TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 78 votes, 4.95 average.
Old 12-28-2013, 01:17 PM   #781
tomm1079

you guys make it hard to not upgrade.

Price matched a basic with amazon and got the 50 and 15 dollar gift cards.

on a side note: i have 2 - 2 turner premieres now and a 4 tuner elite and a tivo HD i need to sell

The HD is the only one that does not have lifetime.
tomm1079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 01:59 PM   #782
Scopeman
2 x Basic Roamio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jterwelp View Post
Has anyone purchased a Roamio from Best Buy after Monday of this week and received a $50 gift card? I know it was stated earlier in the thread that this deal ended on Monday, 12/2, but it is still listed on the Best Buy web site (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/tivo-roa...99215000050004) with no expiration date that I can find.
I have purchased Roamio twice in the last two days, because Best Buy not only give out the $50 GC after the Amazon price match but throw in an additional $15 GC right now for any purchase over $100. So $149, plus you get $65 in GCs back from Best Buy (which, in my case, were spent right away on ANOTHER Roamio, $149 with $65 in GCs yet again given back, which were then used on a Mini, where they matched Amazon's $86 price.) SO the total was like this:

$149 for the first Roamio
$84 for the next Roamio
$19 for the Mini

Add about 8% sales tax, and you get $273 out of pocket for a whole house upgrage of my Tivo gear.

CRAZY good deal.
Old 12-28-2013, 03:25 PM   #783
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

If you totally ignore the cost of service, sure. But good deal on the hardware alone.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 03:58 PM   #784
alyssa

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmpearl View Post
Just got my Plus last night. Got Best Buy to price match Costco for $349.99. Received $65 in gift cards on top of that.
**jealous**
do you have a link to the costco pricing? I tried searching their site & couldn't find anything.

For all your Comic-Con needs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
alyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 04:22 PM   #785
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
If you totally ignore the cost of service, sure. But good deal on the hardware alone.
Yep, it's like cell phones now, where you pay little for hardware but then get gouged on service fees.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 04:34 PM   #786
alyssa

plus for $319 free ship
http://www.onlyindecember.com/tivo-r...dvr-tcd848000/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-28-2013, 04:39 PM   #787
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyssa View Post
And they have the pro for $480
Old 12-28-2013, 04:41 PM   #788
HarperVision

And Xbox one for $399. I'm sensing a fishy website.
Old 12-28-2013, 04:41 PM   #789
midson

Likely another scam site. Looks like all the others mentioned here earlier.
midson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 04:54 PM   #790
rmpearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahty View Post
Which particular Best Buy gave you the price match with the gift cards, if you don't mind my asking? (The one particular Best Buy that I tried for a Costco price match said that their $50 gift card would effectively match the Costco price. I rather get the price match outright and not get stuck with a $50 Best Buy gift card that I'd have to use.)
I went to the Best Buy in Chandler, AZ. As long as you don't mention the Gift Cards when you're trying to do the price match you should be fine. The gift cards are automatic at the end. I couldn't find the Tivo at a Costco near me so just used the picture off of a Costco website (Costco Couple).
rmpearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 06:22 PM   #791
Loach

Quote:
Originally Posted by midson View Post
Likely another scam site. Looks like all the others mentioned here earlier.
Yep. Even the fonts and the "about us" section look strikingly similar to Sophiamart. I would guess any Tivos bought from that site will be drop-shipped from Best Buy or another legitimate retailer using credit cards stolen from Target.
Loach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 07:11 PM   #792
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
Yep. Even the fonts and the "about us" section look strikingly similar to Sophiamart. I would guess any Tivos bought from that site will be drop-shipped from Best Buy or another legitimate retailer using credit cards stolen from Target.
As a Target credit card holder, my "who cares?" attitude, which I never even expressed here, has changed a bit, towards those buying TiVos from these short-lived web stores (and knowing something's off about it).

Somebody ends up paying for credit card number theft. If (more like when), my rates go up (I'm on a variable rate, that never goes down), once it has been long enough for Target's finance company to claim it is for some other reason (other than getting the money back over the massive theft), I'll be thinking of those with such an attitude.

Losses (or false claims) paid for by insurance, or things that have fraud protection (and are hit by fraud), scammers and thieves wind up passing the cost onto consumers, in the long term.

So, thanks in advance, for the inevitable APR increase I'll see as the result of not only the scammers and thieves, but those who turn a blind eye to where their "discount" merchandise comes from and/or how it is "paid for", before being drop-shipped/fenced.

