TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:42 AM   #1
shaggy2002

FIOS Card Install - Roll Truck or Pick up from store

I want to get a Tivo Roamio, but I am curious if there is a way to get the cable card at a Verizon store or if they still require a truck to roll. Anyone have any experiences with what they had to do?
shaggy2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 03:52 AM   #2
siratfus

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy2002 View Post
I want to get a Tivo Roamio, but I am curious if there is a way to get the cable card at a Verizon store or if they still require a truck to roll. Anyone have any experiences with what they had to do?
I've picked it up and installed myself before. When you get the card, it comes with a nice sheet of instructions, so make sure you ask for it if they forget.
siratfus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 06:43 AM   #3
sangs

Picked up two from the FiOS store and did it myself. Only issue you could run into is if you subscribe to HBO and Cinemax. That takes a bit more effort than the five-minute activation instructions provided with the CCs. You have to get them "paired" or "manually validated" in order to receive HBO and Cinemax. But again, you don't need a truck roll for that. Use the internet chat service or a phone call.
sangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:36 AM   #4
shaggy2002

Did yiu have to initiate an order number and then go to the store or did you go to the store unannounced and asked for a card?
Old 12-29-2013, 12:31 PM   #5
Marc
Now Legally Married

TC CLUB MEMBER
When I got my card, I started ordering it off the web, specified that I wanted store pickup, and then the web site basically told me just to go to the store to pick it up (without completing the online order).

I'd suggest you call the Verizon store just to make sure they have them in stock first, but other than that, you should be able to just pick one up in person pretty easily.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 01:30 PM   #6
El Maestro

I picked mine up from the store. I found a thread on this site about which part number CC to get and asked them to bring out a whole box so I could get the right part number (has 017 in it, and that's important). They were all the correct part number so I grabbed one. When I got home, I used the online chat to get the card paired for premium channels. Whole thing took ten minutes and I've been off and running since with no problems.
El Maestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 01:44 PM   #7
shaggy2002

Thanks guys! Now I am going to see if best buy will price match the $499 for the pro like i have been seeing others get it for.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:29 PM   #8
bmwhitetx

Order over phone first

Both times I just walked into the store there was a delay. A month ago I walked in, waited 10 minutes to get help only to be told I needed to order over the phone first. She took me over to a dedicated phone that basically put me in the order queue. After waiting on hold for another 10 minutes I got a rep. I told her I was in the store and needed a cc. She took the order and gave me an order number. Took that back to the in-store person who fulfilled the order.

Bottom line, order over the phone first and tell them you will do store pickup. Web does not offer that option.
bmwhitetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:14 PM   #9
Sam Dotson

I tried this, but because I was a new FIOS TV customer, and hadn't had Verizon FIOS TV for more than 6 months, they forced me to have a technician come out. I was a Phone and Internet customer for 2-years, but that didn't matter. I escalated to a manager two different times, and it still didn't matter. Finally I gave up and let them send someone out, and all he did was install the cable card into my Roamio, and go thru the pairing process and he was done. YMMV

Sam
Sam Dotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:49 PM   #10
shaggy2002

Oof. I just got off the phone with the Verizon and they told me the order date to pick up a card is 1-14-2014. I figured they would have a ton of cards sitting around at a Verizon Plus store. I plan on calling the store tomorrow to see if that date is an actual date.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:53 AM   #11
mdscott

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy2002 View Post
Oof. I just got off the phone with the Verizon and they told me the order date to pick up a card is 1-14-2014. I figured they would have a ton of cards sitting around at a Verizon Plus store. I plan on calling the store tomorrow to see if that date is an actual date.
Calling store is a good idea -- with me the first store did not have and they called around until they found the right card at a (relatively) nearby location. Took an extra 1/2 hr but I did get the card in one outing.

ps: self-install/pairing was a snap.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:40 PM   #12
BobCamp1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Dotson View Post
I tried this, but because I was a new FIOS TV customer, and hadn't had Verizon FIOS TV for more than 6 months, they forced me to have a technician come out. I was a Phone and Internet customer for 2-years, but that didn't matter. I escalated to a manager two different times, and it still didn't matter. Finally I gave up and let them send someone out, and all he did was install the cable card into my Roamio, and go thru the pairing process and he was done. YMMV

Sam
I was chatting with a Verizon tech. at my house, who was also training another tech., and he told her that she should just hand the card to the Tivo owner and let them do their thing because they usually know what they are doing. He also told her to print out the directions on Tivo's website and keep a copy in the truck.

I don't think Verizon charges separately for that truck roll. But at least you get your money's worth.
BobCamp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 06:50 PM   #13
NobleHeretic

In my experience Verizon will charge for a truck roll. If you pick up the CC at the Verizon FIOs TV Store, there is no additional charge. They will hand you the card with an activation code which you can activate through the Self-Install online website. Note: This will get you activated for all channels UNLESS you have HBO and Cinemax, which are copy protected channels. If you have these channels you will have to contact Verizon and get them to "Manually Validate Set-Top Box". Those are the magic words. I have had the most luck with using the online Live Chat with Verizon. I have done two activations through the Live Chat that I was unable to get right through the phone. Be patient with them, it will get done.

There is an excellent post with all the information you could possibly need at http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=448230
Pay particular attention to the section on Conditional Access and the VAL: V vs ? to resolve an HBO and Cinemax issue.

Be sure you get the Model Number 514517-017-00 Motorola CC from Verizon (all the recent ones I have seen have been that). Hope it goes smoothly.
Roamio Plus (CableCard and Gigabit Ethernet)

Last edited by NobleHeretic : 01-02-2014 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Incorrect Motorola CC Part Number
NobleHeretic is offline   Reply With Quote