TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-14-2013, 07:50 AM   #31
vurbano

I will leave my TV watching to tivo not a game console
Old 12-14-2013, 10:04 AM   #32
b_scott
TiVo Fan

you can do both :P I promise you if you are in TV mode and don't use voice commands, you won't notice a difference.
b_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 01:05 PM   #33
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post
you can do both :P I promise you if you are in TV mode and don't use voice commands, you won't notice a difference.
You can also do a combination of voice commands and remote controls. It works perfectly fine when I've used it with my Roamio Basic.
The only issue is that the XBOne uses remote code zero. So if there are other TiVos in the room it will also be sending commands to those TiVos.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:18 PM   #34
Rkkeller

You can really do a lot with your voice, gestures or Xbox One controller, even 30 second skip thru recordings. The guide once you set it up how you want, and it does take a little time, works great.

About the only time I use my Roamio remote is to setup a SP or start a show to watch.

The Xbox One is not meant only as a "video game machine", its is meant as a total entertainment hub. You can snap dual windows and skype and watch TV, or do something else and snap a web browser, and so on. Its integrated with the NFL, fantasy football and a lot more if you like football. Follow your friends, activity, message, trade game clips. Bluray/CD player, apps and of course games.

It has only been out 3 weeks so a lot more is coming. I find myself using mine a lot more for non gaming things than I do playing games, it can do so much.

I walk into my living room and Kinect recognizes me and signs me in automatically, I say "Xbox On" and it turns everything you want on, even your stereo. Then when watching TV I might get a message from a friend and a notification pops up, then I can "snap activity" and a small window opens on the side with all my friends activity and what they are doing now so I can see if I want to join a game or something.

You should hook it up as intended is what I am getting at or a lot of fun features will not work like they planned.

Last edited by Rkkeller : 12-16-2013 at 12:38 PM.
Rkkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 09:17 PM   #35
barrett14

I am having issues controlling my Tivo using the xbox voice commands. I tell it to change the channel and nothing happens. What am I doing wrong?

It was misleading during the set up because it wanted to send a "mute" command to my TV... but in reality it needed to send the Mute command to my receiver. I wasn't sure how to sort that out.
barrett14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 11:44 PM   #36
NJChris
Moogs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett14 View Post
I am having issues controlling my Tivo using the xbox voice commands. I tell it to change the channel and nothing happens. What am I doing wrong?

It was misleading during the set up because it wanted to send a "mute" command to my TV... but in reality it needed to send the Mute command to my receiver. I wasn't sure how to sort that out.
In the setup I think you tell it what device you use for audio. I have it set to my receiver and it mutes that fine.

How are you telling it to change the channel? I end up using the roamio remote mostly but I can say "Xbox watch CBS" and it will change to that. I don't think you can tell it a channel number (at least that didn't work for me)

I do like that the shoulder buttons on the controller do the 30-sec skip forward and 7 second back... or you can tell "xbox skip forward" to do that.
NJChris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 02:05 PM   #37
barrett14

I think I got it figured out. Now it is just a matter of getting my Harmony remote to live happily with this new change. Since the Xbox and Tivo are integrated now, it is hard to tell a universal remote how to work.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:59 PM   #38
b_scott
TiVo Fan

just set it up as Xbox One TV - make it use the Tivo and assign all the Tivo buttons to the hard ones.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:58 AM   #39
barrett14

What did you guys set your audio output as for the Xbox one? My receiver was decoding everything as PCM before the xbox, but now it seems like DTS sounds the best which is already compressed...
Old 12-27-2013, 10:26 AM   #40
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
What did you guys set your audio output as for the Xbox one? My receiver was decoding everything as PCM before the xbox, but now it seems like DTS sounds the best which is already compressed...
If I watch content from my Roamio BAsic through my XBOne, I set the XBOne output to either 5.1 pcm or 2.0 pcm. Depending on whether the content I'm watching is in 5.1 or 2.0. Quality wise that sounds the same as using DTS output to me. But I think the DTS output is a little louder than the PCM output if I remember correctly. Plus, unless something has chnaged, DTS output is always in 5.1. SO if 2.0 content is eing watched, then it will be output with several dead channels. So only audio will be coming from the FL/FR channels. Which for me is like it was in the mid and late 80's watching TV. Before I got my first surround processor in 1991.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:17 AM   #41
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by vurbano View Post
I will leave my TV watching to tivo not a game console
It isn't the TV watching that makes it desirable to hook up a TiVo through the console. It is the fact that you can launch apps (Netflix, etc) and games without having to switch inputs and you can easily switch back and forth to your TiVo. The channel changing, etc is a bit wonky but I don't think most people are trying to use the Xbox guide over the TiVo guide.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 05:58 AM   #42
Rkkeller

