TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-27-2013, 02:21 PM   #121
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
Actually, I think the most common is that people pay a small charge for the card (a couple of bucks) and then pay an outlet fee on top of that (which where the $1 comes from). I believe that is the national advice to the franchises. But some franchises bundle the cablecard fee into the outlet fee - it depends on how they break down the charges for their own equipment.
Because I have 4 cable cards at $1 each a month plus I have 1 AO fee of $7.45, until a few months ago I was not even paying the AO fee, Comcast caught on, so the CS said that the AO fee I had to pay but they would give me SHO for fee for the next year, some of my friends on the same Comcast system are paying $7.45 for each cable card and the extra $1/ per month. Comcast is all over the place with their charges. I have Comcast Hartford CT.
This is from my bill

Digital Additional 12/25 - 01/24 7.45
Outlet Service Charge (with Cablecard)
Includes Customer-owned Video Equipment
Credit.
2nd Cablecard 12/25 - 01/24 4.00
Same Outlet.
Qty 4 @ $1.00 each
Total Additional XFINITY TV Services $

Old 12-27-2013, 03:11 PM   #122
tatergator1

That explains how you're only dealing with one AO fee. Comcast has all 4 of your CableCard's coded as being the "second card in the same device" billing line item which was meant to cover the situation that arose from the original S3's where you needed 2 CableCards for a single device.

Consider yourself lucky and don't be surprised when a Comcast audit catches that mistake. Per your bill, you have a 4 CableCards in the same retail device.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 05:43 PM   #123
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
... Per your bill, you have a 4 CableCards in the same retail device.
Ain't it amazin' what you can do with the right sized hammer?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 06:26 PM   #124
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
Because I have 4 cable cards at $1 each a month plus I have 1 AO fee of $7.45, until a few months ago I was not even paying the AO fee, Comcast caught on, so the CS said that the AO fee I had to pay but they would give me SHO for fee for the next year, some of my friends on the same Comcast system are paying $7.45 for each cable card and the extra $1/ per month. Comcast is all over the place with their charges. I have Comcast Hartford CT.
This is from my bill

Digital Additional 12/25 - 01/24 7.45
Outlet Service Charge (with Cablecard)
Includes Customer-owned Video Equipment
Credit.
2nd Cablecard 12/25 - 01/24 4.00
Same Outlet.
Qty 4 @ $1.00 each
Total Additional XFINITY TV Services $
Do you have any of their boxes?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 09:25 PM   #125
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
Actually, I think the most common is that people pay a small charge for the card (a couple of bucks) and then pay an outlet fee on top of that (which where the $1 comes from). I believe that is the national advice to the franchises. But some franchises bundle the cablecard fee into the outlet fee - it depends on how they break down the charges for their own equipment.
By every account I've seen here, AVS, TGB, and DSLR this is not correct as I posted above. If you can find links supporting this uncommon billing I'd like to see them - they either charge full outlet minus credit or a token $1-2 charge (or no charge), not both.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 10:35 PM   #126
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Do you have any of their boxes?
The lowest end HD cable box that came with my package, I was told I would get no cr if I return that unit.

Old 12-28-2013, 12:06 PM   #127
lpwcomp

Quote:
The lowest end HD cable box that came with my package, I was told I would get no cr if I return that unit.
Was this originally something other than Comcast? Normally, if you have one of their HD boxes, they add an "HD Technology fee".

If I were in a similar situation and had 4 single CableCARD using TiVos and none of their boxes, I would be charged 3x$9.95 "Digital Service" (aka ADO) fees and receive 4x$2.50/mo "Customer Owned Equipment Adjustment" credits.

What exactly did they mean by "... I would get no cr if I return that unit."?

Current bottom line though is that you are paying them $11.45/mo for 4 additional CableCARD outlets whereas if they "fix" it (and you return their box), it would be a net $19.85/mo charge, so you are better off with their current crazy charges by $8.40/mo.

Old 12-28-2013, 02:14 PM   #128
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Was this originally something other than Comcast? Normally, if you have one of their HD boxes, they add an "HD Technology fee".

If I were in a similar situation and had 4 single CableCARD using TiVos and none of their boxes, I would be charged 3x$9.95 "Digital Service" (aka ADO) fees and receive 4x$2.50/mo "Customer Owned Equipment Adjustment" credits.

What exactly did they mean by "... I would get no cr if I return that unit."?

Current bottom line though is that you are paying them $11.45/mo for 4 additional CableCARD outlets whereas if they "fix" it (and you return their box), it would be a net $19.85/mo charge, so you are better off with their current crazy charges by $8.40/mo.
The system was Comcast when I got my first Cable cards in 2007, the credit I was referring to was for the one small HD cable box that came with the triple play package that Comcast gave me, Comcast told me that I would not save any money if I turned in that small HD cable box, as I have a fixed price of $140 for my package that includes blast internet, HBO, and expanded digital cable, the bill gives my package a price of $185 with a $45 discount. When I first got the package the price was $170 with a $30 discount. Next June I will have to re-up my package, not looking forward to that experience.

Old 12-28-2013, 03:13 PM   #129
lpwcomp

Quote:
The system was Comcast when I got my first Cable cards in 2007, the credit I was referring to was for the one small HD cable box that came with the triple play package that Comcast gave me, Comcast told me that I would not save any money if I turned in that small HD cable box, as I have a fixed price of $140 for my package that includes blast internet, HBO, and expanded digital cable, the bill gives my package a price of $185 with a $45 discount. When I first got the package the price was $170 with a $30 discount. Next June I will have to re-up my package, not looking forward to that experience.
I vaguely remember some of your previous posts on the subject and IIRC, they had some convoluted and, IMHO, totally bogus explanation as to why this was not a violation of FCC regulations. However, since you are paying less than you would if they were doing it "right"...

Old 12-29-2013, 12:58 AM   #130
JSY

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
By every account I've seen here, AVS, TGB, and DSLR this is not correct as I posted above. If you can find links supporting this uncommon billing I'd like to see them - they either charge full outlet minus credit or a token $1-2 charge (or no charge), not both.
Interesting - I looked at my bill closer and notice that it does indeed seem like my cable company is charging me a $2.50 fee for the cable card and that is it. My bill is a bit complicated since I actually do have two HD DVRs set top boxes along with a cable card. I can see on my bill that I am charged for each set top box, and then a DVR fee for each, and the SECOND DVR has an additional outlet fee. However, the cable card stands alone at $2.50.

Now, I wonder if it's because I already have the other charges because I have a hard time believing that if I did not have any set top boxes - that my bill would only be $2.50 (plus taxes). Who knows... They purposely make this so vague.
JSY is offline   Reply With Quote