TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-27-2013, 08:31 AM   #1
Fahtrim

I'm catching up on Dr Who here

Just watched "Stolen Earth" and had to go to bed last night cuz work today, but dang good stuff

I'll tell you what, the parallel universe hopping and the Rose Tyler thing sure does make me think of and greatly miss Fringe.

Not sure why I didn't catch up sooner on this, but just so much TV and so little time

Kids are starting to get interested, wife keeps saying she is so lost, I don't think she really wants to get it
Fahtrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:10 AM   #2
MonsterJoe
salty meat-poles

I just started season 6. I kind of got the middle kid into it - he'll watch episodes with me here and there. He thought it was really cool that the Doctor didn't use weapons or anything, but solved problems using his brain. "Is that why his head is so big?" lol

GF makes fun of me for watching, but she will sit through an episode or two occasionally...hmmm curious.
MonsterJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:26 AM   #3
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
Makes fun of you why?
Old 12-27-2013, 11:55 AM   #4
MonsterJoe
salty meat-poles

Because it's "dorky." ...and it's light-hearted teasing, really.

In her defense, I also used to tease my friends for watching it before I gave it a chance. I really had no clue that it was one of the most popular shows on..well...the planet.

I had an indelible memory of Tom Baker and really bad rubber suits stuck in my head for a long time.
Old 12-27-2013, 02:22 PM   #5
mr.unnatural

People that make fun of other people that like to watch Doctor Who have apparently not seen any of the series since it rebooted in 2005. Anything that aired prior to that was pretty cheesy and definitely "dorky" to a certain extent, but that was mainly due to the low budget, low tech productions. Most of the recent episodes not only have better special effects and production values, but also better writing, acting, and directing. There's still a bit of cheesiness (any episode with the Slitheen, for instance), but overall it's much improved.

The wife and I just watched the latest Christmas episode of Doctor Who and she commented that Matt Smith was going to be a hard act to follow when I mentioned he was being replaced with a new Doctor. She's never been a Doctor Who fan and probably hates me for making her sit through endless hours of the original series. However, even she sees how the series has improved dramatically to the point where she seems to enjoy watching it now.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 03:31 PM   #6
MonsterJoe
salty meat-poles

agreed.

I like the show quite a bit now that I've given it a chance, as I mentioned.

I wouldn't say I Looooooooooove it, since I usually do fall asleep toward the end of every other episode and have to go find where I left off, the next time.
Old 12-27-2013, 03:59 PM   #7
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

I'm catching up, too. In the second season of the 10th doctor.
It can be trite and wearing with the force behind the bots had a force that's being controlled by.....THE DALEKS!

Runaway Bride was weird . The alien was very cheesy.

Was the intent there to make a feint with a false next companion?
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 04:14 PM   #8
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAndrews View Post
Was the intent there to make a feint with a false next companion?
Impossible to answer that question without spoilers.

Minor hint that could be construed as a spoiler to follow:
Spoiler:
That was not the only special episode that featured a "one-off" companion.

LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 04:37 PM   #9
Wil
Senile Member

We're just getting into season 2, 1964. Whatever Bill Hartnell's limitations as an actor, or ability to remember lines, he created the Doctor. The character was not in the script at all, hmmmm?
Wil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 12:06 PM   #10
danterner
Not it!

Yesterday was a watershed Doctor Who moment in my household:

I watched the series all by myself, Eccleston through the beginning of Smith's first season, as it aired. At that point my wife caught a few episodes and decided she liked it enough to get into it. So we went back to "Rose" and I rewatched every episode as my wife watched them for the first time. Once we were caught back up to Smith, we watched those together for the first time. My 13 year old daughter watched the 50th anniversary episode with us when it aired, and decided that she wanted to watch the series. So back to "Rose" we all went. That was this Thursday. As of this morning, she's only got two episodes of Eccleston's season left. Yesterday when I came home from work, all four kids (5, 7, 10, and 13) were huddled in the living room, watching episodes together. So now every member of my family finally watches.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Facebook:
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:21 AM   #11
cstelter

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post

I watched the series all by myself, Eccleston through the beginning of Smith's first season, as it aired. At that point my wife caught a few episodes and decided she liked it enough to get into it. So we went back to "Rose" and I rewatched every episode as my wife watched them for the first time. Once we were caught back up to Smith, we watched those together for the first time. My 13 year old daughter watched the 50th anniversary episode with us when it aired, and decided that she wanted to watch the series. So back to "Rose" we all went. That was this Thursday. As of this morning, she's only got two episodes of Eccleston's season left. Yesterday when I came home from work, all four kids (5, 7, 10, and 13) were huddled in the living room, watching episodes together. So now every member of my family finally watches.
Heh-- back in 2007 I was watching Tennant and Freeman having watched most episodes back when I was 17 or so. At the time my kids were 12, 11, 9, 7, and 5. My oldest had read all the Harry Potter books and I thought the JK Rowling lines in the Shakespeare episode was so well done I showed him a few scenes from the episode and had to explain some of the background to him. Then a couple weeks later he was up late because he was sick (we always had very early bed times and I did nearly all my TV after they were all in bed) and watched "42" with me. I could tell he wanted to watch more, but I also wanted him to truly understand the series. So I signed up for Netflix and started ordering Doctor Who dvds beginning with 1963. My 11 year old joined in around Doctor #3. My 9 year old (probably 11 by then) joined in around the end of Doctor 4 and beginning of Doctor 5. My last two still had too early of bedtimes to join in.

We didn't catch *every* episode, but probably 90% of those available form Netflix anyway-- we started skipping more and more through doctors 6 and 7. The four of us caught up with 'live' for the start of the 11th doctor in 2010. My wife will never be converted, but my youngest two have been bugging me the last couple years why they can't watch along with the rest. For me I loved seeing my kids go 'Oh!! The Autons;', or 'ahh, they brought back the Silurians'. I want my last two to have the same fun, but I've been dragging my feet.

Mostly I don't want to have to go back and rewatch all the oldies again so soon, but I also want didn't want them to just jump into the 11th doctor. I figure I'll hit the 1st doctor's Dalek episode with them, then tomb of cybermen with #2. Autons, and Silurians and '3 doctors' with #3. Pyramids of Mars, deadly assassin, The Davros/Sara Jane episode, and maybe a couple others from #4 (let them see both romanas maybe), Mawdryn Undead, Caves of Androzoni and the 5 doctors from #5-- 2 doctors from #6 and and the first one perhaps for some chameleon circuit fun-- perhaps some of trial of a timelord. Not so sure about #7-- I think I only ever saw 2-3 eps of #7. Then the movie and finally the new series. It will be interesting to see if the last two end up fans or not. 6 out of 7 wouldn't be too bad...
Old 12-30-2013, 09:06 PM   #12
Ozzie72

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post

Congratulations! I know my family room got a little dusty when each of my kids took in the show for the first time and decided they liked it. My wife decided she liked the show as soon as she got a gander of Captain Jack.
Ozzie72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:25 AM   #13
mr.unnatural

In that case, get her to watch Arrow on The CW. John Barrowman plays one of the bad guys on the show. She may also like Torchwood, which is the spinoff series from Doctor Who starring Captain Jack.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:29 AM   #14
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
In that case, get her to watch Arrow on The CW. John Barrowman plays one of the bad guys on the show. She may also like Torchwood, which is the spinoff series from Doctor Who starring Captain Jack.
As an extra Who bonus, on Arrow:

Spoiler:
Alex Kingston shows up too, late into the first season.

| Facebook:
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:52 AM   #15
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

My 4yo likes it but I don't let him watch all of them...only ones we've deemed not terribly scary or gory.

sushikitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 11:41 PM   #16
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
Impossible to answer that question without spoilers.

Minor hint that could be construed as a spoiler to follow:
Spoiler:
That was not the only special episode that featured a "one-off" companion.
I see by the BBC shows on Netflix that Cate has a popular sitcom or something, so she was a guest star of sorts. Besides they had her doing mostly B*ing so she wasn't all that attractive.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote