TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-08-2013, 09:31 AM   #61
Donbadabon
Geocacher

Related, kinda.

Color photo from the set of the original Addams Family black-and-white television show.

Look at all that pink.

http://boingboing.net/2013/11/06/col...riginal-a.html
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 02:49 PM   #62
trainman
Nice to see you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbadabon View Post
Look at all that pink.
Looks like the color in this photo is faded to an extent, so it wasn't really that pink.
Old 11-08-2013, 03:00 PM   #63
tiassa
Me --Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Not the same thing at all, but there's still almost a whole season of Twilight Zone episodes (season 4) that I haven't seen, because they're hour long episodes that don't rerun. I know they're considered to be much worse, but even halfways decent "new" (to me) twilight zone episodes would be awesome. But they ALSO don't seem to ever show up on the streaming sites, even though the other seasons do show up.. So at some point I may actually just buy the DVD or BluRay set (and yeah, probably all seasons, as a completist). (I think 2 eps were edited together for a "TV movie" in the late 80s or early 90s.)
They do turn up when Syfy does their TZ holiday marathons, so you might want to wait until after Thanksgiving and see what turns up then. I've seen several of them and they aren't as good, the extra time actually takes away from the Classic TZ "Twist ending". Note that when Rod Serling got a 1 hr network show (Night Gallery), he typicallly told 2 stories in the hour (and frequently they weren't 30 mins each.
tiassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 03:09 PM   #64
unitron

Quote:
... (I don't know exactly how the playback of film to TV works, but of course that was done too.)
Google "flying spot scanner".

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:21 PM   #65
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiassa View Post
They do turn up when Syfy does their TZ holiday marathons, so you might want to wait until after Thanksgiving and see what turns up then. I've seen several of them and they aren't as good, the extra time actually takes away from the Classic TZ "Twist ending". Note that when Rod Serling got a 1 hr network show (Night Gallery), he typicallly told 2 stories in the hour (and frequently they weren't 30 mins each.
I guess I had only seen half hour reruns of Night Gallery.. I had thought it was a half hour show (though I *do* know that in syndication, they merged in an unrelated Gary Collins show).

But also, IIRC, for "Night Gallery", he was basically JUST a hired host... not heavily involved with it like TZ.
mattack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 12:34 PM   #66
tiassa
Me --Avatar

Quote:
I guess I had only seen half hour reruns of Night Gallery.. I had thought it was a half hour show (though I *do* know that in syndication, they merged in an unrelated Gary Collins show).
The "half hour" version of Night gallery was done for syndication purposes, and many of the segments from the hour long show were severely hacked up to make them fit
Quote:
But also, IIRC, for "Night Gallery", he was basically JUST a hired host... not heavily involved with it like TZ.
I think Serling thought he was going to have the same amount of control as he did on TZ, but the suits at the network thought otherwise, and by the end of the 3rd season "Creative differences" ended the show (at least according to Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_Gallery)
tiassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 08:11 PM   #67
Donbadabon
Geocacher

I liked seeing the Lucy Christmas special tonight in color. And for the flashback they used the original black and white.

One thing I found interesting is that Santa brought and decorated the tree on Christmas Eve. Is that how that generation did it? I've never heard of that before.
Old 12-21-2013, 05:49 AM   #68
kimsan
underling

Quote:
One thing I found interesting is that Santa brought and decorated the tree on Christmas Eve. Is that how that generation did it? I've never heard of that before.
I've only known one person who did that. Never heard of the tradition before or since until now.

kim
kimsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 06:40 AM   #69
TomK

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimsan View Post
I've only known one person who did that. Never heard of the tradition before or since until now.
In the movie 'The Bishop's Wife' (Cary Grant, Loretta Young, David Niven) the Christmas tree is purchased early but not delivered until Christmas Eve. Maybe it was the custom to wait late into December.
TomK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 09:35 AM   #70
gweempose

I'm bummed that I forgot to record this.
(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 06:58 PM   #71
MScottC

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Google "flying spot scanner".
Actually that was at least the second generation of film to television technology. Originally as early as the 50s (and maybe even the 40s) and for many years up into the 80s, maybe later in some markets, "film chains" were in play. They were basically a film projector pointed right into a TV camera. The 24 frames per second of film had to be converted to 30 frames or 60 fields per second of TV. This was done by a system called "3:2 pulldown" where one frame of film was transmitted on 3 fields of video, and the next frame of film was only transmitted with 2 fields. In many television facilities, three projectors, perhaps 1 16mm, one 35mm slide projector, and one super 8 projector, were pointed at a system of mirrors that would direct the light from one of the three projectors into the camera.
Flying spot scanners only came into the mix in the early 80s if I remember correctly.
MScottC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:26 AM   #72
TonyD79

Quote:
I liked seeing the Lucy Christmas special tonight in color. And for the flashback they used the original black and white. One thing I found interesting is that Santa brought and decorated the tree on Christmas Eve. Is that how that generation did it? I've never heard of that before.
When I was a kid (60s), there were some families that did their tree Christmas Eve and that was a minor topic of discussion about when different families did it. Those that did it were in the minority and I don't remember any saying Santa brought it. But then we didn't have Christmas stuff in stores until after thanksgiving.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:18 PM   #73
mrdbdigital
The TBS Archives

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by MScottC View Post
Actually that was at least the second generation of film to television technology. Originally as early as the 50s (and maybe even the 40s) and for many years up into the 80s, maybe later in some markets, "film chains" were in play. They were basically a film projector pointed right into a TV camera. The 24 frames per second of film had to be converted to 30 frames or 60 fields per second of TV. This was done by a system called "3:2 pulldown" where one frame of film was transmitted on 3 fields of video, and the next frame of film was only transmitted with 2 fields. In many television facilities, three projectors, perhaps 1 16mm, one 35mm slide projector, and one super 8 projector, were pointed at a system of mirrors that would direct the light from one of the three projectors into the camera.
Flying spot scanners only came into the mix in the early 80s if I remember correctly.
In my entire broadcasting career, I have never seen or heard of anyone having a super 8 projector on a broadcast film chain. Only formats I have seen on a traditional camera film chain are slides, 16mm, and 35mm.
mrdbdigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:02 AM   #74
jamesbobo
with a grain of salt

The first thing I noticed was Ricky with a cigarette. You don't see too many smokers in sitcoms today.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:04 AM   #75
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

I watched a couple minutes at the beginning. The color is better than older efforts at colorization, but still jarringly unrealistic. Took me right out of the story.

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:41 AM   #76
Donbadabon
Geocacher

This is pretty cool. It is mixing the actual B&W footage filmed along with a color camera that looks like it was filmed from the crew.

I Love Lucy - On Stage Color Footage (1951)

Old 12-23-2013, 07:54 AM   #77
late for dinner
Past Expiration Date

My Wife and I enjoyed the memories. Color or not!

I find it interesting when an old show comes up I ask her "did you watch that as a kid" and it turns out that we liked and disliked the same shows. Maybe we were meant for each other.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:09 AM   #78
sieglinde

Decorating the Christmas tree on Christmas Eve is a German custom (actually the Kris Kind does the decoration while the kids are asleep). My mother who is not German insisted that Christmas started December 1st and we had a tree for the normal American duration not my Dad's German tradition.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:52 AM   #79
Rkkeller

I have not seen Lucy in years, but did they look old as heck???

I don't remember them being that old, but it has been years since I last saw the show.
Rkkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 01:57 PM   #80
n548gxg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkkeller View Post
I have not seen Lucy in years, but did they look old as heck???

I don't remember them being that old, but it has been years since I last saw the show.
The episode was filmed on November 22, 1956. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of....E2.80.9357.29

Thus Ricky was 39 and Lucy was 45.
n548gxg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 02:24 PM   #81
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by n548gxg View Post
The episode was filmed on November 22, 1956. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of....E2.80.9357.29 Thus Ricky was 39 and Lucy was 45.
Desi was a hard 39. He drank, smoked and ran around.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:31 PM   #82
MScottC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdbdigital View Post
In my entire broadcasting career, I have never seen or heard of anyone having a super 8 projector on a broadcast film chain. Only formats I have seen on a traditional camera film chain are slides, 16mm, and 35mm.
Local Cable System, Middle School TV studio, and college (S.I. Newhouse School of Communications at Syracuse University) all had Super 8 on our film chains, along with 16mm and slides. Once I hit the professional level, I was strictly videotape. It seemed everyone working in Telecine at CBS was 20 years my senior .
MScottC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 11:39 PM   #83
Kamakzie
Are you serious bro?

Was it just me or did Fred look weird in color?
Old 12-24-2013, 06:46 AM   #84
LlamaLarry

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieglinde View Post
Decorating the Christmas tree on Christmas Eve is a German custom (actually the Kris Kind does the decoration while the kids are asleep). My mother who is not German insisted that Christmas started December 1st and we had a tree for the normal American duration not my Dad's German tradition.
I had some friends that put up their tree on Christmas Eve and they also took it down very quickly, maybe even Christmas Day. We always had ours up by Dec 1 and took it down after New Year's.
LlamaLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 07:41 PM   #85
phox_mulder
I get paid 2watch TV

CBS is airing it again Christmas Day evening for those that missed it the first time.

phox

TiVo S3-65 HD Hours-Lifetime
TiVo HD 20 HD Hours
DirecTV HR21-700 80+ HD Hours
DirecTV HR20-100 80+ HD Hours
Harmony 880 Remote Control
phox_mulder is offline   Reply With Quote