TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-13-2013, 01:15 PM   #31
drbwell

msa9769, I have the same TV that you have and was wondering if you ever got the Smart remote to work correctly with your TiVo Premier? If yes please pm me on how to set mine up. Thanks DrBwell
drbwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:48 PM   #32
twhiting9275
TV Buff!

The thread title is a bit misleading
Tivo isn't incompatible with your TV, your TV's remote doesn't work with Tivo

Realistically, all you need to do to get this to work is pick up a real AIO remote. Something like a Harmony remote (though I recommend the One series, not the Ultimate line). Do away with everything else
twhiting9275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:51 AM   #33
drbwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by twhiting9275 View Post
The thread title is a bit misleading
Tivo isn't incompatible with your TV, your TV's remote doesn't work with Tivo

Realistically, all you need to do to get this to work is pick up a real AIO remote. Something like a Harmony remote (though I recommend the One series, not the Ultimate line). Do away with everything else
I wrote an email to the CEO of Samsung about this issue last night. Maybe if enough people complain they will add TiVo devices to there search list. Anyway, I already setup my Harmony One to work with my system. It's just a pain to use the smart remote for some things and the Harmony to work basic options.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:33 AM   #34
twhiting9275
TV Buff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbwell View Post
It's just a pain to use the smart remote for some things and the Harmony to work basic options.
Hmm, what can't the One handle? I don't think I've run across anything (except the PS3) that the One can't do. Then again, I haven't played with the 'smart tv' yet
twhiting9275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:12 PM   #35
drbwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by twhiting9275 View Post
Hmm, what can't the One handle? I don't think I've run across anything (except the PS3) that the One can't do. Then again, I haven't played with the 'smart tv' yet
I figure I spent $2200 on a tv with a fancy remote I can't use. I should've bought the $800 tv without all the fluff!
Old 11-09-2013, 01:23 AM   #36
bd5400

Has anyone else gotten this to work? I've tried searching for the tivo using "tcd" as the model number and the television doesn't give me the option for a tivo.
bd5400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 03:06 PM   #37
jmeray

Same problem. No TIVO options for model of set top box

So i have the UN55F6400AF LED TV by samsung, when i do the setup, set top box, i type TCD, or TIVO, or TiVo or Roamio, it lists absolutely NOTHING, which to me means that the model-listing of my TV and maybe others, does not have the TIVO models in it. Maybe by accident, whatever, bottom line, you cannot choose a TIVO as your set top box.
jmeray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 03:49 PM   #38
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmeray View Post
So i have the UN55F6400AF LED TV by samsung, when i do the setup, set top box, i type TCD, or TIVO, or TiVo or Roamio, it lists absolutely NOTHING, which to me means that the model-listing of my TV and maybe others, does not have the TIVO models in it. Maybe by accident, whatever, bottom line, you cannot choose a TIVO as your set top box.
That might be because a Tivo is not a "set top box"

This thread went off the rails with the title, a Tivo is perfectly compatible with the TV, it's just not compatible with the applications since there isn't one for it. For me? I prefer the Tivo remote anyway.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:04 PM   #39
jmeray

Dianebrat,
I appreciate your response, however, samsung has documentation showing that you should be able to type TIVO as your set top box, and it should list all of the tivo models to choose from. Other people have done this, per other forums, and it has worked on other samsung model tv's, however, on mine, I get no list of tivo models. To me, it appears the firmware or software for my device doesn't include tivo, maybe by accidental omission.
Tivo is way more than a set top box, agreed, however, a set top box by definition is simply a tuner. Tivo, with its cable card and tuning adapter, is a tuner "too". Samsung should be able to control the IR on the tivo, to change channels, just like it does a Cisco cable DVR.
I am hoping some smart person here might be able to figure a way to do it, or tell me my model samsung tv cannot do it currently due to firmware or samsung IR blaster limitations.
jmeray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 03:29 PM   #40
cleverusername2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsbmgw View Post
I think I figured out the solution to the compatibility issue between the Samsung Smart TV and Tivo (at least with my model TV). I just purchased a Samsung 55" Smart TV Model UN55F6300. After reading these posts and others, I was rather disappointed to see that I was going to have to use two remotes if I wanted to get the full capabilities of the Smart TV and my Tivo Premiere. But, after some messing around, I think I stumled upon the answer.

During the set-up for the TV, I indicated that I have Comcast cable. The tv then required me to put in the IR cable and put the sensor in front of the cable box. The tv assumed that I had a Comcast box and asked me to change the channel on the Samsung remote. When it asked if it worked to change the channel, I said no. I think it may have tried one more time. It then asked me to search for my cable box model number by using the first three digits of the model number. I typed in the first 3 letter of the Tivo Premier box and what to my eyes appears but the choice of the "Tivo Premiere" as the cable box. I accept it and, to make a long story short, the Samsung remote works perfectly in controlling my Tivo box. You can access the Tivo menus by using the STB buttons. You can pause, fast forward, etc. using the arrows. I have not foudn anything that the Samsung remote cannot do to work the Tivo. I now have no need for my Tivo remote which is fantastic. Hope this helps!
You say you typed in the first 3 letters of the tivo premiere .. what do you mean? "TCD" (the model number)? "TIV"? I've tried everything I can think of and I can't get it to suggest Tivo Premiere. Frustrating!
cleverusername2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 06:37 PM   #41
bernler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterchin View Post
Hello
Yeah, I got it to work. I stayed up till 4 am playing with my new UN65F8000. I was able to get everything to work. I love the new Samsung smart remote and I am happy to say I only need one remote for everyday TV watching. The key was tricking the TV a little. You need to make sure and select your cable company on one of the other HDMI inputs. My Cox cable is hooked into my HDMI 1 slot, however I have my HDMI one listed as TIVO. This allows me to use the remote as a Tivo remote on HDMI 1. I then needed to include Cox cable and I hooked it in HDMI 1 but listed it in HDMI 3. This allows for all of your channels to show up and select them in the smart hub, I love this option. The Tv quickly learns what you watch and displays programs you like. I am so happy I got this to work.
Thanks your suggestion worked great. Now do you know how I get to manage with the remote my xenon machine connected to the TiVo?
bernler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 02:05 AM   #42
Starfury9

Tivo and F8000 Samsung

I have been using my Samsung TV as a display and just using the Tivo remote and not using the Smart functions related to live/DVRed TV viewing. I very seldomly watch live TV

Is it beneficial to set up the Tivo with the IR blaster and use the smart remote instead? Does the smart tv recognize you've watched a recorded program?
Starfury9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 02:09 PM   #43
mpauker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernler View Post
Thanks your suggestion worked great.
Can you list the steps went through to do this? (I'm a little confused by the description.) I connected my TiVo to HDMI1, selected Set Top Box, followed by Provider Not Listed, and then searched for TiVo. I was then able to select TiVo from the list. Now how do I get it to know the channel lineup? My Premier has a cable card so I don't have a cable box. This means that there's nothing to plug into another HDMI input (and I may end up using all of the inputs anyway).
mpauker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 02:31 PM   #44
lanecook

Smart Remote will perform most TiVo functions

Hi all,
I appreciated the information I found on this subject so I thought I would add my recent findings. I have found that almost all TiVo remote functions can be performed by the Samsung smart remote.

My setup is a TiVo Premier with associated tuning adaptor. This is connected to my Samsung UN60F6400 through HDMI 1.

I followed the instructions posted earlier that described how to make the TiVo your associated set top box.

Once you have accomplished this your remote/TV menu's will perform almost all the TiVo functions

On the track pad itself you have some directional controls through swiping.
- Swipe Up: Shows the video format of the current program
- Swipe Right: Brings up the TiVo information screen which allows you to see info on the current program as well as see what the other TiVo tuners are on/recording, turn on/off closed captioning. Will time out if left alone.
- Swipe Left: Brings up TiVo Central. Track pad has full functionality to navigate through the menus here and select options by clicking. (Downside here is that there is no "Live TV" button to exit back to fullscreen TV.)
- Swipe Down: No functionality.
- Click Track Pad: Brings up mini guide (3 channel). Will time out if left alone.

Additional features can be accessed through the MORE button above the track pad.

From this button the first menu that comes up allows number entry for channel tuning.

Scroll right till the menu changes and you will see the A-B-C-D options from the TiVo remote and below that the play, pause, FF, RW, and skip options.

Scroll right again till the menu changes and options appear that allow access to many features. The two most important here are labeled STB menu and STB guide.

-STB Menu: Brings up TiVo central
-STB Guide: Brings up TiVo channel guide. (This is an effective work-around for exiting TiVo central by bringing up the guide and selecting the channel you are already watching.)

Hopefully this helps other Samsung owners who are experiencing frustration. Let me know if you need additional help.
lanecook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 04:58 PM   #45
nitrox007

SUCCESS: Sort of (Tivo Premiere and Samsung 60F6350)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsbmgw View Post
I think I figured out the solution to the compatibility issue between the Samsung Smart TV and Tivo (at least with my model TV). I just purchased a Samsung 55" Smart TV Model UN55F6300. After reading these posts and others, I was rather disappointed to see that I was going to have to use two remotes if I wanted to get the full capabilities of the Smart TV and my Tivo Premiere. But, after some messing around, I think I stumled upon the answer.

During the set-up for the TV, I indicated that I have Comcast cable. The tv then required me to put in the IR cable and put the sensor in front of the cable box. The tv assumed that I had a Comcast box and asked me to change the channel on the Samsung remote. When it asked if it worked to change the channel, I said no. I think it may have tried one more time. It then asked me to search for my cable box model number by using the first three digits of the model number. I typed in the first 3 letter of the Tivo Premier box and what to my eyes appears but the choice of the "Tivo Premiere" as the cable box. I accept it and, to make a long story short, the Samsung remote works perfectly in controlling my Tivo box. You can access the Tivo menus by using the STB buttons. You can pause, fast forward, etc. using the arrows. I have not foudn anything that the Samsung remote cannot do to work the Tivo. I now have no need for my Tivo remote which is fantastic. Hope this helps!
I have a 60" Samsung 60F6350 and a Tivo Premiere (TCD746320 SKU R7463B)

I tried emulating your instructions but whenever I entered my zip code and selected my provider, there were no search results (I am in NYC). So since you said you were able to get Tivo Premiere to come up in the set-top-box search results by entering your zip code and selecting "Comcast", I went ahead a selected a random zip code where Comcast is available (I used 30325 for Atlanta, GA) and sure enough, Tivo Premiere worked when I entered "tiv" in the search box.

I am now able to control the channel up/down with the Smart TV remote, as well as access the Tivo Main Menu using STB Menu and get the channel list from Tivo using the STB Guide button. I can also navigate the menus using the Smart TV Remote's up/down/left/right buttons.

Since I selected a different provider other than my real one, when I select "CH LIST" button on the remote, I get a menu for Xfinity and not Cablevision which is my provider. Other than that, it works great. I still have not fully tested this to see what else is available or not working properly, but so far the results are promising.

Hopefully this will help someone else out there. hsbmgw - Thanks for sharing your findings.
nitrox007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:33 PM   #46
c293716

I just had the most frustrating "chat session" with somebody who obviously knew far less than I about the issue...they finally chimed in saying that the TiVo was not compatible.

I can't believe that. Does anybody have any other ideas of how to get this to work? I also am suffering from the "entering tivo" in the model search comes back with nothing because I told it I have a Verizon channel setup (which I do).
c293716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:59 AM   #47
Long Island girl

Still not working

I just bought a samsung unf8000 series tv and followed what everyone said. the remote now works thinking my box is comcast in atlanta, when what i really have is cablevision in new york. what i don't understand is why does the tv recognize the tivo box under comcast and not under cablevision? when i put in my provider is not listed, it does not give me the option to put in tivo, and when i put in cablevision and then try to do tivo, it just says my smart tv won't work with the box. also, my tivo works with the swipe box, not with the stb button, and i can't pause, rewind or fast forward. any ideas? frustrated because with this setup, the smart tv portion will jump to what comcast is saying the channels are.
Long Island girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:18 PM   #48
djjeesh

I found a way to get some - not all function out of your samsung basic smart tv remote. Not talking about "smart remote" with trackpad etc but your smart tv's candy bar shaped remote.

Program your STB to Directv - Mine started working on option 5. You can get STB guide, channel changing. Getting to Tivo Central i think you can just use direction pad left one or two times or my remote has a "More" button. There it has a STB DVR button on the on-screen tv menu. STB Menu doesn't seem to do anything.

Just be advised the Ch List and Guide (not STB Guide) buttons will most likely show incorrect channels and info because it thinks you have Directv instead of cable. Use the STB Guide which will show you Tivo's guide.

EDIT - guess this is pretty much the same as entering Tivo as your provider --- never mind for the most part. I think option 2 gives you use of the Exit button but breaks STB Menu. I think I prefer having an exit button and just using left arrow as tivo central button. Pause/rewind etc still work.

Last edited by djjeesh : 02-24-2014 at 03:52 PM.
djjeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 11:42 AM   #49
everking

Samsung TV is compatible with TiVo - Missing some functions though

I have UN55F7050AF and it works with TiVo... well mostly.

I'm able to navigate TiVo however, I can's seem to find the equivalent of the "zoom" key so I can watch the show full screen. When I navigate in TiVo using the Samsung remote, I'm basically stuck with the TiVo menus with the small picture-in-picture screen to the top-right of the screen.

Is there any way to get out of the TiVo menu using the menus themselves or some key combination in the Samsung remote?
everking is offline   Reply With Quote