TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:12 PM   #31
villager-li

I THINK THE ISSUE IS FIXED.

I tried Tivo Support again after my iPad starting freezing when streaming video. Within the first 5 minutes of the call, the agent (William) asked if I had FiOS. And once I confirmed I did, he asked me if I had a MI424WR router, which I confirmed. Then he asked how I connected the Roamio to the router and I told him Coax and Ethernet (same as the previous Premiere unit). He immediately told me that's the problem - since I am using MoCA with the Mini, and the FiOS network in my home is already MoCA enabled, connecting the Roamio with the Ethernet in addition to Coax is causing the Roamio to try and set up a new MoCA network and that will conflict with the Verizon network (or something along those lines). He instructed me to disconnect the Ethernet and use only the Coax connection. It's been about 2 hours since then and everything is working 100% perfect - iPad streaming and Mini.

Thank you William for your help! No thanks to all the others at Tivo who were not able to help me fix such a simple issue!!!

If anyone from Tivo is reading this, I really hope you understand just how poor the support has been on this issue. This could have been resolved on the first call, without me having to go nuts troubleshooting everything in my house. And, why don't your instructions state that you can't set it up the way I had it if you have FiOS - all I did was follow your instructions!

I hope this helps others who have similar problems....

villager-li is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:58 AM   #32
sangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by villager-li View Post
I THINK THE ISSUE IS FIXED.

I tried Tivo Support again after my iPad starting freezing when streaming video. Within the first 5 minutes of the call, the agent (William) asked if I had FiOS. And once I confirmed I did, he asked me if I had a MI424WR router, which I confirmed. Then he asked how I connected the Roamio to the router and I told him Coax and Ethernet (same as the previous Premiere unit). He immediately told me that's the problem - since I am using MoCA with the Mini, and the FiOS network in my home is already MoCA enabled, connecting the Roamio with the Ethernet in addition to Coax is causing the Roamio to try and set up a new MoCA network and that will conflict with the Verizon network (or something along those lines). He instructed me to disconnect the Ethernet and use only the Coax connection. It's been about 2 hours since then and everything is working 100% perfect - iPad streaming and Mini.

Thank you William for your help! No thanks to all the others at Tivo who were not able to help me fix such a simple issue!!!

If anyone from Tivo is reading this, I really hope you understand just how poor the support has been on this issue. This could have been resolved on the first call, without me having to go nuts troubleshooting everything in my house. And, why don't your instructions state that you can't set it up the way I had it if you have FiOS - all I did was follow your instructions!

I hope this helps others who have similar problems....
Just wondering if everything is still working well with your setup since this change.

sangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:00 AM   #33
villager-li

Yep, everything works perfectly now with the Roamio only using MoCA without Ethernet.

Old 12-29-2013, 06:46 PM   #34
jntc

Unfortunately, I don't have FIOS. I still have the stuttering video and audio dropouts. I too can rewind and play it right back, and it plays fine with no skip on audio or video. However, live TV is doing it quite a bit. I also have ~280 PHY and good 2400mhz splitters, and a POE, with all 'home run' cable runs to the devices. I've also tried via ethernet and get the same issues (actually worse it seems) I've swapped out the mini's and still get the issues.

jntc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 06:49 PM   #35
ccoulson

I hate to resurrect a year old plus thread, but this seems to be the only thread about Minis skipping and freezing.

I just set up a new Roamio (replacing my Series4+) with 2 Minis connected via MoCA. I do have a POE filter installed. I also have a three-way splitter post POE, then a splitter at the living room drop with one going to the Roamio and one going to my Comcast voice/internet gateway. I do have a Monster surge protector that the cable goes through prior to getting to the Roamio.

The Minis are showing good TX/RX PHY rates in the 260-280 range with PWR -20. There are very few packet errors (18 out of 800M).

But, one Mini in particular I have noticed is experiencing freezing/skipping of 2 seconds. I have only noticed this on SD channels, not on HD.

The PWR of -20 seems a bit concerning? Thoughts?

ccoulson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 07:02 PM   #36
villager-li

My entire problem was related to my Roamio unit having both a MoCA connection and Ethernet connection active at the same time. You can only use 1 or the other. I disconnected the Ethernet and that fixed the entir problem (unfortunately took many hours of troubleshooting and multiple calls to TiVo support before an agent finally gave me this advice).

Old 01-25-2015, 09:02 PM   #37
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccoulson View Post
I hate to resurrect a year old plus thread, but this seems to be the only thread about Minis skipping and freezing.

I just set up a new Roamio (replacing my Series4+) with 2 Minis connected via MoCA. I do have a POE filter installed. I also have a three-way splitter post POE, then a splitter at the living room drop with one going to the Roamio and one going to my Comcast voice/internet gateway. I do have a Monster surge protector that the cable goes through prior to getting to the Roamio.

The Minis are showing good TX/RX PHY rates in the 260-280 range with PWR -20. There are very few packet errors (18 out of 800M).

But, one Mini in particular I have noticed is experiencing freezing/skipping of 2 seconds. I have only noticed this on SD channels, not on HD.

The PHY rates are golden... Villager makes a good point. Is the moca network created by an adapter or the DVR? How is the DVR connected?

Any amps on the line?
Try removing Monster protector?
Change the moca channel one or two notches higher on each device.
Try swapping the Minis and see if the problem follows the Mini or stays at the location.

BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 08:43 PM   #38
ccoulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by villager-li View Post
My entire problem was related to my Roamio unit having both a MoCA connection and Ethernet connection active at the same time. You can only use 1 or the other. I disconnected the Ethernet and that fixed the entir problem (unfortunately took many hours of troubleshooting and multiple calls to TiVo support before an agent finally gave me this advice).
@Villager-li, not sure I follow. Doesn't the Roamio need the Ethernet connection back to the cable modem to get it's "WAN" network access? Note, I am not on Fios but on Comcast, and Comcast disables MoCA through their supplied modems.

Old 01-26-2015, 08:45 PM   #39
ccoulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
The PHY rates are golden... Villager makes a good point. Is the moca network created by an adapter or the DVR? How is the DVR connected?

Any amps on the line?
Try removing Monster protector?
Change the moca channel one or two notches higher on each device.
Try swapping the Minis and see if the problem follows the Mini or stays at the location.
@BigJimOutlaw- The MoCA network was created by the Roamio. The Roamio is then connected to my Comcast modem via ethernet. As I mentioned above, apparently Comcast disables MoCA support on their supplied cable modems.

I previously had amps (3, for some reason) on the line which I have removed. The room experiencing the skipping is at the end of a home run and the furthest point from the POE.

Old 01-27-2015, 03:37 PM   #40
jntc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccoulson View Post

Funny that you mention SD channels... this is where my skipping resides as well. Haven't found anything to solve it yet. Same setup as you btw...

Also, it's only a few of the SD channels. I attribute this to a problem from Comcast cramming, compressing, too many channels, but not quite sure of this even... Especially since it only seems to be present on the SD channels.

Frustrating at best...

Comcast
Moca is created by the Roamio
Roamio connected to Internet via Ethernet
Swapped out mini's same problems, all locations (I have four mini's)
No amps
Good signals as mentioned in top post
Have tried ALL moca channels over the year

jntc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 10:22 PM   #41
XIBM

Try turning off the cable modem and see if the skipping goes away, maybe you got a modem that Moca was not turned off on.

Old 02-02-2015, 08:27 PM   #42
cfulc

I am having the same trouble with the Mini - but I don't see on the Roamio an option to connect to the internet via MoCA, only wireless and Ethernet.
I have two minis and connecting both with Ethernet would be challenging.
Am I missing something?

cfulc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 08:32 PM   #43
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfulc View Post
I am having the same trouble with the Mini - but I don't see on the Roamio an option to connect to the internet via MoCA, only wireless and Ethernet.
I have two minis and connecting both with Ethernet would be challenging.
Am I missing something?
How are the Minis connected to your network? What about the Roamio?

Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 08:47 PM   #44
cfulc

The Roamio is connected with the coax cable and wireless. I have the two minis connected via MoCA (I have a Verizon Fios router). One has been working okay (but we don't watch that one very often). On the other, I receive "Network Slow" errors and skipping on HD channels.
I moved my router and connected that mini via ethernet - still skipped. Tried static IP addresses, rebooted everything. Nothing has worked.

The main Roamio box works fine with not issues at all.

Old 02-02-2015, 08:50 PM   #45
Arcady
Stargate Fan

If everything is on coax, turn off wireless on the Roamio and connect it via MoCA as well. If it is connecting via wireless, that means all traffic to the Minis has to go over wireless too. (You can't do wireless + MoCA, only Ethernet + MoCA.)

When you put the Mini on ethernet, it was still trying to connect to the Roamio over wireless, since that was the only active network connection on the Roamio.

ETA: (This assumes you have a Roamio that can do MoCA. If not, use a MoCA adapter or run ethernet to the Roamio.)

Old 02-02-2015, 08:54 PM   #46
cfulc

I went to try that also, but my Romeo only has two options to connect to the network: wireless and ethernet. MoCA isn't an options (as on the Minis)

Old 02-02-2015, 08:57 PM   #47
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Okay. The thing is, it will never work right as long as you connect the HOST via wireless. You need a wired connection on the Roamio. If you have a cheap basic Roamio, you can buy a MoCA adapter and be done. Or you can run ethernet to it. Either way, you must run the system on a wired network. Some people have gotten it to work on wireless, but it is never reliable.

Old 02-03-2015, 06:37 AM   #48
cfulc

Yes, I just have the basic Roamio. I have some powerline adapters. Has anyone had any sucess using them? I may give that a try or I can move my router (and use a spltter) and run a Ethernet cable.

Old 02-03-2015, 04:36 PM   #49
cfulc

Update - moving the cable modem and connecting via ethernet seemed to do the trick! Thanks for all your help.

Old 02-03-2015, 05:28 PM   #50
Arcady
Stargate Fan

That's great!

Old 07-22-2015, 07:34 AM   #51
wmblanken

Fixed!

This thread helped me fix my freezing and v87 issues so wanted to post how I fixed it. It was actually simple. I have Verizon Fios and as another poster in this thread mentioned, Fios routers have a built in MOCA adapter so creates a MOCA network in your house. They do this to feed their proprietary cable boxes with guide info, updates, etc via the Internet. You can confirm this by looking at your router. If you see a coax from the router connected to a splitter that feeds your other rooms, that's the MOCA connection.

When I connected my minis I used coax rather than Ethernet because one of my locations has coax only and no Ethernet. To do this I enabled the MOCA network via the TiVo roamio. So now I have two MOCA networks going which as the other poster mentioned are somehow crashing in to one another.

There are two fixes for this. The easiest is to simply unplug the Ethernet from your main roamio. Do this while you are on the network settings screen and you should see the network type change immediately from Ethernet + MOCA to just MOCA. Now the roamio and all the minis are using the Verizon Fios MOCA network, not the TiVo one. Boom, this fixed my problem. 24 hours without v87 or freezing.

Second fix, and I'll caveat this by saying I only tested briefly. You can disable the Tivos roamios MOCA adapter by selecting Ethernet as the network source in the network setup process. So on the network settings screen you should see only Ethernet on the network settings screen on TiVo Roamio. You can still use MOCA for the minis. They will use the network created by the Fios router no problem. Note, in this case you will have both coax and Ethernet cables into the roamio and only coax in the minis.

Also note, I did setup static IP addresses for each mini and the roamio in a previous attempt to fix the problem. I do not know if this was necessary or not. I will likely go back to dhcp and run it for a while to see if this has any effect.

wmblanken is offline   Reply With Quote