TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-23-2013, 02:08 PM   #1
shamilian

20.3.8 black menu bug after delete/keep dialogue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by univers View Post
Since the 20.3.8 update 2 days ago, I've been having a problem when I'm viewing a recording, reach the end and select 'Delete'. (Not sure if it would happen if I chose to keep the recording.)

Instead of seeing the 'My Shows' screen, I get only black.

The remote still functions and I can blindly select another recording to play, which then restores the display.

This has happened probably 5 or 6 times in 2 days, so somewhere between 10 and 20% of the time. Some of these were downloaded videos (CNET), others recordings from cable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by weaver View Post
I've seen this too. You can also go to live TV and then back to TiVo Central to bring the menus back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerdad72 View Post
I'm seeing this too, in fact it's the reason I checked and discovered I received the 20.3.8 update. It happens pretty consistently. TiVo Premiere XL, watching previously recorded shows from cable.

Never saw this behavior before.
I am having this issue so far I have noticed it on 2 of 6 tivos.

It only happens if I select delete from the pop up dialogue at the end of a recording. If I select keep the menu system works fine.

If you have the video in the corner on, then you see that as well as the black screen.

If I press liveTV or Guide then everything works again. Although I have lost my place in the My Shows list. ( The Tivo button does not work.)

Thought it may be an hdmi issue, I switched to analog but nothing brings back the menus other than those 2 buttons.

This happens randomly on only 2 of my Tivos, a 2 tuner and a 4 tuner. Configuration is the same as my other 4 tivos...
shamilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:54 PM   #2
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Add me to the list.....But I have had to unplug and reboot on the Roamio Pro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
I have seen this a few times on my Roamio Pro, Last night even the "Format" button on the back would not reboot the unit, I had to unplug the unit. The LiveTV Video was still playing in the Preview Window but no commands would work, I left it for 15 minutes and tried to reset the UI, but nothing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:55 PM   #3
moyekj

So this issue doesn't affect every TiVo? I'm not seeing the problem on my Roamio Pro. I tried several shows choosing to delete at end of playback and works fine for me. I don't use the detestable video/preview window if that makes a difference.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:50 PM   #4
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Has anybody tried this, when blind, and contemplating the power cord to get the menus/display back?:

1. Press TiVo button

2. Press Thumbs Down, Thumbs Up, Play, Play

If no luck:

3. Don't do anything else yet, repeat one more time (steps 1-2), except use Record, Record as the last two UI reboot initiation sequence remote buttons.

Obviously, I have the same problem with (apparently) the HDMI handshake being corrupted, resulting in nothing on my TV.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:34 PM   #5
moyekj

This kind of problem probably needs more data in terms of video output settings. I have only 1080i & 1080p/24 selected as valid outputs and have not had this problem.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:48 PM   #6
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
This kind of problem probably needs more data in terms of video output settings. I have only 1080i & 1080p/24 selected as valid outputs and have not had this problem.
Agreed:

This "bug" hits both my Premiere and Roamios, since 20.3.8.

Premiere is set to native mode (all modes enabled).

Roamios are set to 1080p/60 & 18080p/24 ONLY.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 11:01 PM   #7
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

its happened to me a few times after getting the update, just by hitting the Tivo button to check something in the menus.... the video preview window continued on merrily... the fixes varied. sometimes hitting left to go back to the program worked, or just knowing where I was at in the UI and selecting a different program to play, or sometimes having to reset the HDUI

Seems to have calmed down now for me, I haven't gotten it in the last day or two.
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:06 AM   #8
shamilian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
Has anybody tried this, when blind, and contemplating the power cord to get the menus/display back?:

1. Press TiVo button

2. Press Thumbs Down, Thumbs Up, Play, Play

If no luck:

3. Don't do anything else yet, repeat one more time (steps 1-2), except use Record, Record as the last two UI reboot initiation sequence remote buttons.

Obviously, I have the same problem with (apparently) the HDMI handshake being corrupted, resulting in nothing on my TV.
The tivo button does not work ( I assume I would be at tivo central with a black screen )

I tried rebooting the UI, as well as the Tivo on occasion but the bug continued. ( The tivo behaved normally and the bug still happens )

To get the menus to display liveTV or Guide button always works.

This is not an HDMI issue. I converted to component and still have the issue. I also turned on the video window and it always works, I get a black menu screen with a video in the corner.
Old 12-24-2013, 09:14 AM   #9
shamilian

Quote:
So this issue doesn't affect every TiVo? I'm not seeing the problem on my Roamio Pro. I tried several shows choosing to delete at end of playback and works fine for me. I don't use the detestable video/preview window if that makes a difference.
no not all Tivos are affected.
( I have not figured out what makes this happen on one tivo and not on another, my tivos have about the same config.)

