TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-27-2013, 03:35 PM   #31
jimmypowder

Quote:
Originally Posted by uw69 View Post
A thread about happy TiVo owners and the unsilent minority can't resist spreading the word about their TiVo issues. Start your own thread!

I suspect this thread will be locked soon.

Sorry to rain on your Tivo lovefest .It really is a worthless thread anyway.

All the thread does is imply the Tivo is flawless .Hardly would be my response.
jimmypowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 03:53 PM   #32
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

I'm glad someone made this thread, only thing that could improve it would be some poll options.

Since folks not having issues are horribly under-represented in most forums, having a positive thread is always welcome.
Old 12-27-2013, 03:58 PM   #33
Mike Lang
Super Moderator

Reminder: Post about products and services. Do NOT post negatively about other members.
Mike Lang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:07 PM   #34
dcpmark

Roamio Pro + 3 Minis + Fios + MoCA = happiness for me. This is what the DVR experience should have been all along. Just need folders to organize everything and PROPER Amazon support for the Minis, and it would be perfect for me!
dcpmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:58 PM   #35
The TiVo Dude

I'm not trying to imply TiVos - or Roamio are flawless. Plenty of good information posted in this thread and others that will prove that's not the case.

My point was only to say, that the TV experience of Roamio + minis is working great for me.

...which I suppose is kinda of a pointless statement...

The TiVo Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 06:48 AM   #36
elwaylite

I've owned a S2, S3 Premiere and Roamio Basic. All used ofor OTA recordings and Amazon VOD HD downloads of tv shows.

The Basic is one of the best DVR's Ive ever owned for my usage, and the fact I could put my own HDD in so easily was a big win.
Directv HR44/200
elwaylite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 07:39 AM   #37
replaytv
I <3 Wintergreen

I love all my TiVos as does my insignificant other. (In fact, I am afraid I am 3rd place behind her cat and a little boy she baby sits. )
TiVo certainly isn't perfect, but what is?! I watch less TV but get much more out of it, and watch less commercials and topics on the news that I have no interest in.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:03 AM   #38
uw69

This was a poll earlier on Roamio user satisfaction:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=508915

Results are pretty dramatic favoring the Roamio. It would be interesting to run the same poll after the Roamio has been out for a year to see if a significant change in opinion occurs.
1 Roamio plus 470 hours
3 TiVo Mini's
uw69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:09 AM   #39
aristoBrat

My house is very happy with the current TiVo setup (Roamio Pro + 3 Minis).

Everyone is beyond happy with the speed of the UI, having had a Premiere in the living room for years. I'm happy with the built-in MoCa networking support -- got to remove the external MoCa adapters (and cabling) that I was running on the previous TiVo setup. Very happy that the Minis in the bedrooms are utterly silent, are a fraction of the size of the "full" TiVos that they replaced, and that they don't require a cable card or tuning adapter. Much smaller/cleaner footprint (and saves money). Very happy that they use less power, also. Love having just one spot to setup the recordings, vs having the recordings spread across four different spots throughout the house. Didn't think anyone would use the streaming, but visiting family the last week, it got used a lot (downloading before we left, and OOH once we left the house).

Flawless? Hardly. We have a Sony TV that causes a Mini to constantly reboot when the TV is powered off (fixed with a $9 HDMI switch), and the Minis will occasionally get disconnected towards the end of watching a show. There was also a big issue with getting the cable card paired with the Roamio until I lowered the SNR by putting multiple splitters in-line with it, and TiVo tech support was utterly useless figuring that out. I had no problem with the SNR level in the same location (using the same wires) with a S3, Premiere, and XL4. And I had to buy a Roku box to get Amazon Prime streaming because I was tired of waiting for TiVo/Amazon to move on that.

What were flawless were the cable company's DVR - they ran like champs (at least for the few months we had them). Despite the fact that they were technically flawless, nobody in the house was happy with UI or feature set, so it was a short-lived experiment.

Anyhow, despite not being flawless, my house is happy with TiVo. Which I'm glad with, as it's a much more cost-effective solution for us vs cable or satellite DVRs.
Series 3 OLED (x2)
DirecTiVo (x3)
Series 1
aristoBrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:59 AM   #40
Sixto

TC CLUB MEMBER
My Roamio & Mini Observations: http://forums.solidsignal.com/showth...p-Observations

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sixto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 12:11 PM   #41
markp99
TakoKichi

Extremely pleased with our roamio! It has been rock solid since day one.

My only nit are the. SD menu remnants. Seems such an easy thing to address...
markp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 06:32 PM   #42
laria
Librocubicularist

After setting up the new Roamio I am definitely super happy with it. The only annoying things so far are minor... the SD menus and the lack of Amazon Prime video.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:19 PM   #43
Time_Lord

For the most part I'm happy with the Roamio after I figured out the craziness with the WiFi not actually shutting down and causing the Roamio to bounce between ethernet and Wireless even though the menus showed WiFi was not active (It was)

I also dislike the remote control, TiVo has sent me a new one to see if it solves the RF issue (the TiVo stops responding to RF until it see IR from the remote, then it'll go back to RF mode), and the other big issue is the remote is symmetrical in shape without anything to quickly distinguish which is the front or back of the remote, at least with the Premier remote it was flat only on bottom front and the bottom back was ribbed, the new one is flat all the way across and is smooth on the front and back bottom.
Time_Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 09:25 PM   #44
russg
UID=0

I used S1 and S2 Tivos for years without issue. A hard drive failure or two over the years.

I replaced them all with a Roamio Plus and Mini. Use FIOS and gigabit Ethernet and really have nothing but positive feedback so far. I have read a lot of threads about issues but so far I haven't had issues.

Probably will upgrade to a 3GB disk at some point and buy another mini but that's about it.
russg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:35 AM   #45
dlfl
Cranky old novice

I bet if you sort the responses on whether a Tuning Adapter is being used, the satisfaction levels will be significantly higher among those NOT using a TA.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:40 AM   #46
PaperFriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mburnno View Post
OK, so I am going to rain on your little parade a little here. I used to love Tivo until the Roamio's came out. It was better then the cable company's DVR and more cost savings. This all changed for me when the ugly Tivo Roamino laided an egg. At first, I was super excited that Tivo had finally came out with an integrated streamer and a faster processor to speed up the menus, then I quickly realized how much of a dud this new DVR was.

I started having transfer problems from room to room using the MRV feature then I had problems just transferring programs to another DVR (Not streaming). I still can't get either of the Tivo Streams to work or for that matter to even setup correctly. When you call Tivo support they yank you around like its all your fault. I have never gotten a straight answer from Tivo as to why my stuff doesn't work. I hate that I paid so much money for both of my units only to call support and be told it's your network and in reality some of the issues were on Tivo's side and they use a cop out story to get you off the phone. I have gone as far as reformatting my Tivo's just to prove to them the issue was on their side.

Tivo is the only device on my network that still refuses to work properly when everything else works fine. I will go even one step further and say that the old Premiers and the first generation Stream worked great on my network until the Roamio's came out then all hell broke loose.

Now some of you may have not experience any problems with your Tivo's so good for you and I hope it stays that way for you. If you ever do start to experience the same problems that some of us have experience then you will start to understand the frustration we have for so many months.
I was using the top of the line Asus Router (The newest AC model) and brand new Asus switches and I had network issues and occasional mini disconnects. Tried everything with no luck. Then i replaced my router with a netgear r7000 and netgear switches and now I have no problems at all. My tivos were the only hardware devices that had issues on the asus network.
PaperFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:04 AM   #47
spaldingclan

so I set up my Roamio to turn off/on my tv and change the volume on my Sherwood AV rec.....but how do I tell it to turn on/off my av rec?
spaldingclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 04:37 PM   #48
CloudAtlas

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristoBrat View Post
What were flawless were the cable company's DVR - they ran like champs (at least for the few months we had them). Despite the fact that they were technically flawless, nobody in the house was happy with UI or feature set, so it was a short-lived experiment.
It was flawless because your cable company was the one who installed the DVR and supports it (doing line filters or splitters). And the type of networking they will support is limited. The cable company's DVR isn't saddled with switched video TA box and CableCard nightmares.

You'd have the exact same experience if your cable vendor supported TiVo.

Cable is responsible for the CableCard, then later the switched video TA box roadblocks. It's the cable companies that give out used faulty CableCards, who's support still can't pair a CableCard properly, or show no knowledge of TiVo, the company responsible for the DVR market.

Note once TWC became TiVo knowledgeable all the problems blamed on my TiVo box went away. RCN, my current cable company, setup TiVo in my home 1-2-3. The only hold-up was the on site tech had to keep calling up to find a support person who was capable of getting HBO+Showtime permissioned.
CloudAtlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 04:52 PM   #49
mm2margaret
Meagan

I'm pretty happy with my Roamio/Mini combination. Nice big hard drive, single season pass list, and no issues so far viewing a single Now Playing list on the mini.

Now, if Tivo would only get serious about really supporting DLNA/Web Videos (MP4, for god's sake!!!!), that would be fantastic. I mean, pytivo is fantastic, but direct support for MP4 (boy, would I love support for ISO's too) would be a real plus.

But, with pytivo, most everything transcodes just fine, so that concern is relatively minor.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:10 PM   #50
JohnnyO
Crimper

Quote:
Originally Posted by The TiVo Dude View Post
Anybody else really glad they have TiVo?
Yes, I am!

TiVo, in general has been a very positive enhancement to watching TV (and now, other sources as well).

Starting with DirecTivos, moving to TiVoHD, and now Roamio with a stream and a Mini - fantastic! The increased performance of the Roamio and the much improved HD menus (over the TiVoHD) are great enhancements. Now, with the new NetFlix App, I hardly ever turn on the Apple TV.

Keep it up, TiVo!

John
JohnnyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 06:12 PM   #51
MScottC

Another very happy customer. Yes there have been some glitches, but with any piece of technical gear, there are always going to be glitches. Cars have recalls, computers get updates all the time, I've got a control room full of high end video gear that will always have bugs. It's just the nature of the beast. I had a networking issue early on with my Roamio to Mini connection, fixed it by patching around a specific router. Within a couple of months, TiVo announced a fix for that issue. To the naysayers that claim a manufacturer should get it 100% correct on the first issue, it isn't going to happen that way. If they waited till they tested for every possible piece of support/networking/cablecard/HDMI TV/etc/ gear, they'd never be able to release a cutting edge product. Get it out there, we early adapters will be the testers, and the product comes out at a fair price. Test everything completely and it will cost us a fortune... sorry for the rant.
MScottC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:07 AM   #52
mburnno

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperFriend View Post
I was using the top of the line Asus Router (The newest AC model) and brand new Asus switches and I had network issues and occasional mini disconnects. Tried everything with no luck. Then i replaced my router with a netgear r7000 and netgear switches and now I have no problems at all. My tivos were the only hardware devices that had issues on the asus network.
Were you hardwired or wireless with the Asus router? If everything else worked except the Tivo's, I would think the Tivo's were the problem. I just don't believe that you should have to change your home network setup just to get Tivo to work. Some home owners spend a lot of money on their network setup and on good reliable equipment that follow standard network "best practices". I am glad it worked for you.
mburnno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:11 AM   #53
mburnno

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudAtlas View Post
It was flawless because your cable company was the one who installed the DVR and supports it (doing line filters or splitters). And the type of networking they will support is limited. The cable company's DVR isn't saddled with switched video TA box and CableCard nightmares.
Comcast uses cable cards in their own boxes. Sometimes you can't see them but they are there.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:24 AM   #54
mburnno

Quote:
Originally Posted by MScottC View Post
Another very happy customer. Yes there have been some glitches, but with any piece of technical gear, there are always going to be glitches. Cars have recalls, computers get updates all the time, I've got a control room full of high end video gear that will always have bugs. It's just the nature of the beast. I had a networking issue early on with my Roamio to Mini connection, fixed it by patching around a specific router. Within a couple of months, TiVo announced a fix for that issue. To the naysayers that claim a manufacturer should get it 100% correct on the first issue, it isn't going to happen that way. If they waited till they tested for every possible piece of support/networking/cablecard/HDMI TV/etc/ gear, they'd never be able to release a cutting edge product. Get it out there, we early adapters will be the testers, and the product comes out at a fair price. Test everything completely and it will cost us a fortune... sorry for the rant.
My biggest rant is not that Tivo has caught every single bug with every single device. It is more of Tivo should be 95% complete before releasing it and at the very least train you support people properly. Let's face it, most companies do not really care about the customer but more about profits. This is the way most companies portray their image to their base. Their PR people may spin this a little to show the company in a better light.