Quote:

I have my Roamio set to output in "Dolby Digital" and the Xbox One
set to DTS.
Rkkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 06:26 PM   #43
xbr23

i have my Tivo running through my XBOne. is anybody else having a lag issue when switching tuners? several seconds, not just a brief lag when switching tuners. goes to a black screen.

this started when i connected to XBOne, so i know it has to be a XBOne issue.
xbr23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:48 PM   #44
aaronwt
HD Addict

I just connected my Secondary XBOne to a TiVo Mini tonight. With the Mini I don't notice any lag issues. It changes the tuners as quick as when the XBOne wasn't there.

With this setup I'm able to do more with the TiVo since I don't have any other TiVos in the room like I do in the Room that has a Roamio Basic going into an XBOne. The XBOne has worked well so far in changing channels, pausing etc from the Mini. Plus I have the XBOne turning on the receiver and TV too. So if I'm just going to watch Tv I won't be using my Harmony remote to turn them on/off.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:49 PM   #45
treoo0

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbr23 View Post
i have my Tivo running through my XBOne. is anybody else having a lag issue when switching tuners? several seconds, not just a brief lag when switching tuners. goes to a black screen.

this started when i connected to XBOne, so i know it has to be a XBOne issue.
Yes, and that's the main reason I decided to remove the passthrough. The lag was awful. It's due to the DRM key needing passed every single freakin' time Tivo starts a recorded program. Boo.

BTW, the "beta" digital audio passthrough sucked too. Even had popping in speakers. Oh well. No biggie. I may try it all again once Xbox delivers the Digital Audio over HDMI (i.e. comes out of Beta).
treoo0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:08 PM   #46
xbr23

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I just connected my Secondary XBOne to a TiVo Mini tonight. With the Mini I don't notice any lag issues. It changes the tuners as quick as when the XBOne wasn't there.

With this setup I'm able to do more with the TiVo since I don't have any other TiVos in the room like I do in the Room that has a Roamio Basic going into an XBOne. The XBOne has worked well so far in changing channels, pausing etc from the Mini. Plus I have the XBOne turning on the receiver and TV too. So if I'm just going to watch Tv I won't be using my Harmony remote to turn them on/off.
try this. Pause one of your tuners, then switch to another live tuner, then switch from a live tuner back to the paused tuner. try switching tuners when one of them is paused and let me know what happens.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:53 PM   #47
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbr23 View Post

try this. Pause one of your tuners, then switch to another live tuner, then switch from a live tuner back to the paused tuner. try switching tuners when one of them is paused and let me know what happens.
I'll try it out in a few minutes.

Edit: I just tried. It is the same as switching between live channels. The new picture pops up in under a second when the channels are the same resolution, and around a second when the channels are different resolutions, like 1080i to 720p. What do you see on yours?

I do have my TiVos set for only 1080P output and my Roamio Basic is using OTA.

So far the only issue I've seen is with my other setup connected to a TiVo mini. When I switched to 32bit I got a blank screen from the TV input and had to fully shut down the XBOne and reboot. But other than when I first changed the color depth it has been fine too. I didn't have that issue on my primary setup, but that also goes through my DVDO Duo.

Edit: I just tried the same thing from my input that doesn't go through the XBOne. (With the XBOne in standby since my basic roamio goes through an hdmi splitter)The channel changes are a little faster. Like a split second when changing between channels with the same rez and just under a second when the channels have different resolutions.

So it is slightly slower when going through the XBOne. I hadn't really noticed before sine I don't normally jump around between channels like that. Plus my basic is secondary to my Roamio Pro which is on FiOS. I guess I should connect my Pro to the XBOne sometime and see how that does.

Last edited by aaronwt : 01-03-2014 at 07:29 PM.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:24 AM   #48
xbr23

my settings:

Tivo Roamio 1080p (60 fps) and 1080p (pass thru only)

XBOne tv reso 1080p, HDMI auto detect, color depth 36 bits per pixel, color space RGB limited, HDMI audio DTS Digital Surround.

Tivo to XBOne to Pioneer Elite SC7 to Sharp Elite Pro 60X5FD all via HDMI.

Wifey likes to watch multiple 6:30 pm news programs. so she watches CBS on one tuner, NBC on another tuner, sometimes ABC on another tuner. she uses Pause to bounce around the news programs. the lag is significant and i would like to resolve the issue without having to remove XBox from the the keychain. we both like being able to control power on and off plus other voice commands with the Xbox.

Last edited by xbr23 : 01-04-2014 at 08:31 AM.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:46 AM   #49
JC Fedorczyk

Don't think that color depth makes a difference in the visuals.

Try setting the Xbox hdmi from auto to HDMI

When you say lag what kind? If you're switched digital there's going to be a delay but that's not the Xbox causing it, it's the tuner resolving.
JC Fedorczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:54 AM   #50
xbr23

^^ thanks.
the lag was several seconds of black screen. not just a brief second but several seconds. all started after the XB was put into the equation.

changed XB from auto to HDMI. this required a hard reset of the XB so it would handshake with the Tivo again. also took a few seconds for the audio to come back.

still have the lag issues when switching tuners if one or more tuners is paused. it's mainly when you switch from a live tuner back to a paused tuner. black screen and long lag.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:09 PM   #51
JC Fedorczyk

Odd. I'm not seeing that with my roamio plus. What version TiVo?
JC Fedorczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:46 PM   #52
xbr23

Roamio Pro running the latest software. What is it now 23.8? Something like that. I am out of town this week. I will check when I get back.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:01 PM   #53
Bmaur34

April Tivo update rendered pass through with Xbox One to no longer work

With the latest update my Tivo Romeo Pro no longer will fast forward, rewind or view Netflix. Tivo said disconnect my Xbox,
Anyone figure out a fix?

2. TiVo 2 40Hr, Linksys USB200M, Hardwired to Network

Both with HMO Tivo To Go
Bmaur34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:26 PM   #54
HarperVision

You could try something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Gefen-EXT-HDMI...hdmi+detective
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 02:26 PM   #55
b_scott
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmaur34 View Post
With the latest update my Tivo Romeo Pro no longer will fast forward, rewind or view Netflix. Tivo said disconnect my Xbox,
Anyone figure out a fix?
why in the world would you use the Tivo's Netflix over Xbox One's anyway? "Xbox, go to Netflix" - bam.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:28 PM   #56
SQUIDWARD360

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post
why in the world would you use the Tivo's Netflix over Xbox One's anyway? "Xbox, go to Netflix" - bam.
If I'm already using Tivo, which is 99% of the time, it's easier to use Netflix on the Tivo then switching all the inputs to the Xbone and waiting for it all to load.
SQUIDWARD360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 06:04 AM   #57
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQUIDWARD360 View Post
If I'm already using Tivo, which is 99% of the time, it's easier to use Netflix on the Tivo then switching all the inputs to the Xbone and waiting for it all to load.
Yes but the user in question is passing through the XB1, which means the XB1 is already on and the TV is switched to it.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:18 AM   #58
aaronwt
HD Addict

Unfortunately audio from the XBOne HDMI input and it's apps are still borked. The surround audio still erroneously comes out of the rear surrounds.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:29 PM   #59
b_scott
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
Yes but the user in question is passing through the XB1, which means the XB1 is already on and the TV is switched to it.
this is what I'm saying.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:30 PM   #60
b_scott
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Unfortunately audio from the XBOne HDMI input and it's apps are still borked. The surround audio still erroneously comes out of the rear surrounds.
really? I don't have rear surrounds, only sides. I'll have to test it - I didn't notice that problem.