It's almost comparable to Cox Communications giving me a "free" speed increase on my internet, and more "free HD programming", which I don't ask for, only to see my bill double 6-8 months later "as a result of increased operating costs". I just love it when fraud and scams are legal, like that. Then, the next bill I'll likely see increase will be my Target card, even though I pay 3x my minimum payment due, each month, every month, before the due date.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 07:39 PM   #793
alyssa

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmpearl View Post
I couldn't find the Tivo at a Costco near me so just used the picture off of a Costco website (Costco Couple).
i am unable to find that pic from the costco site

I tried to get BB to price match the 'onlyindecember' site, no go. <yeah i know there wasn't much of a chance but i had to try>
the CS guy did point me to the list of sites bb would price match, Amazon.com, Apple.com, Bhphotovideo.com, Crutchfield.com, Dell.com, Frys.com, hhgregg.com, HP.com, HomeDepot.com, Lowes.com, Newegg.com, OfficeDepot.com, OfficeMax.com, Rakuten.com Shopping, Sears.com, Staples.com, Target.com, TigerDirect.com and Walmart.com.

nooneyouknow, i will not order from onlyindec site- to much bad karma, it's not worth it

Old 12-28-2013, 07:40 PM   #794
mrsean

I just walked out the BB in Secaucus NJ with a Roamio Basic and a Mini for $62.51. It will be giving to either a friend or my mom. I had $125 in gift cards beforehand that I was saving towards a Roamio Pro for me but the bonus $65 turned out to be too good to pass up. Of course I acted all kinds of surprised when the Magnolia salesman handed me the new gift cards, but he and the manager didn't even care to notice. My spouse said "All that time you spend watching soap operas is finally paying off". The cool thing is that I never had to produce the Amazon website to show the salesman or his manager. They already knew Amazon's price. I guess they must had pm the Basic for another customer recently. Also when I asked for the Mini pm, they asked me what Amazon was selling it for and again without me having to show anything. I was thinking of lying and saying $70, but then I didn't know if they were testing me to see if I would be honest or not.

I did tell the salesmen that Tigerdirect was selling the both Mini and the Stream for $50 AR earlier this month. The manager who was still around seemed really surprised by this. So much that I thought he might even give me the Mini for that price but the purchase and already rang and he did not say anything further plus I knew that TD does not currently have the Mini (or Stream) listed on their website.

Thanks for heads up on this great deal guys! Does anyone know if I activate both the Basic and Mini at the same time do I a discount on the Mini activation? I know it's $399 for the Basic ready because of my MSD.

Retired: DirecTiVo, Series 2 DT, TiVo HD, Premiere, Premiere 4, TiVo Stream
mrsean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 10:32 PM   #795
midson

Did the Plus/mini deal at the Tualatin, OR BB. The sales supervisor that helped me knew all about the double dipping but did it anyway. So $370 for plus and a mini after price matching and gift cards. Plus another $5+ off for using my cash rewards visa. Now the painful part; paying tivo for lifetime. Thanks to all in this thread for your reports. And let me know if you're in the market for a lifetime Tivo HD with 2GB drive!
midson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:17 PM   #796
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
i am unable to find that pic from the costco site
http://costcocouple.com/tivo-roamio-plus-dvr/

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:20 PM   #797
laria
Librocubicularist

Bummer, I wish I'd seen that before. I could have got another $50 off maybe.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:55 AM   #798
lessd

Quote:
The same ad as on http://www.electronicmegasale.com/ti...dvr-tcd848000/

I did purchase and got my Roamio +as a drop ship from Best Buy from their OH distribution center. The unit came with Best Buy shipping paper saying that I could exchange the unit or send it back to Best Buy if I needed to. I called Best Buy and said I got this Roamio + as a gift what was it worth if I wanted to exchange the unit at a nearby store, they look up the order# and told me $499 + tax, go figure. (I still have the Roamio+)

Old 12-29-2013, 11:32 AM   #799
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

That's proof right there that you got lucky using a stolen card website.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:34 AM   #800
Davisadm
TiVo is Back!!!!!!!!

Quote:
This site is a scam. They have registered many web sites and between these sites "offer" many different products. The scam is this:
You order a product.
They charge your PayPal
They order the product from BestBuy (or other big store) online, using a stolen credit card, and have BB ship to your address.
Davisadm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 03:40 PM   #801
palover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisadm View Post
This site is a scam. They have registered many web sites and between these sites "offer" many different products. The scam is this:
You order a product.
They charge your PayPal
They order the product from BestBuy (or other big store) online, using a stolen credit card, and have BB ship to your address.
Best Buy's been selling the Plus for $320 for a while now, to random credit card accts. that come up as stolen? Somehow I don't think they're that stupid. At that price I'd be shocked if they're even accepting credit card payment and the 3% charge that goes with it.
palover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 03:44 PM   #802
jntc

