TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:50 PM   #1
smbaker

Moving cable card from Premiere to Roamio

The faq says this:

Quote:
Can I use my old CableCARD in my new TiVo DVR?

You may use a CableCARD from an earlier generation TiVo box, but it must be a Multi-stream CableCARD (M-Card). Single-stream cards are not supported by TiVo Roamio boxes. Simply move the Multi-stream CableCARD from your old TiVo box to your new TiVo box and follow the instructions on the installation menus that automatically appear on your TV screen.
Is it really that easy? or will I have to get the cable company involved to un-pair the card from the old Premiere and re-pair it with the new Roamio? I'm a comcast subscriber.
smbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 05:05 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

You have to call and un-pair/re-pair.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 05:08 PM   #3
smbaker

Any comcast users have reports on how easy it is to do this? Do the phone reps know what you're talking about?
Old 12-19-2013, 05:13 PM   #4
Dan203
Super Moderator

I think I remember seeing a post from someone with a direct line to contact the Comcast CableCARD experts. It was in this forum somewhere. Try searching around.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:35 PM   #5
tdeegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbaker View Post
The faq says this:

Is it really that easy? or will I have to get the cable company involved to un-pair the card from the old Premiere and re-pair it with the new Roamio? I'm a comcast subscriber.
It's that easy. I'm a Comcast subscriber. I pulled the cable card from my XL4 and plugged it into my Roamio Pro. Called into Tivo's CableCard dept and conference called with a Comcast tech. All of my tuners were working within 10 minutes or so.
tdeegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 06:27 PM   #6
Irishb

I moved my cablecard from a premiere to a roamio with no problem. I spent 5 minutes on the phone while the Comcast CSR paired the card and Tivo. No problems. Painless.
Irishb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 06:39 PM   #7
JSY

I'm actually going to do this soon as my Roamio arrives tomorrow. I have been trying to find if there is a special number I can call for Time Warner (NYC) cable card service but my search in these forums have been unsuccessful so far. Does anyone know if one exists? Would love to avoid talking to people who have no clue as to what I'm trying to do.
JSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:02 PM   #8
59er
TiVotee

For TWC, try (866) 532-2598.
59er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:06 PM   #9
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

TiVo has a pretty complete list of national cablecard numbers at http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2747
Old 12-19-2013, 09:59 PM   #10
Elgato54

When I moved mine the Cox Cablecard support number was displayed on the init screen.
Elgato54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 03:25 PM   #11
joy_division

I am not a Comcast subscriber, so this does not help you, but maybe it will help someone who has Fios if they are looking here.

I pulled the cablecard out of my Tivo HD and put it in my Roamio. Booted it up and it went to the cablecard screen. I picked "test channels" and it worked right off the bat. No calls to Verizon.

I have only Showtime as premium channels, so that may also be a factor.
joy_division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 03:36 PM   #12
Dan203
Super Moderator

On FIOS the only channels that are protected are HBO and Cinemax. If you ever get those channels you will have to call and have it paired before they will work.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:32 PM   #13
JSY

Thanks for the useful info above on which numbers to call! I received my Roamio Pro today but a bit tired and besides it's too late to set up. Will try it tomorrow!
Old 12-21-2013, 04:10 AM   #14
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSY View Post
Thanks for the useful info above on which numbers to call! I received my Roamio Pro today but a bit tired and besides it's too late to set up. Will try it tomorrow!
That's it, you're not worthy.......send it back!
HarperVision is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 09:32 AM   #15
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Any comcast users have reports on how easy it is to do this? Do the phone reps know what you're talking about?
Very easy for me when I moved a card from an HD to an Elite, just call the CC number and give them the info for the new box. Should be done by the time you get off the call, don't believe the 'can take up to 45 mins.' line they give you. If it's not fully paired within 5-10 minutes (i.e. all premiums, Encores etc. work) they didn't do it right.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 01:28 PM   #16
dreite

I moved my Comcast cablecard last night from Premiere to Roamio. I was lucky enough to get a gal who's English was good enough I could understand and I could actually hear her tapping the keys on her computer. She said "I'll send it now" and the box was working within two seconds.
dreite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 01:59 PM   #17
JSY

Okay, my experience today:

Called the TWC support numbers above and had to wait for an hour on hold.. Arrrgh, but once connected, the person knew exactly what to do and it was done in about 5 minutes. More time was spent waiting for the Roamio to check CP Auth I think. It went amazingly well.

HOWEVER, I still don't have my TiVo account switched over! I called them first and they were having system problems and it's been escalated. They are supposed to call me in a few hours.. :-/ I'm about to leave my home so if they do call, I'll miss it.

I fooled around with it and I have to admit the 6 tuners is a bit cool. I like switching between the tuners and then able to skip back on the channel that I was not watching.

Hopefully TiVo can switch my service plan soon because that message to activate is annoying!

Thanks!
Old 12-22-2013, 08:54 AM   #18
AAinCal

I had a great experience with the TWC number listed above while switching a CableCard from a Premiere to a Roamio. I was on hold for less than five minutes and on the phone for another few minutes for the pairing process. The timing of my call may have helped with the wait time. I'm on the West coast, the CableCard team is out East, and I called around 5 pm here or 8 pm there.

I called a second time a few hours later when only 2 of the 6 tuners on my Roamio seemed to be working and got equally competent help. I thought maybe my CableCard didn't support 6 streams, but the tech support guy checked on the make and firmware version I had and convinced me that it should. It turned out he was right and my tuning adapter just needed rebooting.

The whole process was MUCH smoother than four years ago when I first got my Premiere. Back then, they insisted on a service call, and it took three trips out over more than a week before I got a technician who knew what he was doing.
AAinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 06:57 PM   #19
KTOA

TWC CC Transfer

A week ago I transferred a CC from a Premiere to a Roamio. I always call TiVo and have them conf call TWC.

It was painless, virtually no wait for TWC to answer the phone, and complete in about 10 minutes. I like having TiVo on the phone to answer any tech questions.
KTOA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:16 PM   #20
Bluesfan77

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTOA View Post
A week ago I transferred a CC from a Premiere to a Roamio. I always call TiVo and have them conf call TWC.

It was painless, virtually no wait for TWC to answer the phone, and complete in about 10 minutes. I like having TiVo on the phone to answer any tech questions.
I did the same when I moved from my HD to Roamio Plus on Charter. It was nice to have both CSRs on the line.
Bluesfan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 06:33 AM   #21
The TiVo Dude

Comcast here.

Moved the card and did a refresh via their automated line - all good.
The TiVo Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 05:08 PM   #22
smbaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The TiVo Dude View Post
Moved the card and did a refresh via their automated line - all good.
Automated line? Where did you get that number? Is it on the page that CrispyCritter linked?
Old 01-10-2014, 05:28 PM   #23
mpf541

Quote:
I have done this in the Chicago area 2 times. When the Roamio first came out it took a couple calls to Comcast. One with the tivo rep on the call to tell Comcast what to do.

I did it again last week and the tech from Comcast knew exactly what to do and got it done right away. But I called the cable card # I found by searching this forum. It just takes some that know they have to unpair it from the old box and then pair to new box.
mpf541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 05:35 PM   #24
smbaker

Well, I just finished talking to them:

1) I tried the website: "We are unable to communicate with our system"

2) I tried the automated line: "We are unable to find an account associated with your phone number"

3) I tried the voice line, where I talked to a very nice lady who I could barely understand. Gave her the last four letters of the cablecard S/N, was on hold for about 2 minutes, and it's supposed to be all done.

I still can't tune HBO, but I think she said something about it 'taking a while'.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:28 AM   #25
smbaker

Two questions:

1) Is there a way to tell from a diagnostic screen whether or not the card is properly paired with the new box?

2) Assuming the lady on the phone did what she was supposed to do (un-pair and re-pair), how long should it take for my premium channels to start working again?
Old 01-11-2014, 12:13 PM   #26
Tom Pich

Quote:
Two questions:

1) Is there a way to tell from a diagnostic screen whether or not the card is properly paired with the new box?

2) Assuming the lady on the phone did what she was supposed to do (un-pair and re-pair), how long should it take for my premium channels to start working again?
1. Navigate to the Cable Card menu. (Tivo Central > Settings and Messages > Account and System Info > CableCard Decoder > CableCard Options > CableCard menu) Select "Conditional Access". "Val" should read "V" if the card is paired correctly. "?" will appear if it not. BTW: The "Con" value signifies whether the card is activated or not. (Yes or No) This is how to get there on the Premiere. I'm assuming it is the same on the Roamio.

2. In my experience not more than 40 minutes.

Last edited by Tom Pich : 01-11-2014 at 12:30 PM.
Tom Pich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 01:34 PM   #27
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
I still can't tune HBO, but I think she said something about it 'taking a while'.
When it works it works almost immediately. I've got the "it can take a while" excuse a few times and every time it ended up not working and I had to call back.

These guys can really be idiots when it comes to CableCARDs. When I installed my Sister's 2 HD units they had to send a tech both times to get the cards working. The first one made a call and got it working in like 30 seconds. The second one was on the phone with some other idiot for like an hour then suddenly something they did made it work and neither of them really knew what. It was just magic.

Luckily when I moved the cards from my Premiere to my Roamio, and then later moved my wife's Premiere to an XL4, both times it was real easy. I was dreading it both times.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:39 PM   #28
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
When it works it works almost immediately. I've got the "it can take a while" excuse a few times and every time it ended up not working and I had to call back.
This wasn't my experience with Comcast. I was missing some channels after the card was paired to the Roamio. HBO eventually came on in a few hours. Channels like FOX News were missing for a day or two. I didn't really notice when they came back but it definitely didn't happen immediately. YMMV of course.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:55 AM   #29
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Agree with Dan here, on Comcast in the ATL with a few card pairings all channels (including HBO) worked right away when done correctly.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:34 AM   #30
dbenrosen

My Roamio Plus is coming tomorrow. I have Fios CableCARDs in my old S3 (with OLED display). They are M-Cards, but I've had them for at least 4 years. Should I replace/exchange one for a new card or have they not upgraded the cards at all?
dbenrosen is offline   Reply With Quote