave up on the hardware and got my Roamio Plus and three Minis last night.

Roamio Plus box is in my family room, directly above my wired/wireless router in my LL. Tried to connect via Moca to the internet with no luck, wireless worked fine. Setup was smooth, put the first Mini in my BR, connected the coax and got nada for over an hour. No connection.

Thought I might be investing in some powerline adapters, but now think I may just need to wait and see if the Mini eventually sees the Roamio? FYI, had a Comcast Multi-room in the fam room previously, it was connected to the internet and it connected to a satellite box in my BR just fine. Also --- have a guestroom with no coax connection, possible to use powerline ethernet in that room and MoCa everywhere else? Roamio seems to only do one type of connection at a time...

Wait to see if the MoCa connection in my BR takes? Sorry if this has already been talked to death, I've looked and not quite seen this scenario, my knowledge of networking is at least ten years out of date.

TIA---
JonM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 12:42 PM   #2
tatergator1

It would appear the issue is that you haven't properly established the MoCA network. Both the Roamio Plus and Mini's have MoCA capabilities, but a complete MoCA network has to exist.

When you were trying to setup MoCA between the Roamio Plus and the Mini, it sounds like you didn't have an Ethernet cable plugged into the Roamio Plus. There are two ways to create a MoCA network with Tivos. You either run Ethernet from your router to the Roamio and then tell the Roamio "bridge" the connection to create the MoCA network, or you install a MoCA Ethernet adapter at the router. There has to be a direct, wired link between the MoCA network and your router.

Here's the Tivo networking page for a complete discussion.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 03:46 PM   #3
berkinet

From the page tatergator1 pointed to, you want to
Create and use a MoCA network to connect your minis to the Roamio+
berkinet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:14 AM   #4
JonM in MN

Worked once I connected the Roamio to ethernet. Thanks!
JonM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote