TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-21-2013, 11:44 AM   #1
RichieR

Newbie with copy protection messages

Hello all,

I'm new to the Tivo Roamio Plus and these forums so I apologize if I'm posting in the wrong place.

I got my Roamio yesterday, had the cablecard installed and went on a rampage recording everything I could find. At night when I settled into watch it, I received two copy protection messages...

This was while a movie was recording on TMCHD:

And this was while recording HBOHD:

I had an external drive connected to my Samsung LED SmartTV at the time. Once I disconnected the drive, the message went away on the HBO show but it was too late as the Tivo deleted the TMC movie.

Is the dang TV somehow "telling" the TIVO there's a drive attached? I don't want to copy, move or transfer the shows...I just want to watch them, that's all and I'd like to keep the drive attached as I have lots of family home movies that we want to watch over the holidays.

Anyway, sorry if this is the wrong board but I'm not sure what to do short of disconnecting the drive as I don't want my shows wiped out automatically.

Thanks for any advice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Deleted.jpg (105.9 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg Protected.jpg (110.4 KB, 165 views)
RichieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 12:39 PM   #2
caughey

Welcome to TiVo!

The change in behavior with the hard drive is interesting, I haven't heard that before.

You'll want to read up on the CCI byte:
http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/.../sno/0#digital

Check the CCI values on the channels you are having trouble with (and ones you are not). Most channels should be either 0x00 or 0x02, depending on your cable co. It sounds like your CCI might be set to 0x03 or 0x07, which require the TiVo to delete the content after 90 minutes, but that is usually used for PPV content and not on a movie channel. It may have been set by mistake by your cable co. If so, hopefully it will self-correct because you'll have a hard time trying to get them to fix it otherwise.

Reply back with what you find, your cableco name, and location. Maybe someone here can compare notes with you.
caughey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 03:32 PM   #3
PCurry57
Liberal Hippie Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by caughey View Post
The change in behavior with the hard drive is interesting, I haven't heard that before.

Check the CCI values on the channels you are having trouble with (and ones you are not). Most channels should be either 0x00 or 0x02, depending on your cable co. It sounds like your CCI might be set to 0x03 or 0x07, which require the TiVo to delete the content after 90 minutes, but that is usually used for PPV content and not on a movie channel. It may have been set by mistake by your cable co. If so, hopefully it will self-correct because you'll have a hard time trying to get them to fix it otherwise.

Reply back with what you find, your cableco name, and location. Maybe someone here can compare notes with you.

This could also be the cable provider. During the last summer Olympics TWC set this bit on all the 3D content so when I arrived home from church I couldn't watch the events if recorded. Someone I know who had a TWC dvr did not have this restriction placed on them.
PCurry57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 04:03 PM   #4
RichieR

Quote:
Originally Posted by caughey View Post

OK checked the CCI values per Tivo's instructions and both channels show 0x00,which according to Tivo aren’t protected.

Weird that as soon as I disconnected the WD Passport from the TV's USB input and turned the Samsung off then back on, the HBO show didn't have that message and I could watch it, no problem. The TMCHD show was no longer in "My Shows". I wonder if this dang Samsung SmartTV can communicate with the cable card somehow.

I'm using Jackson Energy Authority (fiber to the home) in Jackson, TN.
Old 12-21-2013, 04:11 PM   #5
RichieR

Big Grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCurry57 View Post
This could also be the cable provider. During the last summer Olympics TWC set this bit on all the 3D content so when I arrived home from church I couldn't watch the events if recorded. Someone I know who had a TWC dvr did not have this restriction placed on them.
Hmmm...I never had this issue with the antiquated Motorola DVR box they gave me last month...Which by the way, only could handle about 20hrs of HD content.

Have to say, I love the Roamio! Just don't want to have shows wiped before I can even watch 'em (particularly while they're still recording). She's gonna be one angry warden if she misses her shows after I told her how great this was and I "needed" it for both of us for Christmas.
Old 12-22-2013, 06:10 AM   #6
jcthorne

You could disconnect the drive from the tv and transfer the shows you have stored on it to the TiVo. Having the drive connected to the tv when you have TiVo is redundant anyway.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 07:30 AM   #7
RichieR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
You could disconnect the drive from the tv and transfer the shows you have stored on it to the TiVo. Having the drive connected to the tv when you have TiVo is redundant anyway.
I think that's the plan...Good idea and thank you.