TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2013, 11:32 AM   #31
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 12,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebabinet View Post
Can you share what you've discovered about how to fix this issue?

I believe my TCD652160 has this problem and I'd like to give a shot at fixing it myself using parts from another unit.
Since they are a business, they aren't going to tell you how to do it yourself and avoid paying them to do it.

Which is perfectly understandable.

And I should mention that they are a sponsor here and help keep this site online.

And allow me to repeat, there is more than one possible cause of this problem.

But anybody with any Series 2 or Series 3 model having almost any problem whatsoever should verify that it is not a power supply problem before proceeding to consider other possibilities.

When you say parts from another unit, what other unit do you have in mind?
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 01:36 PM   #32
ebabinet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 3
I have narrowed my issue down to a bad RAM chip and am considering replacing it with a chip from an identical Series 3 HD that I bought on Ebay. I would consider paying someone to do the swap for me, but $180 seems a bit high to me, which is what I believe they charge for mother board fixes.
ebabinet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 05:16 PM   #33
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 12,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebabinet View Post
I have narrowed my issue down to a bad RAM chip and am considering replacing it with a chip from an identical Series 3 HD that I bought on Ebay. I would consider paying someone to do the swap for me, but $180 seems a bit high to me, which is what I believe they charge for mother board fixes.
I'm curious as to how you determined that it's a bad RAM chip (and which one) and not something else, since there seem to be a number of "things going wrong" which can cause the flashing light.

How large a community are you in?

What you need is someone who can so SMD work.

Anyone who doesn't know what that phrase means is not the repairperson for whom you are looking.

A lot of people who do know what that phrase means also are not actually qualified to do it. Like me.

(although I might try it on my own stuff)
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 05:44 PM   #34
ebabinet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
I'm curious as to how you determined that it's a bad RAM chip (and which one) and not something else, since there seem to be a number of "things going wrong" which can cause the flashing light.
I ruled out that it wasn't a hard drive issue by disconnecting the hard drive.
I ruled out that it wasn't a power supply issue by testing all the voltage levels from the power supply.
Then, I found out from a knowledgeable source that the Flashing Green Light is often caused by faulty RAM and that if you heat the RAM chips it will temporarily cause the RAM chips to work. I used a hair dryer to heat all the RAM chips a little and then after turning on the Tivo, amazingly it worked. Then through a process of heating one RAM chip at a time, I was able to determine which chip is faulty.

If anyone knows somebody who offers SMD soldering services in the San Francisco Bay Area, please let me know. I'm sure they exist, but haven't found them yet.
ebabinet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:07 PM   #35
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 12,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebabinet View Post
I ruled out that it wasn't a hard drive issue by disconnecting the hard drive.
I ruled out that it wasn't a power supply issue by testing all the voltage levels from the power supply.
Then, I found out from a knowledgeable source that the Flashing Green Light is often caused by faulty RAM and that if you heat the RAM chips it will temporarily cause the RAM chips to work. I used a hair dryer to heat all the RAM chips a little and then after turning on the Tivo, amazingly it worked. Then through a process of heating one RAM chip at a time, I was able to determine which chip is faulty.

If anyone knows somebody who offers SMD soldering services in the San Francisco Bay Area, please let me know. I'm sure they exist, but haven't found them yet.
I'm clear on the other side of the country with no real contacts in the Bay area, but that close to Silicon Valley you should be tripping over them.

Start a thread here at TCF in the Help forum entitled "Any SF Bay area SMD wizards available for S3 mobo RAM swap?" and see if you don't get replies from TCF'ers who can do it or who know someone who can.

Does your knowledgeable source have any other helpful tips they'd like to pass along?

Will the heat trick help with dead tuners or scrambled video sync?
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:43 AM   #36
squint
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebabinet View Post
If anyone knows somebody who offers SMD soldering services in the San Francisco Bay Area, please let me know. I'm sure they exist, but haven't found them yet.
Just go to your local Craigslist and look for xbox repair, rework, reballing. These people have the infrared rework stations and expertise to replace SMD components on motherboards.
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:53 PM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |