TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-27-2013, 03:39 PM   #1
weinesq

Roamio, TWC and the Adapter - not playing nice

I cannot be the ONLY person on planet Earth...but here goes.

Upgraded to Roamio. Attached adapter (Motorola - firmware updated yadayada) and I get the SDV channels. Then...I leave a SDV channel on a tuner (either taping while I am out or just leave it on before bed) and I wake up and "Tuning Adapter Missing) and the adapter is blinking. Third adapter btw. So basically the adapter keeps failing and the tivo sees the adapter is missing so it stops everything and no longer records - it just stays on the missing screen until I tune back into the SDV channel and the adapter re-sets. I can be watching an SDV channel and the same thing happens - the missing adapter error pops up and I lose all SDV signals (and the adapter is blinking).

I realize that the SDV channel times out -- but that shouldn't crash the adapter. I just wish an angel would hear my cry for help. Because TWC does NOT understand my problem and TIVO suggested I give up.

TWC blames Tivo. Tivo blames TWC. I have loved Tivo my whole life but the end is near. Please tell me I am NOT alone. It would make the pain easier.
weinesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 03:54 PM   #2
tatergator1

What TWC support phone number have you been calling? If you've not talked to the National CableCard hotline, I'd suggest a call to them as they are significantly more knowledgeable regarding Tivo/CableCard/Tuning Adapters.

The TWC CableCard number is: 1-866-606-5889

Also, where are you located? Time Warner Cable typically uses Cisco/Scientific Atlanta equipment, so the fact that you say your TA is Motorola is interesting.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 04:03 PM   #3
mrizzo80

Definitely call the CC # listed above. They will probably have you read some signal levels on the TA Diagnostics screen to them. Sounds like the TA can't stay connected to the head end -- might be a signal problem.
mrizzo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:33 PM   #4
Fred C Dobbs

It takes a while to get through, but all the techs are knowledgeable about the TA/CC issues.

I was was on with one for about 90 minutes, but they got the job done.

FCD
Fred C Dobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 12:48 PM   #5
Davisadm
TiVo is Back!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred C Dobbs View Post
It takes a while to get through, but all the techs are knowledgeable about the TA/CC issues.
FCD
You are kidding, right??!!??!!

With all the dealings I have with TWC, I have found that the general help number "techs" for the most part are not knowledgable, & just read from a script.

The CC number is better, as long as there is not a problem with pairing and/or the tuning adapter.

I just don't deal with the regular "techs" anymore.
Davisadm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 03:50 PM   #6
gbruyn

It seems to be if the tuning adapter is BLINKING then IT (and it only) has lost signal. The tuning adapter should be able to "lock" without even being plugged into USB (from what I understand). I believe it is a signal issue or tuning adapter issue alone and has nothing to do with the Tivo. So take the Tivo out of the equation and make TWC understand that it is a signal/tuning adapter issue. See how long it takes for it to loose "lock" without it even being plugged into the Tivo.
Old 12-28-2013, 05:28 PM   #7
marklyn

I had very similar problems. The tech replaced two coax connectors in my attic and my signal improved well enough to keep the Tuning Adapter from losing it's lock and blinking.
If I wanted to I could also buy a cable amp to increase the signal (so I was told) but for right now, it's been solid.

Also minimize how many splitters you go through. My tech looked at a 4 way splitter I had in the attic. He said it was fine (2040 Mhz) but the "port" the coax was connected to used more dB than one of the other ports so he moved it to minimize loss. He sounded like he knew what he was talking about so I happily agreed.
MOCA
CC: Sci Atl PK802
TA: Cisco STA1520
TimeWarner Cable-Austin
marklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:51 AM   #8
dlfl
Cranky old novice

TWC = bad
Tuning Adapter = bad

TWC + TA = really bad

It does seem to vary with region. My region, SW Ohio, and the NYC region are among the worst while the LA region seems to be above average.

I also recommend the national TWC CableCARD desk: 1-866-606-5889
There is another such desk here: 1-866-532-2598
which existed before the first number. Don't know if they both go to the same place or what.

The local CSR's are supposed to know these numbers and either call them themselves or refer you to them. But, typical of TWC poor support, most of them aren't even aware of these national desks, at least in my experience.

A close friend uses a TWC DVR and their support for those is poor too. Many truck rolls and wasted material have been expended on issues that could have been solved at the head end.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:49 AM   #9
dtivouser

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
Also, where are you located? Time Warner Cable typically uses Cisco/Scientific Atlanta equipment, so the fact that you say your TA is Motorola is interesting.
TWC uses Motorola Cable Cards and TAs where I live too. This is former Adelphia territory.
dtivouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 06:24 PM   #10
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtivouser View Post
TWC uses Motorola Cable Cards and TAs where I live too. This is former Adelphia territory.
That explains the variation. Thanks for the info.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote