TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-23-2013, 06:51 PM   #31
marklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
If you have cable modem that is working then that same line will carry TV signals as well. Since you know that line works you can always use a splitter to split coax going into cable modem and take 1 split to cable modem and other to feed your TiVo. That line will have digital TV signals for sure.
That is the same coax line I've been using this entire time.

This issue appears to be that there just isn't a cable signal coming over the line; the assumption is that TWC didn't turn on my cable as I was told they did.
MOCA
CC: Sci Atl PK802
TA: Cisco STA1520
TimeWarner Cable-Austin
marklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:36 PM   #32
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklyn View Post
......We tried hooking the coax back up to my digital tv and the only channels I could receive were ones with ended with a dot (.4 or .5, etc), never a whole number. He explained that any of the channel numbers I read off to him that I was getting was only over the air channels. If that is the case then I misunderstood all this time thinking was actually getting a cable feed when I guess I wasn't. .....
The ".4, .6, .10, .08, etc" channels ARE digital cable tv signals! I don't know what the TiVo person is telling you about over the air only, but the "dot something" channels are digital signals, whether OTA ATSC or QAM digital cable signals. Because you do have a signal with your cable modem, that means your cable signal is there, but you "may" have a trap still on your cable line that blocked some or all of your TV frequencies. Does your system still have analog tv channels or are you all digital in your area?

It certainly could be that the tech never physically came to your house and uninstalled the trap that was blocking your tv frequencies, which would prevent them being able to activate your Cablecard and ta. Did you have any TV channel packages previously or just Internet service from them?

Last edited by HarperVision : 12-23-2013 at 08:43 PM.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:43 PM   #33
marklyn

I'm not sure if twc Austin still has analog channels... Now that you mention it, when I hooked up another cable that wasn't connected to the splitter, I want getting the channels anymore.
MOCA
TimeWarner Cable-Austin
Old 12-23-2013, 08:44 PM   #34
HarperVision

^^^^^See my edits and additions above^^^^^
Old 12-23-2013, 08:45 PM   #35
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklyn View Post
I'm not sure if twc Austin still has analog channels... Now that you mention it, when I hooked up another cable that wasn't connected to the splitter, I want getting the channels anymore.
they may have had you on the very small limited basic channels package which are usually just the OTA networks and a couple others.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:55 PM   #36
HarperVision

Here's an idea, if you have a neighbor that has cable TV, try taking your gear to their house, plugging it in and calling in to activate again. If the TA and Cablecard activate correctly, take them back to your house and hook them up. If they then fail to tune all the channels again, then you know there's a signal issue, probably the trap as mentioned. I they don't activate still at your neighbor's, then it points to an issue with your account not being built or activated properly.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:22 PM   #37
marklyn

resolved: TWC at it's finest...

OK, not sure what to say about a 10 day ordeal that ended up with a tech coming out to discover that, all along, the cable TV was never turned on!!!!
Of course I was very upset and tomorrow I will call TWC and do my best to rip them a new one for the hours I spent on the phone with Tivo and TWC cablecard 'experts' only to find out that the original order of turning on my cable was never done or noted as such in their system.
Once this guy turned on my cable, the card updated and within minutes, all was well.
I did have some minor glitches getting the Tuning Adapter to sync up and work but they all got worked out.
Why on God's green Earth wouldn't someone who came out and (for whatever reason) couldn't turn on the cable didn't not this in the ticket is beyond me.
I know I'm out over a week of cable TV and about 10 total phone hours.
Damn, I'm pissed.
MOCA
TimeWarner Cable-Austin