TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:12 PM   #1
ilovedvrs

UV collectors sign in here! VUDU / FLIXSTER

I love UltraViolet movies http://www.uvvu.com

I have almost 200 UV movies and watch via Vudu on my Roku for my Projector and with Vudu on my Samsung Evolution Kit. I used to use Flixster on my Google TV which also works very good. I would love to stop using both and instead use Tivo to watch UV movies and get the Tivo Mini. If Tivo had UV support I would sell my Roku / and evolution kit to buy the Mini. I also have two Chromecasts, but they don't support UV movies yet either.

So you have a UV collection and want it on your new TIVO, please respond to this thread and let us know how many movies you have!

Also for people that don't know much about UV, if you want some movies cheap UV is perfect for you. On ebay UV movies - (HDX - blu-ray quality) cost between $4 and $6. which is 3x 4x cheaper than buying digital movies direct from amazon/itunes/or vudu itself. There are even a few online stores you can buy codes from. Another way to get UV movies with new movies, just buy them add the code to your account, then resale the discs. Most of them time you can get 95% of price back for just released movies.

GO TIVO AND GO UV!!! GO TIVO AND GO UV!!! GO TIVO AND GO UV!!!
Old 08-20-2013, 05:16 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

I only have about 30 movies in UV, but I really like renting movies from VUDU so I hope they add that to TiVo.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:17 PM   #3
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
I have 312 UV movies right now. While it'd be nice to have access via TiVo, it's not like it matters -- the TiVo is never going to replace the Blu-ray player, and the Blu-ray player provides access to VUDU and my UV collection. Plus I can also get to it via Roku, XBox 360, PS3 and my TV.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:20 PM   #4
Dan203
Super Moderator

I could see eventually not needing a BD player. I rarely watch actual BDs anymore because of VUDU.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:27 PM   #5
ilovedvrs

Aye, I just sold my blu-ray player in anticipation for the xbox one / ps4. I sold my ps3 over a year ago...
Old 08-21-2013, 07:35 AM   #6
brentil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I could see eventually not needing a BD player. I rarely watch actual BDs anymore because of VUDU.
That's my plan eventually. Especially with Vudu's disc-2-digital conversion process. I love the 50% off for converting 10 or more disks.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
brentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:44 AM   #7
SugarBowl
Roamio Plus

about 200 here. I can never get good playback on my xbox 360. But they play back great on my Roku and BluRay player.
SugarBowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:36 AM   #8
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Nice in concept. But of the 750+ DVD's and Blu-rays, I've converted all I can, except about 50-60 discs which don't get detected correctly that I suppose I'll take in to Walmart for conversion sometime). That leaves about 400 titles on disc without digital equivalents -- or at least without a way to obtain a reasonably priced digital equivalent. For any of that to remain useful, there'll be a need for a Blu-ray player of some sort, be it a stand-alone device or one that's part of a game console or other device, for quite some time. I suppose someone who had a player only for rental material is the sort who could manage without a player now or relatively soon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:46 AM   #9
larrs
Movie Fan-Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
Nice in concept. But of the 750+ DVD's and Blu-rays, I've converted all I can, except about 50-60 discs which don't get detected correctly that I suppose I'll take in to Walmart for conversion sometime). That leaves about 400 titles on disc without digital equivalents -- or at least without a way to obtain a reasonably priced digital equivalent. For any of that to remain useful, there'll be a need for a Blu-ray player of some sort, be it a stand-alone device or one that's part of a game console or other device, for quite some time. I suppose someone who had a player only for rental material is the sort who could manage without a player now or relatively soon.
I am with you. I love UV and am up to about 250 conversions, but a lot of my older DVDs can't be looked up through the in-home program, and I have heard a slew of horror stories about having someone at WM be able to do the conversion for you.

I will say that for the first time, I am actually buying some movies on Vudu. Their sale prices on some things are really great. And, at least with Wal-Mart as an owner and UV support, I don't worry about them going under and losing my investment.

(1) Elite
(3) Premieres
(1) HD
(1) Mini
I run
with
and

Last edited by larrs : 08-21-2013 at 08:53 AM.
larrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:51 AM   #10
larrs
Movie Fan-Addict

On another note, I would love to have Vudu on Tivo and have said so many times before on these forums. However, it appears the same old same old is coming to the Roamio.

Netflix is not my only stop any more for streaming. Vudu, Amazon Prime and Redbox Instant get more of my attention now.

Unless Tivo really cranks the Roamio up to Roku levels, I am not too excited. My Elites/Premieres are great as DVRs.

(1) Elite
(3) Premieres
(1) HD
(1) Mini
I run
with
and
Old 08-21-2013, 09:49 AM   #11
anthonymoody

OT but in terms of purchasing high quality digital copies of movies, it's worth noting that iTunes occasionally has insane prices on bundles. For example about a week ago they had the 8 Harry Potter films, all extended editions, in HD, for $10. Not each. Total. All 10 original Star Trek films for $40. The 3 lotr for $10.

The prices didn't last long, but they definitely happened

It's frustrating to me to have my digital collection spread across UV and iTunes, but such is life at the moment I guess.
anthonymoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:49 AM   #12
NYHeel

Until I can rent new releases for $1.50 a night like I can from Redbox my blu-ray player isn't going anywhere. Streaming rentals are currently way overpriced. If I want to rent Jack Reacher in HD I can pay Amazon, Apple or Vudu and insane $6 to see it. Or I can go to a Redbox and get it for $1.50. I'll stick with the Redbox and keep my Blu-ray player.

Oh and I recently noticed another scam by the movie industry. They basically forced Blockbuster out of business with the streaming options and now that there's no competition for non-new releases they don't offer many movies for rental on the streaming sites. Take a look at movies in the 2-4 years old period on itunes, amazon, or vudu. They're usually not available for rental. So the only way to watch the movie is to pay some exorbitant fee to buy the movie. Want to see The Next Three Days or Gone or Source Code (just movies I picked in the 2010-2011 release range), be prepared to pay $15-$20 now.

Thankfully I have some good libraries near me that have replaced Blockbuster as the place I can get movies without spending a fortune. Personally, I liked it the old way a lot better than we have it now.
NYHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:52 AM   #13
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYHeel View Post
Want to see The Next Three Days or Gone or Source Code (just movies I picked in the 2010-2011 release range), be prepared to pay $15-$20 now
Source Code on Blu-ray is $9.99, and you could probably just resell it and get half that back if you were so inclined.

http://www.amazon.com/Source-Code-Bl...e+code+blu-ray

But yeah, understand your point.

Old 08-21-2013, 01:03 PM   #14
Dan203
Super Moderator

I don't own that many DVDs or BDs either. Maybe a 100 or so. I'm more of a renter, and for that they seem to have everything I want on VUDU.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:01 PM   #15
larrs
Movie Fan-Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
Source Code on Blu-ray is $9.99, and you could probably just resell it and get half that back if you were so inclined.

http://www.amazon.com/Source-Code-Bl...e+code+blu-ray

But yeah, understand your point.
Yeah, and there is no rhyme or reason to the rent or buy choices. On Vudu, you can rent Source Code, but Next Three Days and Gone are buys only. However, movies like Gone in 60 Seconds is rental only.

On the Blu ray front, you can buy that copy and sell it for $5-6 plus the hassle of selling/packing/shipping that is about the same as just renting from Vudu. Or, you can just buy the digital copy for $13.

Now, if you went the first route, you could always convert it to digital for $2 and you'd basically get to rent yourself the BD and get to keep the digital copy for about $8.

I like having the Blu-Ray for my home theater, but love the convenience of Vudu. I can even download the movies onto my PC or I-pad for trips and carry a Roku with me when we go on vacation, etc.

(1) Elite
(3) Premieres
(1) HD
(1) Mini
I run
with
and
Old 12-29-2013, 01:24 PM   #16
mpack

I've bought over 100 UVVU movies , mostly through VUDU. TiVo's lack of UVVU support is very backwards looking and discouraging. If tivo doesn't get VUDU or MGo or another UVVU streamer on board soon, I'm going to sell my TiVos with lifetime and go with a Roku for my needs instead.

Does anyone know why tivo hasn't supported UVVU streaming?
mpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 02:16 PM   #17
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpack View Post
I've bought over 100 UVVU movies , mostly through VUDU. TiVo's lack of UVVU support is very backwards looking and discouraging. If tivo doesn't get VUDU or MGo or another UVVU streamer on board soon, I'm going to sell my TiVos with lifetime and go with a Roku for my needs instead.

Because it doesn't fit with the Tivo mission, and that makes perfect sense to me, they don't want "cord cutters" they want you based around cable TV, and UV doesn't fit that mantra. They've committed to Amazon and Netflix, I really can't see them adding more streaming partners. IMNSHO of course...
Old 12-30-2013, 02:56 PM   #18
Zu Nim
Registerer Used

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
Because it doesn't fit with the Tivo mission, and that makes perfect sense to me, they don't want "cord cutters" they want you based around cable TV, and UV doesn't fit that mantra. They've committed to Amazon and Netflix, I really can't see them adding more streaming partners. IMNSHO of course...
I'm a cord cutter. Haven't had cable in a couple of years and I don't see myself going back unless something truly exceptional happens, like I can't watch regional Sunday sportsball OTA anymore. But I'd love to watch my UltraViolet collection via TiVo instead of using a different device. My parents could watch my UV movies on their own TiVos.

If TiVo didn't want cord cutters, they wouldn't offer the basic OTA Roamio or streaming partners at all. They spent a few years marketing as the "One Box". Even if cable MSOs are the primary goal now, TiVo can still offer a UV solution. I'm sure it's complicated by their cable partners because those partners want the movie rental income. But the more extra devices they push customers towards, the greater chance those customers realize they don't need cable or a DVR at all. (Of course, cablecos aren't great at long-term strategic thinking unless it involves regulations to help themselves or squash competitors.)
Zu Nim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 03:03 PM   #19
jrtroo
User

Actually, the "one box" got dropped from marketing materials after the Premiere's initial failure. Not quickly enough to have those claims continue on here from those who remember the weak and buggy launch of the Premiere line. It seems to have been used more recently due to the Roamio success and new potential for third party apps.

mpack- you need to contact the app writer to help get tivo support. It is not simply a case of "build it, they will come". At this point, Tivo does not make the apps any more than Apple makes an app for a vendor.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:04 PM   #20
tatergator1

Quote:
I'm going to sell my TiVos with lifetime and go with a Roku for my needs instead.
I understand the desire for Vudu or MGo and think there is potential for Tivo to offer it in the future. However, I'm confused by your sentiment. Tivo is a DVR that offers some OTT apps. Not sure why you have a Tivo since you sound so ready to drop it for a Roku.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 03:50 PM   #21
CloudAtlas

Quote:

When I looked into this I saw you already found the TiVo thread in forums.Vudu.com as well as started an all new thread below. So the only thing left to ask is how much do you want for the Roamio+LT?

Quote:
Tivo owners are being held back by the lack of a built in UVVU streaming service. I thought it would come with the new hardware, but so far it it's a no show. I do almost all of my movie watching through UVVU streamers (mostly VUDU on my ps3). I'd love to watch my movies mor conveniently through my TiVo's. Thi is a big issue for my family's entertainment. With the improvements Roku has made with the Roku 3, I may switch to them if tivo doesn't add UVVU streaming soon. Please add UVVU streaming now!(or at least tell us if/when it is coming)

CloudAtlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:13 PM   #22
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
mpack- you need to contact the app writer to help get tivo support. It is not simply a case of "build it, they will come". At this point, Tivo does not make the apps any more than Apple makes an app for a vendor.
Microsoft actually started doing this. They started paying for the development of Windows 8 versions of popular apps in an effort to make the platform more attractive. However even then only some app makers took them up on it.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:39 PM   #23
diek

I only have about 10 movies in UV, but I really like renting movies from VUDU so I hope they add that to TiVo.
diek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:44 PM   #24
dochsale

how to make money on vudu from netstrada ?

Hello, I see VUDU codes for $2 and seen people selling movies from VUDU for $6 on auctions, how to resell movie that you can buy on vudu.com ?
dochsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 05:55 AM   #25
SugarBowl
Roamio Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dochsale View Post
Hello, I see VUDU codes for $2 and seen people selling movies from VUDU for $6 on auctions, how to resell movie that you can buy on vudu.com ?

They are selling the codes that come with the Blu-ray Disc or DVD that you buy in stores.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SugarBowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 12:06 PM   #26
godsey1

I have 521 movies on my VuDu account, and would love to see this app on my Roamio. Most of the time we watch VuDu through my PS3, but I don't want to wear it out just watching movies (it is the 60 gb system that is backwards compatible). We bought a new Sony bluray player that is 3D, but it doesn't play very well with VuDu. Come on Tivo and add this to our Roamio's,

Tony
godsey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 02:12 PM   #27
rburriel

1201 movies in my Vudu account (and an assortment of TV shows). I sure would love to see a Vudu app in Tivo. I hear the Tivo Summer Update has been released today. I assume it *doesn't* include a Vudu app? But now there's buzz around an upcoming Android app. How about Yahoo Screen? I'm going to need something for watching "Community".
rburriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 02:34 PM   #28
mumpower

I too have over a thousand movies in my Vudu/UV account and wish that TiVo would implement direct access for the service. It's a glaring omission imo.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:43 AM   #29
kinggabbo

I would love a Vudu app for Tivo as well.
kinggabbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:49 PM   #30
Chris Gerhard

I have about 170 UV movies, accessible through Vudu or Flixter. I would prefer TiVo not try to add this service and others since it presents risk other far more important things like reliable DVR service could be impacted negatively. Who knows if the box could stream a 9Mbps HDX movie while properly recording something. It isn't like TiVos are powerful devices able to do anything imaginable. I wouldn't use Vudu with TiVo if it was added and don't use TiVo for Netflix or any other internet streaming as is.
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote