TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-22-2013, 10:24 PM   #1
RickStrobel

HDMI output not working no matter what on Roamio Plus

Have had my Roamio Plus and TiVo Mini setup for less than a week. This morning the HDMI output on the Plus won't work no matter what I try. Everything else works. I can use the component output from the Plus to drive my TV. The Mini works. Everything seems fine, except for HDMI.

I've tried:
  • power cycle
  • leave unplugged for 30 minutes
  • move Plus to different TV
  • plug in Series 3 to TV that Mini was on, using same HDMI cable, works fine.
  • Plus on new TV and HDMI won't work where a Premiere, Series 3 and Mini all worked fine.

I think I've ruled out every combination I can think of. My Software Version is 20.3.8-USA-6-848.

I've seen the threads about an HDMI standby bug where you use a few tricks to get it to come back. I tried those a little bit, but didn't dig in too deep since power cycles didn't help.

Is it time for a warranty replacement or is there some trick I can use to get this back?
RickStrobel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 11:27 PM   #2
billcumley

Angry Same Problem, HDMI connection

I have had a Roamio for a few months now and everything was working fine.
I moved some things around and had to reconnect the Roamio. Now I cant get anything out of it. If I power cycle it the system displays audio, goes through the setfup and has no sound. I've been looking throught these postings and found yours and immediately knew we have the same problem. Someone Help Us Please!
billcumley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 11:43 PM   #3
justen_m

The HDMI went out on my TivoHD. It happened when I slid the Tivo box a couple inches to the left. Seems to have broken the HDMI port connection to the Tivo motherboard. Sometimes if I wiggle the cable it will work for a bit. I gave up and switched to component video and optical digital audio from Tivo to my receiver.

I think the connector is physically fragile. I think this might be the same problem Bill is having [edit: Correction, that's not true. I don't get ANYTHING thru HDMI, ever. No signal at all, so not the same as Bill's. Rick might have the same problem I do.]. Rick, too, if you moved your Tivo even the slightest, or even hit the cord, or did anything that could apply even a tiny amount of stress to the HDMI port in the Tivo.

I too tried everything. The cables are fine. The receiver/tv is fine. It is definitely a hardware problem on my out-of-warranty Tivo. At least component still works, but now I've got four cables instead of one. Grrr.

Last edited by justen_m : 12-23-2013 at 02:33 AM.
justen_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 12:00 AM   #4
RickStrobel

Quote:
Originally Posted by billcumley View Post
I have had a Roamio for a few months now and everything was working fine.
I moved some things around and had to reconnect the Roamio. Now I cant get anything out of it. If I power cycle it the system displays audio, goes through the setfup and has no sound. I've been looking throught these postings and found yours and immediately knew we have the same problem. Someone Help Us Please!
Not sure that we do. Everything works on mine except HDMI output. Sounds like nothing works on yours. Mine wasn't moved or anything to precede the problem.
RickStrobel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 12:29 AM   #5
aaronwt
HD Addict

If the HDMI port isn't working then you should send it in to get fixed. So far I've never had an issues with any TiVo HDMI ports going back to 2004 with the DirecTV HD TiVo.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 07:41 AM   #6
mishafp

Did you get this problem fixed? I seem to be having the same issue out of nowhere this morning after 6 months of my Roamio working with no problem. The restart and standby techniques did not fix it...
mishafp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 03:03 PM   #7
fastermac

Arrow HDMI problem.

After almost 6 months of trouble free operation the Roamio Pro started a loop where it flashed a message on the TV and then a black screen. The message said that the provider does not allow an HDMI connection for this content. The problem occurred on all channels.

A reboot fixed the issue. I hope it does not return. No problems on either Mini. Roamio was recently updated to new software.

Last edited by fastermac : 04-27-2014 at 03:09 PM.
fastermac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 03:41 PM   #8
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastermac View Post
After almost 6 months of trouble free operation the Roamio Pro started a loop where it flashed a message on the TV and then a black screen. The message said that the provider does not allow an HDMI connection for this content. The problem occurred on all channels.

A reboot fixed the issue. I hope it does not return. No problems on either Mini. Roamio was recently updated to new software.
I only got that message when I had something connected to the SD input of my old TV, and that input (SD) had a signal on it.

Old 04-27-2014, 05:23 PM   #9
fastermac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
I only got that message when I had something connected to the SD input of my old TV, and that input (SD) had a signal on it.
Thanks for the info but I run everything through a Yamaha receiver which is the only device connected to the TV. This setup worked fine for almost 6 months. No changes to my setup that would have caused the glitch.

Also after the software update the Minis could not find the Roamio on the network. Again a reboot fixed that problem.

The only variable that has changed in my setup is the software update to the Tivo's.
fastermac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:58 AM   #10
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastermac View Post
Thanks for the info but I run everything through a Yamaha receiver which is the only device connected to the TV. This setup worked fine for almost 6 months. No changes to my setup that would have caused the glitch.

Also after the software update the Minis could not find the Roamio on the network. Again a reboot fixed that problem.

The only variable that has changed in my setup is the software update to the Tivo's.
The HDMI security may have just got more picky in the new update.