TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Stream
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-22-2013, 10:26 PM   #31
moyekj

HDMI input is useless anyway since it would only work for channels without HDCP which are almost none of them. Hence 350 is sufficient.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 11:50 PM   #32
JSY

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
HDMI input is useless anyway since it would only work for channels without HDCP which are almost none of them. Hence 350 is sufficient.
Oh, is that true? Ahh, thanks for the tip.

Edit: I noticed you answered this twice now in this thread - don't know how I missed it above! I do have another question. I remember this same issue with my original Slingbox.. and I'm wondering if it's the same with the new Slingbox.

When I would have it connected via component.. and try to access it from OOH - I would get a HDCP error anyway because I think the HDMI switchbox that my TiVo output to would be off and somehow that made it think I was trying to access it without HDCP. I take it that that is not an issue..

I remember I paid like $30 for the Android app so maybe I can salvage some use out of it.

Last edited by JSY : 12-23-2013 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Additional question...
JSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 07:04 PM   #33
jimmypowder

I would not in any way shape or form buy a Tivo for it's streaming capabilities which are quite weak compared to a Slingbox . While the tivo boxes are good for recording and have a nice interface they have a lot to learn about streaming over the internet .
jimmypowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 08:17 PM   #34
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSY View Post
When I would have it connected via component.. and try to access it from OOH - I would get a HDCP error anyway because I think the HDMI switchbox that my TiVo output to would be off and somehow that made it think I was trying to access it without HDCP. I take it that that is not an issue..
Depending on what you connect to yes it can still be an issue. My TV doesn't keep HDMI handshake alive in standby mode so has the problem. I resolved the issue by getting an active HDMI splitter to which my TiVo HDMI output connects to and then splitter connects to TV. Hence as far as TiVo is concerned it's always connected to active HDMI connection and hence problem is avoided and component output which goes to Slingbox is always clear of that annoying HDCP message.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 10:42 PM   #35
JSY

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Depending on what you connect to yes it can still be an issue. My TV doesn't keep HDMI handshake alive in standby mode so has the problem. I resolved the issue by getting an active HDMI splitter to which my TiVo HDMI output connects to and then splitter connects to TV. Hence as far as TiVo is concerned it's always connected to active HDMI connection and hence problem is avoided and component output which goes to Slingbox is always clear of that annoying HDCP message.
Thanks for this... After reading your note and then looking up the 350 vs 500 - it seems that the 500 would not be very useful for me as even they recommend keeping both HDMI and component hooked up to compensate for HDCP. That and I noticed that the 350 is on sale for $128 made me take the plunge for it and to go the route you suggested above with an active splitter. That sounds like it would solve my problems too and be exactly what I'm looking for.

And Best Buy is having a thing until Dec 28th with a $15 gift card for spending over $100 - so it makes it even cheaper.

Last edited by JSY : 12-26-2013 at 10:50 PM. Reason: Edit: Best Buy mention..
JSY is offline   Reply With Quote