TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-27-2013, 01:42 AM   #1
mimregi

Roamio-->Premiere streaming question

We have decided we want TiVo in a second room an I am exploring my options.

We currently have a TiVo Premiere (TCD746320- launch model, plain vanilla, two tuners, ethernet, no internal wifi).

Unless I am very much mistaken, I cannot use the TiVo Mini with this model-- do I have that correct?

Short of that, what I would like to do is buy a Roamio as my new main unit, then take the Premiere into the bedroom and use that the same way I would use a mini. I wanted to confirm what I could and couldn't do though-- assuming I have a moca or wired ethernet connection, can I *stream* to that unit? Can I copy shows from one to the other? My hope is both, I'm pretty sure I can copy, but I am having a tough time getting a definitive answer on streaming.

I ask for a couple of reasons. Firstly, if I cannot stream, I'll likely just connect the DVRs via Wireless-N rather than MOCA. Secondly, my preference is to get a Roamio Plus, but if I cannot stream to the premiere, I may get an entry level roamio (on sale at amazon now for $150) and a TiVo mini to go with it.

Thanks in advance for any help =)
mimregi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:22 AM   #2
jrtroo
User

Stream, yes. All recorded content.

Copy, yes, BUT- it depends on how shows are marked by your cable co.
Old 12-27-2013, 02:26 PM   #3
David D

I too have a Premiere and am considering purchasing a new Roamio Plus. I am also wondering about using the Premiere in our bedroom and using it to stream from the Roamio. We are never in both rooms at the same time, so we don't need or want to pay for the second cable card and TiVo monthly fee. Can the Premiere be used as just a streaming device, or do you have to maintain your cable card and TiVo service on the Premiere just to stream from the Roamio?
David D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 02:35 PM   #4
tatergator1

A Premier can stream from the Roamio without a CableCard; however, you will have to maintain Tivo service on the Premiere to enable streaming.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 09:42 PM   #5
David D

So it will cost an additional $12.99 per month to keep my existing Premiere online versus $5.99 per month for a Mini. Looks like my choices are to buy a Mini, or run an HDMI cable from my matrix switch to our bedroom.
David D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:03 PM   #6
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by David D View Post
So it will cost an additional $12.99 per month to keep my existing Premiere online versus $5.99 per month for a Mini. Looks like my choices are to buy a Mini, or run an HDMI cable from my matrix switch to our bedroom.
If you're buying a new Roamio, maybe you can use that as leverage to get the $99 lifetime deal on the Premiere.

At least a couple of people reported success.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=509228

But of course you may have to play many rounds of Customer Service Rep roulette.
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 01:16 PM   #7
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimregi View Post
Unless I am very much mistaken, I cannot use the TiVo Mini with this model-- do I have that correct?
It used to be that the Mini would grab a tuner and keep it, so TiVo made a four-tuner "host" a minimum requirement. I'm not sure if this still applies now that they have dynamic tuner allocation. (?) Either way, once set up, the Mini can stream from a two-tuner Premiere.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote