TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-30-2013, 02:37 AM   #1
Shawn95GT
Tivo, in HD!

All my S3s are dieing!

It's funny, they are dieing in the opposite order they were purchased.

First the Tivo HD died. I didn't feel too bad about this one as it was a 'cheap' retention purchase and I was paying the grandfather rates on it. I called Tivo and replaced it with a 2-tuner Premier with ATSC support.

Then the original 3 Lifetimed S3s all started dieing. #3 died when I moved. If I let it boot loop enough times it would come up and be stable. It eventually stopped coming up and got shelved. I'll fix it when i need it.

#2 just up and stopped outputting video all together. I replaced the power supply and couldn't get past the welcome screen. I swapped the 1TB upgrade HDD from #3 into it and it booted right up. Clear and delete - good to go.

#3 is just now starting flake out like #1 did. I suppose I should just order the power supply now and get it over with.

I suppose after 7 years of service I can't be too upset. I'm just curious if any others are starting to see the S3 hardware roll over.

I might have to break down and buy a base model Roamio with lifetime for some 4-tuner fun. I'm just not quite sure I'm ready to drop $700 for the privilege. Sadly this is less than I paid for each of my S3s before service .
1x S3 Tivo WD10EVVS 1TB upgrade
1x Tivo Premier - WD20EURS 2TB upgrade in the works
Shawn95GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:42 AM   #2
uw69

It's the universe's way telling you it's time to move on!

I went through replacing capacitors and hard drives and basically keep my S3 OLED's running for many years. I still have one in service today OTA. Enough new features finally got me on the Roamio bandwagon, but I hear ya on cost. It hurts!
1 Roamio plus 470 hours
4 TiVo Mini's
uw69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 02:11 PM   #3
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn95GT View Post
It's funny, they are dieing in the opposite order they were purchased.

First the Tivo HD died. I didn't feel too bad about this one as it was a 'cheap' retention purchase and I was paying the grandfather rates on it. I called Tivo and replaced it with a 2-tuner Premier with ATSC support.

Then the original 3 Lifetimed S3s all started dieing. #3 died when I moved. If I let it boot loop enough times it would come up and be stable. It eventually stopped coming up and got shelved. I'll fix it when i need it.

#2 just up and stopped outputting video all together. I replaced the power supply and couldn't get past the welcome screen. I swapped the 1TB upgrade HDD from #3 into it and it booted right up. Clear and delete - good to go.

#3 is just now starting flake out like #1 did. I suppose I should just order the power supply now and get it over with.

I suppose after 7 years of service I can't be too upset. I'm just curious if any others are starting to see the S3 hardware roll over.

I might have to break down and buy a base model Roamio with lifetime for some 4-tuner fun. I'm just not quite sure I'm ready to drop $700 for the privilege. Sadly this is less than I paid for each of my S3s before service .
Lifetimed original S3s, the ones with the OLED display on the front, have value in that the crypto chip can be transferred to another motherboard by someone who knows how to work with Surface Mount Devices.

I'm beginning to suspect that some of the capacitors on the motherboards themselves may also suffer from "capacitor plague", but without schematics and service manuals it won't be as easy to track down which ones need replacing as it is on the power supplies.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:35 AM   #4
Shawn95GT
Tivo, in HD!

I'll probably nurse the OLED S3s until The 4 Tuner Roamio gives me enough reason to switch. I'm antenna only so the gains aren't as great as the 'bigger / better' Roamios. I'm just wondering when broadcast TV as we know it will be dead. I'd hate to put more money into a dead platform.

I'll buy 2 more power supplies and I suppose it's as good a reason as any to install some 2TB drives .
Old 12-31-2013, 02:10 AM   #5
Wil
Senile Member

Quote:
I'll probably nurse the OLED S3s until The 4 Tuner Roamio gives me enough reason to switch.
I hear your words, and others say this, but I simply don't understand it.

I'm Tivo from day one. But the day I can't keep Tivos going as an open platform, meaning the DirecTivo HR10-250s, the SA Tivo s3s and HDs, I don't go on to other Tivos, I go on to any of the other superior platforms. All Tivo has left after years of engineering decay is they are open boxes, and that ended with the HD.
Wil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:50 PM   #6
Shawn95GT
Tivo, in HD!

New Power supply and a 2TB drive + WinMFS brought my CBS Tivo back to life.
I'll swap PS #3 into my third S3 this afternoon. I picked up a second 2TB drive but I think I'm going to try to upgrade the Premier since the limping Tivo already has a 1TB drive.

Long live the OTA Tivos!

All Roamio really brings to the table for me is 4 tuners in one box and the ability to use Tivo Mini (and pay another $5.99/mo).
Old 01-08-2014, 10:36 PM   #7
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
I'm just curious if any others are starting to see the S3 hardware roll over.
My second S3 died a few months ago, not long after I'd replaced it with a Roamio, returned its CableCards, and put it on an old TV as OTA- and network-only. I'm just glad it didn't happen before that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:29 AM   #8
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wil View Post
I hear your words, and others say this, but I simply don't understand it.

I'm Tivo from day one. But the day I can't keep Tivos going as an open platform, meaning the DirecTivo HR10-250s, the SA Tivo s3s and HDs, I don't go on to other Tivos, I go on to any of the other superior platforms. All Tivo has left after years of engineering decay is they are open boxes, and that ended with the HD.
Maybe I just don't understand your jargon. What does "open platform" mean? And what is an "SA" Tivo? (SA means Scientific Atlanta to me -- now Cisco.)

Most puzzling is: what are the "superior platforms"?

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:00 AM   #9
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
What does "open platform" mean?
He means "can be hacked". It's a misnomer, since none of them are open by design. The anti-hacking measures have just been more successful in Series 4 and 5.

Quote:
And what is an "SA" Tivo?
Standalone (as opposed to DirecTiVo).

Quote:
Most puzzling is: what are the "superior platforms"?
Beats me.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 09:53 AM   #10
squiddohio

Good questions about "open platform, "the SA TiVo," and "superior platforms."
But I checked in to find out what "dieing" meant.
squiddohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:07 AM   #11
Shawn95GT
Tivo, in HD!

die = not work.

The one that died when I moved just would not boot. It would display Welcome please wait, then the alomost there screen... then reboot. Power supply fixed it.

One just went black on the OLED and had no video output. This one got a power supply and then would not boot past the Welcome screen. I then replaced the HDD and it came up without issue.

The last one would bootloop for hours on end, but if it was able to boot up it came up ok. I replaced the power supply and it now boots as expected.

This is what the bad caps look like:

Old 01-10-2014, 11:13 AM   #12
squiddohio

Oh. You meant "dying."
I should have guessed that.
squiddohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:52 PM   #13
dbenrosen

My S3 (OLED display) just died today. It had been funky with pixelation about 2 months ago, but taking it out of the cabinet for better cooling got it working well. Today I came home and it is in the constant reboot cycle. I can't see buying a power supply for $100, as I suspect that is the problem. Of course, if it isn't, that's $100 out the window. I don't think it is the hard drive. Replacing the capacitors is a better (re cheaper) option, but I don't really have time until the weekend. Ugh!!!

I've already replaced the HD with a 2TB unit a few years ago. I guess I can get a Roamio and then replace the capacitors at my leisure.
dbenrosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:27 PM   #14
Shawn95GT
Tivo, in HD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiddohio View Post
Oh. You meant "dying."
I should have guessed that.
gotchya - public shaming accepted
Old 01-13-2014, 07:30 PM   #15
Shawn95GT
Tivo, in HD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbenrosen View Post
My S3 (OLED display) just died today. It had been funky with pixelation about 2 months ago, but taking it out of the cabinet for better cooling got it working well. Today I came home and it is in the constant reboot cycle. I can't see buying a power supply for $100, as I suspect that is the problem. Of course, if it isn't, that's $100 out the window. I don't think it is the hard drive. Replacing the capacitors is a better (re cheaper) option, but I don't really have time until the weekend. Ugh!!!

I've already replaced the HD with a 2TB unit a few years ago. I guess I can get a Roamio and then replace the capacitors at my leisure.
It was only worth it to me for the units with lifetime service. For my one MSD unit Tivo wasn't willing to do a retention deal on a Roamio for me but they did a good deal on a Premier.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:30 PM   #16
dbenrosen

Quote:
It was only worth it to me for the units with lifetime service. For my one MSD unit Tivo wasn't willing to do a retention deal on a Roamio for me but they did a good deal on a Premier.
Mine is lifetime. All of my TiVos have always been lifetimed because I keep them a long time. My original series 1 lasted 10 years (and a couple of hard drives) before I retired it.
dbenrosen is offline   Reply With Quote