The CEO of the company has one job in mind and that is "Share holder value", how can I show a profit this quarter. They can only do this by rushing a product out the door when it is 80% stable, this way it seems like they can start getting their ROI from the money the company has spent on R&D / Marketing / Labor.

From a customers stay point, we buy the over price product (Yes, no one force us to) expecting to have a relative bug free experience and when we don't that is where companies loose customers loyalty.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:23 AM   #55
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Comcast uses cable cards in their own boxes. Sometimes you can't see them but they are there.
The problem with both the cable companies and Verizon is that while they use CableCARDs in their devices, they don't have to pair them since they're treating them as a single device in their inventory system. Over time I've learned this is the majority of issues, bad pairing, or phone reps that can't properly enter the requisite long strings of numbers and letters correctly and in the correct fields.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:00 AM   #56
aristoBrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
Over time I've learned this is the majority of issues, bad pairing, or phone reps that can't properly enter the requisite long strings of numbers and letters correctly and in the correct fields.
Agreed, but after this many years of that situation, isn't it now an "expected" occurrence, and couldn't TiVo do something a little better to help out?

For example, TiVo has a pretty good support page that guides owners through the manual process of delving into the "Conditional Access" part of the CableCARD menu, looking at values of fields displayed on the screen, and cross-referencing them with the support page. Why not go the extra step and have the TiVo software do this for the owner?

Same thing with the Roamio situation where 6 tuners can't be used because the cable card/TA firmware is outdated. Why not have an option to run a test where the TiVo can determine how many tuners it can reliably use, and suggest/give the option to the owner that the extras be disabled until the time the firmware is updated (and then watch for that to happen)?

I've been lucky enough to have a TiVo that's not experienced any of these issues, but I think that TiVo has some room for improvement when it encounters these "not uncommon" issues relating from cable companies either not properly activating/pairing the cable cards properly, or running old version of firmware.
Series 3 OLED (x2)
DirecTiVo (x3)
Series 1
Old 12-30-2013, 10:28 AM   #57
laria
Librocubicularist

After this many years, I can't believe that you still can't pair your own cable cards on a web interface. Comcast at least has a website where one can activate the cable cards. Now just let us type in our own pairing information, guys...
Old 12-30-2013, 10:42 AM   #58
dahacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
After this many years, I can't believe that you still can't pair your own cable cards on a web interface. Comcast at least has a website where one can activate the cable cards. Now just let us type in our own pairing information, guys...
Money. It all comes to Money. They make more money when you get frustrated and just rent their DVR instead. Most everywhere has a Cable Monopoly or Duopoly. So as long as they just do barely enough to keep the regulators off their back they will do no more. There simply isn't any reason why the Tivo can't talk directly to the Cable company computers and get it configured automatically in two seconds.

Just be glad the Federal government forced access to begin with. So we are stuck with cablecards until the FCC comes to their senses or there is new legislation.
dahacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:37 AM   #59
mburnno

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahacker View Post
Money. It all comes to Money. They make more money when you get frustrated and just rent their DVR instead. Most everywhere has a Cable Monopoly or Duopoly. So as long as they just do barely enough to keep the regulators off their back they will do no more. There simply isn't any reason why the Tivo can't talk directly to the Cable company computers and get it configured automatically in two seconds.

Just be glad the Federal government forced access to begin with. So we are stuck with cablecards until the FCC comes to their senses or there is new legislation.
I tend to agree with you on the money suggestion. You have to figure that Tivo really is the enemy to the cable companies that have their own DVR solution. I remember once kicking out two Techs from Comcast because they were clueless on how to setup a Tivo (pairing the cards). I had told them what to do when they called their head end to activate the cards and they still couldn't get it working.

I am actually surprised that Comcast is still rolling out On Demand for Tivo since they launch their X1 platform. I remember reading somewhere that the update X2 should start sometime in January.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:15 PM   #60
aristoBrat

Quote:
I tend to agree with you on the money suggestion. You have to figure that Tivo really is the enemy to the cable companies that have their own DVR solution.
IIRC, Comcast lost 129K TV subscribers last quarter, and 117K TV subscribers the quarter before that. If other cable companies are seeing similar results, I wonder if they'll start changing their tune and actually start supporting tech that isn't theirs but keeps people around and subscribing to their TV service.
Series 3 OLED (x2)
DirecTiVo (x3)
Series 1

Last edited by aristoBrat : 12-30-2013 at 04:53 PM. Reason: M to K