TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-20-2013, 08:04 PM   #1
Carlucci
Hiding The Decline

The Curse of Oak Island - History Channel Series - Whole season spoilers

Ever since I first saw an "In Search Of..." episode about this enigmatic island and its buried treasure, I've been interested.

Now The History Channel is presenting a series about two brothers who bought most of the island to continue the search.

http://www.history.com/shows/the-curse-of-oak-island

The series begins Jan 5, 2014. Anyone else looking forward to this?
Old 12-21-2013, 10:54 AM   #2
cannonz

I'm waiting for it too.
cannonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 04:24 PM   #3
Gregor

Thanks, one of the most curious things I've read about.

MK:3523-2615-6739

Do not taunt happy thread counts.
Gregor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 05:24 PM   #4
danterner
Not it!

Hadn't heard about it (the show, nor the history behind it). I just read through the Wikipedia page, and it sounds interesting - I'm in.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Twitter:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
danterner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:28 AM   #5
Hunter Green
Curmudgeon

I first heard about Oak Island in a children's magazine called Cricket in the October 1976 issue. It fascinated me so much, I still have that issue. I'm in.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:31 AM   #6
cheesesteak
Meh.

I'll be interested if it's not a reality show.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 09:41 AM   #7
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
I'll be interested if it's not a reality show.
It looks like a reality show (not a competition, but exaggerated reality) - the video promo talks about the curse and how six people have died so far and the curse says one more must die and the two brothers are going over. It's definitely hamming it up.
| Twitter:
danterner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 10:06 AM   #8
Donbadabon
Geocacher

I've always loved the story behind Oak Island money pit, but really, there is no treasure there.

If you buried treasure, would you provide clues that told people they were digging in the right spot and that it is located just 40 more feet until they find it? lol. Not likely. The only purpose for that stone is to keep the story going.

I will still watch though.
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 01:37 PM   #9
tiassa
Me --Avatar

I'm interested too, even though I don't think there is any treasure. I'm curious as to how he original "hole" was made. IIRC there was some pretty tricky engineering done in the hole.
tiassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 02:39 PM   #10
pmyers

Can't seem to find it in the guide data yet.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 06:04 PM   #11
Carlucci
Hiding The Decline

It's showing up on the DirecTV guide now.
Carlucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:41 AM   #12
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlucci View Post
It's showing up on the DirecTV guide now.
Thanks. Recording added. Man I love the DirecTV mobile app!
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 02:35 PM   #13
tiassa
Me --Avatar

It is in the Tivo guide now. SP set.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:52 PM   #14
Donbadabon
Geocacher

While I don't believe that any type of treasure exists on Oak Island (seriously, who would have time to bury something hundreds of feet below the surface and create 5 flooding channels), I did enjoy the pilot and am sticking with it.

Of course since we know this was filmed last year, if they actually found anything it would've been all over the news. So I am watching knowing they didn't uncover any treasure.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:19 PM   #15
Carlucci
Hiding The Decline

I liked it too. I just wish they would do a better job of separating hard facts from legend and conjecture. Is it an incontrovertible fact that the flooding "tunnels" were man-made, for instance.

I'll definitely keep watching, and I hope they do more to flesh out the real truth and not just feed the legend.

Last edited by Carlucci : 01-06-2014 at 09:29 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:23 PM   #16
billboard_NE
North Shore MA

I watched the first episode last night, looks like they have some money behind the effort, I'm in.

Who doesn't love a mystery.
billboard_NE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:08 AM   #17
Hunter Green
Curmudgeon

I'm gritting my teeth through this. The only way we're going to get a real investigation with the kind of equipment it'll take to have a chance of finding out who built all this and why, is to pay for it with a shamelessly exploitative, terrible show, and that's what we're getting. Them dragging out the artificial suspense on every little thing, and making all this overblown emphasis on the thinnest and most wild of legends, is really grating. I don't know if I'm going to be able to make it through five hours of that.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:05 PM   #18
Carlucci
Hiding The Decline

The 2nd episode:

At least now we know that there really are old coconut fibers in at least one spot on the island. But really, do you need that to justify the continued search? To me, the fact that somebody constructed a pit with wooden plank barriers every x feet is enough to justify a full excavation thereof.

I did like the additional details on the Knights Templar theory.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:22 AM   #19
Carlucci
Hiding The Decline

Episode 3:

Yeah, this show blows.

How much more interesting it would have been if presented as a straight-up documentary. They are sapping all my interest with this "reality" format.

I'm going to keep watching, because my 10-year old daughter has become fascinated by it, and it's leading us to some great discussions on science, myths, and healthy skepticism.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:28 AM   #20
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
Yeah I am really disappointed as well.

I didn't expect any major shakeups such as finding treasure, given that nothing has come out in the past year, but the format they have chosen is just plain terrible.

They start threads, and then totally abandon them and start new threads.

There are only 5 episodes total, and it seems that at least 75% of each episode is total trash or recaps.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:56 AM   #21
Donbadabon
Geocacher

It was odd how they just abandoned the shaft and decided to focus on the swamp.

I don't know why I keep watching, but I do. lol. I guess I want to see what happens next.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:30 AM   #22
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

I had never heard of Oak Island before seeing this thread today. I read the Wikipedia article on it and it got me really excited about this TV show. Now I read these last posts in the thread and I'm completely turned off. Fake drama is the biggest thing I hate in reality TV. It would be nice if they just made a documentary on the history of the island and such. I'd watch that in a second.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:34 AM   #23
ClutchBrake
Pass the gravy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffer View Post
I had never heard of Oak Island before seeing this thread today. I read the Wikipedia article on it and it got me really excited about this TV show. Now I read these last posts in the thread and I'm completely turned off. Fake drama is the biggest thing I hate in reality TV. It would be nice if they just made a documentary on the history of the island and such. I'd watch that in a second.
I was in the same boat as you. Tried to watch an episode and couldn't get through it. Pretty lame. Might as well have been a searching for Bigfoot or Loch Ness Monster show.

Bachelorhood: Life, liberty, and the happiness of pursuit.

Xbox Live: ClutchBrake
ClutchBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:13 AM   #24
jgickler
Mr. Rolleyes

It would be interesting if they talked about some of the natural or non-treasure related theories for Oak Island. The really interesting one I had seen was basically a viking ship turned on end. But I'm sure that Shakespeare's lost plays or the ark or the covenant are more exciting then a viking ship, even if it is a much more reasonable explanation.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:38 PM   #25
SoupMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlucci View Post
Episode 3:

Yeah, this show blows.

How much more interesting it would have been if presented as a straight-up documentary. They are sapping all my interest with this "reality" format.
I came to the same conclusion after watching the first episode and deleted the season pass. I did check the wikipedia page first to make sure I wasn't going to miss anything.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:05 AM   #26
efilippi

I'd given up but looked at the most recent one last night, figuring they would have gotten past the bits where the lady was mourning her long dead son/husband/whatever. Starts with them ready to drain the swamp, some action! Off and on fast forward to get past all the baloney bits and then the start the pumps, in the last 20 seconds of the show. What a waste.

History channel was good when it was all about Hitler.
efilippi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:24 AM   #27
LifeIsABeach

I am watching because I have always been fascinated by Oak Island (years ago I read the same article the brothers did, but never quite got obsessed like they did). At the end of the last episode it said, "On the next episode", but I don't see anything listed on my TiVo. Has the show been cancelled? Taking a hiatus for Super Bowl Sunday?
Old 01-29-2014, 11:58 AM   #28
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
Guide data screw up this week.

The re-run at 5pm eastern (episode 3) was labeled as Episode 4 and marked NEW. If you use TiVo this was recorded as the first airing of Ep 4.

The correct episode 4 ran at 10pm eastern, the normal broadcast time.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:11 PM   #29
tiassa
Me --Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by zordude View Post
Guide data screw up this week.

The re-run at 5pm eastern (episode 3) was labeled as Episode 4 and marked NEW. If you use TiVo this was recorded as the first airing of Ep 4.

The correct episode 4 ran at 10pm eastern, the normal broadcast time.
Yeah, I got caught by that. I picked up the episode from On Demand.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:54 PM   #30
Carlucci
Hiding The Decline

Episode 4:

Ok, so now are we finally getting somewhere? I thought it was pretty great that the dude predicted the location of another stone based on some crazy code hidden in the works of Shakespeare, and they did in fact find a stone within a reasonable distance. Sure, it's probably just a coincidence, but it was enough to redeem that episode, at least.

Now we're getting ready to see if the "vault" does in fact lie in the other spot he predicted, and the metal detector/metal probing seems to indicate that something is there, which of course, will waste the entire episode before they end with another cliffhanger.

Still not happy with the format. Oak Island is just begging for a "Final Report" type treatment. That NatGeo show was amazing for cutting through the crap and dealing only in facts.

Also, does anyone else think Marty Lagina looks exactly like Dustin Hoffman and Elliot Gould had a baby?