TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-23-2013, 11:16 AM   #1
kbmb

Any issues activating and not setting up same day?

Got my parents a couple of Roamio Basic units and a stream for Christmas (shhhh don't tell).

I was going to have them activate them Christmas day at my house online, but then I will be going to their house on Thursday to setup them up (they already have two TivoHD so they have the cards already....they'll just need to get paired again).

Any issues activating and then waiting to setup? Just want to make sure Tivo doesn't de-activate if the box doesn't connect right away.

Thanks.

-Kevin
kbmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 11:20 AM   #2
ADG
Allan

I've always purchased directly from Tivo with lifetime activation and they activate at the time of purchase. No, no problem. Once you activate they don't care what you do with it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 11:21 AM   #3
kbmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADG View Post
I've always purchased directly from Tivo with lifetime activation and they activate at the time of purchase. No, no problem. Once you activate they don't care what you do with it
Cool thanks.

-Kevin
Old 12-23-2013, 11:30 AM   #4
dtivouser

TC CLUB MEMBER
I tried to activate mine on a Friday afternoon but the supervisor that had authority to move my subscription had already left for the weekend. So it took until Monday morning for me.
dtivouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 12:49 PM   #5
ADG
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtivouser View Post
I tried to activate mine on a Friday afternoon but the supervisor that had authority to move my subscription had already left for the weekend. So it took until Monday morning for me.
Yes, you probably should not try to activate on Christmas Day. Do it today.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-23-2013, 02:03 PM   #6
StevesWeb
Grumpy Old Geek

With a TiVo new install it is almost certain an update will be required, so no matter what day you activate it can take several hours from out of box to ready to use with a populated program guide.

You can save time during your visit by doing all of that now. You could then power it up ready to use, this might reduce the new gadget terror some folks experience.

You are very good to your parents!
StevesWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 02:06 PM   #7
kbmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevesWeb View Post
With a TiVo new install it is almost certain an update will be required, so no matter what day you activate it can take several hours from out of box to ready to use with a populated program guide.

You can save time during your visit by doing all of that now. You could then power it up ready to use, this might reduce the new gadget terror some folks experience.

No doubt....I just setup my own Basic and had a couple updates to get through. I set aside the entire day on Thursday to get through it all. Just wanted to make sure there wasn't a delay on the activation itself that would cause the initial setup to be delayed.

-Kevin
Old 12-23-2013, 02:09 PM   #8
ADG
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevesWeb View Post

I suggest you do not want to set it up at your house. Even if you are both serviced by the same provider, the card needs to be provisioned based upon their account and subscription. But back to your original question - you're fine.

Old 12-23-2013, 02:20 PM   #9
kbmb

Thanks everyone.

Happy Holidays!

-Kevin
Old 12-23-2013, 03:36 PM   #10
tamathat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
Got my parents a couple of Roamio Basic units and a stream for Christmas (shhhh don't tell).

I was going to have them activate them Christmas day at my house online, but then I will be going to their house on Thursday to setup them up (they already have two TivoHD so they have the cards already....they'll just need to get paired again).

Any issues activating and then waiting to setup? Just want to make sure Tivo doesn't de-activate if the box doesn't connect right away.

Thanks.

-Kevin
another point to note.. the multistream tuner cards they need for roamio may be dif't from the tivohd cards. Double check that too
tamathat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 03:37 PM   #11
kbmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamathat View Post
another point to note.. the multistream tuner cards they need for roamio may be dif't from the tivohd cards. Double check that too
They are all set with those....I double checked when I was there at Thanksgiving. Moto M cards with the correct firmware.

-Kevin
Old 12-23-2013, 10:20 PM   #12
mchief
Morey

Kevin, can I adopt you?
Old 12-26-2013, 01:54 PM   #13
dtivouser

TC CLUB MEMBER
So how did it go, kbmb?
dtivouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 03:50 PM   #14
kbmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtivouser View Post
So how did it go, kbmb?
No problems activating on Christmas day.....got lifetime on both for $399.

Just set everything up.....no issues at all. Thanks to the Comcast CC line....cards re-paired in 10 minutes.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Parents are both very happy with the Roamios!!!

-Kevin