I have 4 P4s, 1 is affected
I have 2 P2s, 1 is affected

the video preview window has no affect except to show that hdmi/output display is working correctly. The menu system is just not being drawn.
Old 12-24-2013, 10:36 AM   #10
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamilian View Post
no not all Tivos are affected.
( I have not figured out what makes this happen on one tivo and not on another, my tivos have about the same config.)

I have 4 P4s, 1 is affected
I have 2 P2s, 1 is affected

the video preview window has no affect except to show that hdmi/output display is working correctly. The menu system is just not being drawn.
And what are your video output settings for each? Is there something different about the settings for the 2 that are not affected?

Old 12-26-2013, 11:26 AM   #11
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Same here on the Elite and haven't seen the issue after 20.3.8.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 01:18 PM   #12
Donbadabon
Geocacher

Quote:
Same here. Only have those 2 resolutions set, have 3.8, and haven't had this issue either.
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 09:46 AM   #13
shamilian

I have had 480p, 720p, and 1080i set.
As an experiment I selected only 720p and 1080i, this had no effect.
(it sounds like many of you are running 1080i most of the time)

I have 6 Tivos only 2 have this issue, the other 4 are working fine.
They all have the same configuration.

This issue only started after 20.3.8

I am currently running a disk scan...
The disk is just about the only unique thing ( theory: if there is a disk read failure or retry maybe it causes some timing glitch )
Old 12-27-2013, 10:23 AM   #14
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

There's really no reason to select anything other than 1080i and p, so try that. You won't see any difference and won't have any mode sync delays, and it might fix your black screen issue if it's indeed caused by a res switch.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:52 PM   #15
shamilian

The disk scan did not do anything.

Limiting the video mode to only 1080i seems to fix it.

I was able to force the problem by:

switching to a 720p live TV ( abc network )
press the tivo button ( forces the menu into 720p mode )
select my shows.
find a group with 1080i shows.
play a show
go to the end
select delete in dialog

sometimes returns to group list in 720p mode ( TV shows 720p mode)
sometimes returns to a black list ( TV shows still 1080i mode)

I was also able to cause the bug on a TV/Tivo that did not show the problem before, by changing the video settings to include 720p and 1080i.

I also noticed that it does not always change the TV mode when playing a 1080i if it was in 720p before it will sometimes just leave it in that mode.

They have botched the video resolution modes in this version of the OS!
Old 12-28-2013, 08:51 AM   #16
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

As I said, who cares - you won't see a diff vs. native anyway and won't have a res mode sync delay (flashing screen etc.) by setting it to 1080i/p fixed.

As usual with this update, Tivo breaks as much stuff as they fix. This has been the pattern for a long time now.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:47 AM   #17
moose53

I've seen this thread popping up when I review the postings for the day.

I have NOT been updated yet. Wasn't too impressed with the last update ... as far as I'm concerned, it broke Youtube ... can't see playlists anymore.

Anyway, I haven't been watching much Netflix since they got rid of their notifications to instantwatcher.com about upcoming expirations. I've been mostly streaming/torrenting movies lately.

Yesterday, because of all the Christmas movies in my Netflix queue, I figured I'd start cleaning out my queue.

Every ... single ... time, I watch something to the end, my screen goes black (dark gray, actually). I never get the option to remove the item from the queue ... goes straight to black. The only thing that gets me out of it is pressing the Tivo button.

This is **IRRITATING**. I have not been updated yet. I want to put concrete barriers in front of my Tivo to keep the latest update from coming. Obviously, it's going to make things #worse.

Barb

PS: I'm set to only 720p.

PS2: I changed from 720p to 1080i/1080p and was able to watch an entire episode without the screen blacking out.

Last edited by moose53 : 12-29-2013 at 08:17 AM.
moose53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 05:03 PM   #18
Jeff_DML

subscribing since I am getting this. I am configured for native output but the wife if complaining so I guess I will configure to 1080i only until fixed.
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:35 AM   #19
Sanjoseguy

I've been having this same issue. I thought it was due to my Xbox One but now I see it's my actual Tivo. I am able to bring things back by doing "thumb down, thumb up, play, play" to restart my user interface.

At least I'm not alone!

SJ
Sanjoseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:21 PM   #20
Rassilon

I've also been having the issue since getting the newest update and figured I'd come here and see if anybody else was as well. I also see it if I just hit the TiVo button and I was watching live TV (it doesn't have to be at the end of a recorded program).

My setup has 720p, 1080i, and 1080p (passthru) activated. I do have the HD menus enabled as well. I haven't paid enough attention to notice if it always happens from switching to the TiVo menus from say 720p or 1080i sources. I'll try to keep an eye on that next time I see it.

It's pretty annoying though so hopefully the root cause can get found and fixed. If I could downgrade I would as I'd rather have the menus function properly then the (much nicer) Netflix interface.
Rassilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:14 PM   #21
Davelnlr_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rassilon View Post
It's pretty annoying though so hopefully the root cause can get found and fixed. If I could downgrade I would as I'd rather have the menus function properly then the (much nicer) Netflix interface.
If you have a 1080 native panel in your tv, uncheck all resolutions except 1080i and 1080p passthrough, and the bug will disappear.
If you have a 720p panel, check only the 720p box.

Apparently the bug has to do with mixing resolutions from the menu and the program source. Locking it to one resolution seems to fix it for now.
Davelnlr_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:14 AM   #22
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davelnlr_ View Post
If you have a 1080 native panel in your tv, uncheck all resolutions except 1080i and 1080p passthrough, and the bug will disappear.
If you have a 720p panel, check only the 720p box.

Apparently the bug has to do with mixing resolutions from the menu and the program source. Locking it to one resolution seems to fix it for now.
That may help, but it can still happen, I have only one fixed resolution selected, and it still is occasionally happening to both my Premieres and Roamio Pro.

I thought maybe I was just moving too fast for the UI to follow the commands, so I have slowed down remote presses on the Roamio.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:33 AM   #23
shamilian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
That may help, but it can still happen, I have only one fixed resolution selected, and it still is occasionally happening to both my Premieres and Roamio Pro.

I thought maybe I was just moving too fast for the UI to follow the commands, so I have slowed down remote presses on the Roamio.
Have you confirmed, using your TV remote, what resolution the TV is seeing?

For your bug, my guess is that they have to build the menu in the resolution they are displaying and for some reason they get it wrong sometimes.

For my bug, either they are forgetting to set the resolution back to the resolution that the menu was previously displaying or the setting of the resolution is failing.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:40 AM   #24
shamilian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rassilon View Post
I've also been having the issue since getting the newest update and figured I'd come here and see if anybody else was as well. I also see it if I just hit the TiVo button and I was watching live TV (it doesn't have to be at the end of a recorded program).

My setup has 720p, 1080i, and 1080p (passthru) activated. I do have the HD menus enabled as well. I haven't paid enough attention to notice if it always happens from switching to the TiVo menus from say 720p or 1080i sources. I'll try to keep an eye on that next time I see it.

I have noticed that setting the resolution fails other times as well...
(I was able to confirm with TV telling me what resolution was really being sent)

I think I may have a new work-around that is more acceptable if you do not want to fix one video resolution. ( I haven't tested it )

After you get the black screen,
press live TV
press up arrow to force the other format
press left to go back to the menu you came from.
I think you should see the menu now.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:28 PM   #25
Nochance

I started having this problems with my Premiere a few weeks ago after deleting a program I just watched from the delete popup menu. I found the thumbs up/down play twice trick and it fixed my issue temporarily.

Now, my problem has gotten to the point that just clicking the Tivo button blacks out my menu screen. Yea, the temp fix restores it at that moment, but this has gotten beyond annoying.

I've read through this thread and setting the 1080i/p resolution was something I previously tried to stop Netflix from blanking out my screen. Unfortunately, this caused all non-1080 reolution recordings to have a terrible static line across the top of the TV. So, I cannot use this to try to fix this problem.

I'm absolutely so frustrated by this. I have a Roamio sitting unopened and I was going to give this to my parents, but there is no way I can do this given the way it's acting.

What can we do to get Tivo to fix this? It's unacceptable.
Nochance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:40 PM   #26
shamilian

I just tweeted Margret yesterday. She asked for more detail which I emailed her... So hopefully something will start to be done soon.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:09 PM   #27
ncfoster

Have been having this black screen problem for a little while here on a Tivo Premiere. Just had my first one where no key presses seemed to restore functionality. All previous incidents, pressing "Guide" or "Live TV" seemed to do the trick.

I was watching delayed 480i programming (in 480p), and trying to press the Tivo button caused the black screen. I had 480p, 1080i and 1080p outputs selected. I thought that I had 720p selected as well, and I am almost wonder if one of the previous software updates disabled it by default.
ncfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:14 AM   #28
shamilian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncfoster View Post
Have been having this black screen problem for a little while here on a Tivo Premiere. Just had my first one where no key presses seemed to restore functionality. All previous incidents, pressing "Guide" or "Live TV" seemed to do the trick.

I was watching delayed 480i programming (in 480p), and trying to press the Tivo button caused the black screen. I had 480p, 1080i and 1080p outputs selected. I thought that I had 720p selected as well, and I am almost wonder if one of the previous software updates disabled it by default.
Live TV followed by multiple up arrows should always restore video.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:31 PM   #29
shamilian

Here is an image of black menu with preview window on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blackmenu.jpg (71.4 KB, 64 views)
Old 01-22-2014, 01:19 AM   #30
alanpgh

I've had the same problem with my Tivo Premiere XL since 20.3.8.
i think Tivo needs to send out an update.

I have now set video to 1080i and 1080p only, and the problem has not occurred again over the past 2-3 hours. It was very repeatable before I limited the settings to 1080i and 1080p.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Please keep us posted on any other slightly strange problems like this.
alanpgh is offline   Reply With Quote