TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-23-2013, 05:31 PM   #1
rambler

What's the newest Tivo that still allows you to read captions as you fast forward?

Thanks and Merry Cmas.
rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 05:48 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

None. I know it's a feature on some other DVRs, and some DVD players I think, but AFAIK TiVo has never done it.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 05:58 PM   #3
GBL
covert opiniative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
None. I know it's a feature on some other DVRs, and some DVD players I think, but AFAIK TiVo has never done it.
Dan, you are mis-remembering .

AFIK, Series 1 and Series 3 are capable of displaying close captions at 1x fast forward speeds. Don't now about Series 4 or 5, don't have either.

Perhaps someone with a Premiere or Roamio can test it for the OP.

unpaid volunteer, TiVo army
GBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 06:24 PM   #4
justen_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBL View Post
AFIK, Series 1 and Series 3 are capable of displaying close captions at 1x fast forward speeds. Don't now about Series 4 or 5, don't have either.
FWIW, my TivoHD shows CC at 1x FF. Like you, I am unable to check anything newer, yet.
justen_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 06:33 PM   #5
Dan203
Super Moderator

Hmmm.... I don't remember that being an option. But I guess if the TV is doing the caption rendering then it wouldn't matter. At least not at 1x FF. At the faster speeds the CCs would likely be sporadic depending on which frames were being output. Although for the S3 unit that would only be the case if it was connected via component or composite. HDMI has no concept of captions. The signal has to be analog for the TV to decode captions.

That being said I just tested it on my Premiere connected via HDMI, so the software is doing the caption rendering and not the TV, and it does not work while FFing. Might if you connected via component or composite, but I don't have time to test that right now.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:05 PM   #6
59er
TiVotee

TiVo eliminated the FFx1 CC capability during a software update about 2 years ago, and at the time Margret said it would never be able to come back. This was a big disappointment to me.
59er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:15 PM   #7
JSY

Confirmed - no go on the Roamio Pro.
JSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:28 PM   #8
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Yeah, I believe that Tivo HD is the newest that will do it (at 1x FF).
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:57 PM   #9
astrohip
Stuart F

The Series 3 still have this feature. Both the S3 and the HD do it.

When the Premieres came out, they also had it. My Elite did it. Then they had a software update (maybe 20.x.x.?), and lost that ability. It was a major update, a complete code rewrite, and the ability to display captions at FF1X was lost. And as 59er noted, Margret said it was not something they could add back. Ever. Very disappointing, as it was a feature I used daily.

For a long time I kept an S3 active just for this, but finally retired it when I bought a Roamio Pro.

Quote:
Hmmm.... I don't remember that being an option. But I guess if the TV is doing the caption rendering then it wouldn't matter.
It was the TiVo doing the work, not the TV. There was code that allowed captions to display at FF1X, no different than the way they regularly displayed.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 12:13 AM   #10
Dan203
Super Moderator

I wonder why they would take that away? Were there any other caption related updates in that release?
Old 12-24-2013, 12:28 AM   #11
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
I wonder why they would take that away? Were there any other caption related updates in that release?
I'd suspect that the loss of the 1xFF captioning was more an unintentional consequence of some other more major and fundamental architectural change, which is probably why they said it was gone and would never ever be able to come back.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:41 AM   #12
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
I'd suspect that the loss of the 1xFF captioning was more an unintentional consequence of some other more major and fundamental architectural change, which is probably why they said it was gone and would never ever be able to come back.
It's what Loadstar says. I remember conversing with Margret after this happened, and she said they had rewritten the entire code base that the newer TiVos operate under. And whether it was intentional or not, it was gone and ain't never comin' back.

I could do a forum search and find the posts about this, but I'm too busy right now making up excuses for not having wrapped any presents yet.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 11:38 AM   #13
retired_guy

Quote:
Hmmm.... I don't remember that being an option. But I guess if the TV is doing the caption rendering then it wouldn't matter. At least not at 1x FF. At the faster speeds the CCs would likely be sporadic depending on which frames were being output. Although for the S3 unit that would only be the case if it was connected via component or composite. HDMI has no concept of captions. The signal has to be analog for the TV to decode captions.

That being said I just tested it on my Premiere connected via HDMI, so the software is doing the caption rendering and not the TV, and it does not work while FFing. Might if you connected via component or composite, but I don't have time to test that right now.
Dan, it also works with a HDMI connection on the S3. It's the main reason my wife wants to keep the S3. I've done such things as copied programs from a Premiere to the S3 just to display captions during ff1. Some programs develop so slowly the only way we can tolerate watching them is with fast forward captions.
1 TiVo HD 1TB Lifetime
retired_guy is offline   Reply With Quote