TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-23-2013, 08:43 PM   #1
patrone

OOH Downloading/Streaming to iPhone 5

I'm having trouble with OOH downloads on my iPhone. I'm connected to FIOS both at home and at the OOH location so bandwidth shouldn't be a limitation. However, the download is proceeding at a snails pace. It's estimating about a half hour to download a 500MB (half hour) tv show to my iPhone 5.

Is this typical for downloads? Is the bottleneck the TiVo Roamio? Or is it the iPhone speed? Any ideas?

Patrick

Ps. Out of home streaming is unusable. Quality is horrible, video stutters, not watchable.
patrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:00 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

That's typical. You have to remember it's not just transferring it's also recoding the video which is processor intensive.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 12:14 AM   #3
patrone

Disappointing but thanks!

Do we know what the max upload speed is for the Roamio? ie. would 10Mb/sec upload provide better quality than 5Mb?

Trying to figure out if the poor stream quality OOH could be improved via a stronger upload pipe. Have a hard time believing this is as good as it gets OOH when my in-home stream is near-flawless.

Has anyone put together a guide detailing optimum network settings for OOH streaming downloads? Again, I have serious doubts that this is as good as it gets for OOH tivo service. Thanks!
Old 12-24-2013, 12:50 AM   #4
patrone

Downloading while on the home network is nearly twice as fast. Do recordings get uploaded across the net when downloading on the home network? Or is it transferred directly to the receiving device?

If they are transferred directly, my guess is the bottleneck is the upload speed. If not, I'm really confused as to the difference in transfer times for home network vs OOH. Thoughts?
Old 12-24-2013, 12:55 AM   #5
moyekj

OOH currently uses a proxy server.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 01:22 AM   #6
patrone

So is it likely that the proxy server is responsible for my crappy OOH experience if My home network experience is stellar? It's either that or my 5Mb uplink isn't sufficient. If it's the proxy, is there any way to boost my connection to this proxy server? Network settings that will make the connection better? Anything I (or TiVo) can do to make this a bit more usable?

Thanks!
Old 12-24-2013, 01:28 AM   #7
moyekj

Your upload speed is fine considering highest quality download is only 2.24 Mbps video and live streaming uses less than that:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=511445
Best you can do OOH is highest quality download. Going through proxy slows you down and there's nothing you can do to improve things at the moment as long as the proxy is in place. At some point TiVo is supposed to do away with the proxy, but we don't know when for sure.

At the moment if you're looking for higher quality OOH video streaming then Slingbox will give you that.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 03:20 AM   #8
MikePA1

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrone View Post
So is it likely that the proxy server is responsible for my crappy OOH experience if My home network experience is stellar?
No one but you knows what you mean by 'crappy'.

My OOH experience (My home network experience is also 'stellar') is fine.
MikePA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:28 AM   #9
patrone

Crappy = pixilated, stuttering mess. Not a smooth experience. Quality never gets the last two dots. Significantly worse than a download at basic quality. Simply unwatchable.
Old 12-25-2013, 06:37 AM   #10
jimmypowder

Quote:
Crappy = pixilated, stuttering mess. Not a smooth experience. Quality never gets the last two dots. Significantly worse than a download at basic quality. Simply unwatchable.
Yeah streaming in my experience is garbage . When I can get it to work (not too often) it's a blurry mess .
jimmypowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 10:45 AM   #11
aristoBrat

Quote:
I'm up with family in PA (50MB down) and have been streaming to my iPhone from my home back in VA (5MB up), and the shows have been starting with all but the last two quality bars, and then about two minutes in, changing to all quality bars.

So if it's not bandwidth related (you've got FiOS on both ends), I wonder if TiVos are assigned to specific proxy servers, some of which are a lot busier than others? That doesn't make much sense, but TiVo occasionally does stuff I'd say doesn't make a lot of sense.

Series 3 OLED (x2)
DirecTiVo (x3)
Series 1
aristoBrat is offline   Reply With Quote