Quote:
Originally Posted by palover View Post
Best Buy's been selling the Plus for $320 for a while now, to random credit card accts. that come up as stolen? Somehow I don't think they're that stupid. At that price I'd be shocked if they're even accepting credit card payment and the 3% charge that goes with it.
BestBuy is selling it at full price to these 'scammers' running these sites using a stolen credit card. The 'scammers' are charging $320.
jntc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 04:25 PM   #803
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

The "For Dummies" version of one of many credit card scams:

1. Steal a credit card, like the recent Target credit/debit card account theft.*

* If you are asking "Huh, what?", then just crawl back under a rock, and keep up the good job of not keeping up with current events.

2. Buy something with that stolen account info (stolen card).

3. Accept payment from a non-stolen card, or other means.

4. Provide what you "bought" with the stolen card to the buyer.

5. Pocket whatever you sold the product for, since you never paid for it in the first place.

Simply use technology to do this in bulk, and cover your trail by re-inventing yourself (fake identity) and your means (fake web store fronts).

If you can't understand this, then please stop asking how the sites selling TiVos at, or below, cost are doing so, as there is no more simple of a way to put it, or dumb it down.

Just because the end-consumer used a valid card, or other legitimate means to pay for something, doesn't mean that no credit/debit card fraud ever occurred. It's all about the chain of events, before you ever pay for it, or receive it. If you are buying something at a price that is "to good to be true", from some new web store, you might not be committing the theft, yourself, but you are certainly part of the problem. You create the demand, for the supply of stolen card accounts, and the merchandise purchased with them.

I was finding all the "sophiamart" naysayers and doomsday posters annoying, until I realized I was also being part of the problem (being complacent and staying silent).

I didn't have my Target card account info stolen. Yet, the fact that I am a cardholder has raised my awareness level.

There's plenty of others who will keep on calling some of the "deals" out as potential scams, so this is what I have to say, and they can keep plugging away. If you want to help thieves and scam artists get rich, at the cost of everybody else, in the long term, I hope that karma does exist, and truly can be a real b**ch.

If you didn't know better, and already bought from one of these "here today, gone tomorrow" possible fencing sites that might have used theft of accounts, and drop-shipping, I hold nothing against you. We all make mistakes.

Last edited by nooneuknow : 12-29-2013 at 04:37 PM.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:08 PM   #804
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jntc View Post
BestBuy is selling it at full price to these 'scammers' running these sites using a stolen credit card. The 'scammers' are charging $320.
It sure sounds simple, Best Buy keeps accepting bad (stolen) credit cards and keeps shipping, I guess it good for Best Buy to increase its sales, (or the stolen cards belong to say a Bill Gates and he does not check on such small purchases) but these sights have been going on for over 5 months, you would think Best Buy would know by now, I purchased my unit before the Target CC problem, that started on Nov 27 to Dec 15th. You would think Best Buy would get back to me to see who I made payment to on PayPal if this was a scam.

Old 12-29-2013, 06:07 PM   #805
shaggy2002

for those of you that got best buy to price match the roamio pro for $499, What did you show them? Your upgrade email?
shaggy2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 06:07 PM   #806
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
It sure sounds simple, Best Buy keeps accepting bad (stolen) credit cards and keeps shipping, I guess it good for Best Buy to increase its sales, (or the stolen cards belong to say a Bill Gates and he does not check on such small purchases) but these sights have been going on for over 5 months, you would think Best Buy would know by now, I purchased my unit before the Target CC problem, that started on Nov 27 to Dec 15th. You would think Best Buy would get back to me to see who I made payment to on PayPal if this was a scam.
What you say does seem logical, just so long as one of the next big new items is Best Buy (and perhaps other stores) being investigated and/or punished for turning a blind-eye, and/or not meeting their obligations to prevent fraud in the first place. Target is the focus at the moment. Who says Best Buy is, or isn't, next?

I don't foresee the end-purchasers, who bought a reasonable number of fenced items for personal use, without confessing to knowledge of the reason for the price, being penalized. However, this can often come down to state and other jurisdictional laws, which might not take into consideration anything more than the "letter of the law", no matter how arcane, or outdated, it is.

This is a great example of laws not keeping up with technology. Shouldn't buyers be protected from being able to wind up in possession of the spoils of a theft? Should it really be a crime, when the crime was not obvious, and the consumer not protected from being an unwilling participant?

If this takes off too much, I'd like to see a new thread for the matter, and keep this thread as the great resource it has been, which is a good thing, when the "Roamio deals" are 100% legitimate.

It's the technology that allows the cloak of secrecy about the path an item takes from TiVo to the end-purchaser. The old-school way involving real "fences" (shady people, in a shady neighborhood, perhaps in a shady brick store, with no proof of where they got their goods), was the way that would wind up with the last person holding the goods facing those goods being reclaimed by the authorities.

It's also one thing for say Newegg to sell a $199 item for $19, when we KNOW that Newegg is just doing an insane promo. It's something different, when the online stores pop up like the heads in a "whack-a-mole" game.

Now that this thread has exposed that "sophiamart" seems to be one of many fronts for the same "virtual fence", it's hard for anybody to claim complete and total ignorance if they got the link to the new front from this thread...

People can go back and forth all they like about it, and are free to do as they wish, like just dismissing this as alarmism, and purely speculation, then buying from "buycheapherebeforeweregone.com", and they may never be directly implicated, or directly affected.

It's all speculation, until the other shoe drops (or doesn't)...
Old 12-29-2013, 06:21 PM   #807
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy2002 View Post
for those of you that got best buy to price match the roamio pro for $499, What did you show them? Your upgrade email?
It's 50/50 at best with those emails. It doesn't hurt to try. Some have done it. I wouldn't burn extra gas just to try, unless I was willing to accept a good possibility of either returning empty-handed, or willing to forgo the price-match.

Even the amazon price matching for $50 off of base models, has had mixed results. Some stores say the $50 GC is the same as a price match, some will accuse you of "double-dipping", if you try for both, some will just ring it up with the PM, then hand you a GC.

I still can't believe people are starting new threads on Best Buy's PM and/or GC policies, and how to try for both...

BIG SECRET (for those who have not read anything older than this) :

Don't ask about gift cards before a purchase, especially if you are trying to get a price match. Once they have processed the sale, gift cards, when applicable, are automatically prompted by their own system.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:28 PM   #808
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
If you can't understand this, then please stop asking how the sites selling TiVos at, or below, cost are doing so, as there is no more simple of a way to put it, or dumb it down.
While what you say sounds reasonable and may be true, the problem is you have no actual facts that prove any particular web site is "fencing stolen goods" - it is all an assumption on your part.

Regarding selling TiVos below cost, well according to people posting here Best Buy is selling Base Roamios for $85 after you factor in the gift cards which by my math is more than 50% off the retail price of the Roamio. The $320 for a Roamio Plus in lessd's link is allot less of a discount off the full retain price than that.

So do you think Best Buy is fencing stolen Roamios because they are selling them at such a low price point? The reality is you are again making assumptions about what a Plus costs and can be sold for without any access to real facts.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 06:43 PM   #809
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
While what you say sounds reasonable and may be true, the problem is you have no actual facts that prove any particular web site is "fencing stolen goods" - it is all an assumption on your part.

Regarding selling TiVos below cost, well according to people posting here Best Buy is selling Base Roamios for $85 after you factor in the gift cards which by my math is more than 50% off the retail price of the Roamio. The $320 for a Roamio Plus in lessd's link is allot less of a discount off the full retain price than that.

So do you think Best Buy is fencing stolen Roamios because they are selling them at such a low price point? The reality is you are again making assumptions about what a Plus costs and can be sold for without any access to real facts.
I NEVER claimed that "Best Buy is fencing stolen Roamios". I've only mentioned that they are the possible go-to source of them for those doing the fencing (via drop-shipping), while never claiming they have any knowledge of it.

I DID claim this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
It's all speculation, until the other shoe drops (or doesn't)...
I'm also not the first one to chime in on this. I've actually sat the whole matter out until today, which has been quite a while. If you are going to call me out on not being clear enough about the uncertainty of what is going on, you've been asleep at the wheel, and need to call others out over it as well, if all are to be treated equally.

I've seen some pretty outlandish statements made, along with many statements lacking any mentions of "if" being the key word, and/or no mention of things being speculative.

It's unrealistic for anybody to claim they know exactly what is going on, and present everything as fact, just as it is to claim nothing will ever come of it.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:00 PM   #810
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Credit card fraud; Roamios at "seems to good to be true" pricing, via new web stores:

I know an argument that there is no way to come out on top of.

I know the usual players, that will debate until the mods come in.

That is why I'm excusing myself from further discussion on the subject in the title of this post.

I may address a question, or ask a few, but I'm not here for debate.

I already got my (legitimate) deals, and am happy with what I got, directly from a real "brick & mortar" Best Buy, using their price-matching policies, and gift-card promotions.

Happy (legitimate) deal hunting!

P.S. I'm not accusing anybody of deliberately getting any illegitimate deals.